Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Project "Little Angel": My return to water cooling!

Xtreme Member

Project "Little Angel": Sleeving pattern testing!

- Sponsors -

Aquatuning España / Atlas Informática / NZXT
    ProSilentPC / Seasonic / IzarMicro

Gracias a todos los sponsors por colaborar en el proyecto.
    Many thanks to all the sponsors for the support given to this project

-[ Hardware ]-

Case: Little Devil PC V8 - White (OK)
    Mother board: ¿? (WAITING)
    CPU: ¿? (WAITING)
    RAM: ¿? (WAITING)
    GPU’s: ¿? (WAITING)
    PSU: 2 x Seasonic X-850 (sponsored by Seasonic)

-[ Water Cooling Parts ]-

Pumps: 2 x MCP655 (WAITING)
    Rads: 3 x ¿? (WAITING)
    Reservoir: ¿? (WAITING)
    Fans: 13 x 120mm NZXT (NZXTFX120LB) and 2 x 140mm NZXT (NZXTFX140LB) (ORDERED)
    Fittings: Bitspower, Matt Black in 19/13 (waiting for more...)

Diagnostic:
    Aquaero 5 XT (WAITING)
    Extras: Aquaero 5 XT Accesories (OK)

Tubo: Primochill Primoflex – White 19/13 (OK)
    Killcoil: 3 x Pulsar Modding (OK)

-[ Other ]-

Wiring: 18 AWG for custom PSU length wires and 24 AWG for fans (OK)
    Connectors and pins: To use with Aquaero, Mother Board, sound card...(OK)
    MDPC-X: Washers, nuts, sleeving, heatshrink etc.. (WAITING)

Hello everyone! I've been around for a while but most of the time reading and learning from all the active members of XS!
    This is a Big Update system I was waiting for the last couple of years, I will change from a e8500 to a i7 2600k or 2700k if it’s really worth it!

Maybe If the build takes longer Ivy Bridge… but don’t think they will release them anytime “soon”

Xtremesystems is the responsible of taking me back to Water Cooling.
    8 Years ago I already had a fully Water Cooled rig, but after couple of years rad started to leak, I had to replace tubing and I thought that it was enough water cooling for me so I changed to air cooling and thought that never would use water again… BUT then I joined Xtremesystems in 2008, just after I finished my last “air cooled” rig and decided that my next gaming PC would be Water Cooled again.

So here we are 3 years later ready to start with this build!
    Hope you guys like it, will keep the log updated.
    Now I have to wait for some parts and wait some time to order some others…
    Last edited by SoMBrA; 03-02-2012 at 08:57 AM. Reason: new sponsors

Xtreme Member
    Worklog Index

October 2011

* 04/10/2011 - Little Devil at home!
    * 09/10/2011 - First Bitspower fittings arrival
    * 11/10/2011 - Powered By Seasonic!
    * 12/10/2011 - NZXT Fans from Atlas Informática
    * 12/10/2011 - Modifying NZXT 120mm fans
    * 13/10/2011 - Modifying NZXT 140mm fans
    * 18/10/2011 - Unboxing Seasonic X-850
    * 19/10/2011 - Photoshooting Seasonic X-850
    * 20/10/2011 - Changing bitspower O-rings
    * 31/10/2011 - "Custom" thumbscrews!

November 2011

* 22/11/2011 - Lian Li metal casters for Little Devil

December 2011

* 22/12/2011 - Seasonic x850 x 2!!! PSU

January 2012

* 09/01/2012 - Little Devil's Dual PSU support
    * 09/01/2012 - Dual PSU "starter" PCB and Led PCB
    * 11/01/2012 - Lian Li Metal casters installed!
    * 15/01/2012 - Swiftech Limited Edition #124 Block
    * 16/01/2012 - Swiftech "Custom" Limited Edition!
    * 20/01/2012 - Cardboard Rads! (test fitting!)
    * 24/01/2012 - Wires everywhere

February 2012

* 01/02/2012 - Some sleeving pattern tests...
    * 02/02/2012 - Even more sleeving testing...
    * 05/02/2012 - Fan sleeving test
    Last edited by SoMBrA; 02-05-2012 at 01:03 PM. Reason: index updated!

Xtreme Member

Last edited by SoMBrA; 09-15-2017 at 02:00 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Ok so here you have some pictures of the "unboxing" (it was a fast one...)

My Lian Li looks like a joke next to the Little Devil...

My precious....

The case in It's final location

There is a lot of work to do... can't wait to get started
    Last edited by SoMBrA; 10-07-2011 at 04:21 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Interesting the case looks awesome!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ying View Post
    Interesting the case looks awesome!
    Hello Ying and thanks ;-)
    Small update!

Just ordered some more Bitspower Fittings and waiting fans from sponsors...

Thanks to Atlas informática and NZXT

13 x NZXT FX120LB

2 x NZXT FX140LB

Will need to order 3 x Power Adjust 2 to be able to control them with Aquaero 5 XT.

I've also updated the first post with all the hardware I will use (still thinking of which PSU

Xtreme Member
    So a little update (pictures really...)
    I've spend the day checking online stores and filling shopping carts

The part that I enjoy the most is when you have to plan all the fittings you thinkg you are going to need... you need to study to learn all the fittings available!

I just ordered some more Bitspower fittings, but just checked what I have in stock at home... and here are the picutres

Compression Fitting 19/13 - Matt Black

45º Adaptaer + Compression Fitting

"Quick Disconnect" from Bitspower and male-to-male adapter

This is a random scene from a bitspower pr0n site

I will change all the green O-ring to black ones, just ordered some replacements!
    I'm now witing for a lot of bitspower stop fittings and some 90º adapters plus some couplers and "pass through" fittings...

Next package should have NZXT Fans

I think I have to invest In a new camera (using Sony DSC-R1, love it but...)
    Need reflex camera so I can use some sexy macro-lens with it!

Also need to get some "portable" lights so I can create better light for pictures!

Thanks to: - [ Aquatuning | Atlas Informática | NZXT | ProSilentPC | Seasonic | IzarMicro ] -

Hi!

Nice to se some more ppl buying the LD V8. Build a clients build in the similar case with red interior and black exterior, however he is changing to one of the CaseLabs T-series cases becasue he think the doors is a PITA to remove.

Protip on the reservoir; Koolance RP-452X2. http://www.koolance.com/water-coolin...roduct_id=2025
    Might take some time to bleed, but it works flawless when everything is sorted, aswell as it saves space and makes the insides of the case MUCH cleaner! I routed as many tubes as possible behind the motherboard tray, and it worked nice with this installed.

What ID + OD is are those tubes in inches? Wouldn't go over 3/8ID + 5/8OD (10mm ID?), it might seem a bit excessive in size. (My opinion)

Last thing, why would you use a killcoil? it makes the liquid leading when the silver ions makes contact with the water. Destilled water would do great alone?

Regards, and good luck!

Xtreme Member
    Yea, theres negligible temp difference when using 3/8" vs 1/2" tubing, but youll get more pressure from 3/8".

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Edited View Post
    Hi!

Nice to se some more ppl buying the LD V8. Build a clients build in the similar case with red interior and black exterior, however he is changing to one of the CaseLabs T-series cases becasue he think the doors is a PITA to remove.

Protip on the reservoir; Koolance RP-452X2. http://www.koolance.com/water-coolin...roduct_id=2025
    Might take some time to bleed, but it works flawless when everything is sorted, aswell as it saves space and makes the insides of the case MUCH cleaner! I routed as many tubes as possible behind the motherboard tray, and it worked nice with this installed.

What ID + OD is are those tubes in inches? Wouldn't go over 3/8ID + 5/8OD (10mm ID?), it might seem a bit excessive in size. (My opinion)

Last thing, why would you use a killcoil? it makes the liquid leading when the silver ions makes contact with the water. Destilled water would do great alone?

Regards, and good luck!
    Hello!
    * The LD V8 is a very nice case, but the screws are a PITA to remove as you say haha, but anyways, I will keep the case open while working with the case and after that It will be closed so it's ok I guess
    Thanks for the reservoir tip, I really like the Koolance but I was going to choose the EK Adavanced RES + Dual D5 + Dual D5 Top since there is a lot of space inside the case I think that will look good

* The tube I'm going to use is the Primochill Primoflex in 1/2" ID and 3/4" OD

* KillCoil + Distilled Water I think is my best bet to be "algae proof". What you mean with "it makes the liquid leading when the silver ions makes contact with the water", could you explain?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Furball Zen View Post
    Yea, theres negligible temp difference when using 3/8" vs 1/2" tubing, but youll get more pressure from 3/8".
    I went for the 1/2" tubing because of the looks really.. It's hard to fill this huge case lol
    I think the pressure will be good but you never know, thanks for the comment and hope you like the end result

Thanks to: - [ Aquatuning | Atlas Informática | NZXT | ProSilentPC | Seasonic | IzarMicro ] -

Quote Originally Posted by SoMBrA View Post

* KillCoil + Distilled Water I think is my best bet to be "algae proof". What you mean with "it makes the liquid leading when the silver ions makes contact with the water", could you explain?
    Google translate from my webshop in Norway. Some gramatical errors may occur;

This is a frequently recommended product among water cooling enthusiasts. It is claimed to prevent organic fouling in water cooling system.

We are tempted to call it SCAMIUM X-2000 (Edited ref: a marketing hoax/test some year ago in Norway). For Authors defense must however be said that they believe in the efficacy of silver, so they are not scamming people off consciously.

The story behind is that in the old Roman Empire, in the Wild West and in many other cultures were silver coins used to control the fouling of algae and bacteria in drinking water. It is so far correct, but silver is more focused on bacteria (eg E. coli and Legionella) than algae. Towards the algae, which is what you want to fight, copper is preferable (cf kobberhud and copper fabric on boats) and it will often be copper in a water cooling system (but nothing to prevent organic growth).

A crucial difference between the cowboy's drinking water and the water you use in water cooling system is purity. Silver does not dissolve in water. The distilled water you use will certainly not be clean so long, among other things, it will take up CO2 as soon as it comes in contact with air and become slightly acidic. Some silver will be dissolved as ions, but in very low concentrations and most likely not enough to have any effect at all.

Is there evidence that the silver is preventing organic fouling in the water cooling system? No, absolutely nothing. On forums around you will find users who claim to have good experiences with the silver, and you will find users that claim that it does not have any effect at all, it grows anyway.

A prerequisite for organic fouling is the presence of micro-organisms. Are you using new, unused components and only distilled water you can get a water cooling system free from organic fouling. Feel free to choose to use silver as well, but the absence of fouling should be attributed to the absence of micro-organisms and the presence of silver.

What about galvanic corrosion, the silver represent a danger in this respect? Fans of silver would argue that there is no risk and refer to the primary index. It is wrong. The primary index is metal that is in touch with each other and are not relevant. For the two metals immersed in electrolyte (coolant) must be risk assessed based on Standard Electrode Potential. On the table is, unfortunately, silver is a good distance away from other metals such as aluminum, chromium, nickel and copper.

Will you make it extra difficult for yourself so follow the advice given to U.S. online stores. "It (IandH Dead-Water Copper Sulfate) can be used alone, or as extra insurance against growth in conjunction with silver killcoils in Pure-silver or other pre-mixed coolants." First, you are thus making the liquid conductive with copper sulphate, then add a piece of pure silver in the coolant. Then you can just sit down and wait until the destruction is a fact.

"Jozef Stefan" Institute in Slovenia received for analysis a water block that was damaged by the use of distilled water and Silver KillCoil. The recommendation was "Corrosion can be avoided by the use of a low-conducting, anti-corrosion liquid (which, in principle, is also distilled or deionized water).....The introduction of additional metals into the system (silver, etc.) or the use of ionic algaecides (copper sulfate, etc.) even in minor concentrations can trigger the corrosion processes."

Why does sell TechBay this? The answer is that we do not want to sell IandH Silver KillCoil. We want to help you away from a wrong choice the right choice. Do yourself a favor and buy Aqua Computer Double Protect, Ekoolant or a similar premix instead. These provide effective protection against both organic fouling and corrosion.

Hope this answers it I would go with destilled water ONLY. Also check this link;

http://www.ekwaterblocks.com/shop/EK...port_Final.pdf
    Last edited by Edited; 10-20-2011 at 04:18 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Google translate from my webshop in Norway. Some gramatical errors may occur;

Hope this answers it I would go with destilled water ONLY. Also check this link;

http://www.ekwaterblocks.com/shop/EK...port_Final.pdf
    Very nice information you have provided me, thank you very much!
    I'm surprised about all the information, and also well documented!
    I have KillCoil and also the "Dead-Water" and I'm not going to use any of both...

You think I should give Double Protect form Aqua Computer a try?
    Last edited by SoMBrA; 10-11-2011 at 09:54 PM.

Hi again! Happy to help you from the wrong choice.

I have only used the destilled version of the AquaComputer DP, and I am more than satisfied with it, so yes. It's an "all go". Never used a premixed, but the color is very much alive and have a nice hue to it (read some reviews over at some german forum).

Good luck, happy shopping!

Xtreme Member

Hello everyone! I'm really happy to anounce a new sponsor that decided to help me with my project, It's Seasonic which is going to provide the Little Angel with a Seasonic X-850
    Thank you very much!

I'm sure you guys already know, but stay tuned because the new PLATINUM SERIES from Seasonic are about to be released! Check it out Seasonic Platinum 1000W

1. 80plus Platinum-high 92%. efficiency
    2. Fanless mode under 30% load!
    3. 7 years warranty
    4. Launching in November
    5. Available in 860W - 1000W range

Mother of God I envy you. I believe Seasonic is the best there is when you want a PSU.

That 1000W Platinum unit seems BEEFY! Do want

Are you planning to sleeve it? Much easier when it is 100% modular.

Xtreme Member
    Mother of God I envy you. I believe Seasonic is the best there is when you want a PSU.

That 1000W Platinum unit seems BEEFY! Do want

Are you planning to sleeve it? Much easier when it is 100% modular.
    Yes, my old build already had a Seasonic M12 700W and I was 100% sure I wanted to go with Seasonic again

And yes, I will sleeve everything, that will take time, but I think it's worth the effort to show some gratitude to my sponsors (Fans, PSU, etc..)

The 1000W Platinum is beautiful... (If that makes any sense at all lol!)
    I'd like to use one of those... maybe for next build

Xtreme Member
    Hi again! Happy to help you from the wrong choice.

I have only used the destilled version of the AquaComputer DP, and I am more than satisfied with it, so yes. It's an "all go". Never used a premixed, but the color is very much alive and have a nice hue to it (read some reviews over at some german forum).

Good luck, happy shopping!
    Thanks for your help Edited
    About the AquaComputer DP, If i buy 1 bottle of much do you add in the loop?
    I just read that AquaComputer recommends to change the DP once a year, but It doesn't say how much DP per litre is needed

I'm almost ready to order some DP just want to make sure how much do I need to get

Thanks for your help Edited
    About the AquaComputer DP, If i buy 1 bottle of much do you add in the loop?
    I just read that AquaComputer recommends to change the DP once a year, but It doesn't say how much DP per litre is needed

I'm almost ready to order some DP just want to make sure how much do I need to get

Hello again!

Please provide a link of the Double Protect you mean? Not really sure right of the bat.
    As far as i know, all the AC DP is premixed and de-ionized with all the anti algae/corrosion stuff you'd want, so a couple of litres (depending on your loop) would be sufficient.

When I built the client LDPC V8, we used 3x 480 rads. of those, two were 6mm thick Coolgate, and one were 4mm EKWB. Together with approx 1.5 metres of tubeing (and the 200ml Koolance bay res), 2 litres was enough. However I would allways buy double the length of fluid and cables just to be sure.

Two questions come to mind;
    - Are you buying distilled only, or with dye?
    - What kind of reservoir are you looking for?

Last edited by Edited; 10-12-2011 at 04:06 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Hello again!

Please provide a link of the Double Protect you mean? Not really sure right of the bat.
    As far as i know, all the AC DP is premixed and de-ionized with all the anti algae/corrosion stuff you'd want, so a couple of litres (depending on your loop) would be sufficient.

When I built the client LDPC V8, we used 3x 480 rads. of those, two were 6mm thick Coolgate, and one were 4mm EKWB. Together with approx 1.5 metres of tubeing (and the 200ml Koolance bay res), 2 litres was enough. However I would allways buy double the length of fluid and cables just to be sure.

Two questions come to mind;
    - Are you buying distilled only, or with dye?
    - What kind of reservoir are you looking for?

Hi Edited, thanks for your help!
    This is the DP I was looking at - LINK
    I'm going with Distilled only because I'm too scared to use dyes hehe
    The reservoir I like is the EK X2 Advanced 250ml because of the multiple inlet/outlet options

About the radiators I was thinking to change them, to use with my high-rpm fans.. maybe I would use my fans at about 1850-2000rpm so I'm not sure which one to choose.
    How are those Coolgate rads? They look good and I like the 2 extra 1/4 threads they provide to route the tubing better!

Xtreme Member

Package from Atlas Informática with lots of NZXT fans. THANKS!

Family picture!

I'm working on the fans, removing the sleeving and the speed control that is built in the fan, will post pictures of the process in a couple of hours

Xtreme Member
    Good night everyone, here you have some updates, I've been working on the NZXT fans

The goal is to remove the speed controler and the NZXT sleeving...

Very nice sleeving

As you can see the fan speed controler allows you to select between Less - Moar - Hot....

Ok so we get rid of the sticker so we can start working.
    What we want to do is remove the 3 cables on the right side and then solder all the pins remaining together. Doing so the fan will always stay at full speed.
    Aquaero 5 will take control of all the computer fans

Sleeving and speed controller out!

All this work was possible because of a good friend of mine. Thanks "Lutro0"!

Just finished 5 fans out of 15... need to keep working

Once I finish with all the fans I will have to wait to resleeve them with MDPC and maybe adjust the cable length
    Last edited by SoMBrA; 10-16-2011 at 01:00 AM.

Hi Edited, thanks for your help!
    This is the DP I was looking at - LINK
    I'm going with Distilled only because I'm too scared to use dyes hehe
    The reservoir I like is the EK X2 Advanced 250ml because of the multiple inlet/outlet options

About the radiators I was thinking to change them, to use with my high-rpm fans.. maybe I would use my fans at about 1850-2000rpm so I'm not sure which one to choose.
    How are those Coolgate rads? They look good and I like the 2 extra 1/4 threads they provide to route the tubing better!
    Hi again, Sombra! Grats with the NZXT fans! How well do they work in terms of static pressure?

That DP in particular is the exact same type that I used in the client V8 build. Workls flawlessy, really ;D Agreed with the dyes.
    For the res, I would say you do not need 250ml, I also used that in a 800D client build, but it looked excessive - however, maybe it will fit in such a huge case? If not, 150ml would be more than enough. I do agree that it's a very nice res, the tube-channels within the res makes it very easy to bleed and fill.

The coolgate radiators wark flawlessy, we did the trick and put the two Coolgates in bottom of the case in parralel config for max temperature dissapation. Worked like a charm! I do agree that they route the tubeing better, much easier to work with. We used AP15's on them (1850 rpm) and they were awesome there.

Also, I might have missed it, but what kind of waterblocks are you choosing?
    Last edited by Edited; 10-13-2011 at 02:59 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Hi again, Sombra! Grats with the NZXT fans! How well do they work in terms of static pressure?

That DP in particular is the exact same type that I used in the client V8 build. Workls flawlessy, really ;D Agreed with the dyes.
    For the res, I would say you do not need 250ml, I also used that in a 800D client build, but it looked excessive - however, maybe it will fit in such a huge case? If not, 150ml would be more than enough. I do agree that it's a very nice res, the tube-channels within the res makes it very easy to bleed and fill.

The coolgate radiators wark flawlessy, we did the trick and put the two Coolgates in bottom of the case in parralel config for max temperature dissapation. Worked like a charm! I do agree that they route the tubeing better, much easier to work with. We used AP15's on them (1850 rpm) and they were awesome there.

Also, I might have missed it, but what kind of waterblocks are you choosing?
    About the NZXT fans, the air pressure data is, not sure if the Static pressure applys here...
    120mm
    LOW 0.75mm-H2O
    MEDIUM 2.4mm-H2O
    HIGH 4.9mm-H2O

140mm
    LOW 0.56mm-H20
    MEDIUM 1.3mm-H2O
    HIGH 2.2mm-H2O

About the reservoir I was going after 250ml because of the looks as you say, there is a lot of space inside the Little Devil, a 150ml maybe looks too small .
    Any suggestion of which extras to buy for the reservoir? I saw that there are many different types of internal tubes available for that reservoir (with holes in the acrylic for example)

Maybe, as you say, I should go with the Coolgate rads instead... I think I'm between Black Ice SR1 and the Coolgate 480

As for the blocks, I'm not sure, the only thing I know for sure is that I'm going to buy the new XSPC Raystorm, I'm in love with it, I love the idea to fit 1/2" - 3/4" compression fittings without any worries and also the looks .
    I'm not a big fan of leds, but maybe I would replace the blue leds for something else... I think It will look nice

Blocks for the GPU's is where I'm lost, I still don't know which graphic cards to choose, I was thinking maybe stay with 6970 and then, next year, do the big jump to a nice SLI or Crossfire setup.

I like the looks of EK blocks, I'd choose something with black and white acetal probably, or maybe order some custom backplate
    Suggestions?

About the NZXT fans, the air pressure data is, not sure if the Static pressure applys here...
    120mm
    LOW 0.75mm-H2O
    MEDIUM 2.4mm-H2O
    HIGH 4.9mm-H2O

140mm
    LOW 0.56mm-H20
    MEDIUM 1.3mm-H2O
    HIGH 2.2mm-H2O

About the reservoir I was going after 250ml because of the looks as you say, there is a lot of space inside the Little Devil, a 150ml maybe looks too small .
    Any suggestion of which extras to buy for the reservoir? I saw that there are many different types of internal tubes available for that reservoir (with holes in the acrylic for example)

Maybe, as you say, I should go with the Coolgate rads instead... I think I'm between Black Ice SR1 and the Coolgate 480

As for the blocks, I'm not sure, the only thing I know for sure is that I'm going to buy the new XSPC Raystorm, I'm in love with it, I love the idea to fit 1/2" - 3/4" compression fittings without any worries and also the looks .
    I'm not a big fan of leds, but maybe I would replace the blue leds for something else... I think It will look nice

Blocks for the GPU's is where I'm lost, I still don't know which graphic cards to choose, I was thinking maybe stay with 6970 and then, next year, do the big jump to a nice SLI or Crossfire setup.

I like the looks of EK blocks, I'd choose something with black and white acetal probably, or maybe order some custom backplate
    Suggestions?

Hi again!

- Suprisingly short on data for the fans. I hope they work well. A quick google search revealed that thy put up around 50 cfm

- Agreed on the reservoir, allthough I am a big fan of the Bitspower Z Multitube because of it's simplicity. There are tiny nozzles in the bottom of the res to prevent cyclones in the res. Top notch! However, I don't see them on aquatuning.

- About the rads; the Coolgates have a clear advantage since it har more in/outlets for whatever purpose you want. It also allows you to put two coolgates in parallel in the bottom of the V8. The fins spaceing and the materials used in both Black Ice and Coolagetes are both quite similar AFAIK, and they are both tareted against mid speed fans such as your NZXT fans.

- XSPC Raystorm is a nice block, indeed! I would have gone for white LED's and white tubeing to match up Maybe paint the top and bracket white? My favourite will tho allways be EKWB Supreme HF Cu (Full Nickel).

- Yes, buy a Cayman based GPU, 6970 and upgrade when the new 7-series ships. Put a EK White Acetal+Nickel on there, it looks so damn nice! The custom backplate is a nice idea.
    Last edited by Edited; 10-13-2011 at 02:28 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Promising project! I love white case!

SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH!

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast