Thread: hdd stopped working.

hdd stopped working.

Hi.

Hdd has stopped working while i was accessing it (not it has clickering sound- something is "smashed" inside). It was 7 months old well placed in bay with air cooling and anti vibration system. I have warranty of 5 years on him. But my data is crucial to me. I've moved all my important stuff on him because it was the best hdd in my system. I'm fool for not making it in raid 1, so all the data are lost. I don't know what is my next step. I'm here seeking for advice. I know that I'll have another in no-time because it was bought from distributor, not from the regular shop. The hdd model is WE RE4 1TB.

Thank you in advance.

Alen

Banned
    Send the HDD to a hard drive data recovery service.

and warranty? Not sure how that works.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Alen43 View Post
    and warranty? Not sure how that works.
    You really screwed up by not having backups of your crucial data. If you want to get your data back, it is going to cost you. Forget about the warranty, that is only for the HDD itself and the data recovery service will need to void the warranty to recover the data. I expect the recovery service will include a new HDD in the price of recovery...they will charge you many times the cost of a new HDD to recover your data.
    Last edited by johnw; 10-28-2011 at 11:46 AM.

Xtreme Guru
    yes you are going to have to open your wallet wide my friend.
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!

SLC
    Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    You really screwed up by not having backups of your crucial data. If you want to get your data back, it is going to cost you. Forget about the warranty, that is only for the HDD itself and the data recovery service will need to void the warranty to recover the data. I expect the recovery service will include a new HDD in the price of recovery...they will charge you many times the cost of a new HDD to recover your data.
    Some data recovery companies are certified by drive manufacturers to open drives in their clean rooms... i.e. the drive can still be RMAed after it was opened by a certified company.

OP: clicking drives are the most expensive ones, generally speaking.

In my country repair for swapping head for example is around 450 $. With that money I can buy two of these hard drives. Now need to wait to contact my distributor on monday. @Computurd: in some way I don't like your sentence but in the other way I like it from movie/funny point of view. I can't remember in which movie I've seen that quote. From all the hdds I have, this one with work data had to die. My fault not having this hdd arrayed. First time in my life i'm having mechanical problems with Hard disk drives.

Cheers,

Alen

Xtreme X.I.P.
    You need to consider a backup system before thinking about raid. (raid <> backup)
    -
    Hardware: