Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Asus BD FX Support for Crosshair IV/890 boards

My FX-8150 has been sitting here collecting dust. At this point I really dont care. Just let me test out a new BIOS for the M4A89GTD PRO

Xtreme Enthusiast
    @Zeus: Enable and disable Turbo Core from AMD Overdrive utility. I have no Bulldozer yet, but I've read that's the solution.
    X6 1090T (1010MPMW) @ 4267MHz 1.44V NB@3229MHz 1.33V | Asus Crosshair IV Formula | 2x2GB Corsair Dominator GTX2 @ 1845MHz 6-6-5-17-22 1T | Asus HD4890 @ 1050/4800 | Corsair HX850W | HAF 932
    EK Supreme HF | EK-FC4890LT | MCP655 + Koolance D5 Top | ThermoChill PA120.3 + 3x Enermax Magma | XSPC Bay res | Masterkleer 1/2" UV Red

Quote Originally Posted by I.nfraR.ed View Post
    @Zeus: Enable and disable Turbo Core from AMD Overdrive utility. I have no Bulldozer yet, but I've read that's the solution.
    Why do we want to disable Turbo Core?
    I'd like to learn everything about BD before dropping this baby in.

Xtreme Member
    My fx8120 is still unable to play any steamworks games despite a steam client patch today and reboots at every attempted launch. Despite it being experienced by multiple people on more than one motherboard type there's no answers anywhere from Valve, Microsoft, motherboard vendors or AMD. I don't mind waiting for patch but there still isn't even an answer as to if it can be patched or if AMD has shipped defective CPUs. Are they going to address the issue or should I just RMA it?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by I.nfraR.ed View Post
    Yeah, got it sorted man. Silly i can't disable it in bios though cause it's annoying to do that upon every reboot. Will u get a Bullodozer chip yourself?
    Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | FX 8350 | 2x4GB Trident-X 2600 C10 | 2x ATI HD5870 Crossfire | Enermax Revo 1050watt | OCZ Vertex 3 60GB | Samsung F1 1TB

Watercooling: XSPC Raystorm | EK 5870 Delrin fullcover | TFC X-changer 480 w/ 4x Gentle Typhoon | DDC2+ Delrin top | EK 200mm res | Primochill LRT 3/8 tubing

Case: Murdermodded TJ-07

sub 9 sec. SPi1M 940BE 955BE 965BE 1090T

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yes, most probably will get one soon. I saw in the other thread you got it sorted, seems like good chip .
    Did you try how the combination CHIV + FX chip clocks Hypers?

I remember the same situation with C'n'Q and Turbo when I first got 1090T and M4A89GTD Pro/USB3. There was no CHIV yet, I was kinda the guinea pig in Bulgaria
    C'n'Q was disabled in bios, but in fact it was still active. I guess we need to wait for the next bios version for this problem be sorted.
    Last edited by I.nfraR.ed; 11-05-2011 at 08:38 AM.
    X6 1090T (1010MPMW) @ 4267MHz 1.44V NB@3229MHz 1.33V | Asus Crosshair IV Formula | 2x2GB Corsair Dominator GTX2 @ 1845MHz 6-6-5-17-22 1T | Asus HD4890 @ 1050/4800 | Corsair HX850W | HAF 932
    EK Supreme HF | EK-FC4890LT | MCP655 + Koolance D5 Top | ThermoChill PA120.3 + 3x Enermax Magma | XSPC Bay res | Masterkleer 1/2" UV Red

I am Xtreme
    Yeah, let's hope a new bios will be free of all these quirks. I have been running the Hypers exclusively as i don't have any onther ram (yet).

Haven't overclocked the Hypers with this combo yet, i was just exploring this cpu but the kids are constantly asking for attention so i couldn't spend to much time with it. It will leave something for the coming winter, then i will have enough time to do some intensive testing. This buggy bios isn't helping much either.

The cpu seems quite a voltage lover but it's clocking nicely even though there's not many bulldozer chips around yet to compare. Maybe 5GHz is the standard for these chips, i don't know.

Looking forward to your results with one of these chips.
    Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | FX 8350 | 2x4GB Trident-X 2600 C10 | 2x ATI HD5870 Crossfire | Enermax Revo 1050watt | OCZ Vertex 3 60GB | Samsung F1 1TB

Watercooling: XSPC Raystorm | EK 5870 Delrin fullcover | TFC X-changer 480 w/ 4x Gentle Typhoon | DDC2+ Delrin top | EK 200mm res | Primochill LRT 3/8 tubing

Case: Murdermodded TJ-07

sub 9 sec. SPi1M 940BE 955BE 965BE 1090T

Xtreme Addict
    Cool thanks for the new bios.
    Though it's a 3xxx ver and not a 2xxx ver, not meant for my cpu.
    When is there gonna be a centralized bios for all cpu's ?

Some of those 3x ver's, all of them I think, cut off support for setting the mem interleaving setting.
    Slows it down a few 100 meg's in mem bandwith because it's missing the best value for the setting...

Prob with the 2x ver's is that ecc doesn't work for the cpu at all, in the 3x ver's it's working...

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by NEOAethyr View Post
    Cool thanks for the new bios.
    Though it's a 3xxx ver and not a 2xxx ver, not meant for my cpu.
    When is there gonna be a centralized bios for all cpu's ?

Some of those 3x ver's, all of them I think, cut off support for setting the mem interleaving setting.
    Slows it down a few 100 meg's in mem bandwith because it's missing the best value for the setting...

Prob with the 2x ver's is that ecc doesn't work for the cpu at all, in the 3x ver's it's working...
    Its really simple and easy to spot.
    1 / 2x00, Thuban/Deneb/Heka/Callisto
    3x00, AMD FX

On 990FX series boards, interleaving is either Enabled or Disabled.
    Smile

Xtreme Addict
    Yeah I know...
    I'm wishing it had the old set of options for bank interleaving.
    Instead of auto I want the "address bits 12" setting.

Don't wanna upgrade the bios to the 3x ver and lose a good chunk of bandwith .
    I'de make the switch to the 3x ver's IF they had that 1 value, performance should be close enough afterwards.

It really does seem like it's the main slowdown there to me.
    Perhaps there's a bit more to it, but I honestly think that's most of it.

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by NEOAethyr View Post
    Yeah I know...
    I'm wishing it had the old set of options for bank interleaving.
    Instead of auto I want the "address bits 12" setting.

Don't wanna upgrade the bios to the 3x ver and lose a good chunk of bandwith .
    I'de make the switch to the 3x ver's IF they had that 1 value, performance should be close enough afterwards.

It really does seem like it's the main slowdown there to me.
    Perhaps there's a bit more to it, but I honestly think that's most of it.
    You'd lose a lot more than just bandwidth and probably not even because of that setting.
    AGESA for BD CPUs vs AGESA for Thuban...the one for thuban is going to work best with your thuban as the other one contains no optimizations
    Smile

Xtreme X.I.P.
    ASUS North America Technical Marketing - If you are based outside North America and require technical assistance or have a query please contact ASUS Support for your region.

Rampage IV Extreme tweaking guide

ASUS Z77 UEFI Tuning Guide for overclocking

Maximus 5 Gene OC Guide

Maximus VI Series UEFI OC Guide

Yes!!!!! Thank you thank you thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by raja@asus View Post

Thanks raja, I'm really glad you guys didn't go back on your word to support BD on these boards, I would have been upset but now instead I'm very satisfied It's a main reason I bought my M4A89TD vs other boards back in June.

i have the m4a89gtd. The bios's core activation feature only shows 6 cores for me to activate. but windows 7's task manager shows 8. which one should i trust?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by vinunleaded0301 View Post
    i have the m4a89gtd. The bios's core activation feature only shows 6 cores for me to activate. but windows 7's task manager shows 8. which one should i trust?
    My guess, bios show only those cores you can disable. And as you cant disable ALL cores, only 6 are shown.

For the record, not possible to disable cores on the extreme iv.
    Asus Crosshair IV Extreme
    AMD FX-8350
    AMD ref. HD 6950 2Gb x 2
    4x4Gb HyperX T1
    Corsair AX1200
    3 x Alphacool triple, 2 x Alphacool ATXP 6970/50, EK D5 dual top, EK Supreme HF

correction: it only shows 5 cores: 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th for me to disable/enable. I'm guessing this is a bug? CPU-Z and Windows Task Manager shows 8 cores

Quote Originally Posted by wez View Post
    My guess, bios show only those cores you can disable. And as you cant disable ALL cores, only 6 are shown.

For the record, not possible to disable cores on the extreme iv.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by vinunleaded0301 View Post
    correction: it only shows 5 cores: 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th for me to disable/enable. I'm guessing this is a bug? CPU-Z and Windows Task Manager shows 8 cores
    Yea, in that case its just some bios quirks. Task manager is what really counts
    Asus Crosshair IV Extreme
    AMD FX-8350
    AMD ref. HD 6950 2Gb x 2
    4x4Gb HyperX T1
    Corsair AX1200
    3 x Alphacool triple, 2 x Alphacool ATXP 6970/50, EK D5 dual top, EK Supreme HF

Xtreme Member
    Is there any ETA for a crosshair IV bios that can play steam games without BSOD? Some 990fx users seem to have gotten around the bug with older bios versions but this isn't possible on 890fx.

Also, my M4A89GTD takes forever to POST. I can hear the fan turns on, then off again. THis repeats for like 1 minute or 2 then the computer suddenly starts up

Quote Originally Posted by lizardmech View Post
    Is there any ETA for a crosshair IV bios that can play steam games without BSOD? Some 990fx users seem to have gotten around the bug with older bios versions but this isn't possible on 890fx.

Xtreme Mentor
    I've got an FX-8120 here in this M4A89TD pro/usb3.0.
    On this 3027 bios.
    cpu-z reads it as and ES and so does core temp
    It seem to be throttle when on stock multiplier but not when I set it my self.
    not sure if my temperatures are to blame, though.
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by demonkevy666 View Post
    I've got an FX-8120 here in this M4A89TD pro/usb3.0.
    On this 3027 bios.
    cpu-z reads it as and ES and so does core temp
    It seem to be throttle when on stock multiplier but not when I set it my self.
    not sure if my temperatures are to blame, though.
    My board throttles with Thuban at just 4.05 gig (1.46v load) so I wouldn't be suprised at all.
    Smile

Xtreme Enthusiast
    No word for 790FX/SB750...i guess it is not simple or can't be done at all ? (i can't remember the socket compatibility direction)

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    My board throttles with Thuban at just 4.05 gig (1.46v load) so I wouldn't be suprised at all.
    doesn't throttle my 1090T @ 4.0ghz at 1.454v O_o ?
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by demonkevy666 View Post
    doesn't throttle my 1090T @ 4.0ghz at 1.454v O_o ?
    Try 4.1?
    My M4A89TD Pro/USB3 will throttle CPU to 4x multi under load after 10-20 minutes either due to OCP or VRM thermals...

CHV just chugs right along, so does Giga 890GX board.
    Smile

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast