Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus BD FX Support for Crosshair IV/890 boards

Xtreme Member

Asus BD FX Support for Crosshair IV/890 boards

Ok guys, Think I've hijacked the 990 thread long enough lol. Taking this to a seperate thread.

I (amongst I bet many others) are awaiting an official BD BIOS for the CHIV. Asus and MSI promised support as witnessed here for 890 series users:

http://bg.asus.com/News/6GsoHtkyUhPfSr8p/
    MSI: http://event.msi.com/mb/am3+/
    ASUS: http://event.asus.com/2011/mb/AM3_PLUS_Ready/
    You'll notice Asus have taken down the last link above lol (Don't worry I have screenshots of this)
    Some retailors here in the UK have been selling the CHIV as 'AM3+ Ready' (the reason why I bought one tbh) so I am refusing to upgrade to a CHV or 990 series board just for SLI support (which I don't need)

MSI have delivered - i don't see why Asus can't. If they don't I will definately be one of many who will be switching to something other than Asus - tbh the Asrock boards looks really nice now compared to the CHV!

The current 3017 (TEST) BIOS has been confirmed as not booting at all with a BD processor by some XS users who are already in posession of the Bulldozer chips. Asus recommended a couple of tweaks but the issue seems to be that without being able to boot, there is no way a user can go into BIOS to change these settings.

Asus have responded to our queries on another forum with the following I believe:

From ASUS:

HQ’s response is that due to tight resources there is going to be a delay in getting new BIOS versions out for older AM3 motherboards to support Bulldozer. This is mainly due to the launch of AM3+ and also socket 2011 which is just about to come out. Also they did not have an ETA of when they expect the new batch of BIOS files to be released.
    So - I think I'm justified in applying a bit of pressure to Asus, as its holding up my purchase and upgrade to BD (Only been waiting 2 years!!)

Please add any testing or results if you manage to get BD working on an 890 series board here. thanks
    4960X@4.7 | Asus RIVF | 16Gb@2400 | 256Gb 840 Pro | R9 290 | AX-860W | 540Air | Custom W/C

Xtreme Member
    4960X@4.7 | Asus RIVF | 16Gb@2400 | 256Gb 840 Pro | R9 290 | AX-860W | 540Air | Custom W/C

I'm also waiting for an AM3+ bios for my M4A89GTD PRO/USB3. One big reason by I bought it was the AM3+ support, hope asus don't take over 6 months to get it available.

Xtreme Member
    ...getting the most out of the IV sales while waiting for the procs, now forcing the enthusiasts to go for the V by deliberately delaying the BIOS update for the IVseries... ohh ASUS please prove me wrong here, you're better than this

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccaution View Post
    ...getting the most out of the IV sales while waiting for the procs, now forcing the enthusiasts to go for the V by deliberately delaying the BIOS update for the IVseries... ohh ASUS please prove me wrong here, you're better than this
    I don't know if you guys realize but Bulldozer has a lot of problems, and is also currently performing better on competitor's boards than the CHV.
    AMD didn't even release final (1+.0.0.0) AGESA until a few weeks before launch. Bulldozer and 990FX compatibility/performance is the goal right now.

Crosshair IV should have a new bios soon (within a month) I would guess.
    Smile

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    I don't know if you guys realize...
    I don't know if YOU guys realize the term "false advertisement" either... the IV owners could have got their BIOSes in timely manner, at least as fast as 990FX do, they don't re-write them from scratch you know...

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccaution View Post
    I don't know if YOU guys realize the term "false advertisement" either... the IV owners could have got their BIOSes in timely manner, at least as fast as 990FX do, they don't re-write them from scratch you know...
    Actually, they have limited ROM space and it isn't as just as easy as injecting the new AGESA...

If you feel that it is, go to bios-mods.com and ask them to make one for you. I'm sure it won't take them long.
    Smile

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan N. View Post
    I'm also waiting for an AM3+ bios for my M4A89GTD PRO/USB3. One big reason by I bought it was the AM3+ support, hope asus don't take over 6 months to get it available.
    its there , go check asus sight.
    http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD...USB3/#download
    not sure if it will work with bulldozer. says it will.
    amd FX8120
    asus sabertooth 990fx
    6970 amd
    corsair dominator gt 2000 4 gig
    2x 74 gig raptors raid 0
    pcpower 1200 watt

Xtreme Member
    Actually, they have limited ROM space and it isn't as just as easy as injecting the new AGESA...

If you feel that it is, go to bios-mods.com and ask them to make one for you. I'm sure it won't take them long.
    Since when, it's bios-mods' job to get the new AGESA in ASUS products?

If 16MBs ain't enough for the new AGESA then ASUS can't make it happen. So false advertisement it is. Or, they can go with two series of bioses, the BD's and the AM3's ones, as it seems they tried to do with the 1XXX&2XXX (AM3) and the 3XXX (BDs) in the IV series.

edit:
    @equinox1 Those BIOSes won't post with a BD on, mate They work with my 1090T pretty well though.
    Last edited by Ccaution; 10-18-2011 at 04:53 PM.

Xtreme Member
    FX8120 worked fine on my old motherboard MSI 890FXA-GD65. I checked before i installed on my Giga 990. It will make a good backup board in case i burn something up in my current board. Never know as much power as the FX eats when OC.
    Last edited by Baam; 10-18-2011 at 08:17 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    This reminds me the thread of
    ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe owners waiting for official BIOS support Phenom II X6
    It takes around ~6 months after Phenom II X6 launch to have official "stable BIOS"

Those who can't wait just run out and grab the newly release Crosshair IV Formula.

Gaming Rig
    CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (45W ECO mode)
    HSF : Noctua C14S
    MB : ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate
    RAM : G.Skill F4-3000C14-16GTZR x4 @ DDR4-3000 CL14
    VGA : MSI RTX2070
    PSU : Antec NeoECO Gold 650W
    Case : Corsair 100R ATX
    SSD : Samsung PM981a 1TB + Corsair MP510 1.9GB M.2 SSD

Xtreme Addict

http://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Threa...3-Motherboards

Edit: wrong link
    Last edited by wez; 10-19-2011 at 12:42 AM.
    Asus Crosshair IV Extreme
    AMD FX-8350
    AMD ref. HD 6950 2Gb x 2
    4x4Gb HyperX T1
    Corsair AX1200
    3 x Alphacool triple, 2 x Alphacool ATXP 6970/50, EK D5 dual top, EK Supreme HF

Xtreme Legend
    In isn´t just about simply "injecting" a new version of AGESA code in to the bios.

On AMI bioses AGESA isn´t just a single module, it consists of two separate segments (code & data) which are integrated in certain parts of the bios code.

Also the bios is pretty much built around the AGESA code so good luck doing a "plug & play" AGESA update.
    To change the AGESA properly you need to have access to the bios source (project).

Bios 3017 already supports Bulldozer however not the stepping you can purchase from the store

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stilt View Post
    In isn´t just about simply "injecting" a new version of AGESA code in to the bios.

On AMI bioses AGESA isn´t just a single module, it consists of two separate segments (code & data) which are integrated in certain parts of the bios code.

Also the bios is pretty much built around the AGESA code so good luck doing a "plug & play" AGESA update.
    To change the AGESA properly you need to have access to the bios source (project).

Bios 3017 already supports Bulldozer however not the stepping you can purchase from the store
    So, this is the best bet.

Mod the 3017 bios so that the 'correct' stepping is supported.

Great info

Seasonic Prime TX-850 Platinum | MSI X570 MEG Unify | Ryzen 5 5800X 2048SUS, TechN AM4 1/2" ID
    32GB Viper Steel 4400, EK Monarch @3733/1866, 1.64v - 13-14-14-14-28-42-224-16-1T-56-0-0
    WD SN850 1TB | Zotac Twin Edge 3070 @2055/1905, Alphacool Eisblock
    2 x Aquacomputer D5 | Eisbecher Helix 250
    EK-CoolStream XE 360 | Thermochill PA120.3 | 6 x Arctic P12

Xtreme Addict

Yea, already tried the quick and dirty way, didn't work very well

This just makes it more frustrating

When the smaller players in the MB manufacturing scene can make it happen, you'd think Asus who pretty much stomps all over the others in term of size, could make it happen as well
    AMD FX-8350
    AMD ref. HD 6950 2Gb x 2
    4x4Gb HyperX T1
    Corsair AX1200

I think it comes down to there is no direct profit from enabling support on an older board that people already have so they throw it on the back burner. The people that don't wait and end up upgrading they actually prefer because they may buy another board from them that will run bulldoze. Chances are if you are an informed consumer then you won't purchase from the Brand that just screwed you into spending more of your hard earned money.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by videogamer323 View Post
    Chances are if you are an informed consumer then you won't purchase from the Brand that just screwed you into spending more of your hard earned money.
    perfectly said mate.

Xtreme Member
    mobo manufacturers should just be using open source BIOSes. There'd be zero licensing cost to them, and they can continue to offer zero support to old boards (face it, that's the basic reality already) without pissing off their customers, by allowing customers to download and patch their own.

I am Xtreme
    If only the Crosshair IV Formula would have kept it's value i could have sold it, including my beautifull EK fullboard block but now Alternate has decided to drop the price of this board down to 119 euros!

This leaves second hand value of this board in my country to next to nothing so again i would have to dig deep in my pockets for this Crosshair V that seem to perform worse than a cheaper Asrock board.

Look like i'm really gonna need that bios!
    Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | FX 8350 | 2x4GB Trident-X 2600 C10 | 2x ATI HD5870 Crossfire | Enermax Revo 1050watt | OCZ Vertex 3 60GB | Samsung F1 1TB

Watercooling: XSPC Raystorm | EK 5870 Delrin fullcover | TFC X-changer 480 w/ 4x Gentle Typhoon | DDC2+ Delrin top | EK 200mm res | Primochill LRT 3/8 tubing

Case: Murdermodded TJ-07

sub 9 sec. SPi1M 940BE 955BE 965BE 1090T

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Should have updated BIOSes for the CIVE/F by next week. HQ are workin' on it. Sorry for the delay!!
    ASUS North America Technical Marketing - If you are based outside North America and require technical assistance or have a query please contact ASUS Support for your region.

Rampage IV Extreme tweaking guide

ASUS Z77 UEFI Tuning Guide for overclocking

Maximus 5 Gene OC Guide

Maximus VI Series UEFI OC Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    Should have updated BIOSes for the CIVE/F by next week. HQ are workin' on it. Sorry for the delay!!
    Thanks. What about this motherboards ?

- M4A89TD PRO/USB3 (AMD 890FX/SB850)
    - M4A89TD PRO (AMD 890FX/SB850)
    - M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 (AMD 890GX/SB850)
    - M4A89GTD PRO (AMD 890GX/SB850)

In march ASUS says that they will be compatible with AM3+ CPU

Xtreme Member
    Good news Raja!
    Then i might get a BD to have fun with after all
    I do hope you also update AHCI & RAID option roms when you're at it as well?

My stuff
    PhII x6 1055T @ 4.2GHz | Corsair H50 + Scythe SL12SH PnP | Asus Crosshair IV F | 4GB Dominator 1600 CL8 | Corsair HX520W | CM HAF932 | Dell 2405FPW | Creative 5.1 THX |

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Very nice! It would be interesting to compare both boards and see if CHIV could keep up with the clocks, especially the RAM overclock.
    Good that I have 2 bios chips, so I can have optimal performance for Bulldozer, Thuban and Deneb with a simple bios chip swap.
    I, exactly as Zeus, have a full cover block for the board and don't want to sell, at least for cheap.
    X6 1090T (1010MPMW) @ 4267MHz 1.44V NB@3229MHz 1.33V | Asus Crosshair IV Formula | 2x2GB Corsair Dominator GTX2 @ 1845MHz 6-6-5-17-22 1T | Asus HD4890 @ 1050/4800 | Corsair HX850W | HAF 932
    EK Supreme HF | EK-FC4890LT | MCP655 + Koolance D5 Top | ThermoChill PA120.3 + 3x Enermax Magma | XSPC Bay res | Masterkleer 1/2" UV Red

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    Good news! Thanks Raja
    AMD FX-8350
    AMD ref. HD 6950 2Gb x 2
    4x4Gb HyperX T1
    Corsair AX1200

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by I.nfraR.ed View Post
    Good that I have 2 bios chips
    What do you mean by that Infra?
    FX 8370 * Chrosshair V Formula Z * 16GB Kingston 1866 * Sapphire Fury * Samsung 850 Pro * WD Raptor 74Gb * Seagate 2TB * Seagate 1TB * Corsair 1200i * Corsair 800D
    EK Supremacy EVO * EK-FB Crosshair V * EK Coolstream XE 480 + XE 120 * D5 * EK F4-120 * Lamptron FC5 * Masterkleer tubing * EK coolant

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast