Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Asus BD FX Support for Crosshair IV/890 boards

Xtreme Member
    A large percentage of my steam games are unplayable on this board + fx8120 even at stock clocks. Looking on google it seems like there is some serious bug with bulldozer BSODing and certain steamworks games? What isn't clear is what the solution is, BIOS update, windows kernel patch or RMA the cpu? So far I have the bug on: Dawn of war II: Retribution, Dues Ex HR and Spacemarine, they all BSOD on launch at any clock/voltage.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by lizardmech View Post
    Works on my crosshair IV formula. Bulldozer performance seems dismal though, at 4.6ghz my fx 8120 10-30% slower than my 3.8ghz 1100t is in multithreaded rendering programs.
    In the multi threaded apps I've tried so far my OC'ed 8120 is faster than my OC'ed thuban...

What apps have you run?

edit: here is the burned out 8pin i mentioned earlier

edit 2: Only issue I've had with the bios so far is dram write recovery time being -2 below whats set. Setting it to 12 equals 10 etc.
    Auto can also set it to 14, while 12 being the max you can set manually.
    Last edited by wez; 11-02-2011 at 02:07 AM.
    Asus Crosshair IV Extreme
    AMD FX-8350
    AMD ref. HD 6950 2Gb x 2
    4x4Gb HyperX T1
    Corsair AX1200
    3 x Alphacool triple, 2 x Alphacool ATXP 6970/50, EK D5 dual top, EK Supreme HF

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wez View Post
    In the multi threaded apps I've tried so far my OC'ed 8120 is faster than my OC'ed thuban...

What apps have you run?
    Mainly 3d rendering programs, the closest it got to my thuban was 6.51 @ 4.6ghz in cinebench vs 6.65 for my thuban at 3.86ghz. Other 3d programs were worse with the 8120 falling behind 10-20%. I'm not sure if its the bios or cpu but my 8120 cannot boot with my ram set to 1866mhz, I was forced to use ram at 1600mhz which probably hurts performance. Likewise I couldn't get much out of FSB, HT link or NB on the 8120. I was going to test it out in linux and compiling but the steamworks BSOD issue makes my computer useless with it so I had to put my thuban back in.

I also tested rendering on 4 threads compared to 8. 8 threads is only about 50% faster than 4 threads, I don't know if it's the lack of memory bandwidth or software support for bulldozer modules.

Xtreme Addict
    Mainly 3d rendering programs, the closest it got to my thuban was 6.51 @ 4.6ghz in cinebench vs 6.65 for my thuban at 3.86ghz. Other 3d programs were worse with the 8120 falling behind 10-20%. I'm not sure if its the bios or cpu but my 8120 cannot boot with my ram set to 1866mhz, I was forced to use ram at 1600mhz which probably hurts performance. Likewise I couldn't get much out of FSB, HT link or NB on the 8120. I was going to test it out in linux and compiling but the steamworks BSOD issue makes my computer useless with it so I had to put my thuban back in.

I also tested rendering on 4 threads compared to 8. 8 threads is only about 50% faster than 4 threads, I don't know if it's the lack of memory bandwidth or software support for bulldozer modules.
    Are you sure all cores run at max freq? I need to enable and disable turbo core once in windows to get it to work properly.
    I'm getting much higher scores in cine at similar clocks, so something is not right.
    AMD FX-8350
    AMD ref. HD 6950 2Gb x 2
    4x4Gb HyperX T1
    Corsair AX1200

Xtreme Member
    Are you sure all cores run at max freq? I need to enable and disable turbo core once in windows to get it to work properly.
    I'm getting much higher scores in cine at similar clocks, so something is not right.
    I had turbo core off in the bios and it seemed to be behaving. I'm not really sure if my chip is defective or not though, as well as BSODs trying to launch certain steam games AMD overdrive failed to run and CPU-Z would sometimes incorrectly report my chip as a ES stepping running at 3.8v.

Xtreme Addict
    I had turbo core off in the bios and it seemed to be behaving. I'm not really sure if my chip is defective or not though, as well as BSODs trying to launch certain steam games AMD overdrive failed to run and CPU-Z would sometimes incorrectly report my chip as a ES stepping running at 3.8v.
    BSODs in certain games are a known issue, I'm sure its being looked into. AMD overdrive works fine for me (v4.0.5 if I'm not mistaken), older versions did not work. Had the "ES" bug in CPUZ as well, nothing to worry about.

I also have Turbo Core disabled in bios, but I still need to enable and disable it one time after boot in windows using AMD Overdriver, or else cores will drop to lower freq. when under load. I still think this is what you are having issues with. So make sure all cores really are running at the max speed under load, or else scores will suffer a lot.
    AMD FX-8350
    AMD ref. HD 6950 2Gb x 2
    4x4Gb HyperX T1
    Corsair AX1200

Raja, I would like to know when the bios will be released for 890GX based motherboard. Would like to play with bulldozer also!

Xtreme Member
    BSODs in certain games are a known issue, I'm sure its being looked into. AMD overdrive works fine for me (v4.0.5 if I'm not mistaken), older versions did not work. Had the "ES" bug in CPUZ as well, nothing to worry about.

I also have Turbo Core disabled in bios, but I still need to enable and disable it one time after boot in windows using AMD Overdriver, or else cores will drop to lower freq. when under load. I still think this is what you are having issues with. So make sure all cores really are running at the max speed under load, or else scores will suffer a lot.
    I will check it next time, I just hope they can sort out the BSOD issue, it seems to have been known about for a few weeks but there's no response from AMD yet.

I am Xtreme
    Wow wes, that connector looks burned out pretty bad!

I will keep my Fluke IR thermometer at hand when i'm gonna do intensive testing at higher voltage.
    Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | FX 8350 | 2x4GB Trident-X 2600 C10 | 2x ATI HD5870 Crossfire | Enermax Revo 1050watt | OCZ Vertex 3 60GB | Samsung F1 1TB

Watercooling: XSPC Raystorm | EK 5870 Delrin fullcover | TFC X-changer 480 w/ 4x Gentle Typhoon | DDC2+ Delrin top | EK 200mm res | Primochill LRT 3/8 tubing

Case: Murdermodded TJ-07

sub 9 sec. SPi1M 940BE 955BE 965BE 1090T

1100T Core question, i have a crosshairIV extreme i noticed on cores in the bios, when its set to auto it runs on 4 cores sometimes...or 2 cores
    i set to manual in the bios and keep all 6 cores on, it runs great am i damaging anything....im cooled at -40c most of the time.
    thanks
    Thanks Eagle101
    -------------------------
    CrossHairV-Z 9590 cpu-OC
    SSD Ocz RevoDrive3 X2 Raid0 PciE
    -51c Cpu SS Phase.Change Cooling
    Msi 290X Lightning oc
    1600 Watts P2 Evga Platinum
    G.SKILL Trident X Cas7 1600Mhz
    Dell U2410 24" IPS

5.1 Sound Pro-Klipsch

Xtreme Member

Performance using my CHIV is abysmal aswell.. really dissapointed. Im thinking RMA and get a Thuban (I had a 955 before).
    TBA

Xtreme Member
    i wonder if performance for BD on all 890 chipsets across the board is abysmal?

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by erek View Post
    i wonder if performance for BD on all 890 chipsets across the board is abysmal?
    don't think so Duron on an Asrock 870 board FX 6100 up to 5.0ghz.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...-non-9xx-mobos

seem the asus bios just seems to be lacking
    my M489T pro/usb3.0 lost 5% per-clock on everything with an updated bios, so i rolled back to what i've been using
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by demonkevy666 View Post
    don't think so Duron on an Asrock 870 board FX 6100 up to 5.0ghz.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...-non-9xx-mobos

seem the asus bios just seems to be lacking
    my M489T pro/usb3.0 lost 5% per-clock on everything with an updated bios, so i rolled back to what i've been using
    you have a bios that supports the FX 8120 Revision B2 for the M4A89GTD Pro/USB3?

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by erek View Post
    you have a bios that supports the FX 8120 Revision B2 for the M4A89GTD Pro/USB3?
    No.
    The board is AM3 only.
    I was talking about My 1090T lost 5% with an the 2001 bios from asus vs the 1101 bios i've been using for a while now.
    meaning I'd need 4.2ghz to match 4.0ghz in pre-clock. :/
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

Xtreme Member
    Second attempt building it was much better, stock voltage on the cpu as well. Strangely selecting ddr3 1866 from the bios is impossible to use yet overclocking the fsb with ddr 1600 setting is fine at 240mhz fsb 1900mhz+ on ram.
    Last edited by lizardmech; 11-02-2011 at 11:04 PM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenix View Post
    Raja, I would like to know when the bios will be released for 890GX based motherboard. Would like to play with bulldozer also!

BD BIOSes for the boards that were listed with support is being worked on and undergoing validation. Soon as I have them I will post them.

On a sidenote:

Do note, these BIOSes (and the ROG board BIOSes) will only be worth flashing to if running Bulldozer, for older CPUs stick with the latest BIOS on the ASUS page.

-Raja
    ASUS North America Technical Marketing - If you are based outside North America and require technical assistance or have a query please contact ASUS Support for your region.

Rampage IV Extreme tweaking guide

ASUS Z77 UEFI Tuning Guide for overclocking

Maximus 5 Gene OC Guide

Maximus VI Series UEFI OC Guide

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    BD BIOSes for the boards that were listed with support is being worked on and undergoing validation. Soon as I have them I will post them.

On a sidenote:

Do note, these BIOSes (and the ROG board BIOSes) will only be worth flashing to if running Bulldozer, for older CPUs stick with the latest BIOS on the ASUS page.

-Raja
    Do you know anything about the BSODs with steam being fixed? Every single steamworks games BSODs at launch on my system currently when using bulldozer. Non-steamwork games work and I haven't been able to reproduce the crash in any other program.

Xtreme Member

On a sidenote:

-Raja
    Can you please ask your bios engineers to update to latest available option ROMS (ex AHCI and RAID) and release updated BIOSes for the socket AM3 lineup of boards? (for both old and new AGESA)
    I know it will require some validation time. But i'm willing to test it out if needed
    Some of the competition brands has already released updated bioses

My stuff
    PhII x6 1055T @ 4.2GHz | Corsair H50 + Scythe SL12SH PnP | Asus Crosshair IV F | 4GB Dominator 1600 CL8 | Corsair HX520W | CM HAF932 | Dell 2405FPW | Creative 5.1 THX |

RAJA:
    i have a crosshair IV extreme 1100T im using bios 2002 the newer one this is ok isn't it for 890 chipset it works good, sometimes the re-start takes a long time after i made changes in the bios........thanks

On a sidenote:

-Raja
    Thanks Eagle101
    CrossHairV-Z 9590 cpu-OC
    Msi 290X Lightning oc
    Dell U2410 24" IPS

5.1 Sound Pro-Klipsch

Xtreme Addict
    Second attempt building it was much better, stock voltage on the cpu as well. Strangely selecting ddr3 1866 from the bios is impossible to use yet overclocking the fsb with ddr 1600 setting is fine at 240mhz fsb 1900mhz+ on ram.
    http://i40.tinypic.com/142daps.jpg
    As reference here is mine at 4745mhz. Only 45mhz higher clock, but score is almost 1.1 points higher... What NB freq and RAM settings did you run?
    AMD FX-8350
    AMD ref. HD 6950 2Gb x 2
    4x4Gb HyperX T1
    Corsair AX1200

I am Xtreme
    Seems like performance is on par with 990 boards. Nice knowing. Tomorrow i'll drop mine in and see how it fares in a Formula.
    Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | FX 8350 | 2x4GB Trident-X 2600 C10 | 2x ATI HD5870 Crossfire | Enermax Revo 1050watt | OCZ Vertex 3 60GB | Samsung F1 1TB

Watercooling: XSPC Raystorm | EK 5870 Delrin fullcover | TFC X-changer 480 w/ 4x Gentle Typhoon | DDC2+ Delrin top | EK 200mm res | Primochill LRT 3/8 tubing

Xtreme Member
    As reference here is mine at 4745mhz. Only 45mhz higher clock, but score is almost 1.1 points higher... What NB freq and RAM settings did you run?
    [img]
    I have slower ram and NB because im using 4x 4gb. Bulldozer seems limited by memory bandwidth, with normal ram and NB speeds performance doesn't scale much beyond 3.8ghz.

I am Xtreme
    Sorry to say but this is the most immature bios i've ever come across.

I simply cannot disable turbocore and i cannot disable CnQ, no matter what i set in bios. CPU always throttle down to 1.4Ghz and 0.9Vcore.

NB temp suddenly reads out 90ºC+ but IR thermometer pointed at the board as close to the NB chip reads out 28ºC.

It does work with FX chips but that's about it.

I hope Raja can tell this to the Asus bios engineers so they can work this out.

This is while running Cinebench 11.5 at 4.2GHz set in bios.
    Last edited by Zeus; 11-04-2011 at 07:15 AM.

got my 1100T really going good here........

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2081274
    Thanks Eagle101
    CrossHairV-Z 9590 cpu-OC
    Msi 290X Lightning oc
    Dell U2410 24" IPS

5.1 Sound Pro-Klipsch

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast