Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best rad ever?

5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Member
    Ahhhh, that thing is adorable! Its a very cute and chunky little rad. I am going to have to grab one and give it a shot. Been thinking about a (pointless but fun) loop for an atom build for a while now and I just might go ahead and do it with this little feller. Thanks for pointing it out. ^_^
    At Xtremesystems.org we don't help you save money on your cooling gear, instead we try to make you feel better about the insane ammount you've spent.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Harlock View Post
    Ahhhh, that thing is adorable! Its a very cute and chunky little rad. I am going to have to grab one and give it a shot. Been thinking about a (pointless but fun) loop for an atom build for a while now and I just might go ahead and do it with this little feller. Thanks for pointing it out. ^_^
    In for seeing the smallest loop ever.

Xtreme Member
    what a beast!

OVERCLOCKAHOLICS
    Wonder if that's enough raddage for an i3 2100 SB. Hmmmm....

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Maximus View Post
    Wonder if that's enough raddage for an i3 2100 SB. Hmmmm....
    A = L*W
    80x40 = 3200^2 mm
    Single 120mm: 120x120 = 14400^2 mm

Single 120mm rad has 4.5x the surface area...plus more airflow, probably near 5x the performance
    Smile

OVERCLOCKAHOLICS
    thanks for the math beepbeep but it has nothing to do with what I was pondering

I had one of those cooling an xbox 360 for a bit... It did manage to just cool it with some serious airflow but for all practical uses its pointless.

Xtreme Addict
    Been looking at using one of these for ages now in an Acer L3600 build.

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

Xtreme Mentor
    Even if a single 120mm rad is several times better this little thingy probably just as good or better than the stock SB cooler because the stock cooler is really tiny.

I like the smallest loop ever idea... need a small pump then.
    Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
    Not to be outdone by rival ATi, nVidia's going to offer its own drivers on EA Download Manager.
    X2 555 @ B55 @ 4050 1.4v, NB @ 2700 1.35v Fuzion V1
    Gigabyte 890gpa-ud3h v2.1
    HD6950 2GB swiftech MCW60 @ 1000mhz, 1.168v 1515mhz memory
    Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1866 cas 9 @ 1800 8.9.8.27.41 1T 110ns 1.605v
    C300 64GB, 2X Seagate barracuda green LP 2TB, Essence STX, Zalman ZM750-HP
    DDC 3.2/petras, PA120.3 ek-res400, Stackers STC-01,
    Dell U2412m, G110, G9x, Razer Scarab

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Maximus View Post
    thanks for the math beepbeep but it has nothing to do with what I was pondering
    Hmm, lets estimate
    120mm rad with ~1000 RPM = about 100w for 10c delta
    Take away 3/4 the surface area...
    You get around 25-30w with a 10c delta with quite a bit of airflow
    Last edited by BeepBeep2; 10-23-2011 at 05:12 PM.
    Smile

Xtreme Member
    most adorable rad or what! perfect for mini/micro builds!

i had one a while ago where the rad fits great in a 3.5in HDD bay or a ext 3.5 bay

Xtreme Mentor
    Best rad ever. Small and inefficient. I would never start a post with that.

I am a man, this is a rad.

http://www.completeradiators.com/sho...=&cmdSubmit=Go

Geeze, some accept small as the norm I guess.
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I guess some people dont understand irony

24/7 running quiet and nice

Xtreme Member
    Who cares about how well it works? Its like the little rad that could (even if it cant). Its a toy that must be played with just for the pure fun of it. For that reason alone, numbers dont mean anything. Just my two cents on the little guy.
    At Xtremesystems.org we don't help you save money on your cooling gear, instead we try to make you feel better about the insane ammount you've spent.

I am Xtreme
    perfect for a 1U case, if anyone here plans on using a 1U case and dosnt have a problem with 100db fans.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Guru
    Manicdan: for 1U case much better idea imho would be normal external rad connected with QDCs. Maybe even shared one with several servers. OP was good joke, but when i thought about possible real-world uses of such .. if one's only option is use of such rads then imho it's better to not LC at all. Usually one selects some choice if it's better in some important characteristics. LC with such rads is as efficient as air cooling would be but much much more expensive/harder to assemble/less safe. Just and only for "because i can" builds.

I am Xtreme
    i think it might have more real life purpose than "just because"

for a 1U case, with air cooling the air has to go right over the chips. so the front chips get cold air, and the back ones get hot air, and usually they get air after the HDDs. with water cooling you can move things around as needed for optimal cooling. if you put a few of these up front all in a row, they each get cold fresh air. this can make a big deal for a short 4P system, since heat does increase power consumption, it might actually improve total power consumption.

although i agree that it would be best to use larger radiators and share the wealth.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Guru
    In 1U cases i had to deal with, it all gets compensated more then enough by powerful fans/airflow. No one cares about noise at racks in data centers. What other thin cases are there? Low power SFF HTPC? No need for uber cooling there either.
    A bit offtopic, but i wouldn't want to see LC in any production server of mine. However safe LC can be made, it IS less reliable then air cooling (yeah, i know i know, nothing lasts forever, and i had to replace one fan in 12 y.o. server recently - can you expect maintenance free LC for 12 years? Or you think that admins would wish for extra work having to do said maintenance? ). Little to no business would want to risk more, businesses rather are ready to pay more for better reliability/redundancy options instead. Also it means custom -> price increase and inability to use brand servers (at least while keeping manufacturer's warranty/support. No warranty = you have to service yourself. Again not what admins would want to do extra for their many and many servers ).
    Few cases of liquid cooling at datacenters (or rather usually at few supercomputers) are just that - exceptions to rule. With paying THAT much of course some LC deficiencies can be compensated for. Not for mortals.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'd see more serious use on portable mobile systems where the hot element cannot be cooled down efficiently on the spot but overall lightness / smallness is still an important factor. I believe i have seen this kind of rad used on mobile lasers for example, or cooling on embarked equipments (the rad being used to cool the hot side of peltiers). Many mobile applications cannot afford using the humongous radiators we use in our sedentary PC cases.
    And yeah it would be fun to do the smallest watercooled system ever, problem is the pump though, gotta find a micro one..? Watercool one of those tiny micro systems and put it in a RC car or something, give it a 12V battery for power and wifi and have a rolling mobile webserver or something...
    Last edited by gmat; 10-24-2011 at 04:11 PM.

24/7 running quiet and nice

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    In 1U cases i had to deal with, it all gets compensated more then enough by powerful fans/airflow. No one cares about noise at racks in data centers. What other thin cases are there? Low power SFF HTPC? No need for uber cooling there either.
    A bit offtopic, but i wouldn't want to see LC in any production server of mine. However safe LC can be made, it IS less reliable then air cooling (yeah, i know i know, nothing lasts forever, and i had to replace one fan in 12 y.o. server recently - can you expect maintenance free LC for 12 years? Or you think that admins would wish for extra work having to do said maintenance? ). Little to no business would want to risk more, businesses rather are ready to pay more for better reliability/redundancy options instead. Also it means custom -> price increase and inability to use brand servers (at least while keeping manufacturer's warranty/support. No warranty = you have to service yourself. Again not what admins would want to do extra for their many and many servers ).
    Few cases of liquid cooling at datacenters (or rather usually at few supercomputers) are just that - exceptions to rule. With paying THAT much of course some LC deficiencies can be compensated for. Not for mortals.
    In a new data centre in Hong Kong, Google is liquid cooling their servers. Supposedly it's all on a centralised system as well, which must be amazing to have to design.
    -

"Language cuts the grooves in which our thoughts must move" | Frank Herbert, The Santaroga Barrier
    2600K | GTX 580 SLI | Asus MIV Gene-Z | 16GB @ 1600 | Silverstone Strider 1200W Gold | Crucial C300 64 | Crucial M4 64 | Intel X25-M 160 G2 | OCZ Vertex 60 | Hitachi 2TB | WD 320

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Conumdrum View Post
    Best rad ever. Small and inefficient. I would never start a post with that.

I am a man, this is a rad.

http://www.completeradiators.com/sho...=&cmdSubmit=Go

Geeze, some accept small as the norm I guess.

That's not a rad... THIS is a rad...

http://www.superiorcooling.co/caterp...-radiator.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cat-399-398-Radiator.jpg 
Views:	470 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	121617

Xtreme Guru
    CedricFP: correct me if i remember wrong reading once, but weren't most google's servers self assembled ones? and their services are written the way there wont be any interruption even if several servers crashed? NOT the way most businesses servers/applications are. "exception proving rule". Just like data centers exist with all the servers converted to DC power PSUs by which they got noticeable energy savings. Or MS datacenter somewhere far up north to save on conditioning electricity bills. These cases also not making up common mass of 95+%.

Actually liquid cooling is being seen more and more in datacentres, mostly with OEM sealed solutions like the Corsair units. Less heat buildup means less aircon cooling required which means less money in aircon bills. Servers are _loud_ and _hot_.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast