Thread: Ivy Bridge Deskstop Processor 2012 SKU Strategy (Preliminary)

Xtreme Mentor

Ivy Bridge Deskstop Processor 2012 SKU Strategy (Preliminary)

Xtreme Mentor
    Thats the point these chips are more focused on mobile computing because AMD turned its focus on mobile computing with fusion. This is Intels response better/similar performance at a lower power rating.
    Coming Soon

Xtreme Mentor

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaidev View Post
    Thats the point these chips are more focused on mobile computing because AMD turned its focus on mobile computing with fusion. This is Intels response better/similar performance at a lower power rating.
    They are still quad cores. Intel had its first quad cores made using 65nm, and these are 22nm. So of course their TDP is going to be low.
    Last edited by zalbard; 10-16-2011 at 03:12 AM.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

I am Xtreme
    Dualcore TDP drops form 65W to 35W for the normal version... I guess we'll see something like 15-20W for the LV version... quite nice

But naming scheme... IB -> 3700K really... wth. SB-E is also 39xx so IB-E will be 4xxx and haswell will also be 4xxx?
    Last edited by Hornet331; 10-16-2011 at 03:33 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by onethreehill View Post
    honestly guys these chinese translations go right over my head. I'm lost.

all I can IMAGINE he is saying is: #1, motherboard manufacturers are done their ivy bridge boards, and are moving on to haswell boards.

and: #2, there will be no 6-core ivy bridge. meaning there will be no XEON/enthusiast ivy bridge. meaning EITHER: A) X79 will NEVER see new chips past the first SNB-E chips, and haswell will replace it in a year or whatever, or B) or there WILL be new SNB-E X79 chips in a year even when haswell comes out, or C) ...the next chips for X79 will be haswell.

yep I'm lost.

All I can think up myself is that X58 and nehalem->westmere has been a long-lived, high-performance, and top-of-the-charts platform, and will CONTINUE to be after X79 and SNB-E come out. Therefore, since such long life is not good business for intel, I imagine they have reason to kill X79 before it survives 3 years like X58 has. X58 has turned out to be good enough to last you 5 years after 2008, and still keep you in the top 5% of the steam survey. Intel wants you upgrading more often, I think!

After reading this, I'm happy that X79 might see a haswell chip, and I'm sad that X79 might never see ANY new chip. What if there is an x89+haswell in a year?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by bamtan2 View Post
    honestly guys these chinese translations go right over my head. I'm lost.
    and: #2, there will be no 6-core ivy bridge. meaning there will be no XEON/enthusiast ivy bridge.
    Ivy Bridge is the low end / mid range consumer cpu range, just like its predecessor Sandy Bridge, due to that there will never be a Ivy Bridge Cpu with more than 4 physical cores.
    All it means is that anything with more than 4 cores will have a different codename.

Xtreme Guru
    I just hope these won't have some low random multi limit before becoming power/heat limited cuz on the paper these sound like they could be OC champs on air/water... 5.5GHz air or so. Doubt these are gonna be much better for LN2 though but yea at least I hope it won't hit the same multi limits as SB. 4 physical cores is definitely getting a bit outdated in 2012 but I could live with that if performance per watt and overclockability is good and the pricing is about the same as it was for SB.
    Last edited by RPGWiZaRD; 10-16-2011 at 09:02 AM.
    Intel? Core i5-4670K @ 4.3 GHz | ASRock Extreme6 Z87 | G.Skill Sniper 2x8GB @ DDR4-1866 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 970 OC Windforce 3x | Super Flower Titanium 1000W | ViewSonic VX2268wm 120Hz LCD | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | Logitech MX-518 | Win 7 x64 Professional | Samsung 850 EVO & 840 Pro SSDs

If all people would share opinions in an objective manner, the world would be a friendlier place

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by naokaji View Post
    Ivy Bridge is the low end / mid range consumer cpu range, just like its predecessor Sandy Bridge, due to that there will never be a Ivy Bridge Cpu with more than 4 physical cores.
    All it means is that anything with more than 4 cores will have a different codename.
    you have contributed nothing. obviously a different ivy bridge would have a different name. did you see the chinese guy say there would be a different ivy bridge with a different name? did you get anything out of what he said?

Xtreme Member
    So it seems we might be having 35W Quads and 25W Duals in the mobile segment as well

How I wish they release 95W quads @ 4Ghz rather than limiting performance by keeping them in lower TDP brackets, atleast for the Desktop i7. Or is it the magic of the 3D Transistors ?
    Va fail, dh'oine.

"I am going to hunt down people who have strong opinions on subjects they dont understand " - Dogbert

Always rooting for the underdog ...