Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gaming in tight spaces - MAX11Lv3

Xtreme Mentor
    Hey,
    Did you get a chance to test the system before installing it? I am curious as to how well this board handles a 2600K and overclocking.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

World Champion - IRONMODS
    Very briefly....BIOS options are pretty limited. 4-4.5GHz looks doable with the BIOS it came with, but only just.
    Quote Originally Posted by Massman
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.
    [CENTER]The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Addict
    Re the suggestions you've received for the feet do you think clear solid plexi or glass would look OK ?, IMHO they would not detract from the rest of the build being see thru
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's

Yes, I think that would work very nicely...do you know where I can order some?
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Addict
    ^ Sorry no idea as to a supplier, do you know if plexi comes in bar form ???
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's

Not at the local stores If I could find some online who could ship here, that would be best.

I've been working on this beast all day....getting very close to finished I should have a nice update tomorrow

Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Member
    Would you mind if they were layered to achieve the thickness you want? Like clear 1/4" and black 1/8"?

That'd be kinda cool, as long as the edges were polished.

Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by miahallen View Post
    I should have a nice update tomorrow
    Ohhh goody, and once your finished could you please send this masterpiece to my place

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Plexi does come in a cylinder form. You could just take that and have it cut depending on the height you may need. I can get some locally, but I guess you have to look around and find it locally as well.

Well sorry guys, I was planning to post more pictures yesterday, but I got a bit discouraged. There is a small leak in the front end....I have not identified the exact source, but I'm thinking its the hose-to-barb seal on the lower rad connection....its dripping once a minute or so. The other problem I ran into is upon my 1st attempt to power on the system, nothing happened....nothing at all! The PSU was pre-tested, but I neglected to test it after I finished rewiring it....but looks like I'll have to break everything down again to locate the problem.

Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Mentor
    That sucks. Hopefully you can get this turned around quickly. Sorry to hear about the headaches, but you have done this enough to know just keep your chin up and fight threw it. Look forward to seeing some updates when you have them.

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

So, these are the pictures I neglected to post yesterday. Its late now, so I'll have to fill in descriptions tomorrow.

These are the brackets I made for the reservoir and the pump.

Reservoir mounted.

The bracket attaches to the case with the clips originally intended for the front fan filter.

The pump mounts to the back side of the bracket.

The SSD was screwed directly into the motherboard tray.

And I made some custom brackets to keep the HDD clinging onto the mounted SSD.

Like this:

I had to rewire this connector to power both drives...and I also tapped into the 12V and ground lines to power the optical drive, the LEDs on the bottom, and the pump.

Here's how it looks with the SSD & HDD mounted.

Added in the reservoir & pump bracket.

This is probably a better angle.

One more for good measure.

With the optical drive mounted, things fit fine except for the fill port...the SSD & HDD stuck out just a hair too far, so the fill port had to go. I'm going to mount a toggle switch there instead which will control the LEDs on the bottom, so they can be turned off when not wanted.

"Its almost hard to believe I got it all to fit!!!
    Leak testing commences!

Last edited by miahallen; 11-07-2011 at 05:11 AM.

Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm still amazed at how much awesome you're packing into that tiny case.
    i7 2600k, 8GB 1866Mhz DDR3, GTX560 Ti, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4, CM Cosmos 1000 Case, and some green crap everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    So you're saying I could use my own pee as coolant?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I luv the mod, and what you've managed to squeeze into the case.

The faux CF detracts from the effort though, why don't you ditch it? Will look much better without, as in earlier pictures....
    Never argue with Idiots...they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
    i-Prodigy (small APD2 GFX/CPU waterloop) ; HP Blackbird Project Log (dual-Xeon Watercooled) ; Macho Mini Project Log (Sandybridge watercooled mini-ITX)

I'm essentially using it to cover up the rough cuts.
    If I had access to a powder coater I wouldn't have used it. But I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Enthusiast
    No worries, a real good effort

How's the troubleshooting on the psu going?
    Never argue with Idiots...they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
    i-Prodigy (small APD2 GFX/CPU waterloop) ; HP Blackbird Project Log (dual-Xeon Watercooled) ; Macho Mini Project Log (Sandybridge watercooled mini-ITX)

So, I mentioned during my last update that this project had run into two major problems. A water leak of which I was unable to identify the source. And the PSU's failure to power up with the system installed.

I'm happy to to say that my friend Norbert and I have successfully worked through each of the problems (as well as a few more) and the system is now complete! Read on for the details

We started off with the arduous task of breaking the system down to get access to the PSU.

Next we probed each of the pins on the 24pin connector, and everything was spot on. However, as we re-assembled the rig piece by piece and testing after every single change. We found that the PSU fan would not spin when we closed up the PSU due to the wires which had been cut short earlier. So we shortened them a bit more.

I also grabbed an extra 12V, 5V, and ground line to run to the LEDs, the pump, and the optical drive. I had previously planned to tap those lines into the SATA connectors, but it ended up being a mess, so this would help clean up wiring a lot!

Then we reassembled to being leak testing again, so that we could hopefully identify the cause/source of the leak. It didn't take to long to figure out that the hose had been punctured somehow up near the lower rad line. And cutting off the last 15mm of that line solved the leak problem....Yeah!!!

Then, curiously...after getting everything put back together, we found the PSU refused to run again which really got us scratching out heads. It took quite a bit of time and before we probed the PCIe connectors and found that I had swapped one of the 12V with one of the ground lines :-/ uggg....luckily we swapped them around and everything was happy once again. Nothing dead, phew!

This is what the layout looks like prior to putting in the optical drive tray....it's a really tight squeeze!

So, we finally had the rig running properly and started getting things set up correctly in the OS.....oh crap, I spoke too soon, the last thing I wanted to see at this point was poor temps....but the GPU was idling at 70C at stock speeds

So, once again we broke the system down enough to get a wrench in there and found the GPU block bolts were way too loose (how could I have missed this earlier, eeerrrr). Anyhow, I tightened up the bolts, and got back into Windows....yeah! GPU now idling at 30C....much better

The CPU now idles just above ambient and the GPU at about 8C above ambient. I'm not very impressed with this motherboard's overclocking abilities. It allows for Turbo mode overclocking only. So right now I have it set to Turbo up to 4.3GHz, but with a full load it drops back to 3.4GHz and even still throttles a bit down to 1600MHz to protect the VRM (I suppose). Oh well, hopefully the BIOS will improve in the future. I tested with v1.1 and v1.2. The CPU load temps are in the upper 50s and lower 60s.

The GPU was overclocked to a modest 900/1050, the GPU only needed 1075mV to get there, and the load temp equalizes in the low 60s after 20 minutes of Furmark burn in testing. Very good!

Unfortunately, Norbert is being relocated right now, so time to test the system was cut short. But I'm hoping he can run a few benchmarks for me so I can give you a better idea of the performance potential. Until then, I'll leave you with some final pictures of the rig

Thanks again for everyone's comments and criticisms...until next time

Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Mentor
    Glad to hear you figured out the issues. Even if the CPU doesn't overclock I am sure it will still play games just fine. Looks awesome by the way. What is noise like? Quiet or loud?

Desk Build

W/C System

I am Xtreme
    the fans are quiet but the looks ummm

Quote Originally Posted by Utnorris View Post
    Glad to hear you figured out the issues. Even if the CPU doesn't overclock I am sure it will still play games just fine. Looks awesome by the way. What is noise like? Quiet or loud?
    Very quiet. The two fans and the pump are all on speed control. So it's a whisper at idle, and a not bad at full tilt

Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    the fans are quiet but the looks ummm
    I'm guessing you're most opposed to the feet? Norbert plans to replace them when he finds something better. It was simply a lack of options at the moment.

Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Cruncher
    Heh, saw this build mentioned at [H]ard|OCP, and when I saw miahallen I figured it had to be the XS miahallen.

Packing all this power into these tiny spaces makes me think you might've been a watchmaker in a previous life...

Incredible!

EDIT: I really like the looks (and the feet, for that matter). Kinda brings to mind a short, squat, TOUGH dog - ala

DON'T WITH ME!
    Last edited by SMTB1963; 11-24-2011 at 10:08 AM.

Nullspace
    This is a fantastic build... and i'm sure it'll inspire more 'awesome in a tiny tin can' attempts.

John

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123