Thread: Phoronix FX-8150 Ubuntu Linux Test: Zambezi actually is fast!

Xtreme Addict

Phoronix FX-8150 Ubuntu Linux Test: Zambezi actually is fast!

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ulldozer&num=1

The scheduler in their version of Linux has the enhanced scheduler that can take advantage of Zambezi's uArch. It is properly fast in this environment. This test is just more confirmation that AMD's new uArch is held back in Windows 7 by the scheduler. Hopefully Windows 8 will come to the rescue.

Linux users will be able to take full advantage of the Bulldozer architecture sooner than Microsoft Windows customers, which will primarily see the real potential when Windows 8 is released. In the Linux world, there's still some Bulldozer kernel work that's not yet merged and presumably more compiler/kernel optimizations coming, but we will hopefully see all of that merged and ready in time for next spring when Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Fedora 17, and other Linux distributions are pushing out their new versions. If you are so inclined, you can always pull the patches yourself, tune your compiler options, and make other tweaks today to take greater advantage of these new AMD processors. The upcoming FX-8150 Linux articles have more revealing information.
    Core i7 2600K@4.6Ghz| 16GB G.Skill@2133Mhz 9-11-10-28-38 1.65v| ASUS P8Z77-V PRO | Corsair 750i PSU | ASUS GTX 980 OC | Xonar DSX | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB |A bunch of HDDs and terabytes | Oculus Rift w/ touch | ASUS 24" 144Hz G-sync monitor

Quote Originally Posted by phelan1777 View Post
    Hail fellow warrior albeit a surat Mercenary. I Hail to you from the Clans, Ghost Bear that is (Yes freebirth we still do and shall always view mercenaries with great disdain!) I have long been an honorable warrior of the mighty Warden Clan Ghost Bear the honorable Bekker surname. I salute your tenacity to show your freebirth sibkin their ignorance!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Talk about picked result. Rest show no improvement on situation.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    And i920 > i980x = lol

I am Xtreme
    same for the DP quadcore platform... its slower then the A8...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanical Man View Post
    This particular result was the best of the bunch. I use those types of workloads so it put a smile on my face. As for the rest, they are still impressive compared to Windows 7 tests. Also if you read the article, you would see that this kernel build doesn't even have ALL the enhancements for Bulldozer-class CPUs yet. There are more tests coming down the pipe from Phoronix.
    Core i7 2600K@4.6Ghz| 16GB G.Skill@2133Mhz 9-11-10-28-38 1.65v| ASUS P8Z77-V PRO | Corsair 750i PSU | ASUS GTX 980 OC | Xonar DSX | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB |A bunch of HDDs and terabytes | Oculus Rift w/ touch | ASUS 24" 144Hz G-sync monitor

Quote Originally Posted by phelan1777 View Post
    Hail fellow warrior albeit a surat Mercenary. I Hail to you from the Clans, Ghost Bear that is (Yes freebirth we still do and shall always view mercenaries with great disdain!) I have long been an honorable warrior of the mighty Warden Clan Ghost Bear the honorable Bekker surname. I salute your tenacity to show your freebirth sibkin their ignorance!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanical Man View Post
    Since we don't have a baseline of how these would perform without the LINUX patches then it is not really possible to say either way.

However in those tests:
    For BD 8150 vs i5 2500k the results are 14 to 11 with the BD being better than the i5.
    For BD 8150 vs i7 970 the results are 8 to 14 with 1 tie. (And two tests from previous set not done on i7.) Not too bad considering that the i7 970 costs a bit more.

Personally I usually consider each test in a review and what each benchmark is actually doing and give the more important benchmarks more importance. But for some reason a lot of people consider that "cherry picking results" so we'll just fall back to the let's just count them all.

Anyway all semantics and worthless points aside: the OP's point is probably correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechromancer View Post
    As for the rest, they are still impressive compared to Windows 7 tests.
    HYPOTHETICALLY: I strongly suspect that if somebody benched using the Windows 8 developer's release and found results dramatically different than they are in Windows 7 that we'd have many people claiming that it doesn't matter and doing everything they can to discount that fact.
    Last edited by keithlm; 10-25-2011 at 10:31 AM.
    FX-8350, Powercolor ATI R9 290X LCS, OCZ Vertex 4, Crosshair V Forumula-Z, AMD Radeon DDR3-2133 2x8Gb, Corsair HX1000W, Thermaltake Xaser VI, Xonar D2X, Water Cooling 140.3

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well, it just gives impression when on picks best result as only to show and does not even mention that its important to him and rest of results are not as good.

Xtreme Member
    I still think that BD is to soon. I think it's a good CPU which will do great once apps/games/OS start supporting all the features.
    Just wish AMD got samples to coders/programmers early on. Would've been great if their were enhanced apps when it launched. Guess AMD failed in that respect.

I'm getting one when we have stock in South Africa. My rig is used for gaming and work (graphic design).
    INTEL 2600K @ 4.5ghz 24/7 Corsair H100
    ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
    2 x CORSAIR 4GB DDR3 1600 (CL8)
    4TB Seagate SATA2
    SAPPHIRE 7950 (GPU 1100 | MEM 1500)
    Cosmos S
    Asus XONAR DX
    Corsair 850W PSU

Xtreme Enthusiast
    When I read this review this morning I was wondering if some at XS would post it like this... "Fanboy way" (no offence)

It would have been better if you used another picture to demonstrate the power of Bulldozer imo.

But it is clear that Bulldozer is a way better Linux (and server/workstation) processor than a Windows 7 gaming cpu.

I am glad to see this benchmark, me as a Linux user/workstation, it makes me happy to see that I can build a small cheap workstation with ECC memory and run Linux on my future Bulldozer cpu, and actually have some good performance.
    AMD Opteron 148 CABYE 0543 FPBW || DFI LanParty nF4 SLI-DR AD0
    2x 512MB OCZ PC3500 Limited Edition Winbond BH-5 || 2x 512MB Corsair PC3200LL V1.1 Winbond BH-5 || 1x 256MB Mushkin PC3500 LV2 Winbond BH-5
    SAPPHIRE X800GTO2 @ 16P 600/570, Voltmodded, GPU=1,7V/VDD/VDDQ=2,3V
    Zippy PSL-6720P(G1) GAMING ,POWER - I love it!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by keithlm View Post
    HYPOTHETICALLY: I strongly suspect that if somebody benched using the Windows 8 developer's release and found results dramatically different than they are in Windows 7 that we'd have many people claiming that it doesn't matter and doing everything they can to discount that fact.
    Very true, it doesn't matter. "Windows 8" is still in a pre-BETA state, so it is Windows 7 that counts which is a finished consumer products. Latest rumors says august for release with Windows 8, then Piledriver shouldn't be far of either.

On topic, the results are looking great. Proves what is needed is a more optimized operating system, and software which can properly utilize Bulldozer and derivates.
    SweClockers.com

CPU: Phenom II X4 955BE
    Clock: 4200MHz 1.4375v
    Memory: Dominator GT 2x2GB 1600MHz 6-6-6-20 1.65v
    Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
    GPU: HD 5770

Xtreme Member
    AMD FX is great at encoding even with Win 7, but in the future it will be even better (At least it looks that way )
    Don't worry guys, i'm s**t at games but I have 500fps!
    Intel 4670K @ testing
    Corsair H100i
    MSI Z87-G43
    8GB Corsair 1866 CL9
    XFX 7950
    Samsung 830 256GB SSD
    Corsair Vengeance C70 Case
    Tagan 480w PSU

Xtreme Member
    overall it looks good, but you choose the worst possible graphic to represent the test,
    of all other tests there is never a difference like this one, and why the 920 (quad core 2.6ghz) is faster than the other 1366 i7s!? there is something wrong,
    the test would also be more complete with the 2600k, the other i7s are EOL or to expensive, and the 2500k lacks HT,