Thread: Locking clocks under Linux

Xtreme Cruncher

Locking clocks under Linux

Greetings and salutation. (to those who are from Texas it means hello.)

I am gearing up for the hopefully end of 90-100 degree heat. It is 102f right now but looks like this is the last week of it. I am putting together a AM3+ WCG Linux cruncher system and will need to put one of my GTX260s on it. It is a GTX260 that sometimes does not come out of low-power mode and I have always used Rivatuner under Vista to lock the clocks.

I have done numerous searches and the only thing I come up with is a program called NVclock. It is an overclocking utility but has not been updated since 2009 and says nothing of locking clocks. It has been many years since I have done anything like this in Linux, 3D or crucnhing, and I do not remember what adjustments can be made in the driver. Does anyone know of a way to lock clocks or prevent low power mode under Linux? Does the driver come with anything to allow adjustments?

I should be getting the parts next week, was hoping someone might know what I am up against with this and if I am going to need to got to Winders to get 'er done.

Cheers!

(disclaimer: the Texas jab is directed towards one individual and not the general population no matter how appropriate it might actually be.)

Xtreme Cruncher
    Well howdy partner.

Nice to see your kind 'round these parts again.

Sorry I dunno about no linux but I reckon I seen a stray heifer over those hills yonder.

24 hour prime stable? Please, I'm 24/7/365 WCG stable!

So you can do Furmark, Can you Grid???

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Otis11 View Post
    Well howdy partner.

Nice to see your kind 'round these parts again.

Sorry I dunno about no linux but I reckon I seen a stray heifer over those hills yonder.

Thanks for riding by and fer the welcome!

I like the hat.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inflatable-cowboy-horse-costume-1.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	119605

Xtreme Cruncher
    Thank ya, its my sunday hat.

Ya know, for church and all.

24 hour prime stable? Please, I'm 24/7/365 WCG stable!

So you can do Furmark, Can you Grid???

Xtreme Cruncher
    As a follow up to my OP I installed the drivers through Ubuntu's "Additional Drivers" menu choice and it installed the 270 drivers. A reboot and GPUGrid is crunching away. In the System > Administration menu is "Nvidia X Server Settings". Opening that gives a Thermal Readings menu for watching temps and a "PowerMizer" choice. Selecting that offers a "Prefered Mode" I chose "Prefer Maximum Performance" and it showed it locked on max stock clocks. Will watch it and see if this locks the clocks but it does appear to be the way to do it.

Now looking for a way to set fan to 100%...