Thread: Online contest required info a little bit to much ?

Administrator

Online contest required info a little bit to much ?

Over on Facebook a company that I do not wish to name as I do not want to cause them harm, is running a online contest for some free stuff. I started to enter this but soon saw the required info to enter and thought to myself that this was unusual and perhaps was asking for a bit to much info.

Now I think I do a pretty good job at protecting myself from identity theft but now a days one can never be good enough it seems, and couple that with how insecure FB is this seems to have crossed a line imo.

Consider that this information + mother's maiden name & SS# that your idenity can be stolen so easy it's not funny. With the amount of websites that get hacked these days that this can be a problem if persoanl information like this gets stolen.

So the question here is, if you were about to enter an online contest would the required information to enter here stop you from entering ?

yes stops me everytime. specially those "sign up now for 7 weeks free; * please enter credit card number"
    Intel C2Q Q9550 2.83ghz :: Intel DQ45CB :: 4 x 2gb OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Reaper HPC :: ASUS EAH5850 :: Thermaltake TR2 RX 750w :: Western Digital Caviar Black 4 x 750gb in RAID 10
    Intel e3-1235 3.3ghz :: Intel s1200kp :: 4gb kingston hyperX 1600mhz :: WD 500gb Cavier Green
    Intel i7-3770k 4.4ghz :: msi z77ma-g45 :: 8 gb patriot Signature 1600mhz :: 160gb WD Cavier :: 5830 + 5870 CF :: Antec Earthwatts 650w

"...all men die, and no brave man lets death frighten him from his desire..."

Xtreme Addict
    The way that works is they sell all the information so you get spammed like crazy, and they use a small amount of the money they earned to give away prizes. No, I wouldn't enter. I don't like telemarketers calling me the second I pick up a fork. That crap drives me crazy.
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

Administrator
    Well in there privacy notice says this...

OUR PRIVACY NOTICE: (company name) does not sell, rent, lease or allow any third party to view or use the information collected on Facebook, or via its promotions and giveaways, unless the participant consents to receive information directly from a third party by his/her own explicit selection of that option.

This is a known online computer related company that has run many contests and they all seemed ok, but for this new contest they seemed to be asking for a lot more info. However we have all seen these Privacy Notices before and they generally mean nothing because they could be part of a much larger compnay or affiliate of a marketing company so they could use your information then for many things.

Now if it was for something really good like a full blown Dual Westmere system would you ?

This contest was for a AMD BD CPU only which I find rather odd that all this info is needed to give away a BD.

you could do like i always do in these situations and give it fake info. i like at 2 X dr se enola PA 87362 phone: 000-0000
    Intel C2Q Q9550 2.83ghz :: Intel DQ45CB :: 4 x 2gb OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Reaper HPC :: ASUS EAH5850 :: Thermaltake TR2 RX 750w :: Western Digital Caviar Black 4 x 750gb in RAID 10
    Intel e3-1235 3.3ghz :: Intel s1200kp :: 4gb kingston hyperX 1600mhz :: WD 500gb Cavier Green
    Intel i7-3770k 4.4ghz :: msi z77ma-g45 :: 8 gb patriot Signature 1600mhz :: 160gb WD Cavier :: 5830 + 5870 CF :: Antec Earthwatts 650w

"...all men die, and no brave man lets death frighten him from his desire..."

Xtreme Addict
    Give them the number 867-5309 hahaha
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

it gets worse if u like something on face book, once u like them their bot records your numerical facbook id, then with that they can probe the facebook database on the backend (u can do it to your friends as well but its only usefull to bots) that will give them everything on your profile in 1 place and they copy it (name, infi, pics, vid comments) then that get aggregated and the marketing company that runs the facebook page gets to keep it and use it to troll u latter. face book dose not allow people to transfer the data but most companies contract it out so your not giving company XXX your info, you are giving it to a troll who stores it to use it latter against u in things like targeted ads and background checks (were u can sell the info from facebook)
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Judaeus Apella View Post
    Give them the number 867-5309 hahaha
    Yeah but then Jenny will get the prize ! LOL

A better one is give them Moviemans number HAHAHA

Banned Movieman...
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
    Yeah but then Jenny will get the prize ! LOL

A better one is give them Moviemans number HAHAHA
    is that so they never ask for another phone number?

Xtreme Member
    I would never enter such as contest. Giving up so much personal information (possibly forever; who knows hoqw the data will be copied, sold etc in the future) for a minuscule chance of winning a prize is not worth it imho.