Thread: Do you install any updates on win7?

R.I.P computer

Do you install any updates on win7?

Do you install any of the updates.. all the kXX.... and sp1?

i'm running it bare without any updates what so ever and everything seems a bit snappier... will this negatively effect any 3d benchmarks? (isn't sp1 suppose to optimize something?)

2d seems to go a bit quicker though

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I see a Sandy Bridge in your sig. If you want to use it's AVX instruction set, you should/must install SP1.

I always keep my system up-to-date on the software side just to be safe.
    IQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

outdated hardware

Xtreme Mentor
    Yep, installed SP1 that's it so far.
    Ci7 990X::Rampage III Extreme::12GB Corsair Dominator 1866C7GT::2 x EVGA SC Titans in SLI::Corsair AX1200::TJ07::Watercooled
    Ci7 920 3849B018::Rampage II Extreme::6GB GSKILL Trident 2000C9 BBSE::EVGA GTX580::Antec Signature SG850::TJ09::Aircooled w/TRUE 120X

R.I.P computer
    does the avx instruction do anything but give bigger gflop in linX... does it effect any benches?

Xtreme Member
    I keep stuff up to date, mostly because there are all of those wonderful security updates fixing the holes in the system. I'm not a serious gamer or bencher on my desktop, so I don't see much of a performance drop (if any?), If you're going to use it for benching, you would probably want to strip it down to the essentials, but for regular use, I don't see where it would make THAT much of a difference, but like I said, I don't really game or anything, so I'm not sure about that.

Desktop (and Cruncher #1):AMD Phenom II x6 1090T @ 4.03Ghz | Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P (F8n) | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB @ 9-9-9-24-1T 1680MHz | Radeon HD 5850 & 5830 | Silverstone ST75F 750W | 60GB OCZ Vertex 2 3x1TB WD RE3 (Raid 5) | Lian Li PC-A70B
    Cruncher (#2): Intel Core I7 920 (stock) | EVGA X58 SLI | G.Skill Pi 3x2GB | 2x Radeon HD 6870 | Corsair HX850 | Some Janky HDD | LanCool PC-K7
    Cruncher (#3): Intel Core I7 2600k (stock) | BioStar TH67+ | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB | Antec Basiq550 | Some Janky HDD | Antec 300
    Server: Intel Atom | 2x2GB DDR3 | ThermalRight TR2-430 | Some Less Janky Laptop HDD | Fractal Core-1000
    Mobile: Lenovo X120e

Xtreme Member
    this question cant be serious.

Xtreme Addict
    I always install all security related updates, as well as pretty much all updates that say they address performance and /or compatibility issues.
    Rig 1:
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.75GHz
    16GB of Team Xtreme DDR-2666 RAM (11-13-13-35-2T)
    Nvidia GTX 670 4GB SLI

Rig 2:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX
    AMD FX-8350 @ 5.6GHz
    16GB of Mushkin DDR-1866 RAM (8-9-8-26-1T)
    AMD 6950 with 6970 bios flash

Yamakasi Catleap 2B overclocked to 120Hz refresh rate
    Audio-GD FUN DAC unit w/ AD797BRZ opamps
    Sennheiser PC350 headset w/ hero mod

Xtreme Addict
    I only install the service packs.
    Unless it's an update I specifically need I don't bother with them.

Xtreme Member
    I do install the updates. Why not do it?

Xtreme Addict
    wtf!

install sp1 and ALL the updates.... and live free...

Xtreme Addict
    I absolutely install all updates on a regular basis...

I don't know how it affects benchmarking performance, but if you have modern hardware and a legitimate copy of Windows, I see no reason not to install updates for compatibility and security reasons.

Whenever I install Windows for a friend, I pretty much never let them start using their PC again until I've ensured Windows is up to date on service packs, security updates, drivers, hotfixes, etc...

Xtreme Addict
    Sometimes updates effect system in negative way's,I only update if I have too,viruses pfftt just reinstall.
    zero it out partition it and then install os.

Quote Originally Posted by Hell Hound View Post
    Sometimes updates effect system in negative way's,I only update if I have too,viruses pfftt just reinstall.
    zero it out partition it and then install os.
    I'd rather avoid gaping security holes. Do you not run any AV software either?

I haven't had any need to reload Windows on my system since I got 7 when it came out. It takes too darn long to reinstall everything I have.

I see NO point in not installing updates. Just makes no sense
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

in regular basis on my benching OS i always install all the updates but since sp1 is out i only install this and then turn off the windows update, i think is no need for further updates, and from my test there's no impact at performance!! But in my 24/7 rig i always install ALL the available updates

Xtreme Member
    On my dedicated crunchers only SP1. On my desktop, depends on what is being offered. I look at all of them and decide which ones which ones I want.

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.

Xtreme Addict
    On my review test bench I install SP1 only for AVX. 24/7 machines I install em all other than the IE updates
    MB Reviewer for HWC
    Team OCX Bench Team

Install all updates, very rarely is a hotfix that is released for Global distribution in error, and if it is, its fixed and a new hotfix to replace it is released.

99% of the people don't know what the hell their PC is doing and if/when its infected vs. just screwed up do to user error. The remaining 80% of the 1%, can't over test a hotfix to the degree to know better on the ramifications of not installing it.

Now for the remaining 20% of that 1%; They're IT admins and they have to be a little cautious, but more its the down time if a reboot is required and those can only be done durring SLA scheduled times.

Also make sure you are getting application updates as well. Update Adobe Reader, flash, shockwave, JAVA on a regular bases. Anything that can run a script, can be used against you.

And use an AV with browser filtering; I went to read a power supply review just yesterday, and as I hit the website; I got a warking about a java exploit. I emailed the Admins of the site to take their website down, find the offecting virus/trojan and come back online.

By not taking their site down 1st, they just spread the virus to the hundreds or thousands accessing it while they investigate. They probably didn't but they did take the email seriously. That's a good thing.

R
    Now: Asus R4E with Intel i7 IB-E 4930K @ 4.4Ghz, Patriot 2x ( 2x8GB) 2133CL11 @ 2400 CL11-12-12-30-1T-1.64v
    Was: Sabertooth x79 and Intel i7 3930k @ 4.8Ghz, G.Skill 1866CL9 1.5v @ 2133 9-11-10-28-1t-1.64v
    Galaxy 470 (NVidia 750Mhz/1500Mhz/1730/1.062v)
    Corsair Fusion GT 256GB, Crucial C300 256GB SSD Sata III, Seagate 2TB Sata III, Seagate 3TB.
    Corsair H80 WC

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    I'd rather avoid gaping security holes. Do you not run any AV software either?

I haven't had any need to reload Windows on my system since I got 7 when it came out. It takes too darn long to reinstall everything I have.
    Slipstream baby!! You invest a couple hours into producing a slipstreamed OS disk that containes all your programs. After a little creatice batching you can have a 100% completely hands free install. Set your bios to boot from disk, pop in the disk, come back 45 minutes later and you at the desktop with ALL your progs installed and all but the very latest updates to deal with.

Who cares if you get a virus from DLing pron. Just pop in a disk and come back later. Its the only way to fly!
    Boy that info was old. As am I. Currently my kids have taken over my desktops. They are both sporting matching GTX1080's. Last Christmas I got everyone Oculuses and thus GTX1080's. My eldest is some sort of CSGO champion gold label something or other. Me I work and shoot real guns. Build Comps as needed.

Xtreme Addict
    I don't bother with the updates because there is no need for me to get them, I just wait for the next ver of windows or the next service pack.
    No issues here with viruses or anything of that matter.
    I don't even use a firewall or antivirus, no need for them at my house with any of my machines .
    I know this isn't the usual though.

I recommend updates for the avg user, even though it won't do them much good in terms of protections and it's likely to make a mess of there system in the long run.
    To be honest an avg user's system doesn't last long before they end up getting a virus anyways :\.
    I don't know...
    But I'de still recommend it along with an antivirus, and firewall or at least a router.

Anyways I'm serious I don't install any updates or use a firewall or antivirus on any of my machines, most kitty viruses don't run on machine even when ran on purpose so I usually don't have much probs with that stuff.
    Twice a year I check for virus'es just incase.

The only reason why you'de need such things is because ms puts a ton of security holes in it's os from the get go.
    If you get rid of the holes, it's not so much a prob anymore for the most part.