Thread: Problem with new 990FXA-UD5

Angry Problem with new 990FXA-UD5

I've had this board for little over a week and I've had none stop problems with it.

I'm running 2x OCZ vertex LE SATAII solid state drives in RAID0, well, trying to at least.

I was first having problems with the SSDs in RAID0 where the array would sometimes appear offline while posting. I tried a variety of SATAII and SATAIII cables and used different ports on the motherboard. After having no luck I tried the Marvell ports on the board but windows wouldn't recognise the array when trying to install windows 7 (I tried to install the drivers as the manual stated, but they weren't recognised).

Later, when testing the SATA ports on the mb I found that one of the ssd's wasn't being picked up using port 0, so I tried again using ports 1&2. This seemed to work with numerous restarts and both ssds being picked up in the bios and post. So I installed windows again and everything was working perfectly. Now it isn't.

I've managed to install windows, install all the updates etc and then suddenly while in use it will freeze, then explorer.exe will stop working so I can't really do anything but some of my programs which are open will still be functional for a varied amount of time. Then I will BSOD.

The ssds were working fine in my last build (Asus M4N82-T) and I updated the firmware using this motherboard before deleting and setting up a new RAID0 array on the new UD5.

I'm thinking there might be a problem with the SATA controller on the UD5 but I wanted to make sure that every other possibility has been eliminated before I send it back.

So what do you guys think? MoBo problem? SSD problem? Something else entirely that I've missed?
    Thanks.

Xtreme 3D Team
    It's probably more to do with firmware than anything... If they worked fine on your older ASUS board, then maybe send back your UD5 for a Sabertooth or Crosshair V Formula?
    Smile

Xtreme Member
    I think I read somewhere that it was something with firmware that coud cause problems when using port 0&1. I also read that the new firmware (3.5?) should fix that...

Can you, or have you, tried port 2&3?

Thanks guys, I was able to update the firmware on both ssds so they are fully working. I later managed to set up my raid0 array again and install windows, hard drives worked perfectly, no crashes or errors loading.

However. Now I can't connect to the internet or any network. Device manager in windows isn't showing any network options in the tree and the driver dvd isn't automatically installing the Reltek network driver. I tried to install it manually to see if that helped but I keep getting the message:
    "The RealTek Network Adapter/Controller was not found.
    If Deep Sleep Mode enabled Please Plug the Cable"
    Any ideas?