Thread: Phobya Molex Extractor Toolkit Review

Xtreme Supporter

Phobya Molex Extractor Toolkit Review

Phobya Molex Extractor Kit Review
    by Dark Mantis

Phobya has sent me a tool kit for use in extracting the pins from all sorts of Molex connectors. This maybe required because you want to make up new cables or the particular one in question

has been damaged and needs replacing or, more usually when the pins need to be removed from a connector to enable the insertion of the wire into some cable braid for aesthetic purposes.

Obviously the small diameter braid used to sleeve a single cable is only a couple of millimetres maximum and so there is no way of expanding it to fit over an end connector therefore the

block requires removing first and for that special tools are needed.

Most Molex connector block pins are secured in place by reverse barbs on the shank of the steel tubing they are made from. In order for them to be removed from the plug these barbs need to

be flattened down so that the pin can be pushed back through the connector block. The different types of Molex connectors have their own design of pin and barb lock. This set of four

seperate tools will enable the disassembly of all of the types of blocks.

There is one tool for each type of plug or socket and I shall deal with each as we get to them. The first one and probably the most used is a dual ended tube of two different diameters. One

is 2.72mm ID 3.60mm OD and the other end is 2.17mm ID and 3.00mm OD. This tool is to fit the plug and socket ends of the large 4 pin Molex blocks like the general purpose ones that fit PATA

hard drives, pumps, many fans and various other devices.

The next is for the small 4 pin plug that fits the old floppy drives and a few other components like fans. This is like a four pronged comb and enables all four locking barbs to be

flattened at once. Coming next in line is the single pointed tool for the old six cable in line connector blocks and the more modern SATA power connector. Finally the last tool has a twin

pointed end that enables disassembly of the motherboard and GPU power cable ends.

The tools with the exception of the cylindrical large Molex one are all made up from laminated steel riveted together to give more strenth than a single piece. The "comb" tool is made of

two layers and the others of three. They all seem to be quite strong especially considering the small sizes of the actual tool heads involved. Some care is required when using the tools and

it is best to try and put the pressure straight down along the tool rather than across it where bending is more likely to occur. Phobya has made the effort to design them ergonomically as

far as possible.

When everything is taken into consideration I find them quite a well designed toolkit and should last you for some time if handled correctly. The price is fair enough I feel considering

the quality involved. I award this tool kit 8/10.

Supplier: C and C Central Website: http://www.candccentral.co.uk/phobya...ving-tool.html Price: £13.26

Official Gigabyte UK Forum Moderator

I am Xtreme
    do you have a picture showing how far into the plug the ATX remover goes? the skinny part looks way to long, and its very easy to bend those things with the amount of pressure that is usually needed (even a 1% chance means your likely to see it happen when doing a full PSU conversion)
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Supporter
    I have just uploaded a picture as you asked and I would agree that it's not an easy job but they do work ok.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Much cheaper option

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6020strip_of_staples.jpg 
Views:	815 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	119517

Xtreme Supporter
    Agreed! There are cheaper options but often they are not always the easiest solution to use.

I am Xtreme
    ive tried staples, paperclips, and other things
    bought 7$ tool and it worked very well, although it does take practice and due to shipping its almost best for new people to buy 2 at first.

not sure if i like this one. the prongs just look way to long and there can be ALOT of force needed some times. these just look too risky.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Supporter
    Obviously only time will tell in the end as there is nothing like hard use to determine if it will stand up or not. I used quite a bit of force trying it out with no problems but that isn't to say it won't fail at some later date.