Thread: Bathroom PC

(o.O)

Bathroom PC

So I'm sick and tired of listening to talk radio all the time in the morning when I get ready for work. I'd really love to be able to listen to shoutcast or pandora instead of 95% commercial/talk but I'm worried about the conditions of a bathroom if I put a PC in there with the steam and heat and what not.

Question 1: I have a walk in closet in the bathroom so I could put the PC in the far corner of it and just wire up some speakers through the wall to the rest of the bathroom, but do I need to be careful what type of speakers/wire I get?
    Question 2: Does anything exist already to do this for me without building my own?
    Question 3: Are there water proof battery remotes that can control the radio functions?
    Question 4: Recommended parts for such a build? Is it possible to go headless and manage from another pc in the house to keep the build cost down?

TYIA
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Yorkfield @ 3.2GHz | Asus P5Q Deluxe mobo | 2x OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) | Sapphire 4870x2 | Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB 10k RPM | Intel 120GB SSD | Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB 7200 RPM | Hitachi 2TB 7200 RPM | PCP&C 750W Power Supply |Cooler Master HAF932 | Windows 7 64-bit | Dell ULTRASHARP 2408WFP 24-inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor

Join Us in the XS World Community Grid Forum & Help Fight Cancer and Other Diseases

u could get a pandora device or one of the android players from samsung or archose, that would be the easiest IMO. u could also get one of the mini pcs with an ion or e350
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Question 1: I have a walk in closet in the bathroom so I could put the PC in the far corner of it and just wire up some speakers through the wall to the rest of the bathroom, but do I need to be careful what type of speakers/wire I get?
    Question 2: Does anything exist already to do this for me without building my own?
    Question 3: Are there water proof battery remotes that can control the radio functions?
    Question 4: Recommended parts for such a build? Is it possible to go headless and manage from another pc in the house to keep the build cost down?
    Honestly, I can't really answer questions 1, 2, or 3, but assuming the box has a connection to your home's network (I obviously imagine it will), you can install a VNC server on the box, and manage it from another computer. It's easy once you get it all set up. You can configure the VNC server to start on boot, so if you need to reboot you can even do it from another computer (I did this on an old Windows Server 2003 box I had).

Xtreme Member
    Interesting project!

I think you should consider buying a cheap netbook + a SSD & then install lightweigt Linux distribution. This way you will get a system that is fast enough for yourt needs and relatively resistant to heat & humidity, but if the system should die after some time you will not have lost much money.
    You will be able to manage the OS & audio streaming remotely (either using a GUI or command line) + a remote control, game pad or keyboard to control the audio software.

(o.O)
    Thanks for the ideas guys... I'll price some options out and see what makes the most sense.
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Yorkfield @ 3.2GHz | Asus P5Q Deluxe mobo | 2x OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) | Sapphire 4870x2 | Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB 10k RPM | Intel 120GB SSD | Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB 7200 RPM | Hitachi 2TB 7200 RPM | PCP&C 750W Power Supply |Cooler Master HAF932 | Windows 7 64-bit | Dell ULTRASHARP 2408WFP 24-inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor

Join Us in the XS World Community Grid Forum & Help Fight Cancer and Other Diseases

Copenhagen, teh capital village of the World. Hillerød, Malmö
    When I lived in Sweden, I used to take my ikea laptop table in to the bathroom and place it next to the hot tub, and spend an hour listening to music and chatting with my Asus Eee pc 1000H ^^ I miss my Asus...
    *Gape & Ponder*

(\_/) This is Bunny.
    (+.+) Bunny is dead.
    (^ ^) Copy and paste Bunny into your sig to create an army of BUNNY ZOMBIE MINIONS!!!

Xtremely Hot Sauce
    #1: Optimally, you'd have the computer and speaker amp left outside of the bathroom. You need to use outdoor speakers. Standard copper biwire is fine for cables. You'll need a receiver and an IR bauble for the remote. Perhaps an additional blaster if you're feeling adventurous. It won't be that easy but you can jury-rig it (and keep the expensive electronics out of the bathroom). Alternatively, some amps have IR-in ports. I personally don't know how to make them work.

#2: Unknown. I'm sure there are solutions but finding waterproof/resistant components would be tough.

#3: Perhaps you could rig together your own solution. Find a remote with those flat buttons (I believe Antec makes one; the buttons are just domes on the face)

#4: AMD E-350 or Atom 525 with 2GB RAM. You could do headless. I'd recommend that, if you're playing your own library, to store that media elsewhere. As for chassis, honestly, just about anything will work.

If your closet stays reasonably dry while you shower, it should be a-okay for usage. The alternative is a Logitech Squeezebox or similar--would probably be cheaper too. http://www.logitech.com/en-us/speake...s/devices/5847

Those things are pretty slick too. Then for $300 is a Squeezebox Touch.
    Last edited by Bobsama; 09-30-2011 at 12:44 PM.

My toys:
    Asus Sabertooth X58 | Core i7-950 (D0) | CM Hyper 212+ | G.Skill Sniper LV 12GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | GeForce GTX 670-2048MB | OCZ Agility 4 512GB, WD Raptor 150GB x 3 (RAID0), WD Black 1TB x 2 (RAID0) | XFX 650W CAH9 | Lian-Li PC-9F | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R | Core i7-920 (D0) | Stock HSF | G.Skill Sniper LV 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512MB | WD Caviar 80GB IDE, 4TB x 2 (RAID5) | Corsair TX750 | XClio 188AF | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Dell Dimension 8400 | Pentium 4 530 HT (E0) | Stock HSF | 1.5GB DDR2-400 CL3 | GeForce 8800 GT 256MB | WD Caviar 160GB SATA | Stock PSU | (Broken) Stock Case | Win Vista HP x86
    Little Dot DAC_I | Little Dot MK IV | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) | TEAC AG-H300 MkIII | Polk Audio Monitor 5 Series 2's

Xtreme Addict
    I have a Logitech Squeezebox Radio in my bathroom. They're about $100 and stream everything over my wireless network. I listen to Pandora almost exclusively now on that. Much better than putting in a whole pc, in my experience and opinion.

Xtreme Addict
    do you have a smartphone? just hook that into some speakers.
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    just start taking pics of peoples kids the parents will come talk to you shortly. if you have a big creepy van it works faster

Xtreme Member
    A cheaper solution (if just listening to music/radio) would be to get a tablet or just an mp3 player that is waterproof I would imagine.