Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bulldozer Overclocking Guide (Performance Scaling Charts, max OCs)LN2 Results coming!

I am Xtreme

Bulldozer Overclocking Guide (Performance Scaling Charts, max OCs)LN2 Results coming!

Bulldozer OC Guide!
    Everything you need to overclock bulldozer properly.

By Sin0822

Here is a preview video of what is to come:

This is an overclocking guide for those who are advanced overclockers, and those who are brand new. I have step by step for those who are new, as well as performance charts for those who are experienced:
    Memory Scaling
    CPU-NB Scaling
    HT Link Scaling
    High HTT and HT Link Scaling
    Higher memory and CPUNB + HTLink Scaling
    Multiplier + HTT Scaling
    Voltage Scaling

I am pretty sure by now everyone has seen Bulldozer’s tip top performance….. There is one pro though, and that is that Bulldozer overclocks like Sandy Bridge for the most part, but even better in many cases. Even on air/water you will be looking at 4.8 GHz-5.2 GHz per CPU, even with an 8-core CPU. That will undoubtedly scale with voltage and cooling, as Bulldozer holds the max CPU frequency World Record, this CPU is really fun to overclock. Now this might seem kind of crazy, that AMD was able to increase the core count, yet increase the overclocking potential of the CPU, and in the end that might just save AMD. From what I have seen Bulldozer needs to be overclocked a lot, and tuned very finely, to produce any comparable results. That is what I am going to show you today, my results on air/water, and I will update this guide with LN2 cooling results. I used an Antec Kuhler 920, it’s a decent CPU cooler, it’s one of those all-in-one solutions. It has its limitations, but it does a pretty good job of cooling, but if you have a high quality air cooler, they will do about the same. Here is what you need to use, or what I used to get overclocking!

Materials:
    Motherboard, with 990FX Chipset- I used GIGABYTE 990FXA-UD7. If you have the UD5 or UD3 you can copy my settings as well.
    CPU FX series is what this guide pertains too, I used an FX 8120 (3.1ghz stock, 3.4ghz turbo, 4ghz max turbo)
    Memory, high speed dual channel is best; I used Kingston HyperX as well as some G.Skills for max clock.
    CPU Cooler, you want a good cooler, AMD FX runs on the hotter side. I used Antec Kuhler 920, it comes with everything, and I think AMD is offering the same thing basically.
    Good powerful PSU, if the CPU gets hot, that is because it’s using more power, and that power comes from your PSU, I used Corsair AX1200, but any 600W+ will do fine if you have a nice single GPU.
    GPU, I used GIGABYTE GTX 570, you can use whatever.
    Storage. Doesn’t really matter, I used a cheap MicroCenter 64GB SSD, to speed up my loading and boot time, and you will see why soon.
    Case, I used a custom made display case, you can’t buy it, so please don’t ask. It has terrible cooling, but it showcases the system very nicely, I used it without its cover, but if you are going to go for a 24/7 OC, like I am sure most will, you need good cooling in your case.
    • You need a Bulldozer BIOS, you need to update the BIOS to the latest!!!!!! I used a special BIOS for my testing BIOS G2, it’s not publicly available, and it’s made for benching LN2 only, but I redid my tests on BIOS F6E and the water OC was the same.
    • You need to get a Stress testing program, something that will test out all cores to 100%, intel Burn Test(IBT) is my favorite, but Prime95 is good, so is LinX(basically same as IBT), or even OCCT, even though it hasn’t been updated in years still loads very heavy.
    • You need some benchmarks, 3DMarK Vantage I think was just made free, it has a good test suite, SuperPI XS MOD 1.5, HyperPI, Cinebench, and wPrime. Pick one or two of the light ones, like SuperPI and wPrime. Then pick one or two of the heavy ones, like CineBench or Vantage, these benchmarks act like more of a real world benchmark. When I mean heavy and light, I mean the benchmark’s size. It’s nice to use two, mix it up as different benchmarks react to different things. If you’re a gamer pick up 3DMark, pick benchmarks that fit your needs. You can use whatever benchmark you want, the purpose is to figure out if your performance is increasing or decreasing.
    Patience, you need to be patient, overclocking isn’t the hardest thing to do, and its not the easiest. If you just want a cookie cutter template, yea that is fine, take one of mine. But If you really want to tune your system well you need to understand that every CPU is different. You need to work to overclock, and test out different speeds, voltages, and settings.

You have to update your BIOS on any board to pop in a bulldozer CPU here are the BIOS link for GIGABYTE:
    Official BIOS has only 2 characters like F5, and Beta has 3 like F6E, GIGABYTE recommends using the official BIOS releases.
    990FXA-UD7
    990FXA-UD5
    990FXA-UD3

Methods of Overclocking:
    1. Multiplier Overclocking: it’s the easiest thing to do, just increase the multiplier. Up until now you need an AMD Black Edition CPU to OC the multi or the FX edition, to really get anywhere. You can do just this with bulldozer, but its heavily recommended that you use both HTT (FSB/CPU Host Clock) in conjunction with CPU Multiplier.
    2. HTT increase: or formerly known as Front Side Bus, it’s the basic host clock that is multiplied by every multiplier present (CPU, HTT, CPUNB, DRAM). So it affects everything.
    3. Increasing the Voltage: On air you only need a touch of the CPU-NB VID, and the CPU VCore. On the GIGABYTE boards you increase them over a base voltage(VID), and that base voltage is listed. I will talk about it more later, but please be careful.
    4. Secondary Multiplier OC: This basically means OCing the CPU-NB multiplier, the HT-Link Multiplier, and the DRAM multiplier. The purpose is to get those segments up to a faster speed, to try and increase the overall system performance.

Voltages:

Too much voltage will HURT performance, don’t use brute force like all the Bulldozer reviews, it doesn’t take 1.5v for 4.5ghz. So please, walk down the voltages!!!!!!!!
    You will be surprised on what voltages BD will be stable at.

#1 CPU VCore: Stock varies, but safe on air up to 1.45-1.5v or 55C, whichever comes first. For 24/7 keep it under 1.4v or 45C, whichever comes first. That is my recommendation to avoid electron migration and voltage/heat degradation. This voltage can be increased on the GIGABYTE boards by setting a Plus (+) or Minus (-) value on top of a predetermined voltage. After disabling Core Boost, that voltage WILL decreased to 1.175 from 1.375 (or something along those lines), so that changed my final voltage as the offset was different. That means if you set all your settings from a fresh CMOS clear, your vcore will change significantly, so disable core boost and restart and then set your settings.

#2 CPU NB VID: Stock 1.175, safe on air up to 1.35v. I have no idea why AMD did this, but I also have no idea why they released BD. But AMD boards seem to have two Northbridge’s, but in different senses of the word. Everyone thinks of a Northbridge as being the first chipset paired with a Southbridge, and the 990FXA Northbridge is just that, and it has its own NB voltage. BUT, AMD CPUs have a Northbridge as well, built into the CPU. It handles things other than the CPU cores, and it has a heavy impact on HTT(FSB), CPU NB clocks, and can help memory overclocking.

#3 NB Voltage: This voltage is the 3rd voltage that might need to be changed. It controls the voltage of the Northbridge of the board. Its stock 1.1v, but you can safely take it up to 1.2v. It can help one get a higher HTT/FSB than 265mhz, as well as help with high memory clocks.

#4 DRAM Voltage: This is the voltage applied to your memory modules. The stock is 1.5v, but if your memory is like mine and rated at 1.65v and you don’t want to use the XMP/Profiles, then please just increase this.

NB/PCIe/PLL Voltage Control: Not an important setting. I’d leave it be.

CPU PLL Voltage: Like the setting above, it won’t help you on air/water.

LLC (Load Line Calibration): A setting used to counter the drop of voltage under loads, the droop varies with loading, but it is used to keep the CPU within TDP when loaded. But it also helps drop temperatures. If you do not have LLC available, then please find out how much the drop under 100% load is compared to idle voltage, and set the voltage that much higher so that your load voltage is what you want it to be.

!Warning!:

I take no responsibility if you kill your hardware, overclocking is up to you, and overclocking will void your warranty.
    Heat is a deadly thing. For our CPUs it will kill them as fast if not faster than voltage. So please keep temps under 60C at all times. If you are coming over from Intel, please be advised that AMD uses different materials and processing to develop their CPUs. AMD max temp is about 55-60C, while Intel might be 80C. So please don’t go over that, if you do performance will drop off the deep end, and your CPU's lifespan will be reduced.

Overclocking Settings:

#1 CPU Clock Ratio: better known as the multiplier. Stock varies with the CPU, but max is 35X on this board with this ES CPU. It is “multiplied” by the CPU Host Clock (HTT/FSB) to provide you your final CPU frequency. A user can just OC with the multiplier if they would like, in fact they can hit the same clocks on lower voltage than if they used HTT/FSB as well, but performance will be higher with higher HTT/FSB.

#2 CPU Northbridge Frequency: Stock value is at 11X, maximum of 20X, and that is multiplied by the HTT/FSB to give you the CPUNB frequency, stock is 2200. This isn’t really as effective as it was for the Phenom 2s. It doesn’t impact performance as much, nor does it limit your OC, nor will it help your OC. You would think that with 8 cores, this frequency would need to run at 3-4ghz, but on air/water you won’t be able to successfully pull off over 2800 stable. Later on I will show you my testing with this changed.
    Disable Core Performance Boost. It is like turbo.

#3 CPU Host Clock: This is the Front Side Bus, or better known on AMD as HTT. It is the base bus frequency that is multiplied by all the multipliers. On air you are looking at around 275-300mhz max. It is good to use a combination of HTT and multiplier for CPU clocking, it will improve performance rather than just using multiplier alone. It is also important to note that NB Voltage can help raise the maximum limit. For the same CPU frequency with decreased multiplier and increased HTT, we will need a bit more Vcore, than if it was just multiplier X stock (200mhz) HTT.

PCI-E Clock: You can just leave at 100, above that can/will corrupt your HDD and even GPU in many cases.
    #4 HT Link Frequency: Stock at 2600mhz, 11x multiplier, 13x is maximum multiplier. I found it odd that this clock is set high at stock. I will show performance gain if there are any with increasing this clock. It is not hard to increase this clock over 3ghz, but it won’t help much.
    DRAM E.O.C.P: is like automatic memory/system OC.

Profile1 is the Intel XMP equivalent, and it will also change your memory voltage. Setting this to anything other than disable will change up the CPU Multiplier, the HT and CPU NB Multipliers, as well as DRAM multiplier, and HTT/FSB. I have listed the multipliers that it changes and what too for each memory setting. You can note that under DDR3 2000, everything is left at stock. It is interesting to note that this setting keeps the HT Frequency and CPU-NB frequency equal to each other. We will look at the impact this has in a little bit.

#5 Set Memory Clock: this will allow you to manually set up your memory multiplier, the maximum is 9.33 which will result in a 1866mhz memory speed. You need to increase HTT/FSB more to get higher memory frequencies.

Here are the DRAM timings, and how one can match up the timings on this screen to those written on your memory module. Above is a shot of my G.Skill DDR3 2200 memory, those are the XMP profile timings, that were set when I selected “Profile1”.

How do we OC Bulldozer?

Well overclocking bulldozer is pretty simple, here are simple steps to help you OC. First read them, and then read my performance charts, and then try them.

#1 First for the GIGABYTE 990FXA boards, disable Core Boost, save and restart. Then go back into the BIOS. Now set the multiplier for the OC you want, but JUST the CPU multiplier. Set something modest like 4.5ghz. Then increase the Vcore to something higher than needed, like 1.45v, but not higher and ONLY if you have good cooling. If you have LLC option set it to the highest or second to highest. Restart and you should be able to boot in if you didn’t change the HTT/FSB or any of the other multiplier.
    Be aware that the reviews posted used a bit too much voltage for their OCes, they used brute force. If you are lucky you can get something like this without changing the HTT/FSB or other settings.

#2 Decrease that high Vcore until you fail to POST(get into the BIOS). Try 3 voltage steps lower at a time, so from 1.45v down to 1.3v, and then go one step after that. Keep going until you fail to POST. Then get back into the BIOS, as the GIGABYTE boards have auto OC recovery and it works pretty well. Set your vcore 2-3 notches higher. So if you went down to 1.2v and it failed now push back up to like 1.24v or something.

(This BIOS is BIOS G2, it is not available to the public, so there are some settings not available on BIOS F6E)

#3 Now go into advanced BIOS features menu and disable: C1E, K8 Cool& Quiet, C6 support, and any other features there that you don’t need. Then boot into windows, if you fail to get past the windows loading screen, then please increase the voltage a bit more.

#4 Get into windows and run a stress testing suite for about 30mins with every core being loaded to the max. if you pass, restart and go into the BIOS. Now you want to tune the finer things, and increase the host clock(HTT/FSB). So lower the multiplier of the CPU, and increase the host clock, something like 230mhz to 250mhz is a good point to start. At this point the CPU-NB multiplier needs to be changed, please make sure it’s under 2.7ghz. At this time HT multiplier needs to be changed as well. Also your DRAM multiplier needs to be changed.

#5 Now that you have an understanding at what voltage and frequency your processor is kind of stable at, then you can fiddle with the finer knobs. Try using the DRAM EOCP for memory if you don’t know how to set your timings, but make sure you always watch the CPU NB frequency, as if it’s too high the system will fail to boot. You also will need to increase the CPU-NB voltage; I set to 1.3v for the heck of it, but too high can cause performance issues. If you want a high HTT/FSB you might need to bump the Northbridge voltage as well as CPU NB. DRAM Voltage can be changed as well now.

#6 Get back into windows and test, if you fail to boot, at the same frequency you had before for the CPU, that could be due to the increase HTT/FSB, I had to increase vcore to keep up with lower multi and higher HTT/FSB even at the same CPU frequency.

#7 Now you are in windows, run a few benchmarks, write those numbers down. Go back into the BIOS and change up the timings, mix up or match the HT Link and CPU NB frequencies, or try them at different levels. You can try increasing the voltage or decreasing them as well. Go back into windows and run your benchmarks. If performance is higher then you are on the right track, if it is lower, then go back.

By now you can probably pull something off like this:

My Performance Findings of Finer Tuning (CPUNB, HT Link, Multi, Voltage, HTT, DRAM):

Below I will go through some charts of my results. Each benchmark was run more than once, as the results are pretty all over the place with Bulldozer, so they were averaged. I ran SuperPI 1M, wPrime 32M, CineBench 11.5 CPU, and 3DMark Vantage CPU Test 1. My results are probably lower than most have seen, but they are not for showing how BDs performs, you can just look at different reviews, they are just for internal comparison. Windows 7 was put off disc, no updates, just stock windows 7, with all drivers installed. Also not the latest BIOS was used, so it has a kind of outdated CPU Microcode and the CPU is ES. Please look at a performance review if you want to see how BD performs against another processor.

First off memory speed’s impact:

So you can see that the memory speed changed alone has a nice impact on performance, there is a huge jump from 1333 to 1600, but not that big from 1600-1866. Some are thinking, that is due to lower CPUNB and HT Link speed, and plz look at CPU NB Scaling for more on that, as I raise the CPU NB alone with memory at 1866.

Other than in SuperPI we don't see any steady scaling of any of the other benchmarks. 3DMark Vantage is close, but not very good. What we did see though, is that CPU NB isn't really bottlenecking the memory speed at 1866. Also please note that we can't pull off a CPU NB speed at or above 2.8 GHz, not on air. In fact with the 8.4 GHz record set, they used a 2.4 GHz CPUNB speed. While CPUNB speed probably will greatly improve performance at a higher level due to the increase in core count, sadly either this uarch doesn't take advantage of it or it will help only under subzero results. I do think that CPU NB helps performance when slightly increased; it’s probably not a coincidence that the DRAM E.IO.C.P auto sets it around 2300-2400mhz. CPU NB Speed can help performance, especially subzero, you can maybe hit 3-4ghz.

I kept the CPUNB constant, as well as the speed, and kept memory at 1866. Only thing changed was HT Link speed, and it doesn't seem to be clock limited like the CPUNB is under air/water at 2.8 GHz. For the last two results, I increase the CPU NB, once to come close to a higher HT Link, and once to match HT Link. You see the results are very inconsistent, but that the 2796 HTLink frequency seems to do well, the stock is 2600, and increasing the CPU NB a slight bit seems to help as well. So I am going to suggest, that on air cooling, you take the HT Link to about 2.6-2.8ghz, and either set CPU NB at 2600 or 2400 to match or be close to HTLink.

HT Link and CPU-NB speeds have been changed together, with a much higher memory speed. The result is miniscule at best in all benchmarks, except for Cinebench and 3DMark Vantage. We can see from this that there is a very small increase in performance having those settings close together. So yea it helps.

In the past tests I used HTLink with DRAM of 1866 and HTT of 233, well let’s increase those a bit more, because HT Link is the one frequency we can change a lot, I wanted to see if it made a difference changing it with even higher busses. Here is something I find fascinating, can you see it? The performance is best when the HT Link equals the CPUNB in this round.

As we increase the HTT we see that Cinebench as well as 3DMark CPU test seems to scale almost perfectly, even with lower memory speed for some of the tests. We also see a need for higher voltage to remain stable as the same CPU frequency. Even with lower CPUNB and HT link speed for the increase HTT (multiplier limited) we see that performance in those benchmarks still increase. SuperPI seems to have no change, but SuperPI seems to like a higher multiplier.

Conclusion: HTT(FSB) needs to be raised for best performance, even if you can only use the multiplier

Here is voltage scaling. You can see a steady rise in temperatures of load, but compared to change in idle temperatures that change is very small. That is because what is missing is current at idle, at load there is much more current than at idle, even if the frequency is the same. Some food for thought. Note that performance decreases for the most part as we go down. There is a sweet spot in there if you can find it.

Time for Optimized OC:
    So now you are supposed to take those analysis of the different comparison tests, and find your most optimum OC. we put all that you just saw together, and you get this overclock:

You can copy those results for your CPU if you like.

It is a really nice looking system all together isn’t it?

Higher Overclocking on Air/Water:

So that is an easy 5ghz, we were stable at 5ghz.
    Here is the MAX OC ON AIR/WATER:

Now if that gives you confidence for Bulldozer OCing I don’t know what will!

Thanks for reading, and till next time!

Also if you are looking to buy a GIGABYTE UD7 right now, GIGABYTE has a deal on Newegg for $214 after MIR

LN2 session is happening tonight, should have some type of results like max CPU clock up tomorrow, wish me luck!
    Last edited by sin0822; 10-12-2011 at 06:23 PM.

Xtreme Mentor
    awesome guide
    FX-8350(1249PGT) @ 4.7ghz 1.452v, Swiftech H220x
    Asus Crosshair Formula 5 Am3+ bios v1703
    G.skill Trident X (2x4gb) ~1200mhz @ 10-12-12-31-46-2T @ 1.66v
    MSI 7950 TwinFrozr *1100/1500* Cat.14.9
    OCZ ZX 850w psu
    Lian-Li Lancool K62
    Samsung 830 128g
    2 x 1TB Samsung SpinpointF3, 2T Samsung
    Win7 Home 64bit
    My Rig

I am Xtreme
    great work

i would recommend you do a quick perf comparison between adjusting JUST the multi, vs all the extra tweaking you did.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Addict
    Cool write up on tweaking,,
    I cant wait to see what better bioses bring to the table and Steppings.
    OMG 5ghz @ 24/7 with good air or water sounds about right ta me and im shure it has more:P
    "AMD...Like the perfect Storm,...Everything needs to be just right"
    X555x4SuperCore@4450mhz@1.64v..........

RYZEN 7 1800x/ ASUS ROG STRIX VEGA64/ =EK NICKEL WB, Feser THC 2x360 1x480
    X470 Gigabyte Aorus7, Patriot 3400mhz 16gb dual2x8
    SSD Samsung 970pro,,860EVO

Xtreme Mentor
    Thanks for the guide!

I have an 8120 coming friday, Nice to see those kind of clocks with the lower model...
    Just wondered how many chips you tested? Do you think that one is above average or about normal.

Hopefully the bios on my Sabertooth will be as good as your UD7, that is a good looking board!
    AMD FX-8350 (1237 PGN) | Asus Crosshair V Formula (bios 1703) | G.Skill 2133 CL9 @ 2230 9-11-10 | Sapphire HD 6870 | Samsung 830 128Gb SSD / 2 WD 1Tb Black SATA3 storage | Corsair TX750 PSU
    Watercooled ST 120.3 & TC 120.1 / MCP35X XSPC Top / Apogee HD Block | WIN7 64 Bit HP | Corsair 800D Obsidian Case

First Computer: Commodore Vic 20 (circa 1981).

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I suddenly have a serious urge to ditch this 2500K and get a 8120 after seeing the sheer amount of tweakable stuff. The problem is clocking the 8120 sky high with this WC loop would require a good motherboard and thats gonna drive the costs up somewhat.

Might wait and grab a used CHV or UD7 since im guessing there are gonna be some going the SB route.

To the OP, awesome guide man.
    i7 920@4.34 | Rampage II GENE | 6GB OCZ Reaper 1866 | 8800GT (zzz) | Corsair AX750 | Xonar Essence ST w/ 3x LME49720 | HiFiMAN EF2 Amplifier | Shure SRH840 | EK Supreme HF | Thermochill PA 120.3 | MCP355 | XSPC Reservoir | 3/8" ID Tubing

Phenom 9950BE @ 3400/2000 (CPU/NB) | Gigabyte MA790GP-DS4H | HD4850 | 4GB Corsair DHX @850 | Corsair TX650W | T.R.U.E Push-Pull

E2160 @3.06 | ASUS P5K-Pro | BFG 8800GT | 4GB G.Skill @ 1040 | 600W Tt PP

A64 3000+ @2.87 | DFI-NF4 | 7800 GTX | Patriot 1GB DDR @610 | 550W FSP

I am Xtreme
    the tweaking is really fun, you gotta admit. So far with Ln2 i was able to do 7.08ghz with 2 cores and almost 7 with all 8, it seemed to make a small difference with this CPU, but i still gotta find out how to run this thing at -180C.
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2043682
    i only have the 1 CPU.

Ill see what I can do about that multi only increase.

My BD system is currently drying, it got wet in places i didn't want it too. lol
    Last edited by sin0822; 10-12-2011 at 11:04 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Can your Gig board lock one core of each module like done here,
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...-Threaded-Perf
    ?

Really want a UD3, but only if it can do that.
    Heatware Cecil

I am Xtreme
    Sin isn't that 2600NB pretty unstable mate, you get a lower scores there at 1866. I tested with the CPU at the same 4.5Ghz speed, ram speeds at 1600C8 and I got pretty good scaling. Maybe at 1866 or higher the effect goes down. Maybe my press kit Asus board freaked out at certain times (don't have the 990FX UD7 yet)

You too see scaling with extra ram speed, while some sites claim its as fast at 1333 as at 1866... I'm completely stunned by some outcome...

@Cecil : if you want to OC this thing daily on air, plz get a high end board with enough power at the PWMS at 4.9 I'm already pulling over 400W out of the wall with just cinebench.
    Last edited by Leeghoofd; 10-12-2011 at 11:39 PM.
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtreme Member
    The UD5 has the bad vdroop and vboost issues, while the UD3 doesnt seem to have it as bad from what Ive found. Also, the $40 price difference when its just a toy.

For daily I plan to run 4 modules / 4 cores as high as they will go, so that should cut down on the power draw.
    Heatware Cecil

Xtreme Member
    I've been very impressed with the UD3 on Thuban on F3 BIOS (had some problems with newer versions) but i'm holding back on FX for a few weeks, as there's no stock in the UK until the 25th and i'm for the benches/OC info on here to "mature" somewhat

The UD3 for me though does overvolt the vcore quite a lot, 1.475v in bios is 1.52 under load for me.
    Don't worry guys, i'm s**t at games but I have 500fps!
    Intel 4670K @ testing
    Corsair H100i
    MSI Z87-G43
    8GB Corsair 1866 CL9
    XFX 7950
    Samsung 830 256GB SSD
    Corsair Vengeance C70 Case
    Tagan 480w PSU

Xtreme Addict
    cecil i think ud5 is "better" with latest bios as far as vcore.. think i read 1.55v set in bios, 1.584 idle, 1.54 load or something like that.. i think i am going to stick with the ud3 and try BD in it whenever i can get one. if im not happy ill upgrade then but i got a good deal on ud3 so i should be able to get my $ back out of it

and cecil, f4 and f5a bios both allow core control on thuban at least,
    Last edited by crazydiamond; 10-13-2011 at 04:55 AM.
    LEO!!!!
    amd phenom II x6 1100T | gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 . .
    2x2gb g.skill 2133c8 | 128gb g.skill falcon ssd
    sapphire ati 5850 | x-fi xtrememusic. . .
    samsung f4 2tb | samsung dvdrw . .
    corsair tx850w | windows 7 64-bit.
    ddc3.25 xspc restop | ek ltx | mc-tdx | BIP . .
    lycosa-g9-z2300 | 26" 1920x1200 lcd .

Xtreme Member
    great work sin

Can you please post some benchmark screenshots with your "optimized oc" for some comparison with our own setups?

thx in advance
    Intel i7 3930K C2 4.6GHz 1.33V
    MSI Big Bang - XPower II
    Noctua NH-D14
    G.Skill Ripjaws Z 4x4GB 2133MHz
    Sapphire HD 7970
    Mushkin Chronos 120GB, 2X Seagate 1TB
    Corsair AX 1200W
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced

Xtreme Mentor
    still no retail now in my country
    Intel Core i5 6600K + ASRock Z170 OC Formula + Galax HOF 4000 (8GBx2) + Antec 1200W OC Version
    EK SupremeHF + BlackIce GTX360 + Swiftech 655 + XSPC ResTop
    Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 (i7 2760QM + HD 6770M)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) , Huawei Nexus 6P
    [history system]80286 80386 80486 Cyrix K5 Pentium133 Pentium II Duron1G Athlon1G E2180 E3300 E5300 E7200 E8200 E8400 E8500 E8600 Q9550 QX6800 X3-720BE i7-920 i3-530 i5-750 Semp140@x2 955BE X4-B55 Q6600 i5-2500K i7-2600K X4-B60 X6-1055T FX-8120 i7-4790K

Excellent guide, well laid out step by step, thanks

I referenced it here if you dont mind
    CPU's : i7-2600k
    Bench Boards : Maximus IV Extreme
    RAM : 2 x 2 G.Skill DDR3-2133 : 7-9-7-20
    GPU's : Asus CUII GTX 580 SLI

I am Xtreme
    This thread is a work in progress, so i may update some things, but i will make a post and say it has been edited. If you need help OCing on air/water and you are new to OCing feel free to post in here and I will chec this thread often, at least 1 time a day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    great work

i would recommend you do a quick perf comparison between adjusting JUST the multi, vs all the extra tweaking you did.
    I will do that for you this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Daveburt714 View Post
    Thanks for the guide!

I have an 8120 coming friday, Nice to see those kind of clocks with the lower model...
    Just wondered how many chips you tested? Do you think that one is above average or about normal.

Hopefully the bios on my Sabertooth will be as good as your UD7, that is a good looking board!
    I only have 1 CPU, this 8120, it has been the only CPU I have tested. I think maybe the max air OC and the max stable might be a tad higher, but they might be average, i am unsure as not many people own and have been able to test for the time I had, i had about a week to make this guide. This is my hunch but I believe that the TDPs and thus bulldozer's heat problem contribute positively to its OC potential. I am thinking AMD opted to use high leakage transistors, which we know will clock higher, but will also use a lot more power.

Quote Originally Posted by Leeghoofd View Post
    Sin isn't that 2600NB pretty unstable mate, you get a lower scores there at 1866. I tested with the CPU at the same 4.5Ghz speed, ram speeds at 1600C8 and I got pretty good scaling. Maybe at 1866 or higher the effect goes down. Maybe my press kit Asus board freaked out at certain times (don't have the 990FX UD7 yet)

You too see scaling with extra ram speed, while some sites claim its as fast at 1333 as at 1866... I'm completely stunned by some outcome...

@Cecil : if you want to OC this thing daily on air, plz get a high end board with enough power at the PWMS at 4.9 I'm already pulling over 400W out of the wall with just cinebench.
    Hey bud, 2600NB wasn't unstable, above 2700 was tho. 2600NB also didn't perform like i thought it would, so it might have been out of the CPUs comfort range, that is what i was trying to test for. Yea i saw I got a lower score with more memory, so something wasn't so optimized. The thing is also my CPu is ES, i have no idea how old it is, or if its recent enough to perform like the retail CPUs. That is one reason i opted out of a BD review, because if I know something might not be accurate, id rather not post it. I will do some testing, what do you recommend?

yes i found memory scaling, but I also used the same exact timings for the memory speeds, very loose timings so I could run with the same. I saw an article at one site, and they used loser timings for 1866 compared to 1600, i wanted to keep as many variables per test constant, so that this could be a useful guide. That is why you see some of the scores much lower than you would in a review, its a combo of not most updated BIOS, with ES CPU, with lose memory timings.

On a side note to power consumption, i have a 12v 8-pin power meter, i will hook up and make a video of of course my CPU has a 174W TDp as list lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Cele303 View Post
    great work sin

Can you please post some benchmark screenshots with your "optimized oc" for some comparison with our own setups?

thx in advance
    yes in fact i might change that up a bit when i do some testing. Its the same settings as in the video, i had to do it quick, that setting is more of a safe OC bet, than pure optimization. I guess you can say its good for 24/7 +/- some voltage depending on the CPU. But i put some of the things I learned to good use, i kept the CPUNB and HTLink close, I oced the CPu NB a bit, but i shoudl have left the HTLink a bit higher now that I am looking at it, even though it doesn't scale so well, i figure it should run at least at what it comes out of the box at. Id prob increase CPU NB to 2500mhz if i can. I will look into it, and run those benchmarks for you with benchmarks and prob some stability shots .

Quote Originally Posted by brolloks View Post
    Excellent guide, well laid out step by step, thanks

I referenced it here if you dont mind
    yea man go ahead. I saw your post, thanks for spreading it around
    Last edited by sin0822; 10-13-2011 at 06:03 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hey sin... could you do a few linx runs at different speeds with 5120mb problem size? Shoot for as high gflops are you can muster.
    Core i7 990x @ 4665MHz 30x155.5 | ASUS Rampage 3 Extreme 1601 Modded BIOS | 24GB (6x4GB) Mushkin Redline 999057 @ 1866MHz 8-8-8-24-1T
    2x MSI N770-2GD5/OC SLI Custom BIOS @ 1228/7464 | Samsung 840 EVO 1TB | 4x 3TB WD Red Raid 5 | Corsair RM1000 | 2x Dell SP2309W 2048x1152
    H2O Cooled | EK - Supreme HF Full Gold - FB RE3 | Swiftech - MCP35x2 - MCRes Micro v2 | HWLabs - 2x GTX 120 - GT Stealth 120
    7x Gentle Typhoon AP-0A 2150RPM | 1x Enermax Magma UC-MA12 1500RPM | Lian Li PC-A10B | 5GHz Gulftown

I am Xtreme
    great,
    can you do me one more quick favor too, test around the stock clocks at the lowest stable voltage they will allow (like 4ghz) and show us the power consumption vs stock. since some people need an efficient cruncher, it would be good to know how much room there is to drop voltage if you give it a decent heatsink.
    Last edited by Manicdan; 10-13-2011 at 07:22 PM.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

I am Xtreme
    got it will do, but result prob not until monday.

Also you can delete your own post look for the delete button under advanced editing

Aussie God
    I want one of those cases, unfortunately I have been told over and over again that they are not to be shipped outside company... Meaning either staff, or stolen.... Third solution is "prime bullshift" by Gigabyte Motherboards, which is the one I think is the situation. ("No, we dont find see a reason", is a valid answer, making up funny stories is not)

Anyhow; To the test, looks very good, and great that you have done the effort, spend the time, and selected a good/broad/decent set of benchmarks to prove a point, I appreciate that you reveal the impact of adjusting each setting, makes alot more sense than "here is stock" and "here is everything overclocked"..
    I dont really see it as a guide, as I ignore all guidelines, but I think it is a good analysis.
    Competition ranking;
    2005; Netbyte, Karise/Denmark #1 @ PiFast
    2008; AOCM II, Minfeld/Germany #2 @ 01SE/AM3/8M (w. Oliver)
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;
    2010; GOOC 2010 Many thanks to Gigabyte!

Aussie God
    Double post, edited instead of deleting to highlight instability on the forum.
    Competition ranking;
    2005; Netbyte, Karise/Denmark #1 @ PiFast
    2008; AOCM II, Minfeld/Germany #2 @ 01SE/AM3/8M (w. Oliver)
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;
    2010; GOOC 2010 Many thanks to Gigabyte!

what brand is the water cooling ?
    and it is much better then the stock air cooling ?
    e2160
    ip35-e
    Geil 2048MB 800MHZ
    hd 2600xt
    western digital 250gb
    Corsair VX 450W
    hec 6a19

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by M.Beier View Post
    I want one of those cases, unfortunately I have been told over and over again that they are not to be shipped outside company... Meaning either staff, or stolen.... Third solution is "prime bullshift" by Gigabyte Motherboards, which is the one I think is the situation. ("No, we dont find see a reason", is a valid answer, making up funny stories is not)

Anyhow; To the test, looks very good, and great that you have done the effort, spend the time, and selected a good/broad/decent set of benchmarks to prove a point, I appreciate that you reveal the impact of adjusting each setting, makes alot more sense than "here is stock" and "here is everything overclocked"..
    I dont really see it as a guide, as I ignore all guidelines, but I think it is a good analysis.
    Maybe it differs per region you know?

Thanks for the post, i appreciate it. I did a lot of testing, and i am trying to make OC guides for platform i have my hands on, so that i can help others. I like doing them with my reviews, and i am always trying to make them better. I thought overclockers like yourself would like those charts, as they show a few benches and not just one, and they show trends, wether good or bad. Many times the results don't match up across all benchmarks, and that kind of got to me, but nevertheless i posted them.

Thank tho

Quote Originally Posted by eladlevi View Post
    The water cooling is an Antec Kulher 920, its pretty nifty device, and yea it cools a lot better than the stock cooler. But that doesn't mean you can't OC on the stock BD cooler, it isn't a bad cooler persay.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by M.Beier View Post

Maybe it differs per region you know?

Thanks for the post, i appreciate it. I did a lot of testing, and i am trying to make OC guides for platform i have my hands on, so that i can help others. I like doing them with my reviews, and i am always trying to make them better. I thought overclockers like yourself would like those charts, as they show a few benches and not just one, and they show trends, wether good or bad. Many times the results don't match up across all benchmarks, and that kind of got to me, but nevertheless i posted them.

Thank tho

Quote Originally Posted by eladlevi View Post
    The water cooling is an Antec Kulher 920, its pretty nifty device, and yea it cools a lot better than the stock cooler. But that doesn't mean you can't OC on the stock BD cooler, it isn't a bad cooler persay.

Xtreme Mentor
    sin: Have you had problems with P95? My machine seems very stable ~4.9 and will run every benchmark I've thrown at it including 20 passes of IBT.
    For some reason though, P95 fails on a couple cores almost instantly unless I really crank the v's (>1.4v) and then heat becomes a problem when loaded (~56c)....

Maybe I'm just asking a little too much, but I wondered if you've noticed any incompatabilty with Prime95.

Thanks, Dave
    AMD FX-8350 (1237 PGN) | Asus Crosshair V Formula (bios 1703) | G.Skill 2133 CL9 @ 2230 9-11-10 | Sapphire HD 6870 | Samsung 830 128Gb SSD / 2 WD 1Tb Black SATA3 storage | Corsair TX750 PSU
    Watercooled ST 120.3 & TC 120.1 / MCP35X XSPC Top / Apogee HD Block | WIN7 64 Bit HP | Corsair 800D Obsidian Case

First Computer: Commodore Vic 20 (circa 1981).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast