Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Top10 soundcards for HEADPHONES

Xtreme Legend
    How about you consider a headphone DAC straight into MB optical

Choices are out there but costs might be an issue

http://www.whathifi.com/reviews/acce...headphone-amps

maybe...

https://www.springwateraudio.com/sto...&products_id=5
    Last edited by OldChap; 11-07-2011 at 12:12 PM.

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Pie assassin
    im home sick today and listening to some tunes so i thought id chime in...

ive been through just about every sound card on the market and i keep going back to onboard... drivers are such a hassle

all the dsp stuff included with modern sound cards is useless to me... best $40 i ever spent was on a K272A kit that i built (heavily modified) to run my audiotechnica ath-a700's. K272A got a complete re-cap treatment (mixture of nichicon muse, elna silmic II, and mundorf m-caps) and burrbrowns 2107 as well as gold plated socket and matched JAN6418 (same tubes as stock... just matched)

id have to agree that old chap is right and an external dac will give you the best audio when compared to a add in sound card. thats next on my to build list
    Last edited by ZenEffect; 12-14-2011 at 08:21 AM.
    Current Status - Testing & Research

i too have been looking since ive grown tiered of creatives ty support.

im going to be getting an maudio fast track pro, it dose usb or spdif in from the computer and it works without a computer if u want to use it as a pre amp or reviver, and it can power bd 770 pro 250 ohm headphones with a alot of volume knob unused (i think it was at a little less than half)
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...41710000000000

the only problem is one spdif since i would not want to use an onboard usb controller for HDDs and audio and i like to have spdif in from my monitor putting the hdmi audio cleanly from my ps3 when im watching a movie.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

so i got a fast track pro, to make the audio of usable quality u have to disable all inputs and there is a nice high pitched whine in it. so its going back to guitar center. and once again there is no upgrade to the SBA2 plat pro other than the SBA4 and the driver problems are still there.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

Aussie God
    Uhm next question coming up...

Is the Essence STX the top pick as well for me, if I want to watch movies and play music, on my surround receiver? Or is there something else I should look at for the HTPC?
    And which connectors should I use? Coxial to receivier so that I can have all channels? or what do you guys suggest.
    Competition ranking;
    2005; Netbyte, Karise/Denmark #1 @ PiFast
    2008; AOCM II, Minfeld/Germany #2 @ 01SE/AM3/8M (w. Oliver)
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;
    2010; GOOC 2010 Many thanks to Gigabyte!

if u are going to a receiver u dont need anything but onboard with an spdif connector that matches your receiver (so hdmi, optical toslink, rca, coax)

Xtreme Cruncher
    Can't seem to find a good answer so i'm just going to try out different equipment.
    Xonar DG with headphone amp for $30 is first. (some reviewers say it comes close to the STX) I was looking at the external Fiio E10 for $80 but then i have to find a place for it and i don't think i get the features for gaming, some say you get about the same price on actual hardware since they have to package those Dac/Amp combos and throw in a power supply.

One of the best values is supposed to be the $180 Audinst MX-1 combo, but in that range i want to try the STX for my gaming rig (no Creative ever again!) Why the hell did they even come out with PCI-E versions if you still have to use a molex connector to power it anyway?

If you want a fun cheap headphone TC try the Panasonic HTF600 for $30, you'll get that bass that the other guy was bragging about with his M50s.
    Last edited by Kingcarcas; 01-05-2012 at 02:16 PM.
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything

Aussie God
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    if u are going to a receiver u dont need anything but onboard with an spdif connector that matches your receiver (so hdmi, optical toslink, rca, coax)
    so, for my HTPC a soundcard is useless?
    Competition ranking;
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;

Xtreme Addict
    No,it improves the source audio.
    Sound card should use parts just as good or better than what receiver has.
    I use gold coax plug for six channel mode which is digital only and 5.1 uses standard plugs.
    Last edited by Hell Hound; 01-05-2012 at 04:30 PM.

Aussie God
    Quote Originally Posted by Hell Hound View Post
    And what would be suitable for using then?
    Competition ranking;

Spectating;

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by M.Beier View Post
    And what would be suitable for using then?
    Pci would be Claro Halo card and pci-e would be a Auzentech HomeTheater HD

Aussie God
    Pci would be Claro Halo card and pci-e would be a Auzentech HomeTheater HD
    Auch that Auzentech has a vast pricetag... something closer to half the price?
    Competition ranking;

Spectating;

Xtreme Addict
    X-FI Titanium HD
    Last edited by Hell Hound; 01-05-2012 at 05:05 PM.

Aussie God
    X-FI Titanium HD
    I got a x-fi titanium (none HD), would it make sense to use that for the HTPC... failtality thingie with a metal shield...

Then plug in a xonar essence stx for the daily computer.
    Competition ranking;

Spectating;

Xtreme Addict
    If watching movies is important then Stx for HTPC AND Headfi amp for desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by M.Beier View Post
    so, for my HTPC a soundcard is useless?
    not always but yes for the most part, the audio quality will not improve.

Sound card should use parts just as good or better than what receiver has.
    I use gold coax plug for six channel mode which is digital only and 5.1 uses standard plugs.
    what will the sound card do when u are using digital out, dose it use magic to make it sound better than the source as the receiver can do all eq or leveling if u want it. windows dose not have HAL anymore so the literal only tank that the sound card dose for audio out is the DAC/amp and since your going digital out the dac is not doing anything.

Xtreme Addict
    I'm using both 2.1 stereo for music and 5.1 for movies with analog,6 channel w/digital on some games/movies
    I have listened to a couple of diff cards and quality does change when using a receiver also.
    I've tried a c-media card a xtreme music and a forte.The c-media has the best low end forte better highs and xfi-music is in between.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    While the ASUS Xonar Essence STX is a great card, after owning both it and the Creative X-Fi Titanium HD... my vote goes for the Creative product. I know I'm going to hear a lot of complaints over Creative's drivers, etc... which I agree with on all their products EXCEPT the Titanium HD. This card has been utterly fantastic for me and if you read the reviews around the web, even the most anti-creative reviewers were astonished when they tried this card.
    One thing about that poll on Head-Fi.... please remember the Asus Xonar Essence STX was released in January 2009, and the Titanium HD in October 2010, almost 2 years later. That difference of almost 2 years resulted in a ton of votes prior to the Titanium HD's release.

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton

Xtreme Addict
    I was thinking of trying an stx but it's old and my forte is doing the job just fine. I also had the titanium HD and non HD and I liked the forte sound much more although the HD was very close. Not sure what to do I really am dependant on cmss3d for gaming... Was then thinking about an e10 but for gaming.... Not sure if it will cut it.
    Mpower Max | 4770k | H100 | 16gb Sammy 30nm 1866 | GTX780 SC | Xonar Essence Stx | BIC DV62si | ATH AD700 | 550d | AX850 | VG24QE | 840pro 256gb | 640black | 2tb | CherryReds | m60 | Func1030 |
    HEAT

Xtreme Cruncher
    Awww crap, so i wasted $40 if my gaming rig is connected to an AVR? I could have sworn i heard a difference in the sound............or was it just placebo? Oh well....
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingcarcas View Post
    Awww crap, so i wasted $40 if my gaming rig is connected to an AVR? I could have sworn i heard a difference in the sound............or was it just placebo? Oh well....
    No NO NO! If you're gaming the sounds are converted to digital after real time interaction while Gaming. I think the other guy is talking about Movies and Music that are, and the new term is "Pure Digital Direct". The digital direct signal has no pre-processing like games, only post processing that unaffected by a Card or the Mobo. In fact many times it is treated as a Pass-Through where any card processing is by-passed for movies and music. You even select which processing you want, like DTS or DDL for eample and pick Internal or External processing.

Sorry I didn't hear much of a difference at all between the STX and Creative THD but the crative card is cheaper.

Again Mike, if you like the 280's that's fine. But it says a lot about what you like in sounds since the 280's have trouble with anything lower that 50Hz at volume levels above a whisper. It seems kind of counter productive to amp something that already strains worse than $27 Koss (if you can find any) and $20 JVC Cans at Wal-Mart. Now I don't say that as any kind of slam or put down. Because honestly, those two set of cans will surprise a lot of folks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Xtreme Cruncher
    I did try a few things before i popped it in and it did seem to make the sound better, so i want to say it isn't placebo but hey you never know....
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12