Thread: DSLR for begginer

Xtreme Member

DSLR for begginer

Hi all, I'm interested in new camera, a DSLR would be great solution for start after sony dsc-hx1!
    budget is around 1000$
    don't know anything about lenses and which lenses should i buy for camera! only i can say is that iam interested in “wild animals“ pictures, macro and i like “fish eye“ pictures
    also it would be great to read about lenses so i hope that someone of you guys have some great links with reviews of cameras and lenses
    , thanks!

Fanboy of Good Products
    I've seen this website recommended a lot : http://www.dpreview.com/reviews
    Cruncher #1: EVGA Z68 FTW | i7-2600k @ 4.5 | 6GB Ram
    Cruncher #2: Supermicro Dual-Socket | 2 x 6-core Opterons | 4GB Ram
    Cruncher #3: 8-core Xserve 1,1

T400 for non-crunching

"But don't think you'll run me over - It's, ah, planting season here in Texas... and the farm is growing..." -Otis11 on crunching WCG

Xtreme Addict
    Fish-eye lens and macro are quite cheap. Lens for wildlife (which is usually something like 70-200mm f2.8 or longer) usually are not cheap, not mentioning that you need quite decent high ISO.

Nikon D5100 seems to tick most boxes for you, although you can get Nikon D90, which would be probably better (second hand, no longer new I think). For long and fast lens (wildlife), you will need to save a bit. Though, if you buy D90, you can use older 80-200mm f2.8 lens too (D90 has motor for AF with older lens, D5100 doesnt have that).

Or you can go via Canon route, but frankly their APS-C are not exactly competetive at this moment. I would probably rather buy old Canon 40D than any new APS-C from them.

And then, there is Sony. Sony A55 should do what you want. Though not sure about fisheye lens, but there should be some.. and I think Sigma does some for Sony mount too. For wildlife, you can get probably cheapest Minolta 80-200mm f2.8, which is easiest way to get some quality long and fast lens. Yea and Sony has very cheap macro lens for APS-C, which is quite good actually.

Otherwise, you dont have pretty much any options.. There are some more extreme ways, but since you are begginer, I wouldnt try it right now.
    i7 930 D0 - 4,2 GHz + Megashadow
    3x4GB Crucial 1600MHz CL8
    Foxconn Bloodrage rev. 1.1 - P09
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    SeaGate ES.2 1TB + 1TB External SeaGate
    Corsair HX 850W (its GOLD man!)
    ASUS STX + Sennheiser HD 555 (tape mod)

Old-new camera so some new pics will be there.. My Flickr My 500px.com My Tumblr

Xtremeish
    Good starting point:

Canon:
    450D, Very cheap and decent with no video modes.
    550D, 600D, Next gen high entry with a great sensor and video.
    40D, 50D, Older generation for those with bigger hands and with better ergonomics.

Nikon:
    D5000, D5100, Very much like the Canon entry level alternative with a slightly bigger body.
    D80, D90, still offers a lot of performance for the money and is starting too get seriously cheap.
    D300, Similar to the 40D and 50D alternative in terms of size and functions.

With the Nikons there is a very nice 18-105mm lens that you should look at, there is also similar stuff over at the Canon camp.
    For low light both systems have the typical, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm and 85mm with around anything from F1.4 to F2.8 aperture. Starting with 1 such a lens is a good idea.

Reasons for choosing these systems are the amount of lenses you can get.
    Now get down to the store and try em out, and remember buying camera equipment second hand can save you a lot of cash
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Xtreme Member
    @komer

go for the 500d, then buy a 50mm 1.8II lens for that cheap prime glass goodness
    Newbie Cruncher

Quote Originally Posted by Chaserjzx100 View Post
    @komer

go for the 500d, then buy a 50mm 1.8II lens for that cheap prime glass goodness
    Or a 50mm 1.4 USM for videos photo studio most used..

Xtreme Addict
    Best thing to do is find somewhere local and go and try out the cameras in your price range. You will NEED to get a feel to see which camera is comfortable in your grip.

I had a huge dilemma when picking one between the Canon 550D and the Nikon D80 and after feeling them in my hands it was a clear choice that the Nikon was the one for me as it felt a lot sturdier and solidly built.

Xtreme 3D Team
    I would have to recommend the D5100 for image quality...over all of Canon's offers even the 60D.
    It is a crop body, so your normal 55-300 or 70-300mm lenses will offer equiv. of 450mm on a budget. Nikon's DX 55-300mm ED VR is pretty sharp at most of its range and I quite enjoy it.

To much of poster's shock, the D5100/D7000's APS-C sensors outperform the D90 by quite a margin. It is hard to tell in daylight photos, however at night I almost find it a laughable comparison.

I still get usable images at night (8x10 or up) at ISO 3200 with my D5100 and ISO 4000 in daylight (not that you would need it...) . Noise reduction software like NeatImage, when used correctly, can take out most chromatic noise without detail loss, the grain can be dealt with separately.
    Smile

Xtreme Cruncher
    Seems like you are needing a wide variety of lenses. Don't expect to spend too much on the body.
    Team XS: xs4s.org