Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Warner, THQ and Capcom is coming to Origin

Xtreme Enthusiast

Warner, THQ and Capcom is coming to Origin

For a service that’s not competing with Valve’s Steam, EA’s Origin is sure beginning to look like a valid competitor. Electronic Arts announced today that it will begin offering titles from other major publishers, including Warner Bros Interactive Entertainment, THQ, and Capcom. Starting in November, new releases like Batman: Arkham City and Saints Row: The Third will join Battlefield 3 and Star Wars: The Old Republic on Origin.
    Source

Xtreme Addict
    Wow, they cant get their own titles to work correctly, and they are gonna add different ones.....
    X299X Aorus Master
    I9 10920x
    32gb Crucial Ballistix DDR4-4000
    EVGA 2070 Super x2
    Samsung 960 EVO 500GB
    4 512gb Silicon Power NVME
    4 480 Adata SSD
    2 1tb HGST 7200rpm 2.5 drives
    X-Fi Titanium
    1200 watt Lepa
    Custom water-cooled View 51TG

Xtreme Guru
    Great news! Personally, I love Origin.

Xtreme Addict
    as long as Batman and others are still available on steam. I have the first Batman on steam so i am fully expecting Arkham City to be available for purchase on their also otherwise the Batman game franchise might go down the pan quite rapidly.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    What's its advantage over Steam?
    Notice any grammar or spelling mistakes? Feel free to correct me! Thanks

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubar View Post
    as long as Batman and others are still available on steam. I have the first Batman on steam so i am fully expecting Arkham City to be available for purchase on their also otherwise the Batman game franchise might go down the pan quite rapidly.
    It will be, I have it on there already from a nvidia code.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    It has BF3, thats it.
    Last edited by nullface; 10-27-2011 at 09:12 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nullface View Post
    It has BF3, thats it.
    More competition only means lower prices, well, unless they all just start hoarding games which would actually be good. Would mean the we might get some new source games finally :p

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    - My support tickets have been answered in record time

- More competition = lower prices and better sales

- Totally LOCAL game files; I can launch through a dedicated .exe without Origin even running

- A very good Offline mode

- Unobtrusive update downloads that can run in the background while I play a game.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by nksharp View Post
    More competition only means lower prices, well, unless they all just start hoarding games which would actually be good. Would mean the we might get some new source games finally :p
    If:
    1 company has licenses for X game companies
    1 company has licenses for Y game companies

Unless they are both selling X and X or Y and Y I really doubt we're going to see a price battle between 2 completely different games. We'll see your Counter-strike at $49.99 and "raise" you a Battlefield for $47.99
    i3 2100, MSI H61M-E33. 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws.
    MSI GTX 460 Twin Frozr II. 1TB Caviar Blue.
    Corsair HX 620, CM 690, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit.

Xtreme Addict
    Lower prices, are you kidding me? Steam and Origin arnt gonna lower prices on the big titles no matter what. One has been able to buy hardcopys of games at a lower price than the steam price for ever, yet steam has not lower it's prices to counter the hard copys, people buy on staem/origin despite the price premium.

Xtreme Addict
    TRUE Lapped - Intel Core i7 2600k 4,7Ghz - ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 - Nvidia GTX 1080 FE - 16Gb Crucial 2133 Mhz CL9 1,51v - Crucial M4 256Gb - Crucial MX300 1050Gb - Corsair AX850 - Fractal Define R3

Xtreme Member
    I hate how I can't delete Battlefield 3 Beta from my Origin account, that reason alone is annoying me on a daily basis.
    Home PC: Intel i7 4770K @ 4.6ghz l Asus Maximus VI Hero l Corsair Dominator Plantinum 2400mhz (4x4GB) l Asus GTX 690 l Samsung 840 Pro 256gb l 2 x WD Black 1T storage drive l WD MyBook 500gb External l Samsung SH-S203N DVD l Creative X-Fi Titanium HD l Corsair AX1200 PSU l Planar SA2311W23 3D LCD Monitor l Corsair 800D Case l Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit l Sennheiser HD-590

Water Cooling Setup: Swiftech 320 Radiator (3 X Gentle Typhoons 1450rpm 3 x Gentle Typhoons 1850 rpm) l Swiftech Pump w/XSPC Res Top l Heatkiller 3.0 CPU Block l Heatkiller GPU-X GTX 690 "Hole Edition" Nickel l Heatkiller Geforce GTX 690 GPU Backplate l Koolance 140mm Radiator l Danger Den 1/2ID UV Green tubing l EK EKoolant UV Green Liquid

-Impossible is not a word

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nullface View Post
    Lower prices, are you kidding me? Steam and Origin arnt gonna lower prices on the big titles no matter what. One has been able to buy hardcopys of games at a lower price than the steam price for ever, yet steam has not lower it's prices to counter the hard copys, people buy on staem/origin despite the price premium.
    You do realize that ordinary stores require steam / publishers to have higher prices on their digital media, and the publishers want to have the store shelf space (still one of the strongest ways to promote titles), which leads to the current situation that the digital media, which has lower costs attached to it, will always be more expensive, until the day publishers start thinking that the lost shelf space of stores stopping to carry their titles, can be outweighted by lowering digital prices.

Xtreme Addict
    This is the most brazen and shameless trolling attempt I ever saw.

/not completely joking.

Worst news the PC community could have.

Xtreme Guru
    People's mindless defense of Steam is ridiculous.

I personally love the Steam service but having another large player in the digital download business allows the industry to avoid problems down the road. Granted, EA wouldn't be my first choice as a custodian but alongside Direct2Drive, I'd say we have a good trio of services right now.

We also have to remember that Steam's first two years of service was absolutely riddled with bugs, glitches and gremlins. The fact that Origin is still in Beta and performed quite well through the release of a stupidly popular game shows that it will become a serious, stable contender. Of course there are issues but I don't see what the issue is with having another download service...

Xtreme Addict
    I dont hate Origin as much as I did before but I know its a ty inevitability and we'll probably just have to deal with it because publishers want more control over how their games are digitally downloaded updated and more.
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    +1

Regardless of peoples issues with the EULA (which is unenforceable under UK Law) the only issues I had with Origin (not recognising my DAO Awakenings code) was solved immediately (got a free copy of the addon). Competition is good & Steam needs serious competition to kick them in the ass to get them moving forwards instead of back.

Impulse was a good effort, now defunct thanks to GameStop's dodgy management. Origin is taking the place that they vacated.
    Last edited by DeathReborn; 10-27-2011 at 01:30 PM. Reason: adding info

Xtreme Addict
    They need to fix their spying issue with it scanning your hard drives folders and files as this is simply not acceptable behaviour. I know there is a way of getting round this using sandboxie but you shouldnt have to goto all these measures just to keep your privacy from scummy EA.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathReborn View Post
    +1

Regardless of peoples issues with the EULA (which is unenforceable under UK Law) the only issues I had with Origin (not recognising my DAO Awakenings code) was solved immediately (got a free copy of the addon). Competition is good & Steam needs serious competition to kick them in the ass to get them moving forwards instead of back.

Impulse was a good effort, now defunct thanks to GameStop's dodgy management. Origin is taking the place that they vacated.
    Regardless of whether it is enforceable or not it is built into the software so its going to do it whether you like it or not, You will have to click on accept on the EULA to play BF3

Unless EA specifically come out and say that the data collection wont happen if you are in the UK then your entire computers software/hardware is going to be inventoried and sent back to EA.
    Last edited by Scubar; 10-27-2011 at 01:36 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Probably got a fast ticket response because there's only BF3 players on Origin atm :P

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

Ive had lots of issues with origin so far.
    I bought a copy of crysis 2, it downloaded and installed fine (speeds were pretty good). Started it up and it wouldnt let me play multiplayer.
    Checked the version number and it was an old version of the game.
    Origin is supposed to auto-update it - there appears to be no manual way to get it to update your games.
    I cant even install the dx11 patch or high res textures untill it updates itself.

Im hoping its just a bug which they will fix soon but its frustrating not being able to use something you just bought
    Asus Crosshair IV | AMD 1090t @ 4.0ghz | 2x2gb G-Skill Trident 1800mhz cl7 |XFX AMD 6970 2gb | 128gb Crucial m4 | Corsiar AX850
    Silverstone SST-FT02B-WRI Fortress | Yamaha A-S500 | Monitor Audio BX2 | ASUS Xonar Essence STX

Xtreme Mentor
    Steam fanboys are as bad as apple's sheep. How could more competition possibly be a bad thing.

Steams prices are a lot less competitive than they used to be. Games take forever to go on sale on Steam. I find myself using other sites like Amazon, D2D, gamersgate, and green man gaming more and more these days. Steam is usually the last place where the price on a game will drop. These aren't the people who I want having an apple style monopoly with my pc games.

I used to love EA download manager but with this Origin change they took a page out of the book of Steam and limited the install location which I hate. They also pretty much eliminated the backup system which was a crappy thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbagz View Post
    Probably got a fast ticket response because there's only BF3 players on Origin atm :P

-PB
    No, they are always like that. D2D is also just as quick with their responses. Do you honestly think that its ok that Valve takes three days or so to respond to a simple email? If I'm not mistaken they even have a phone number unlike valve. Valve's customer service is not their strong suit.
    Last edited by BababooeyHTJ; 10-27-2011 at 02:24 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Peoples' mindless defense of digital downloads is absurd.

We should be defending our rights as purchasers of physical copies of games to NOT have to install a digital download service to play our goddamn game. What is it with all this ty Steamworks and Origin integration? Seriously, just give me my goddamn game by itself. I didn't pay for bloatware and useless junk.

the problem i have with origin is that its trying to only have exclusive content. if we could get something going akin to the marketplace and amazon app store that would be great but what its looking to me is that each publisher will end with their own download service then i will have to have a ton of bloatware just to play games. then origin has sony DAC built in and i dont want anything to do with that.

i would love to see everything move to GOG but i dont see that happening.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    EA is one of the cancers of the whole gaming scene.
    EA, Activision and Ubisoft should burn in hell.
    EA uses it's size to stagnate the gaming scene. Games used to be better with each generation but now they have stagnated. Game X part 2 is no better than X part 1.
    Activision is also guilty of this.

I publicly lol at anybody who says "competition is good" regarding Origin.
    Origin is competition for nobody.
    You should check the Spanish Origin shop. BF3 49.9€, that's exactly the same price as retail. Where's the competition?

Origin does not ask you where do you want to install the folders. It places them wherever it sees fit and then it's up to you to move them to a better place.
    You can't install Origin on a folder called "Origin".
    The EA download shop was anything but fast so we'll see how fast is Origin when it has as many customers as Steam has.

Not to say the already mentioned HDD scan Origin performs.

I bet you that Steam and Origin ARE NOT going into a price war. Origin will sell Warner and THQ games at the same price as other services. No discount.
    The only single way EA can succed with Origin is games exclusivity, and they will use it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast