Thread: Worth putting my 2009 MacBook Pro to work?

Xtreme Member

Worth putting my 2009 MacBook Pro to work?

Hey guys.

I've been absent for quite a while, as I am now at university in Canada (originally from the UK). Anyways, I had to sell my rig(s) as I did not have the room etc for my big rigs. I am currently running a mid-2009 macbook pro with the following specs:

2.26ghz Core 2 Duo
    8GB DDR3 memory (upgraded myself)
    Geforce 9400m 256mb (shared with ram)
    320gb hdd
    OSX Lion (latest Mac OS)

Is there anything I can run that won't cook my laptop? and is it even worth bothering with? I used to do quite a lot of crunching back in the day. I also work part-time at the university which has a nice internet connection, if that can be put to any use?

Thanks for any help

Q6600@3.2ghz - 8GB DDR2 - 8800GT 512MB

Crunching 24\7 with WCG

_
    You could join the Majestic 12 Team. The goal of the project is to "crawl" the internet and create a search engine. Like a distributed Google. It will use a lot of bandwith and almost no CPU.

Xtreme Member
    Yeah, I think I ran that a few years ago. Is it worth doing? last thing I remember nobody actually "used"/or benefitted from it, and it just seemed a bit pointless? Have things changed with it?

Q6600@3.2ghz - 8GB DDR2 - 8800GT 512MB

Crunching 24\7 with WCG

Xtreme Cruncher
    Yeah, if you have a Macbook, don't ever do BOINC. You wouldn't want to cook your laptop.

Since you got a University connection, do Majestic12! It is a really fun project.
    They had a payout a while ago and I had something like 5 pounds from it, but I only ran it for a few months. I think Dave got like a few hundred bucks out of it.

Before you try it make sure you got a uncapped connection. I stopped because I got capped
    Team XS: xs4s.org