Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ivy Platform enter Volume Production, to be "sold" in Q4'11

Xtreme Member

Ivy Platform enter Volume Production, to be "sold" in Q4'11

Intel also stated that Ivy bridge is on target for a late Q4 "qualification for sale", which means that Intel will be begin shipping final products to its customers in the second half of the quarter. This will allow Intel to maintain its tick-tock cadence and keep the claim that a production shrink has been introduced in yet another uneven year (and so that it can state that its 22 nm chips were released in 2011). Of course, that does not mean that you will be able to buy those chips in 2011. According to Otellini, first Ivy Bridge systems should become available in Spring 2012. As Ivy Bridge is introduced and ramping up, Intel expects that its profit margins will improve as well.I

Interesting PR spin..nothing new here..still available in march/april..

Source
    Iron Lung 3.0 | Intel Core i7 6800k @ 4ghz | 32gb G.SKILL RIPJAW V DDR4-3200 @16-16-16-36 | ASUS ROG STRIX X99 GAMING + ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX GAMING | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB + Samsung 840 EVO + 4TB HDD | 55" Samsung KS8000 + 30" Dell u3011 via Displayport - @ 6400x2160

Xtreme Member
    the way that i understood it is that system builders like dell, sony, HP, etc. would introduce new computers with the ivy bridge chip around march april. could this mean that DIYers like us could actually buy the chip ourselves in the beginning of the new year?

Aussie God
    Ivy b1tch is late Q1 2012.
    I think a more likely spin is release during CeBIT March 2012, hard launch, not paper launch.
    Competition ranking;
    2005; Netbyte, Karise/Denmark #1 @ PiFast
    2008; AOCM II, Minfeld/Germany #2 @ 01SE/AM3/8M (w. Oliver)
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;
    2010; GOOC 2010 Many thanks to Gigabyte!

Xtreme Addict
    So why get SB-E?....

I am thoroughly confused as to Intels intentions with these two platforms...

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by paulbagz View Post
    So why get SB-E?....

I am thoroughly confused as to Intels intentions with these two platforms...

-PB
    for many years now intel has sold different platforms at different prices because they do different things. the SB-E platform supports things which the lower end platform does not. it supports more cores, more cache, more memory bandwidth, more pci-e lanes, etc. and within that high end platform there are actually different chips: core i7 and xeon, where the core i7 have their ecc, multi-processor, and other feature support disabled. by differentiating like this intel can maximize the money charged to each customer.

Xtreme Addict
    Yeah but I don't want to invest in SB-E if IB and its 22nm/TriGates provide better performance (which by all accounts from what I have seen is what is going to happen).

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

Xtreme Member
    Yeah but I don't want to invest in SB-E if IB and its 22nm/TriGates provide better performance (which by all accounts from what I have seen is what is going to happen).

-PB
    If you are able to hold off, I think Ivy Bridge will be a better bet. From the early leaks, SB-E doesn't look much faster than what's out now.

Xtreme Member
    Ivy will come out for socket 2011 aswell yes?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by bamtan2 View Post
    for many years now intel has sold different platforms at different prices because they do different things. the SB-E platform supports things which the lower end platform does not. it supports more cores, more cache, more memory bandwidth, more pci-e lanes, etc. and within that high end platform there are actually different chips: core i7 and xeon, where the core i7 have their ecc, multi-processor, and other feature support disabled. by differentiating like this intel can maximize the money charged to each customer.
    Your saying Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge are "low end"? as far as I can see Z69 boards offer up the same memory bandwitdh (Although run in different channels) (SB-e will probably increase it because of quad channel, but nothing spectacular) same amount of PCI-E lanes, and same cache as what Sandy Bridge-E boards (the x-79) will offer. To me X79 just looks like a new platform to move along with. I don't think they ever intended Z69 / Sandy Bridge / Ivy Bridge to be "low end"
    himynameisfrank
    Flickr

i7 2600K @ 4.4Ghz
    Corsair Hydro H80
    MSI Z68A-GD80
    EVGA GTX580 x 2 SLi
    Corsair XMS3 1600 12Gb
    Corsair HX850w
    OCZ Agility 3 SSD x 3 RAID 0
    Creative X-Fi Titanium / Astro A40 Audio System
    Corsair Graphite 600T SE White
    DELL U2410 24" IPS Panel

Xtreme Member
    i am a little confused on the core count of ivy bridge. will we see a hexacore ivy bridge chip or am i going to have to get a SB-E if i want a hexacore?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by G3XC View Post
    Ivy will come out for socket 2011 aswell yes?
    there is no socket 2011 x79 ivy bridge mentioned on any leaked roadmap I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomferrari View Post
    i am a little confused on the core count of ivy bridge. will we see a hexacore ivy bridge chip or am i going to have to get a SB-E if i want a hexacore?
    there is no 6 core ivy bridge mentioned on any leaked roadmap I've seen.

Xtreme Guru
    well its simple guys: buy SB-E for OC raping and test bench.

Then buy the uber cheap IB for 24/7 rig.
    thats my plan
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bamtan2 View Post
    there is no socket 2011 x79 ivy bridge mentioned on any leaked roadmap I've seen.
    Yeah, i'd need to get it confirmed before investing money into 2011. Pretty stupid for us if they dont.

Xtreme Addict
    Yeah I see what people are saying its just that they had the 1366 platform and its nice and powerful chips (980x/990x etc) but then Sandy Bridge came along and out performed or kept up with those 6 core chips in terms of raw horse power and memory bandwidth (even dual vs triple channel).

What I'm saying is I wouldn't want to invest in SB-E if something that is "mid-level" comes out 4 months later that completely dominates it.

I.e. 2600k vs 980x

-PB
    -Project Sakura-

Xtreme Member
    Yeah I see what people are saying its just that they had the 1366 platform and its nice and powerful chips (980x/990x etc) but then Sandy Bridge came along and out performed or kept up with those 6 core chips in terms of raw horse power and memory bandwidth (even dual vs triple channel).

What I'm saying is I wouldn't want to invest in SB-E if something that is "mid-level" comes out 4 months later that completely dominates it.

I.e. 2600k vs 980x

-PB
    Yeah i hear you, it could be the exact same thing over again. I like that they have an enthusiast line. It gives us options wich is nice.

But ivy support needs to be there before i invest. Since there is no way i am paying the price for the 6 cores. I hope we can get an answer for this quickly as S2011 is next month. But since roadsmaps have not mentioned it i guess not

Xtreme Mentor

I.e. 2600k vs 980x

-PB
    If you fear that then don't invest on SB-E, because that's what will happen. That said, Ivy is "just" a die shrink, so it ain't like 2600K vs 980X all over again: 5-10% IPC boost compared to SB, and it's 6 months away. However power consumption, heat and overclocking... ah man, I want it now.
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryR, on John Fruehe (JF-AMD) View Post
    Pretty much. Plus, he's here voluntarily.

Aussie God
    Quote Originally Posted by STaRGaZeR View Post
    If you fear that then don't invest on SB-E, because that's what will happen. That said, Ivy is "just" a die shrink, so it ain't like 2600K vs 980X all over again: 5-10% IPC boost compared to SB, and it's 6 months away. However power consumption, heat and overclocking... ah man, I want it now.
    Unless they fix what we all hope for... the random OC wall....
    Imagine if it goes close to 7ghz, even if CPC is identical, it'll smash everything bigtime.
    Competition ranking;
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;

I am Xtreme
    Wow ppl still complain about this?

Noone force you to by SB-E and then hop on IB...

SB-E is aimed at Workstations/entry server and for multithreaded workloads. A 980/990 still smacks a 2600 in highly threaded applications as encoding/rendering/scientific apps and SB-E will continue this. The enthusiast segment is only a afterthought for SB-E since you can put in tri-/quad-sli/cf and have enough pci-e bandwidth.

If you don't run highly threaded apps even S1366 with nahelem had no advantage over lynnfield. The only advantage of 1366 was the availability of hexacores and it will be the same for S2011. If you want more then 4 cores you need to go for the "professional" platform. Wouldn't be suprised if we even ses a consumer octacore.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by M.Beier View Post
    Unless they fix what we all hope for... the random OC wall....
    Imagine if it goes close to 7ghz, even if CPC is identical, it'll smash everything bigtime.
    Nobody on air/water can reach that wall for 24/7 use on SB (right?), so that's only a concern for benchers. My 2500K has no problem running at 5GHz but the amount of voltage needed for 24/7 stability is astronomical. Gotta love 4,5GHz thou :p

At this point I'm hoping for 5GHz 24/7 at 1,3-1,35V. If it does more, then I'll be officially
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

Aussie God
    Quote Originally Posted by STaRGaZeR View Post
    Nobody on air/water can reach that wall for 24/7 use on SB (right?), so that's only a concern for benchers. My 2500K has no problem running at 5GHz but the amount of voltage needed for 24/7 stability is astronomical. Gotta love 4,5GHz thou :p

At this point I'm hoping for 5GHz 24/7 at 1,3-1,35V. If it does more, then I'll be officially
    Running 1.42v @ 4500mhz myself, 1.63v for 5ghz, which I didnt really mind.... Though I really wish that Intel would optimize the heat transfer of the chip.... That crap thing they use between DIE and IHS is a joke....
    Competition ranking;

Spectating;

Xtreme Addict

I.e. 2600k vs 980x

-PB
    and what I'm saying is that will not happen because ivy bridge will not have more cores, more threads, more cache, more memory bandwidth, more pci-e lanes, more DIMMs, ECC support, and VT support like SB-E will have. 2600k does not dominate 980x. 2600k caught up in speed and threads and that is IT.

people buy the high end platform for a reason. ivy bridge doesn't change the reason. intel built everything this way on purpose. this is no accident.

Xtreme Guru
    Running 1.42v @ 4500mhz myself, 1.63v for 5ghz, which I didnt really mind.... Though I really wish that Intel would optimize the heat transfer of the chip.... That crap thing they use between DIE and IHS is a joke....
    Wow either I got lucky or my chip just isn't prime stable (haven't tested it yet), but I'm running 4.5ghz max turbo with stock voltage and haven't had any BSODs yet
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Mentor
    Mine is stable at 1,36V or so, for 4,6 I tried up to 1,45V and it wasn't stable... did some runs at 1,5V 5GHz and got to play some TF2 before the whole thing crashed on me

Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    Wow either I got lucky or my chip just isn't prime stable (haven't tested it yet), but I'm running 4.5ghz max turbo with stock voltage and haven't had any BSODs yet
    Try Linpack AVX, and be prepared to give your chip some juice

Xtreme Member
    I don't get why people are still confused about SB, SB-E, and IvyB.

its very simple:

tock (new uARCH)
    : Sandy Bridge mainstream socket 1155. up to 4 cores & integrated GPU (it just so happens to keep up with last gens, high end 980X..which is the point. new uRACH = improvement)

Sandy Bridge-E/EP, server/enthusiast socket 2011. up to 8 cores no integrated GPU Like its been said, more cores, more cache, more threads, higher clocks, more everything!

tick (die shrink): Ivy Bridge mainstream socket 1115 up to 4 cores & integrated GPU

Ivy Bridge-E/EP - server/enthusiast socket 2011. Although it has yet to show on any roadmap, this is the logical next step, as both mainstream chips share the same socket..like s1366 with Bloomfield and Gulftown, I expect Ivy-E to share Sandy-Es socket as well. Unless rumors about them moving in Haswell and skipping Ivy-E are true.

Also the reason why things seem so messed up, (but in reality its not) is because with Nehalem, the "high-end/enthusiast" platform came out first with Bloomfield/s1366. Then they released the mainstream, Lynnfield/s1156.

With Sandy and Ivy, they did the exact opposite and started with the mainstream socket first, s1155.
    Last edited by Tenknics; 10-21-2011 at 10:00 AM.
    Iron Lung 3.0 | Intel Core i7 6800k @ 4ghz | 32gb G.SKILL RIPJAW V DDR4-3200 @16-16-16-36 | ASUS ROG STRIX X99 GAMING + ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX GAMING | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB + Samsung 840 EVO + 4TB HDD | 55" Samsung KS8000 + 30" Dell u3011 via Displayport - @ 6400x2160

Xtreme Member
    Not so much confused. We're just hoping to see ivy on s2011. Wich right now going by roadmaps seems unlikely.

People who bought quadcores for their 1366 setup did get abit screwed over i feel. It's not like they can upgrade to SB either.

Like someone said, will the same situation happen? where you get a s2011 system. Only to get out performed 4 months later by a cheaper cpu/mb combination?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast