Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 31011121314151623 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD FX-8150 Bulldozer finally tested

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice MJ View Post
    They might even keep unclocked chips in the mainstream segment, but they probably wont push IB stock clocks much over what we have today if they dont need too (3.6-3.8GHz 4C/8T with 5-10% IPC boost).
    ivy bridge will have a 63x max Intel multi instead of 57x so i am guessing w will see like 65x

Xtreme Guru
    The reactions of some people really get me laughing.

People wanted to see results posted so Lab501 did that. Unfortunately, some of us are bound by NDA so we can't comment on the accuracy of said numbers but....

Since they weren't anywhere near what some people expected, small details are picked and prodded until we get the "impossible", "BS!" and "biased" words thrown around for heaven knows what reason.

So if these numbers are accurate, will those same people post again saying "we were wrong!"? Methinks not. They'll go sulk in a corner for 5 minutes, find another thread to pick apart and then ultimately go buy an Intel processor. On the flip side of that coin, if the numbers are inaccurate or wrong, Lab501 has pretty much burned every possible bridge with a major manufacturer and will be the butt end of communal jokes until Theo or Charlie screw up again.

So which one will it be? Man, the next few days will be interesting to say the least.....

Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    So if these numbers are accurate, will those same people post again saying "we were wrong!"? Methinks not. They'll go sulk in a corner for 5 minutes, find another thread to pick apart and then ultimately go buy an Intel processor.
    I disagree. I'll go sulk in a corner for 5 minutes, pick apart another thread, then continue using my current CPU
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

PerryR
    Since they weren't anywhere near what some people expected, small details are picked and prodded until we get the "impossible", "BS!" and "biased" words thrown around for heaven knows what reason.
    This line makes me think you know it's bad, since the same could be asked of people who know that'll it suck based on this one review

Regardless, I still find it strange that AMD is willing to charge around $280 for a failed processor. The price came from this microcenter employee.

http://www.overclock.net/amd-general...ate-specs.html

Xtreme Cruncher
    AMD stated nothing over $250 during the live event, so I imagine that pricing will change (eventually).

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by PerryR View Post
    This line makes me think you know it's bad, since the same could be asked of people who know that'll it suck based on this one review
    I will repeat what others said: never, ever base your purchasing decisions or opinion about a certain product off of:

A) Rumors

B) A single review / preview

At this time everyone wants to know how this thing does so let's all wait until we see a large cross section of results before flinging crap around.

Xtreme Member
    IIRC the PII 1090 and 1100 where both around 290 when first released but dropped down to 190 pretty fast so you will probably see this for these proc price drop as well. Supply and demand will dictate the price. Now if current results hold true I guess I should be glad Amd screwed up but I feel a bit a little bad for them since I know how much hard work it takes to get these things out successfully. Well if it helps I can talk to the big shots and see if we can fab those bulldozers on a proper 32nm process

PerryR
    I will repeat what others said: never, ever base your purchasing decisions or opinion about a certain product off of:

A) Rumors

B) A single review / preview

At this time everyone wants to know how this thing does so let's all wait until we see a large cross section of results before flinging crap around.

I was just joshing tis all.

AMD stated nothing over $250 during the live event, so I imagine that pricing will change (eventually).
    I've heard about this event, but can't tell which one it is.

Xtreme Member
    I have been lurking, waiting, and I have to say.
    It's the strangest build up to a CPU launch I have experienced so far.
    Although I am full of a fever at the moment so everything is a little odd.
    Can anyone remember AMD being so tight lipped on figures prior to launch?
    Just about anything bulldozer related.
    I have spent the day testing various BIOS on AMD chips > compatible code > optimised > non-optimised.
    The results that have leaked so far give indication that the real performance is yet to be unleashed, the previews I'm seeing here sort of confirm this data pattern.
    I think first of all BIOS is the key here, followed by OS updates and then software optimisation.
    if this is raw performance on a compatible but non optimised BIOS I am quite happy then.

Xtreme Member
    If all these benchmarks are legit (and, at this point there is very little reason to doubt them since multiple people got pretty much the same results), the the only thing we are going to see the next few days is lots of spin control.

JF-AMD will have his work cut out for him, going into full damage control mode.

Nobody wants to only have one player in the mid to high end field, and at this time, it looks like that intel doesn't have anything to worry about, and they will continue to charge a premium for what they offer.

I still think AMD will do OK with the BD, they just need to adjust the price down, and hurry up and tape out pile driver.

Aussie God
    Quote Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
    Here is what I saw in actual gameplay with the settings that I actually use not some ty canned bench like what Hornet just posted like thats supposed mean something to me.

This is what I would expect from a "professional review" I should have left out the maximum framerate though.

This is an i5 750 at 4ghz and an i5 2500k at 4.7ghz.

And here is what I would have expected from you....
    Preview, review, do you know the difference? I think you do, do you need glasses then?
    Competition ranking;
    2005; Netbyte, Karise/Denmark #1 @ PiFast
    2008; AOCM II, Minfeld/Germany #2 @ 01SE/AM3/8M (w. Oliver)
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;
    2010; GOOC 2010 Many thanks to Gigabyte!

Aussie God

People wanted to see results posted so Lab501 did that. Unfortunately, some of us are bound by NDA so we can't comment on the accuracy of said numbers but....

So if these numbers are accurate, will those same people post again saying "we were wrong!"? Methinks not. They'll go sulk in a corner for 5 minutes, find another thread to pick apart and then ultimately go buy an Intel processor. On the flip side of that coin, if the numbers are inaccurate or wrong, Lab501 has pretty much burned every possible bridge with a major manufacturer and will be the butt end of communal jokes until Theo or Charlie screw up again.

So which one will it be? Man, the next few days will be interesting to say the least.....
    True, double true.
    We want results, but fanboyism gets in the way for some..... Making Lab501 the bad guys for serving the enthuciasts..
    Competition ranking;
    2005; Netbyte, Karise/Denmark #1 @ PiFast
    2008; AOCM II, Minfeld/Germany #2 @ 01SE/AM3/8M (w. Oliver)
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;
    2010; GOOC 2010 Many thanks to Gigabyte!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking1962 View Post
    Monstru, I hope you not playing with us and the benchmark are true or not paid by Intel to do this. If its fake you desserve a big punch in your face from everyone who uses a AMD in this forum. Im not the happiest man in the world right now
    Maybe he's been paid by AMD to leak it so if the actual performance is very close to the 2600K people will be ecstatic, rather than mildly disappointed if they hadn't seen these benchmarks .
    Last edited by Ice009; 10-09-2011 at 09:16 PM.

Monstru, I hope you not playing with us and the benchmark are true or not paid by Intel to do this. If its fake you desserve a big punch in your face from everyone who uses a AMD in this forum. Im not the happiest man in the world right now
    Computer 1: AMD Vishera FX-8350 - Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z (AM3+) - Zotac GF 560Ti 448 Core - 8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill TridentX 2400MHz - Samsung 500GB - Samsung 1TB - Western Digital 1TB - Motherboard Sound - Bitfenix Ghost - BenQ XL2410T
    Computer 2: AMD Phenom II x6 1100T BE - Asus M4A79T Deluxe (AM3) - Sapphire 5870 - 8GB 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance - Western Digital 500GB - X-FI XtremeGamer - Antec 300 - Samsung SyncMaster 204B

Xtreme Addict
    ...lol wtf how did your comment end up quoted before you made it? who here is versed in temporal mechanics?
    Last edited by god_43; 10-09-2011 at 09:44 PM.
    [MOBO] Asus CrossHair Formula 5 AM3+
    [GPU] ATI 6970 x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    [RAM] G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
    [CPU] AMD FX-8120 @ 4.8 ghz
    [COOLER] XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 WaterCooling
    [OS] Windows 8 x64 Enterprise
    [HDD] OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
    [AUDIO] Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1

Xtreme Addict
    all the conspiracy theories are messing up spacetime

Xtreme Member
    I don't know how how my post ended up above his, the quote was done before the edit too .

Xtreme Member
    Lab501.ro +1

At least they left plenty of numbers for them to upgrade to.

The rest of you guys just remind me why I stopped visiting this site...

Xtreme Addict

I've been tempted to comment on some of this that's been going on but I'm in the same boat as you. Oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian View Post
    I've been tempted to comment on some of this that's been going on but I'm in the same boat as you. Oh well.
    You could give us a hint!
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    Yes, please do,

would like to know if their is any light at the end of the 5 year tunnel!
    Seasonic Prime TX-850 Platinum | MSI X570 MEG Unify | Ryzen 5 5800X 2048SUS, TechN AM4 1/2" ID
    32GB Viper Steel 4400, EK Monarch @3733/1866, 1.64v - 13-14-14-14-28-42-224-16-1T-56-0-0
    WD SN850 1TB | Zotac Twin Edge 3070 @2055/1905, Alphacool Eisblock
    2 x Aquacomputer D5 | Eisbecher Helix 250
    EK-CoolStream XE 360 | Thermochill PA120.3 | 6 x Arctic P12

looncraz
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Part of me still hopes it might be a Radeon 9700 pro deal, where it was released and was sucky due to some serious stability issues (my brother had one at the time and experienced this), then they realized that the card hated AGP fast writes for some reason (which they did fix with the 9800). Disable fast writes in the system BIOS and the card turned into a monster that completely caught nvidia off guard.

Not likely, but I'm still sort of hoping there is some flaw in the BIOS coding or whatever that is easily fixed, turning the CPU into a monster.

Vain hope? Probably.

Actually, we already have such an issue known for Bulldozer, and NO bench-marked system has the patch installed!

The shared L1 cache is causing cross invalidations across threads so that the prefetch data is incorrect in too many cases and data must be fetched again. The fix is a "simple" memory alignment and (possible)tagging system in the kernel of Windows/Linux.

I reviewed the code for the Linux patch and was astonished by just how little I know of the Linux kernel... lol! In any event, it could easily cost 10% in terms of single threaded performance, possibly more than double that in multi-threaded loads on the same module due to the increased contention and randomness of accesses.

Not sure if ordained reviewers have been given access to the MS patch, but I'd imagine (and hope) so! Last I saw, the Linux kernel patch was still being worked on by AMD (publicly) and Linus was showing some distaste for the method used to address the issue. One comment questioned the performance cost but had received no replies... but you don't go re-working kernel memory mapping for anything less than 5-10%... just not worth it!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    don't!
    later the hint goes against the fact...

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by looncraz View Post
    Actually, we already have such an issue known for Bulldozer, and NO bench-marked system has the patch installed!

The shared L1 cache is causing cross invalidations across threads so that the prefetch data is incorrect in too many cases and data must be fetched again. The fix is a "simple" memory alignment and (possible)tagging system in the kernel of Windows/Linux.

I reviewed the code for the Linux patch and was astonished by just how little I know of the Linux kernel... lol! In any event, it could easily cost 10% in terms of single threaded performance, possibly more than double that in multi-threaded loads on the same module due to the increased contention and randomness of accesses.

Not sure if ordained reviewers have been given access to the MS patch, but I'd imagine (and hope) so! Last I saw, the Linux kernel patch was still being worked on by AMD (publicly) and Linus was showing some distaste for the method used to address the issue. One comment questioned the performance cost but had received no replies... but you don't go re-working kernel memory mapping for anything less than 5-10%... just not worth it!
    wow

Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 31011121314151623 ... LastLast