Thread: Weve produced 190% alcohol

Xtreme Addict

Weve produced 190% alcohol

Oky Ive been messing as i normally do... So will 190% Proof alcohol be oky to use with dry ice.

Ive got my own 25 Ltr distiller and this is what we produced on the first test run, After 3 Distils we got it to 190%.

Next will be to get some equipment to get it all sorted and get some dry ice as well.

Ive stored away 5 Ltrs in None Leaching Ali bottles with safety valves for future use. The rest got watered down and handed out to mates at 100%.
    Last edited by mlwood37; 09-25-2011 at 05:35 PM.
    Mayhems Lastest News -> https://www.facebook.com/Mayhems2009

If you need to direct contact me its michael at mayhems dot co dot uk.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Keep in mind 200 "Proof" is 100%

190 Proof is 95% Alcohol, This can be readily acquired in the form of Everclear as long as you are over the age of 21 in the good ole USA.

I imagine with some work you can distil 100%
    "If It Doesn't Overclock Its Broken"
    "NexGen Overclocking"
    "Overclocking, its a life style"

Xtreme Addict
    Yeh we can but means another run all so in the UK we cannot buy this stuff and tbh i think its illegal how ever its not for drinking just for trying dry ice cooling. I think i posted here before i would like to try it out and this is my first attempt at doing it.

I might put that 5 Ltrs i have set aside though one more time see if we can hit 200% (100% real value). Im quite happy we got it this high on the first run TBH (in fact im buzzing). Mind you this stuff is bloody dangerous.

The only problem is its cost us £35.00 just to create 5 ltrs at 95% real wich is not that cheap. Mind you after drinking it as a tester t 5ml its a bit mental.
    Mayhems Lastest News -> https://www.facebook.com/Mayhems2009

If you need to direct contact me its michael at mayhems dot co dot uk.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by V2-V3 View Post
    Keep in mind 200 "Proof" is 100%

190 Proof is 95% Alcohol, This can be readily acquired in the form of Everclear as long as you are over the age of 21 in the good ole USA.

I imagine with some work you can distil 100%
    Can't get any of that in California
    I looked around for some when running the Phantom in Dual Clear wall config.

You will be fine using Everclear with DICE. It will/should not freeze solid

Wood alcohol (methanol)
    freezes at -97.8° C (-144.0° F)
    boils at 64.7° C (148.5°F)

Grain alcohol (ethanol)
    freezes at -114.1° C (-173.4° F) -- Everclear Alcohol? Something 180+ Proof
    boils at 78.5° C (173.3° F)

Liquors:
    24 proof liquor freezes at -6.7°C (20°F)
    64 proof liquor freezes at -23.33°C (-10°F)
    84 proof liquor freezes at -34.44°C (-30°F)

Isopropyl Alcohol
    90% isopropyl freezes around -90.0°C
    Last edited by Buckeye; 09-26-2011 at 08:12 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Acetone is cheap easy to get and it's freezing point is -78c.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by NoGuru View Post
    Acetone is cheap easy to get and it's freezing point is -78c.
    just don't spill any on the motherboard

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" - (Einstein)

Xtreme Member
    Acetone has been the most commonly used interface liquid, I've seen so far when using DIce. The freezing point is below the sublimation temp of DIce, so it's never been an issue. The smell is a little harsh at room-temp, but when at benching temps there is actually zero evaporation (thus giving no smell). As for getting it on the motherboard, acetone is very corrosive, but it's not difficult to get it in the pot instead of on the board.

Xtreme Member
    Acetone also has the best properties for dry ice

if i remember right the best transmission qualities
    little German

I always use 190 proof Everclear (95% ethyl alcohol + 5% water + 0% anything else) as my interface when doing dry ice. It works well. Note that there is a 151 proof version that is sold in some markets where the regular stuff is outlawed and it is best avoided. I've never been left with so much as slush. Any other brand of the same thing should work fine so long as it isn't flavored.

Some benefits of ethyl alcohol over others:
    1) It's only nominally toxic...you can drink it in small amounts as humans have done for ages.
    2) It's relatively inexpensive and readily available.
    3) There are no fumes to speak of when cold and when warm the fumes don't smell as bad as ketone fumes do (acetone).
    4) It won't dissolve plastic or epoxy (PCBs, mounting rings, foam insulation, etc).

Note that rubbing/isopropyl alcohol isn't the same thing. It will start to gel at DI temps. Methyl alcohol is best avoided as it's extremely toxic to humans. Denatured alcohol should also be avoided. It's typically isopropyl (gels/freezes) that has been methylated (toxic).
    Last edited by Particle; 10-22-2011 at 09:19 AM.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    I always use 190 proof Everclear (95% ethyl alcohol + 5% water + 0% anything else) as my interface when doing dry ice. It works well. Note that there is a 151 proof version that is sold in some markets where the regular stuff is outlawed and it is best avoided. I've never been left with so much as slush. Any other brand of the same thing should work fine so long as it isn't flavored.

Some benefits of ethyl alcohol over others:
    1) It's only nominally toxic...you can drink it in small amounts as humans have done for ages.
    2) It's relatively inexpensive and readily available.
    3) There are no fumes to speak of when cold and when warm the fumes don't smell as bad as ketone fumes do (acetone).
    4) It won't dissolve plastic or epoxy (PCBs, mounting rings, foam insulation, etc).

Note that rubbing/isopropyl alcohol isn't the same thing. It will start to gel at DI temps. Methyl alcohol is best avoided as it's extremely toxic to humans. Denatured alcohol should also be avoided. It's typically isopropyl (gels/freezes) that has been methylated (toxic).
    I would like to add that denatured alcohol (Klean Strip) works completely fine.
    It doesn't gel and remains a liquid at DI temps. There were no fumes at DI temps however at room temperature yes.
    http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdf...ruik|100139444

It is roughly 50% ethyl and methyl each, so yes it is extremely toxic to humans. Ketone is used in a small quantity. (~5%)

However it works well in the pot.
    Smile

To be clear, "denatured" just means it has had something added to it to keep it from being consumed. It can be any type of alcohol. The stuff you're using sounds like the common solvent "MEK", not denatured alcohol. It's odd they'd sell it labeled as such. As for ketones, that's the class of chemical acetone is. If you buy a can of hardware store acetone, it's nearly 100% acetone and thus nearly 100% ketone.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    To be clear, "denatured" just means it has had something added to it to keep it from being consumed. It can be any type of alcohol. The stuff you're using sounds like the common solvent "MEK", not denatured alcohol. It's odd they'd sell it labeled as such. As for ketones, that's the class of chemical acetone is. If you buy a can of hardware store acetone, it's nearly 100% acetone and thus nearly 100% ketone.

I always use this when I do d.ice. its cheap as hell and doesnt make you sick like acetone. It might be hard to get on the west coast but if you are in the eastcoast. NY, NJ. ETC. this is the best bang for the buck. For 15 bux you will be allset for a session. your dice will be cashed before the vodka. 160 proof. always make sure you add more dice than vodka. You basically want a slushy. take a long knife or something rigid and always stir occasionally. what happens is the dice will freeze over your container and clog the holes on your container so you want to break up the ice on the boiling holes so the vodka can get to it. I average around -70c with this combo.
    http://www.drinkupny.com/Devils_Spri...ka_p/s0525.htm
    Last edited by trans am; 10-31-2011 at 06:18 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Can't you get this ?

I don't know how much it costs but less then 2€ for a 250ml bottle. It's 96% V/V ethanol ( there are some brands that go as far as 98% V/V ). You can get it from every supermarket, pharmacy, wtv store here in Portugal.