Thread: In a Switch, H.P. Chief Will Keep the PC Group

Xtreme Member

In a Switch, H.P. Chief Will Keep the PC Group

By QUENTIN HARDY

SAN FRANCISCO — Meg Whitman is moving as fast as she can to figure out a strategy for Hewlett-Packard. For starters, she wants to keep selling personal computers.

On Thursday, Ms. Whitman, H.P.’s chief executive, announced that the company would retain its PC division. The division, called the personal systems group, was responsible for almost one third, or $40 billion, of H.P.’s $126 billion in revenue in its last fiscal year.

“First and foremost, H.P. is a hardware company,” she said in an interview. “We want to build out our software, but I don’t think we are done yet on hardware. There is a lot of opportunity.”

The company’s former chief executive, Léo Apotheker, announced in August that the company was considering selling or spinning off the unit. He was forced out of the company a month later and succeeded by Ms. Whitman, the former chief executive of eBay.

Ms. Whitman said there were concerns that an independent PC division would lose brand value and face higher overhead costs like real estate and operations. H.P., in turn, would lose the contribution the unit makes in delivering low-price components, like semiconductors, to other parts of the company. Besides personal computers, H.P. has sizable businesses in computer servers and data storage devices, printers and printer supplies, and related services.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/28/te...ll-remain.html

Xtreme Mentor
    phew

many people worry about their warranty
    Intel Core i5 6600K + ASRock Z170 OC Formula + Galax HOF 4000 (8GBx2) + Antec 1200W OC Version
    EK SupremeHF + BlackIce GTX360 + Swiftech 655 + XSPC ResTop
    Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 (i7 2760QM + HD 6770M)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) , Huawei Nexus 6P
    [history system]80286 80386 80486 Cyrix K5 Pentium133 Pentium II Duron1G Athlon1G E2180 E3300 E5300 E7200 E8200 E8400 E8500 E8600 Q9550 QX6800 X3-720BE i7-920 i3-530 i5-750 Semp140@x2 955BE X4-B55 Q6600 i5-2500K i7-2600K X4-B60 X6-1055T FX-8120 i7-4790K

Xtreme Mentor
    This was bound to happen but this should never have been needed in the first place. HP's hardware side was cooling off under the last CEO's directions, i was told that development of 6 laptops and quite a few desktops which were close to final design was paused. It was only after the new CEO took charge were the new laptops given the clear, the new ultrabook was also one of these.

Innovation was halted so long that other competitors have a good lead in most consumer spaces.
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Addict
    Great. Now STFU and tell me what's gonna happen to webOS...
    Notice any grammar or spelling mistakes? Feel free to correct me! Thanks

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    Great. Now STFU and tell me what's gonna happen to webOS...
    It doesn't sound good.
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/28/t...o-be-imminent/

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by N19h7m4r3 View Post
    Pretty much what I expected anyway after HPs announcement of abandonning webOS hardware. It's a shame. Just shows how incompetent HP's management is.

1. Buy company for 1.2 billion,
    2. scrap a couple of devices close to release so that it
    3. takes forever to launch new devices.
    4. Decide to abandon the tablet after one month on the market and webOS hardware in total.
    5. Take forever to decide what to actually do with the patents and software so that every developer and possible buyer loses interest.
    6. ???
    7. PROFIT

m(

HP destroyed billions of dollars in worth. But I don't think Leo Apotheker was the only worm in the Apple. Oops, I hope Apple Corp doesn't sue me now...

I honestly believe HP has lost everything they once stood for. It is like a marathon runner that just runs because he always has been running but actually doesn't know anymore where he was running to and why.
    Notice any grammar or spelling mistakes? Feel free to correct me! Thanks