Thread: First Shot of Haswell, Working Demo at IDF - AnandTech

Xtreme Mentor

First Shot of Haswell, Working Demo at IDF - AnandTech

What you're looking at above is the first shot of Haswell, Intel's 2013 Core microarchitecture that replaces Ivy Bridge. Haswell is designed for a 10 - 20W range of TDPs for mainstream clients, this is down from 35 - 45W with Sandy and Ivy Bridge today. Expect configurable TDP and turbo to play huge roles in Haswell in 2013.

Intel has already mentioned a 20x decrease in platform power with Haswell resulting in 10 days of connected standby battery life on notebooks and "all day" battery life. I expect we won't hear about Haswell architecture until next year's IDF, but at the end of Mooly's keynote we did finally see a live demo of the chip.

The die shot is actually very interesting, it looks like a really big Atom (silverthorne) with its thin rectangular shape.
    AnandTech

Thanks to Brice MJ for the link !
    Last edited by Olivon; 09-14-2011 at 12:00 PM.

I am Xtreme
    that is soooooo nice, super low power, longer wireless connectivity

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Hey, look at that. Already posted.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...-IDF-AnandTech

xtremespeakfreely.com

Semper Fi

I am Xtreme
    Intel sure puts the trigates to use.... 2-3 times reduction in power consuption with more performance? nice

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueagent6 View Post
    Check that out, another thread!

Merged.

Banned
    Could you imagine a 6 core Haswell chip? As much as people hate on Intel these chips are awesome.

Amd guys can have there Power hungry chips. I'll gladly take an IB 2500K replacement at 5Ghz with 1.3v on air

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pestilence View Post
    Could you imagine a 6 core Haswell chip? As much as people hate on Intel these chips are awesome.

Amd guys can have there Power hungry chips. I'll gladly take an IB 2500K replacement at 5Ghz with 1.3v on air
    Don't crap on this thread. I'm absolutely sick of seeing AMD vs Intel arguments.

On topic: Seems like everybody has been focusing on the mobile market and simply scaling things upwards for the desktop market. Great strategy there! First time Intel did that, they came out with Core 2. This is just mindboggling though. All week with my notebook asleep, then pop it open and check out some youtube videos?!
    Computer:
    Case: Corsair 750D Airflow Edition
    Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus X570 Ultra
    RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 2x16gb @ stock
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900x
    Graphics: Evga GTX 1080 FTW, Coil Whine edition
    PSU: Corsair RMi 650w
    Cooling: Please don't remind me. Corsair H115i w/Arctic P14 PWM fans.
    HDD: 970 Pro, 860 Evo, WD 1tb 3 platter drive (12 years old?!), etc.

Xtreme Member
    And Intel keeps roaring ahead... just wow

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?

lulwut? I'm not sure if you're familiar at all with SB-E but it sounds like INTEL might actually have the most power hungry chip on the market come a few months.

Xtreme Mentor
    Haswell
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryR, on John Fruehe (JF-AMD) View Post
    Pretty much. Plus, he's here voluntarily.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by breakfromyou View Post
    Don't crap on this thread. I'm absolutely sick of seeing AMD vs Intel arguments.

On topic: Seems like everybody has been focusing on the mobile market and simply scaling things upwards for the desktop market. Great strategy there! First time Intel did that, they came out with Core 2. This is just mindboggling though. All week with my notebook asleep, then pop it open and check out some youtube videos?!
    Wasn't my intention as i'm buying BD for the Wife

Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    lulwut? I'm not sure if you're familiar at all with SB-E but it sounds like INTEL might actually have the most power hungry chip on the market come a few months.
    Gom.. I think it's going to be close between BD and SB-E. 2600K i believe has a TDP of 68w in a P67 board. I think the 130W TDP of the SB-E might be alittle high. 95W-100W sounds more reasonable.

Haswell will probably bring the first mainstream 8-core CPUs from Intel (up to 16C on servers): http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/4...574c7adad3.jpg

Xtreme Member
    Gom.. I think it's going to be close between BD and SB-E. 2600K i believe has a TDP of 68w in a P67 board. I think the 130W TDP of the SB-E might be alittle high. 95W-100W sounds more reasonable.
    Er, a reality check. TDP is simply put, v-core multiplied by a-core. I think if you did that, you'd be surprised by that number. Funnily enough, i couldn't find a-core numbers for SB on Intel's website. However, for Nehalem Intel quoted 130W as TDP, but it was 137 (1.37 v X 100 a). Nevertheless, newer CPU's generally are hard to be found running constantly at 100% to reach such thermal stress levels, unless you're doing something very specific of such nature.

Now, for one particular SB-E chip Intel is quoting a figure of 150W. It doesn't make it a good chip, or a bad one. It is just to say you better live in a cold place. Lol. I don't know mate... I lived in Delhi, India most of my life. In summers temps touch 47 Celsius and you don't want a CPU that hot there. There were worse CPU's from Intel some time ago. One of which drew 180 odd, but i can't remember the model number.
    http://cpuforever.com/Thread-Intel-8...-Have-150W-TDP

Anyways, with Haswell Intel is to introduce DX 11.1. Also, there are some other issues with the graphic part (which they're not touching upon in IB), including 24p playback which will be sorted in Haswell. So for people who buy Intel, this is something to look forward to. There are also some specific new additions coming over, which will make it quite a step up from IB.
    Last edited by tifosi; 09-14-2011 at 05:00 PM.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by tifosi View Post
    Er, a reality check. TDP is simply put, v-core multiplied by a-core. I think if you did that, you'd be surprised by that number. Funnily enough, i couldn't find a-core numbers for SB on Intel's website. However, for Nehalem Intel quoted 130W as TDP, but it was 137 (1.37 v X 100 a). Nevertheless, newer CPU's generally are hard to be found running constantly at 100% to reach such thermal stress levels, unless you're doing something very specific of such nature.

Now, for one particular SB-E chip Intel is quoting a figure of 150W. It doesn't make it a good chip, or a bad one. It is just to say you better live in a cold place. Lol. I don't know mate... I lived in Delhi, India most of my life. In summers temps touch 47 Celsius and you don't want a CPU that hot there. There were worse CPU's from Intel some time ago. One of which drew 180 odd, but i can't remember the model number.
    http://cpuforever.com/Thread-Intel-8...-Have-150W-TDP

Anyways, with Haswell Intel is to introduce DX 11.1. Also, there are some other issues with the graphic part (which they're not touching upon in IB), including 24p playback which will be sorted in Haswell. So for people who buy Intel, this is something to look forward to. There are also some specific new additions coming over, which will make it quite a step up from IB.
    1.37v and 100A., where did you get this info for nehalem?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    1.37v and 100A., where did you get this info for nehalem?
    These are the numbers for i7 920/ 930 which were previously available on Intel's website.

I am Xtreme
    its wrong, the imc and cores are separate loads

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    its wrong, the imc and cores are separate loads
    http://forums.techarena.in/motherboa...am/1349017.htm
    you could see someone here talking about the same...

Intel has sometime ago revamped certain sections of its website, post SB launch.
    http://ark.intel.com/products/37147/...s-Intel-QPI%29
    V-core numbers (1.375) are still there, but a-core information is not available on the page.

To give a contrast, here's page with information on SB.
    http://ark.intel.com/products/52213/...he-3_40-GHz%29
    You could see they don't even mention the V-core. So i carefully didn't make any exact claims about SB, but merely advised that Intel always has quoted TDP on a slightly lower side.

Before you actually knock people and what they say, can you spend 5-10 minutes reading about it?
    Last edited by tifosi; 09-14-2011 at 07:23 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice MJ View Post
    Haswell will probably bring the first mainstream 8-core CPUs from Intel (up to 16C on servers): http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/4...574c7adad3.jpg
    19 posts. all shills.
    " Business is Binary, your either a 1 or a 0, alive or dead." - Gary Winston ^^

Asus rampage III formula,i7 980xm, H70, Silverstone Ft02, Gigabyte Windforce 580 GTX SLI, Corsair AX1200, intel x-25m 160gb, 2 x OCZ vertex 2 180gb, hp zr30w, 12gb corsair vengeance

Rig 2
    i7 980x ,h70, Antec Lanboy Air, Samsung md230x3 ,Saphhire 6970 Xfired, Antec ax1200w, x-25m 160gb, 2 x OCZ vertex 2 180gb,12gb Corsair Vengence MSI Big Bang Xpower

I am Xtreme
    http://forums.techarena.in/motherboa...am/1349017.htm
    you could see someone here talking about the same...

Intel has sometime ago revamped certain sections of its website, post SB launch.
    http://ark.intel.com/products/37147/...s-Intel-QPI%29
    V-core numbers (1.375) are still there, but a-core information is not available on the page.

To give a contrast, here's page with information on SB.
    http://ark.intel.com/products/52213/...he-3_40-GHz%29
    You could see they don't even mention the V-core. So i carefully didn't make any exact claims about SB, but merely advised that Intel always has quoted TDP on a slightly lower side.

Before you actually knock people and what they say, can you spend 5-10 minutes reading about it?
    so you base the voltage from the vid?

and you're saying a-core? what does that mean? current of core?

are you an engineer?

Xtreme Member
    voltage multiplied by amperes is power, and we're here on about Thermal Design Power. Forgive me for any misunderstanding caused, but i had seen amperage/ current expressed in other forums and here as a-core so i used it as it is.

Also, you can run lower voltages, but default as specified by Intel is a different matter altogether.
    Last edited by tifosi; 09-15-2011 at 08:13 AM.

I am Xtreme
    lol you wasted my 10 minutes, i read your links and they're too funny.

you should understand the architecture before saying what tdp is

I am Xtreme
    voltage multiplied by amperes is power, and we're here on about Thermal Design Power. Forgive me for any misunderstanding caused, but i had seen amperage/ current expressed in other forums and here as a-core so i used it as it is.
    Yes for the classic ohmic resistor, cmos behave differnetly and power consumption is calculated different.

Xtreme Member
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it will be a fast cpu with crap graphics.