Thread: Putting a loop together from old parts

Xtreme Addict

Putting a loop together from old parts

I'm looking to liquify this old setup I've been running for a while now, not really in the financial situation for a full upgrade, plus I'm going to upgrade once I'm done with school.
    Onto the setup, now I know this isn't the best setup like I've seen on here, but it's hopefully not the worse
    I'm just looking for any tips I can get to optimize it as best I can.
    My main concern is that it's EXTREMELY restrictive, lol would I need another pump?
    SETUP
    OCZ Hydroflow http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-hyd...block-eol.html
    (2) Maze 4 GPU blocks
    Koolance CU1020V http://www.koolance.com/water-coolin...product_id=815
    MCP650 (Corsair label on it) can't find many reviews on this pump.
    I plan on using GT 1850 fans on the rad.

I don't plan on running a reservoir unless I have to, otherwise I'll throw in a T line and call it a day.
    Once again, any suggestions/advice would be appreciated
    Last edited by eBoy0; 09-18-2011 at 02:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nn_step
    Well CPUs are like women they all like things specific ways for them.. Some love 8x and others Love 9x or 7x.. they all just have their G-Spot and you have to learn to use it..
    Quote Originally Posted by nn_step View Post
    He should have given up his nuts too. Since clearly anyone that wants any Apple product that bad, Should NOT ever breed.
    q6600 @ 2.6
    EVGA 680i
    OCZ fatal1ty ddr2 800
    8800gt SLI
    watercooled

Xtreme Guru
    Judging by name imho there is big chance for MCP650 to be something like swiftech MCP650 / Laing D4, IIRC similar to D5, but louder. 30FPI of Koolance rad also cries for powerful fans to cool well = not quiet (so imho you should think of putting fans in push-pull on it to cool better but at a bit lower rpm-s). Well, but then again your HW is not exactly top one in terms of heat generation, so maybe will do.

Xtreme Addict
    Thanks churchy, I plan on running 3 1850 RPM GT fans, those should be decent? Also, I found my second Maze 4 GPU block, so I'll be running SLI maze 4 aswell.
    Well CPUs are like women they all like things specific ways for them.. Some love 8x and others Love 9x or 7x.. they all just have their G-Spot and you have to learn to use it..
    He should have given up his nuts too. Since clearly anyone that wants any Apple product that bad, Should NOT ever breed.
    q6600 @ 2.6
    EVGA 680i
    OCZ fatal1ty ddr2 800
    8800gt SLI
    watercooled

Xtreme Guru
    GTs are very decent fans, well, actually best fans currently available imho.
    Just that in my book no fan can be called quiet >1100rpm, including best ones, but high FPI rads like this 30 FPI one, are very resistive to airflow, thus less effective at cooling then more normal rads at speed range below 1400. Adding another extra 3 fans on 2nd side of rad for push-pull setup adds up their pressure, helping blowing through such rads even at slower speeds, or you may see 20-30% extra cooling from same rad at same speed.

I am Xtreme-ly Unemployed
    Quote Originally Posted by eBoy0 View Post
    MCP650 (Corsair label on it) can't find many reviews on this pump.
    Blue housing MCP650s with Corsair labels are Laing D4s which were purchased by Corsair from Swiftech (Swiftech, obviously, bought them from Laing). I bought a bunch of them from Corsair and resold them back in 2008 (when I still ran PTS).

Here's a quick performance comparison that I did between those D4s and a D5 Basic (MCP655-B): http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ead.php?209237
    I'm doing science and I'm still alive...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Petra View Post
    Blue housing MCP650s with Corsair labels are Laing D4s which were purchased by Corsair from Swiftech (Swiftech, obviously, bought them from Laing). I bought a bunch of them from Corsair and resold them back in 2008 (when I still ran PTS).

Here's a quick performance comparison that I did between those D4s and a D5 Basic (MCP655-B): http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ead.php?209237
    Ahhh yes, and I must thank you for those, at 30$ bucks a pop I think they were going for at the time too? My only regret was not ordering more...
    Big step up from what I was using at the time, Mag5s I believe, lol..
    q6600 @ 2.6
    EVGA 680i
    OCZ fatal1ty ddr2 800
    8800gt SLI
    watercooled

Xtreme Addict
    Ok, decided to take this in a slightly different direction, mainly due to the graphic cards being such a pain in the ass to find full cover blocks for.
    I plan on starting a worklog as parts trickle in.
    Quick question, what would be a good 240mm rad for roughly 50$? I plan on throwing in the 240 and 360 into the stacker
    q6600 @ 2.6
    EVGA 680i
    OCZ fatal1ty ddr2 800
    8800gt SLI
    watercooled

I am Xtreme
    Quick question, what would be a good 240mm rad for roughly 50$? I plan on throwing in the 240 and 360 into the stacker
    Can't go wrong with this one.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...oducts_id=3653
    Last edited by Waterlogged; 09-27-2011 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Changed text color to black because someone is too lazy to fix the forum defaults.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    Much appreciated for the advice, I've been doing ALOT of reading over the last week, thought a lot of the information is a little dated, which is why I ask.
    One last bit of advice needed The pump situation.
    I currently own a D4 pump, which per petra's comparison in the above link, is in par with the (older?) D5. And according to this thread I dug up, http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...gh-for-2-rads&
    A D5 should be able to handle 2 rads, so I'm hoping a D4 can do the same?
    Would the D4 be able to handle a: hydroflow, 2 Maze4 gpu blocks, koolance CU1020V, Swiftech MCR220, and a res?
    Or should I go the route with more headroom, being 2 DDC-1 pumps with Alphacool tops in serial?
    Any advice is appreciated
    q6600 @ 2.6
    EVGA 680i
    OCZ fatal1ty ddr2 800
    8800gt SLI
    watercooled

I am Xtreme
    Hydroflow and Maze blocks are really low restriction blocks. The MCR is also pretty low restriction as well...the Koolance rad however, is a slightly modified version of a rad I absolutely detest (Hardware Labs Black Ice Gen Two Stealth or GTS for short). They require 1500+ RPM high static pressure fans and in my personal testing back in 2006 proved to be the most restrictive rad on the market and nothing has changed since sadly. Overall, I'd say you should be fine, if you can stand the rumored high pitch whine of those old D4's.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Xtreme Addict
    Went with the koolance since skinnee didn't give it an overall bad review plus it was at a great deal, so I'll try to make it work. Would I see a great overall improvement in temps if I go with the DDC w/ tops in serial over the one D4?
    As for the rumors of the whining, maybe the corsair labeled ones aren't prone of this as it's near silent..?
    q6600 @ 2.6
    EVGA 680i
    OCZ fatal1ty ddr2 800
    8800gt SLI
    watercooled

I am Xtreme
    Went with the koolance since skinnee didn't give it an overall bad review plus it was at a great deal, so I'll try to make it work. Would I see a great overall improvement in temps if I go with the DDC w/ tops in serial over the one D4?
    As for the rumors of the whining, maybe the corsair labeled ones aren't prone of this as it's near silent..?
    Doubt it, you'd see some improvement but, not "great improvement". A single MCP35X would really be all you need if you feel the urge to get a new pump.

As for the whine, I'm almost positive it was electrical in nature...the type some ppl don't seem to hear and others scream bloody murder about. I have a 32" Sceptre TV that's like that, it makes this awful high pitched squeal when it's turned off that I can hear from 25' away yet I can't hear the supposed high squeal pitch of my DDC's that some ppl complain about.
    Circles SucQ!

Xtreme Member
    My D4 died last year (was used in an old workstation) after several years of 24/7 use. Replaced it with a used DB-1 from one of our users here at XS. While there was a louder sound from it than my D5's, it was far from a whine that most people have noted. I keep my rigs at head height and less than two feet from me so I either got lucky and had a pretty quiet D4 or my hearing is far worse than I thought. Now when it died, it made a bunch of horrible whiney sounds, but I dont think thats what you were asking about. ^_^
    At Xtremesystems.org we don't help you save money on your cooling gear, instead we try to make you feel better about the insane ammount you've spent.

Xtreme Addict
    Appreciate the input guys. I'll go with a 1 pump setup now and save myself roughly 80$, once I see some temps I'll make the call whether I feel a second pump is needed.
    Time to dust off the old dremel
    q6600 @ 2.6
    EVGA 680i
    OCZ fatal1ty ddr2 800
    8800gt SLI
    watercooled

Xtreme Addict
    Well, things are slowly coming together, got my replacement card as well as the uni-sinks from D-tek
    Did a little modding to get the Maze 4 and the uni-sinks to match up, I like the overall look.
    One disappointment I discovered was, one of the old maze 4s I have uses 9/16"-18 thread size.. and I can't seem to find a compression fitting in that size, so one of my blocks will have compression fitting, while the other won't. Not entirely a bit deal, but shows just how old the maze 4 I have is.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    q6600 @ 2.6
    EVGA 680i
    OCZ fatal1ty ddr2 800
    8800gt SLI
    watercooled