Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New XSPC waterblock, The RAYSTORM!

i like the led on the outline, the internal look nice, oh and mounting is easy a hell.
    Don't ever think you have the best rig, there's always better.

Xtreme Member
    Looks nice, but more interested in performance data. Anyway, nice job XSPC!

Admin
    Some observations and measurements: base is 3mm thick and seems to have ~2.5mm deep channels, which is a nice bump from the <=2mm thick bases of the CPU-370 and HK3.0 (and I think Supreme HF, too). The injection plate has a ~2.9mm wide slit, which is much wider than I would have expected (CPU-360 has 2.0mm, CPU-370 has 1.5mm, Supreme HF has 2x1.1mm, HK3.0 has an array of rectangles). Wouldn't be surprised if this were the lowest restriction microchannel block yet.

Mounting plate is ~7.75mm thick acrylic with a metal inlay so it should be hard to deform or break the mounting plate with the included mounting system (same as the Rasa). There's no protruding screws or side-machining like there is with the Rasa and the block fit/finish/feel is overall slick via simplicity.

The included K2 thermal paste has a PK1-like consistency (usually a good thing) but I have no idea how it performs. K2 testing will be done mid-October, Raystorm testing (typical performance, flow vs. temperature, contact quality [TIM dependence], and mounting consistency) will be done well before that.

Xtreme Addict
    Is mounting done via bottoming out screws a la Swiftech XT?
    -

"Language cuts the grooves in which our thoughts must move" | Frank Herbert, The Santaroga Barrier
    2600K | GTX 580 SLI | Asus MIV Gene-Z | 16GB @ 1600 | Silverstone Strider 1200W Gold | Crucial C300 64 | Crucial M4 64 | Intel X25-M 160 G2 | OCZ Vertex 60 | Hitachi 2TB | WD 320

Admin
    Sort of. It's a two-stage tightening process.

First, make sure the mid-screw thumbnut is tightened all the way to the top of the main thumbscrew then bottom out the main thumbscrew to the backplate and you get almost zero pressure but the screws are locked into the backplate. Then you tighten the mid-screw thumbnut to apply pressure, but there's no stops or guides, just go by feel.

Xtreme Member
    Assuming this comes in around the same price as the rasa, I'll order one just for kicks.. I need something with a bit less restriction.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Preview with some pictures for now..
    http://martinsliquidlab.org/2011/09/...block-preview/

Last edited by Martinm210; 09-24-2011 at 05:46 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    I like the simplicity and the mounting seems to be somewhat easy based on the comments and pics. However, why do manufactures not include back plates to replace the Intel/AMD back plate? This way the back plate would sit flush with the MB. Something like what EK does for the SB socket.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Cheers!...got the easy part down, now for the painfully slow thermal work...

Xtreme Addict
    Looking forward to it, Matin.

@Vapor - so as for mounting, it's still possible to get uneven mounts by not tightening the mid-screw nuts equally across all 4 points?

Not quite as failsafe, but interesting implementation.
    -

"Language cuts the grooves in which our thoughts must move" | Frank Herbert, The Santaroga Barrier
    2600K | GTX 580 SLI | Asus MIV Gene-Z | 16GB @ 1600 | Silverstone Strider 1200W Gold | Crucial C300 64 | Crucial M4 64 | Intel X25-M 160 G2 | OCZ Vertex 60 | Hitachi 2TB | WD 320

I am Xtreme
    Wo. Really liking the lack of restriction. This is shaping up to one one fantastic block.
    Last edited by lowfat; 09-24-2011 at 03:53 PM.

I think im just seeing my new cpu block :P

Xtreme Member
    Nice.

Can't wait to see the thermals, hope they're good.

Ω
    Since my EK Supreme HF took a dump on itself and started to corrode I think this block will be its replacement!
    Ω Raven Build Blog

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
    " Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges" - In times of war, the law falls silent.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Wow...

Xtreme Member
    Can't wait to the thermal results it looks soo great!

Xtreme Member
    As I said before where can I order one?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by avddreamr View Post
    As I said before where can I order one?
    I don't think it's been shipped yet. XSPC isn't shipping orders until the 3rd of october from what I can tell. When it does arrive, I will let you know

I would be curious how it stacks up temp-wise compared to my trusty but now ancient Dtek Fuzion v1 Speaking of which, I'm kind of surprised that Dtek hasn't done anything more, it is like they make a good couple of waterblocks, then disappeared

The bling may be a bit much on that block, I don't know. Maybe? Eh, it would probably look better with green LEDs
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Too bad that there is not available a nickel plated version.
    I wonder why they don't make the jetplate wider - forcing water to flow longer through the fins.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xspcraystorm01.PNG 
Views:	1296 
Size:	149.2 KB 
ID:	120528

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pokazene_maslo View Post
    I wonder why they don't make the jetplate wider - forcing water to flow longer through the fins.

Because it add's restriction and the the big channel in the top (the one that guide's the flow to the out) will be smaller. I think that if you force to much the flow through the fins, then you won't get a better performance, i think you will be getting a worst performance becasue the waterblock is too restrictive and they (the waterblock) need to be optimized for the standard waterpump from the market.

Don't know exactly but i think that it's something near that.

Well logically, the water flows through the gap in center of the jet-plate into the fins. On sides water is flowing out of the fins. But on sides there is much bigger gap between jet-plate end and sides of the top. IMHO that gap is too big as it doesn't need to be much bigger than in center of the jet-plate.

It would be nice to test the performance with a custom made wider jet-plate.

Ω
    Quote Originally Posted by pokazene_maslo View Post

I'm sure if it's really that much of an issue, people will start to manufacture their own jet plates that are wider, it doesn't seem all too difficult.
    Ω Raven Build Blog

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
    " Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges" - In times of war, the law falls silent.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    Wow...
    Is this some sort of teaser or something. Either way I don't like it.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Seeing roughly a 1.5-2C improvement over the Rasa with the wrong orientation in the little testing I have done so far, but I still have a bunch more to do before having anything solid to share. Is that better..

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast