Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with GTX580 under cold

Wanna look under my kilt?

Problems with GTX580 under cold

Ok, I am GTX580 noob... I played with reference card in January and only now am I playing with a CuII

On the stock cooler, things are looking fine. average 975MHz core, 1325MHz GDDR

On cold... things get bad

Vantage GT1 is terrible...... the score doesn't scale with MHz?????? Tried different drivers, 32 and 64 bit, different PCI-E slots and PCI-E MHz. Doesn't scale with CPU power. TBH..... it almost feels like the more I push the core, the worse the FPS get. Score gets worse if I drop the GDDR clocks, so I don't think its data corruption

Vantage GT2 is fine though??????

3DM11 is totally fine, so it can't be coldslow?

3DM06 and GT03 are also writeoffs.... I only played at those for a very short time, I decided to stop before I wasted more LN2

Unigine scales very very slowly. (can only run on XP. W7 = stage 9 hang )

Any ideas guys?

Thanks

A random idea about the memory..... 1325MHz is fine with the stock cooler and 1.70vGDDR. I increased it to 1.75v under cold..... everyone else appears to be running much higher vGDDR for lower or similar clocks. Does my card have a cherry IMC or is this related to my problem?
    Last edited by K404; 09-13-2011 at 03:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post
    everyone else appears to be running much higher vGDDR for lower or similar clocks. Does my card have a cherry IMC or is this related to my problem?
    No, higher VMEM helps for lower temps and reduce memory CB

Thanks for the reply bro

the memory CB on these cards.... what form does it take? benchmark crash, then artifacting on restart? From memory, that happened to me on the reference card if I went colder than -100
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

take me to the manbar
    hmm it might be the memory yea,

causing bad communication with the core when it gets cold. To be honest the only nice 580 on ln2 is the lightning :P

I picked this card up at an "agreeable" price

I might have found a MHz limit with this card.... or a PSU limitation. From full 3DM11 no artifacts to hanging a few seconds into GT1 within 30MHz..... even if I crank up the volts and lower the temperature

You think more memory voltage is gonna help? Seems a bit hardcore to pump another 0.15v into the RAM when it "runs stable" as it is.

PSU is an OP-1000, single rail... and apparently the OCP on these is slack enough to allow over 1300W?
    Last edited by K404; 09-13-2011 at 07:21 AM.
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

take me to the manbar
    what temp are you at?

Are you sure it isn't maybe thermal paste? what paste / pot / PSU / volts / temp are you using :P

Thanks for jumping in on this Goddy

The nitty-gritty:

3DM11 at 1250MHz -100, 1.34v. -130 didn't help, up to 1.45v didn't help

Card has overall and per-phase OCP mods.

MousePot R4, glazed for temp stability.

GC-Extreme thermal paste
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Xtremely Bad Overclocker
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivi View Post
    hmm it might be the memory yea,

causing bad communication with the core when it gets cold. To be honest the only nice 580 on ln2 is the lightning :P
    Totally disagree - CU II isn't that easy, but can rock if you are stummerwinter :p (03 WR @Cebit...) Matrix does seem to be even better, see current 2nd unigine singlecard.

These problems must be related to memory I think.
    What about when you only test let's say -50°C?? Scores should be ok then, right?
    | '12 IvyBridge - "ticks different"... | AwardFabrik IvyBridge round I by SoF | AwardFabrik IvyBridge round II by angoholic & stummerwinter
    | '11 The SandyBridge madness... | AwardFabrik / Team LDK OC-Season 2011/2012 Opening Event
    | '10 Gulftown LaunchDay OC round up @ASUS RIIE | 3DM05 2x GPU WR LIVE @Cebit 2010 @ASUS MIIIE | SandyBridge arrived @ASUS P8P67

| '09 Foxconn Avenger | E8600 | Foxconn A79A-S | Phenom II 940 BE | LaunchDay Phenom II OC round up
    | '08 7.438s 1m LN2 | AMD 1m WR LN2 | 2nd AOCM | Phenom II teasing
    | '07 100% E2140 | 106.5% E2160 | 100% E4500 | 103% E4400 | 5508 MHZ E6850 | 7250 MHZ P4 641 126.5% by SoF and AwardFabrik Crew all on Gigabyte DS3P c? and LN2...
    | '06 3800+ X2 Manchester 0531TPEW noHS 3201MHZ c? | 3200+ Venice noHS 3279MHZ c? | Opteron 148 0536CABYE 3405MHZ c? all on Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI compressorcooled

| '05 3500+[NC], 3000+[W], 2x 3200+[W], 3500+[NC], 3200+[V] 0516GPDW

Quote Originally Posted by saaya
    sof pulled a fermi on all of us !!!

Hay mate, which BIOS are you using ?

I ask because I've just recently been playing with my DC2's and had simaler problems to what you discribed..(could not get over 1250 on the core no mater what volts I through at it)....I was using the BIOS listed on the bot.

I then changed to shammys. D.rom BIOS.....and all problems went away..(1500 mhz...and scaling with voltage)......worth a try man.......http://www.kingpincooling.com/forum/...69&postcount=8

Good luck
    Last edited by SniperOZ; 09-13-2011 at 11:10 PM.

I am Xtreme
    core 1.45v too low
    mem 1.7v too low
    -100c too hot

dcu2 scaled to 1350 @ -160ish

Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    core 1.45v too low
    mem 1.7v too low
    -100c too hot

dcu2 scaled to 1350 @ -160ish

Yeah 1500 core...from memory was 1.7v.....-170
    mem 1.9v
    pll 1.32v

Thanks for the scaling advice guys

Think more juice and maybe some lower GDDR MHz is the answer to my problem? Will try the new BIOS for sure, thanks oz!

EDIT: Flashed d.rom...... turns out it's the same BIOS revision that I was already using, but I think It had a different name when I got it? I hope there's a few small but important changes!
    Last edited by K404; 09-14-2011 at 01:49 AM.
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Just had another shot.

New BIOS..... dunno about MHz limits but Smart Doctor doesn't give the same MHz options

Efficiency is still in the toilet. Tried more vGDDR and lower RAM MHz. Scaling is still non-existent

Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    core 1.45v too low
    mem 1.7v too low
    -100c too hot

For what?
    Last edited by K404; 09-14-2011 at 07:46 AM.
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

PI in the face
    On DCUII I use 1.85vMem 1.32vPLL 1.58vCore for 1600mhz in 03

So its just not getting good scores? No BSOD's or freezes?
    Quote Originally Posted by L0ud View Post
    So many opinions and so few screenshots

I am Xtreme
    if you want something more than 1300mhz+

Quote Originally Posted by Splave View Post
    So its just not getting good scores? No BSOD's or freezes?
    Hey Allen. Thanks for the scaling point Will add it to the list.

Yea... benches run fine, just crap efficiency.... REALLY crap. PJ suggested trying Vista. Will install it tomorrow, got some other benching line up for this evening
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Hardware Nightmare
    PEG link x1? check caps near pcie edge maybe
    Taking GND reference from another galaxy

Electronics engineering @ extreme overclocker
    LN2: Cel347@8199.5MHz,920@5300,E8600@6610,QX9650@5700,X 3050@4311,X3470@5060

I am Xtreme
    or using farthest pcie slot?

Bandwidth is fine and i've tried both x16 PCI-E slots on my board Thanks for the ideas... after my ref card ended up stuck in x8 mode it's something I check MUCH more often!
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

¿
    Closing/re-opening Vantage between runs? No scaling problem occurring with perfectly clean run i.e., no artifacts? Are you 100% sure you applied clocks? Follow Splave's voltage advice for starters, that will get you into 1500/1250 range if everything else is in order. Part of the problem could be the container, can you borrow a fatty from someone to compare?

Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post
    Just had another shot.

New BIOS..... dunno about MHz limits but Smart Doctor doesn't give the same MHz options

Efficiency is still in the toilet. Tried more vGDDR and lower RAM MHz. Scaling is still non-existent

Hmm yeah I didn't use smart doc I used AB

How about the mods checked all fine??

Thanks again for the new posts

Not *always* re-opening Vantage between runs, but there's enough reboots and re-openings to be satisfied it's not a sequence of increasingly "dirty" runs. No artifacts. It either passes clean or it freezes.

Are my clocks applying? LOL my problems are enough to make me wonder, but 3D11 and Vantage GT2 scale enough for me to say "yup!"

NOT worried about MHz right now. Without efficiency and proper scaling, my "scores" at 1500MHz would just embarrass me. No pots to use instead, but.... MHz aren't my big problem right now

I'm happy enough with my mods. vCore and vGDDR work fine, computer will boot with the card at -140 so there's no big CBB problem. OCP Vs MHz.... i'll deal with that when there's a point to me pushing the MHz

Next thing to try is Vista..... fingers crossed everything goes away the moment i'm up and running there.

Thanks for all the ideas guys, I appreciate it Never had a problem like this before
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

I owe Massman a drink. He solved it with 4 simple words

"Have you tried Vista?"

Somehow... both my W7 setups are a writeoff... Vista flies in comparison!

Unigine is still a problem- stage 6 freeze, just like it always did

My efficiency is still a *little* off... Vista Vs W7-64 but at least i'm in a position where I can start working towards scores.

Oh... Vantage and 3D11... -140 load, 1.52v and 1350MHz. Both passed first time and without hesitation, so probably more MHz available at that voltage. How is that for a CuII?

Thanks for all the ideas guys
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Xtremely Bad Overclocker
    little question as I had some strange issue today with it: do you always make sure that afterburner is closed when running the bench?
    I left it active in the backround what gave me low scores when overclocked (stock it seemed ok). cost me half the saturday today ^^
    | '12 IvyBridge - "ticks different"... | AwardFabrik IvyBridge round I by SoF | AwardFabrik IvyBridge round II by angoholic & stummerwinter
    | '11 The SandyBridge madness... | AwardFabrik / Team LDK OC-Season 2011/2012 Opening Event
    | '10 Gulftown LaunchDay OC round up @ASUS RIIE | 3DM05 2x GPU WR LIVE @Cebit 2010 @ASUS MIIIE | SandyBridge arrived @ASUS P8P67

| '09 Foxconn Avenger | E8600 | Foxconn A79A-S | Phenom II 940 BE | LaunchDay Phenom II OC round up
    | '08 7.438s 1m LN2 | AMD 1m WR LN2 | 2nd AOCM | Phenom II teasing
    | '07 100% E2140 | 106.5% E2160 | 100% E4500 | 103% E4400 | 5508 MHZ E6850 | 7250 MHZ P4 641 126.5% by SoF and AwardFabrik Crew all on Gigabyte DS3P c? and LN2...
    | '06 3800+ X2 Manchester 0531TPEW noHS 3201MHZ c? | 3200+ Venice noHS 3279MHZ c? | Opteron 148 0536CABYE 3405MHZ c? all on Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI compressorcooled

| '05 3500+[NC], 3000+[W], 2x 3200+[W], 3500+[NC], 3200+[V] 0516GPDW

Quote Originally Posted by saaya
    sof pulled a fermi on all of us !!!

Champion
    While I'm searching for final clocks I'm always benching with AB open and I didn't had any performance issues. Which benchmark were you running?
    Born to lose, live to win!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast