Thread: Overclocking Party First time LN2

Overclocking Party First time LN2

I don't normally post here but it seemed appropriate to share a recent overclocking experience, especially since this was the first time I had ever used LN2.

I'll attach a few of the cooler images from the event. The remainder of the photos can be found on the Ninjalane Facebook page or the main ninjalane site.

To start off I've been overclocking for quite awhile, mostly with air and water, though over the past year I've been using SS Phase rather extensively. Of course you can only do so much with phase before you get fed up with random heat related crashes because the SS wasn't preloaded before a particularly stressful run. It was at that point that made me want to take the next step.

Over the past couple months I have been gathering up the gear needed for LN2 runs, Dewar, insulation, vacuum bottle(s), with the final piece being a super slick CPU container that I acquired from deBauer. Soon after my account at Airgas had been secured I had a 180L tank delivered and I was off to the races.

The party consisted of myself and 4 local friends who were all curious about extreme overclocking. I had the whole thing running on Livestream and got some good feedback overall.

Boards at the event: GA-990FXA-UD5 + 1090T and GA-X58A-OC + 980x. My plan was to run 2D benches and get the feel for the pot, my insulation technique and basically learn how to cool with LN2.

I am happy to report that my insulation held up and both processors hit 6.1Ghz before the end of the weekend. I will have to work on slowly building an overclock. By this I mean to not push things so hard at first or make large jumps as I found it difficult to get back to the same level on a failed overclock.

All part of the learning process. Here are some pics

9441.jpg
    990FX prep before mounting to my bench table

9446.jpg
    First real pour, this was also before I started insulating the extension.

9457.jpg
    Frosty pot after a long wprime run.

9468.jpg
    Messing around without the insulation. Not once did I have an issue with water on the board, but then again there isn't "that" much water in the air around here.

I'm sure the LN2 veterans will know about how LN2 boils off but I got a kick out of watching it go from violent vaporization to quiet boil as the pot got cold (don't mind my cheesy comments)

First time watching LN2 boil.

I'm sure it was colder than -166c but that is what my meter was saying.

I am Xtreme
    extech is ok, its the probe that sucks or water is in the hole.

where is meredian? you in wa state? idahoe?

nice ln2 container

nice to see videos too, keep up the xtreme
    Last edited by Hondacity; 09-15-2011 at 07:56 PM.

Meridian is in Idaho. I should update that in my profile AH

I ended up drilling a new, and smaller, hole for the probe that came with my meter. I may not have made the hole deep enough but I did fill it with thermal paste before taping it down. I'm sure it's either the probe or how deep the hole is. Idle temps matched the bios so I figured it would be ok.

I am Xtreme
    i was in that area 2 months ago.

if you have a weekend party maybe i can bring 70L, pots and "stuff" leaves etc. i wanna learn some amd benching

Administrator
    I have been following NinjaLane and Dennis Garcia on FB.
    Nice work you guys !

Small world It is funny you should say that, I'm working on another overclocking session, hopefully for next month (depends on my review schedule). I'll likely get another 180L since that seemed to be the right amount. When it happens I'll be sure to give you a heads up.

I am Xtreme
    Woo that awesome. 180L will be plenty and cheap! can't wait for this

Xtreme Legend
    very nice mate,

tip for next time, place a fan to blow air upwards next time (that will prevent condensation forming on I/O panel and around CPU socket on longer sessions. It would be a good idea to have Hondacity around to help out get you up and running quickly as you learn a lot of useful tips from guys that have done it for a while. Just helps you fastrack to more enjoyable benching (and less hardware killing which is always a possibility and a source of frustration when you start out)
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Agreed, and as I eluded to on fb I do want to get competitive so I can use all the help I can get. Tips tricks and all that.

Thanks for the clarification on the fans, to be honest I was rather dumbfounded as to why people used so many of them when LN2 cooling. its not like the chipset coolers need any extra airflow (unlike on SS). Keeping condensation off the components does make sense..

The frost photos was me messing around, everyone likes frosty shots afterall