Thread: Removing nickel plating

Ω

Removing nickel plating

I was looking into removing nickel plating off my blocks and I found a shop near me who can do this by basically reverse plating.

Will I offset the alignment with the o-ring to block and screws hole diameter the block top when I put it back together? Only reason I ask this is I know that when things get nickel plated that they tend to get thicker due to an additional layer. Does anyone happen to know how thick the layer of nickel is on the blocks?
    Last edited by ohms; 10-21-2011 at 07:09 AM.
    Ω Raven Build Blog

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
    " Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges" - In times of war, the law falls silent.

I believe the layer of nickel is so thin that it doesn't make any difference.

Xtreme Addict
    your talking literally microns of thickness when it comes to nickel plating so its extremely thin.

not sure how easy it is to have nickel plating removed though so be careful. copper is normally coated with something to stop the oxidation and this is stripped off prior to the block being plated to ensure good contact. They will need to reapply it back again once the nickel has been removed to ensure oxidation/corrosion doesnt occur.

Ω
    There is a shop around my place that does nickel plating on a mess of different metals. I told him that it was electroless nickel plating and he told me that he can get that off easily enough since it's a nickel process thats applied with chemicals.

I was just worried about the thickness being an issue but if it's microns then it shouldn't be an issue. But I will wait to hear back from Tiborrr before I go and do this.
    Ω Raven Build Blog

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
    " Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges" - In times of war, the law falls silent.