Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gaming in tight spaces - MAX11Lv3

World Champion - IRONMODS

Gaming in tight spaces - MAX11Lv3 ***COMPLETE! (11/11/11)***

*** Pictures of the completed project here ***

[Blog] Gaming in Tight Spaces…..mini-ITX (featuring Gigabyte, Silverstone, and Prolimatech)
    About a year ago, I started a project I dubbed "Gaming in Tight Spaces", where I set about building a powerful gaming rig on a minimal budget based on the mini-ITX platform. The system was a huge success, and the feedback I recived was very positive, apparently lots of users were interested in downsizing their system's physical footprint, without sacrificing power.

Gaming in Tight Spaces v2.0 – MAX11L (featuring Corsair and Gigabyte)
    A few months later, I found that the first version, while nice, wasn't extreme enough to satisfiy my developing vision for the project. So I started a major rebuild, where I really pushed the system to a new level of performance with a quad core CPU and GTX 480 graphics card with MAX11L.

The term MAX11L refers to my goal of cramming as much stuff as possible into 11 liters in volume. The SG05 case used in the projects is 10.78L. But I ran into a major hurdle with the 2nd version, the GTX 480 needed too much power, and the Silverstone ST450SF 450W PSU was not up to the task (which many of you warned me about). Not only that, but I found the 300W stock PSU was a better quality unit, capable of driving the system even better with the HD 5870 graphics card installed. However, without a full size PSU, it didn't seem there was a way to effectively run a power hungery card like the 480.

But the wheels didn't stop turning, and I've retained my desire to push the concept to the real extremes, which brings us to today.

MAX11Lv3

I really wanted to get two things done in the same space as before, I wanted to be able to use a high power graphics card, and I wanted to water cool the CPU & GPU. This means that the most difficult part of this build will be making everything fit, and it will require a lot of modding/fabrication.

However, I did not have the funding availible to complete the project, and if this was going to happen, I needed assistance.

So, I'm very pleased to announce that Silverstone liked my work on round 1 and 2, and have agreed to supply another case for the project, thanks Silverstone

But, that wasn't enough. So when a friend of mine asked if I would build him a small gaming machine, I asked if he would be interested in sponsoring this build which would be his when we finish. He agreed with one condition...that he be involved in the build process. How could I refuse? Besides building modding, and overclocking, I also really enjoy sharing my passion for computers with others. So Norbert and I will be working on this project together.

Here is the parts list:

Water cooling parts:

And here is a gallery of the components before we get started.
    The SG06 broken down.

The ASRock Z68 motherboard.

The Intel Core i7 CPU

Corsair Vengence LP memory.

The Nexus NX-6000 PSU, this PSU was selected due to its non-standard 125mm depth. Most ATX PSUs at 150mm or longer.

The PNY GTX 580.

The Intel 160GB X25M SSD.

The LITE-ON optical drive.

The Scythe fans.

The Bitfenix sleeved cables.

The Magicool Pro Slim radiator.

The Swiftech CPU water block.

The Swiftech pump.

The Tecnofront Nano reservior.

The Bitspower GPU waterblock.

The Bitspower fittings, CoolIT tubing, and Koolance clamps.

Last edited by miahallen; 11-11-2011 at 08:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Massman
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.
    [CENTER]The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

I knew right away that making all of these components fit into the SG05/06 chassis was not going to be easy. In fact, in the default layout, I think it'd basically be impossible. So I knew we'd have to get creative.

I started by unriviting the top braces from the chassis.

They are important for structural rigidity, but they were the wrong shape to accomidate the 90 degree layout desired without heavy modification. So I decided I would make the motherboard tray & radiator mounts double at replacements for these removed braces.

Using 3mm thick black acrylic, we cut it down to size.

Then using an acrylic bending rig, we heated up the plates at either end...

Then bent up each end.

Measures up perfectly to the cross braces I removed earlier.

Next we tapped holes to mount the motherboard on one side.

Obviously, the stock rear panel isn't going to work either. So we cut it out.

Here is the result.

At this point, both new side panels have been cut, the opposite side will be used to mount the radiator. Both panels will be attached to the chassis with the original mounting points, although we have not decided whether to rivet or screw them in (any opinions?).

We have a guy from OCN lazer cutting some acrylic to replace the rear panel at this time.
    Much, much more to come, stay tuned
    Last edited by miahallen; 10-03-2011 at 02:33 PM.
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Mentor
    Your builds rock. I am taking a note from you and modding a desk to fit my MB and water cooling inside it. A great way to keep the kids from messing with it. Anyway, love this build already, I imagine it will be epic.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Thanks Utnorris...I don't focus on the bling as much as many of the other guys around here...I don't have the skills to do a super pretty rig. But what my mods lack in bling, I try to make up for in performance & practicality

Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Addict
    Love it, can't wait to see where that 580 fits!

-PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

Xtreme Guru
    580 is not as big of a challenge as 5970 might have been

Xtreme Member
    Awesome ideas you have there. SFF is the future, too bad I can't realize/accept it yet, still planning of building a monster case. Good luck!
    Last edited by fr0wn3r; 10-02-2011 at 04:07 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Loving the idea to flip the motherboard onto the side. I will probably try to return to ITX some day but for now matx is much easier.

Can't wait to see how this turns out.
    Gaming Setup
    Intel X3440
    Gigabyte H55n USB3
    2x4gb Mushkin 996999
    EVGA GTX 580
    Silverstone Sugo SG-05
    Corsair H60 w/ Push/Pull AP15s
    Seasonic SS-560KM 560w

OVERCLOCKAHOLICS
    This is awesome Mia! Looking forward to this build.

barfastic
    wow.... looks very promising!

cant wait to see what else you have in store for us!

Xtreme Member
    I love ITX builds!

Subscribed.

Xtreme Addict
    Now this is gonna be good
    Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.28v | MSI p67a-gd65 B3 Mobo | Samsung ddr3 8gb |
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump

Today we mounted the GPU water block. The BitsPower block is very unique, it has its in/output situated on the edge (instead of the faces) of the block.

Next we traced and cut a water block template...

...and applied that to the bottom of the case.

Then Mr Dremel got busy.

Notched the front panel as well to allow for the extra 3-4mm of clearance needed for this GPU.

We also cut out the rear panel for the I/O area, but I missed taking an after shot of it.

Next we took the opposite side plexi wall and cut it up for the radiator mounting.

Mounted up and ready to go in.

I also drilled holes and tapped the plexi trays to allow them to mount as stressed members in the case. So they will become part of the chassis for rigidity.

That's it for now, over the next week, I'm hoping to fined enough time to rewire the PSU and replace its fan, then I can move onto putting everything together.

Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Member
    way to take it to another level. subbin this one for sure

I swapped fans in the PSU

And rewired the PSU...

...with custom length cables.

Then mounted the fans & PSU cover to the radiator.

Then attempted to test fit all the major components...

The only issue with the first test fit was an edge I need to cut a bit further on marked here.

That's it for today

Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Member
    Are those Bitfenix cables or did you sleeve them yourself, and how did you do the 24pin without shrink?

Yes, they are BitFenix cables. I just cut them short and modded them into the PSU
    I really like the heat-shrinkless look

Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Addict
    Is the 24-pin a little loose on the motherboard?
    Signatures make my posts look huge... but I'm not humble enough to completely remove my signature, so I kept this note explaining it.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by miahallen View Post
    Yes, they are BitFenix cables. I just cut them short and modded them into the PSU
    I really like the heat-shrinkless look
    Then youll love the way i do it

Quote Originally Posted by ScottALot View Post
    Is the 24-pin a little loose on the motherboard?
    Yes, it was just a test fitting

Heat Team IRONMODS

Very ingenious using the PSU as part of the radiator cooling. I never would have thought of that.

Still, I can't help but wonder how a 2x120 radiator will be enough cooling power, and also if the heat coming off the radiator may drive the PSU temps up too high.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

I am Xtreme
    no otp on the psu, but i doubt you play 6hrs gaming lol

nice build jemiah

Amazing build, Mia. I love your Mini-ITX builds!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Very ingenious using the PSU as part of the radiator cooling. I never would have thought of that.

Still, I can't help but wonder how a 2x120 radiator will be enough cooling power, and also if the heat coming off the radiator may drive the PSU temps up too high.
    If you have any ideas how I can fit a bigger one in there, I'm all ears

Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Addict
    HOLY BEJUBUS!!!

AMAZING!!! *fan girl mode enabled*
    PROJECT :: The Xtreme (WET) Dream!!!

PERSONAL H2O BESTS :
    E8600 @ 4.8GHz
    E6750 @ 4GHz QX9650 @ 4.6GHz
    i7 920 @ 4.6GHz

PERSONAL AIR BESTS :
    Sempron140 @ 4Ghz (Stock Cooler)
    i7 3960x @ 5.4ghz (Air Cooler)

Bex : "Who said girls can't play PC games or overclock!? Do I look like your imagination!?"
    Aaron : "TBH, a girl doing all that is a pretty perfect girl!"
    Swift_Wraith : "could someone please check bex for a penis?"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast