Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid exhaust tickets

Xtreme Member

Stupid exhaust tickets

Got my 3rd modified exhaust ticket now and man this import profiling crap is getting outta hand. The cops don't care about loud diesels or bikes, but when it comes to a supra with a odd shaped exhaust (HKS Titanium by the way) I get treated like I murdered someone. Well kind of a rant I guess but this if this is a way for them to generate easy revenue then I'm have to come up with some creative ways.
    i7 940/Rampage 2 Extreme/Corsair 6g Dominator/Corsair HX100W/GTX 580/SSD

so whats wrong with your car, is it to noisy or do u not have a cat/muffler that are DOT approved.

the product description has this
    "On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the loudest exhaust and 1 being the factory exhaust sound, the HKS Titanium comes in at around a 8.5 (loudest of all Japanese exhaust)."

did u not think that would get u in trouble, and wernt you in california, u need to get everything with a DOT stamp here or u will get a ticket.
    Last edited by zanzabar; 08-29-2011 at 11:29 AM.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Pass by noise ticket?
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Xtreme Addict
    Maybe they're just tired of fart pipes... I know that I am.
    Regards, Stew.....

- This message brought to you by Frank Lee E. Snutz

Xtreme Addict
    I hate fart cans. Might as well paint on the side of your car "LOOK AT ME!!! I'M AN ATTENTION WHORE!!!!". No different than when kids tape playing cards on their bikes so they flap against the spokes. Lame.
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

Devil kept pokin'

It is a bit loud. I do agree about modified bikes and diesel's though. If it's too loud it's too loud regardless of its "tone"

Administrator
    Out here in Stockton, CA yes you would get a ticket for that, even for playing music super loud.
    Noise polution or something like that, plus if your car/music is so loud that you cannot hear a Police/Ambulance siren then it's also a safety issue.

XIP
    Here in 5 boroughs NYC probly not only cops that like to give a ticket for noisy exhaust.....its also an easy target for member of the "chop shop" club
    Last edited by Dumo; 08-29-2011 at 02:45 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Man those things are intensely annoying. Most people don't want to hear all the extra noise. I love modifications of all types, however not mods that drive other people nuts. LOL
    Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.28v | MSI p67a-gd65 B3 Mobo | Samsung ddr3 8gb |
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump

Xtreme Member
    I know how you feel the police are always pulling me over for my exhaust on my mk 3 Golf it`s stupid havent they got nothing better to do.
    Gaming Rig
    Intel Q6600 Oc 3.2ghz
    4gb Ocz ddr 2 Ram
    corsair h50 Cpu Cooler
    Asus Maximus ii Formula X38
    Samsung Spin Point 320gb
    Ocz 60Gb Ssd Drive O/S
    Antec 1200 Gamers Case
    Gigabyte 720 Watt Psu
    Windows 7 64

Xtreme Addict
    ROFL! That second one sounds like a single prop airplane. hahaha There is no reason to have something THAT loud. Its ridiculous and totally unnecessary. If your car sounds like that, you should be ticketed. I'm thankful I live in a neighborhood without idiots driving around with fart cans. Drives me nuts. I hate it with a passion.

More than those idiots who drive around with ridiculously overpowered stereos who drive up next to people at a red lights with their windows down and their sh***y music turned all the way up, look at the person in the car next to them, bobbing their head back and forth and give you a look like they're hot sh**. I fantasize about getting out of my car and slapping them across the face with a tire iron so hard, they fly up in the air spinning around like a cartoon character and land behind some trees.
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

I'm afraid i can't be sympathetic - you just dont *NEED* an exhaust that loud. You could get one thats an inch smaller, and not lose any horsepower at all. Yes, it's a ballache having to deal with cops that think that modified cars are little more than mobile ATM's, but still...if it's likely to annoy, just don't do it, especially if that's what you have to deal with.

If you want a nice HKS Exhaust that's not to loud and still provides decent power - try the HKS LET-16. I had one on my original red supra - very nice setup.

Main Rig

Intel Core i7-2600K (SLB8W, E0 Stepping) @ 4.6Ghz (4.6x100), Corsair H80i AIO Cooler
    MSI Z77A GD-65 Gaming (MS-7551), v25 BIOS
    Kingston HyperX 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-19200 Kit (HX24C11BRK2/16-OC) @ 1.5v, 11-13-13-30 Timings (1:8 Ratio)
    8GB MSI Radeon R9 390X (1080 Mhz Core, 6000 Mhz Memory)
    NZXT H440 Case with NZXT Hue+ Installed
    24" Dell U2412HM (1920x1200, e-IPS panel)
    1 x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO (Boot & Install)
    1 x 2Tb Hitachi 7K2000 in External Enclosure (Scratch Disk)

Entertainment Setup

Samsung Series 6 37" 1080p TV
    Gigabyte GA-J1800N-D2H based media PC, Mini ITX Case, Blu-Ray Drive
    Netgear ReadyNAS104 w/4x2TB Toshiba DTACA200's for 5.8TB Volume size

I refuse to participate in any debate with creationists because doing so would give them the "oxygen of respectability" that they want.
    Creationists don't mind being beaten in an argument. What matters to them is that I give them recognition by bothering to argue with them in public.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StickyRICE View Post
    Got my 3rd modified exhaust ticket now and man this import profiling crap is getting outta hand. The cops don't care about loud diesels or bikes, but when it comes to a supra with a odd shaped exhaust (HKS Titanium by the way) I get treated like I murdered someone. Well kind of a rant I guess but this if this is a way for them to generate easy revenue then I'm have to come up with some creative ways.
    Don't drive with a POS fartcan?
    Gigabyte z68 UD3
    2600k @ stock
    8Gb G Skill
    2x eVGA GTX 680 @ stock
    Intel 320 80Gb
    Intel 320 120Gb x2
    Intel 320 160Gb x2

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    so whats wrong with your car, is it to noisy or do u not have a cat/muffler that are DOT approved.

the product description has this
    "On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the loudest exhaust and 1 being the factory exhaust sound, the HKS Titanium comes in at around a 8.5 (loudest of all Japanese exhaust)."

did u not think that would get u in trouble, and wernt you in california, u need to get everything with a DOT stamp here or u will get a ticket.
    It was never an issue here to be honest, I've talked to quite a few cops who doesn't care about it. It was only recently someone with some power around here to tell the police depts to pull over all imports and thats why there has been a huge number of tickets for only imports, the v8 dometic guys can get away with straight pipes no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    Pass by noise ticket?
    Actually modified exhaust ticket, the RCW is quite vague, there is no decible limit at all just says you can't touch any part of the exhaust system, by their law standard anything out of midas would be illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
    Out here in Stockton, CA yes you would get a ticket for that, even for playing music super loud.
    Noise polution or something like that, plus if your car/music is so loud that you cannot hear a Police/Ambulance siren then it's also a safety issue.
    CA is a lot worse than WA.

Quote Originally Posted by yatesy17 View Post
    I know how you feel the police are always pulling me over for my exhaust on my mk 3 Golf it`s stupid havent they got nothing better to do.
    Yup, I been staying low for over 2 years now cruise different routes and what not but happens I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Judaeus Apella View Post
    ROFL! That second one sounds like a single prop airplane. hahaha There is no reason to have something THAT loud. Its ridiculous and totally unnecessary. If your car sounds like that, you should be ticketed. I'm thankful I live in a neighborhood without idiots driving around with fart cans. Drives me nuts. I hate it with a passion.

More than those idiots who drive around with ridiculously overpowered stereos who drive up next to people at a red lights with their windows down and their sh***y music turned all the way up, look at the person in the car next to them, bobbing their head back and forth and give you a look like they're hot sh**. I fantasize about getting out of my car and slapping them across the face with a tire iron so hard, they fly up in the air spinning around like a cartoon character and land behind some trees.
    Well, there is a difference, I've never had one person who has heard the car and seen the car say omg your car is too loud, it has always been nice car, sounds BA, wicked or sounds like a freaking jet. It's like you hear a Ferrari and your like man it sounds cool, not the same type of noise where you want to hit someone with a tire iron lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai Robinson View Post
    I'm afraid i can't be sympathetic - you just dont *NEED* an exhaust that loud. You could get one thats an inch smaller, and not lose any horsepower at all. Yes, it's a ballache having to deal with cops that think that modified cars are little more than mobile ATM's, but still...if it's likely to annoy, just don't do it, especially if that's what you have to deal with.

If you want a nice HKS Exhaust that's not to loud and still provides decent power - try the HKS LET-16. I had one on my original red supra - very nice setup.
    Well, didn't do it for the noise, it's dyno proven that 4in makes 50 to 75 more whp when running huge turbos. I plan to run a 82mm next year and make well over 1000whp so every inch of exhaust counts.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolslave View Post
    Don't drive with a POS fartcan?
    never thought a HKS TI would be a fart can but sure. You don't like cars or imports I take it.
    Last edited by StickyRICE; 08-29-2011 at 06:21 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StickyRICE View Post
    It was never an issue here to be honest, I've talked to quite a few cops who doesn't care about it. It was only recently someone with some power around here to tell the police depts to pull over all imports and thats why there has been a huge number of tickets for only imports, the v8 dometic guys can get away with straight pipes no problems.
    That's probably because v8's produce more of a rumble and not a high pitched fart noise.
    I have nothing against imports, I drive a 2011 eclipse , but people who put these ridiculous fartcans on their imports just deserve to get ticketed imo.

Of course I really have no idea how your car sounds, I just based my opinion on those youtube links.
    Gigabyte z68 UD3
    2600k @ stock
    8Gb G Skill
    2x eVGA GTX 680 @ stock
    Intel 320 80Gb
    Intel 320 120Gb x2
    Intel 320 160Gb x2

whats your actual offense, it should have a number for a penal code with it. im currious as anything DOT/CARB u should not be ticketed for as long as u have a sealed system that dose not break the max DB level (95 at about 3k rpm.)

i know how u feel on it, but when i searched for what u said u had it was listed for race use only (not sure if i found what u had, (i know it was giant from your thread), i know its awesome but thats something that u have to deal with when u dont use explicitly legal parts.
    Last edited by zanzabar; 08-29-2011 at 06:48 PM.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

Tone has something to do with it. When a car drives by that sounds like someone is farting into a megaphone, it is far more annoying than a car driving by with a lower frequency rumbling roar, even if the volume level is the same.

Generally speaking, people find higher pitched sounds more irritating than lower pitched sounds of the same volume level.

Frankly, I'm annoyed when the volume level gets too high regardless of pitch. I like a good rumble to a V8, and some roar when revved, but some people go overboard with the volume level with it. Harley riders are some of the worst about exhaust volume it seems.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Addict
    That's probably because v8's produce more of a rumble and not a high pitched fart noise.
    I have nothing against imports, I drive a 2011 eclipse , but people who put these ridiculous fartcans on their imports just deserve to get ticketed imo.

Of course I really have no idea how your car sounds, I just based my opinion on those youtube links.
    Most V8 aftermarket exhausts do just that. However, there are a few people who feel the need to go all out and make their car (or actually pickup truck as is more seen here in Charlotte) obnoxiously loud to the tone of several times that of your average 4 banger aftermarket system.

@StickyRice - Anyways, the Cop wrote you the ticket because he probably believed you had non DOT approved equipment. What you have to do is appear in court and defend yourself. If you can prove that your car can pass DOT standards in its modified condition then you will probably be acquitted. If your car fails said standards, then you will have to pay the fine and comply with whatever the judge orders you to do other than that if he indeed has further orders.
    Regards, Stew.....

what happens is that u have to go the highway patrol and they check it, and if u are using a non legal exhaust or anything else engine related u have to get it fixed and they do a db test or u just pay the fine and hope u dont get pulled over

Xtreme Member

That sums up on how my car sounds, not my car though.

whats your actual offense, it should have a number for a penal code with it. im currious as anything DOT/CARB u should not be ticketed for as long as u have a sealed system that dose not break the max DB level (95 at about 3k rpm.)

i know how u feel on it, but when i searched for what u said u had it was listed for race use only (not sure if i found what u had, (i know it was giant from your thread), i know its awesome but thats something that u have to deal with when u dont use explicitly legal parts.
    RCW 46.37.390
    Mufflers required -- Smoke and air contaminant standards -- Definitions -- Penalty, exception.
    (1) Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise, and no person shall use a muffler cut-out, bypass, or similar device upon a motor vehicle on a highway.

(2)(a) No motor vehicle first sold and registered as a new motor vehicle on or after January 1, 1971, shall discharge into the atmosphere at elevations of less than three thousand feet any air contaminant for a period of more than ten seconds which is:

(i) As dark as or darker than the shade designated as No. 1 on the Ringelmann chart, as published by the United States bureau of mines; or

(ii) Of such opacity as to obscure an observer's view to a degree equal to or greater than does smoke described in subsection (a)(i) above.

(b) No motor vehicle first sold and registered prior to January 1, 1971, shall discharge into the atmosphere at elevations of less than three thousand feet any air contaminant for a period of more than ten seconds which is:

(i) As dark as or darker than the shade designated as No. 2 on the Ringelmann chart, as published by the United States bureau of mines; or

(ii) Of such opacity as to obscure an observer's view to a degree equal to or greater than does smoke described in subsection (b)(i) above.

(c) For the purposes of this subsection the following definitions shall apply:

(i) "Opacity" means the degree to which an emission reduces the transmission of light and obscures the view of an object in the background;

(ii) "Ringelmann chart" means the Ringelmann smoke chart with instructions for use as published by the United States bureau of mines in May 1967 and as thereafter amended, information circular 7718.

(3) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the engine of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and it shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle not equipped as required by this subsection, or which has been amplified as prohibited by this subsection. A court may dismiss an infraction notice for a violation of this subsection if there is reasonable grounds to believe that the vehicle was not operated in violation of this subsection.

This subsection (3) does not apply to vehicles twenty-five or more years old or to passenger vehicles being operated off the highways in an organized racing or competitive event conducted by a recognized sanctioning body.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is the acutal RCW.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Tone has something to do with it. When a car drives by that sounds like someone is farting into a megaphone, it is far more annoying than a car driving by with a lower frequency rumbling roar, even if the volume level is the same.

Generally speaking, people find higher pitched sounds more irritating than lower pitched sounds of the same volume level.

Frankly, I'm annoyed when the volume level gets too high regardless of pitch. I like a good rumble to a V8, and some roar when revved, but some people go overboard with the volume level with it. Harley riders are some of the worst about exhaust volume it seems.
    Yea agreed on tone for sure, check out the video it gives you guys an idea how it sounds. It's a very low rumble.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie007 View Post
    Most V8 aftermarket exhausts do just that. However, there are a few people who feel the need to go all out and make their car (or actually pickup truck as is more seen here in Charlotte) obnoxiously loud to the tone of several times that of your average 4 banger aftermarket system.

@StickyRice - Anyways, the Cop wrote you the ticket because he probably believed you had non DOT approved equipment. What you have to do is appear in court and defend yourself. If you can prove that your car can pass DOT standards in its modified condition then you will probably be acquitted. If your car fails said standards, then you will have to pay the fine and comply with whatever the judge orders you to do other than that if he indeed has further orders.
    See the above law has no decible limit, it's basically saying if it aint oem it's illegal, my exhaust has working mufflers and it can pass under 95db limit no problems. The way the cops interpet that law is if they don't like anyway appearance wise or just a tad loud they will give you a ticket, well if u have an import anwyays.

what happens is that u have to go the highway patrol and they check it, and if u are using a non legal exhaust or anything else engine related u have to get it fixed and they do a db test or u just pay the fine and hope u dont get pulled over
    Yea I'm going to get it tested actually to see how loud it really is.
    Last edited by StickyRICE; 08-29-2011 at 08:01 PM.

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie007 View Post
    Maybe they're just tired of fart pipes... I know that I am.
    i dont think even the cheapest supra exaust sounds farty

Xtreme Addict
    There are so many aftermarket configurations out there, and many of them are not approved for road usage. You won't ever see a law that is so specific that it allows one thing and not the other. Its broad spectrum, wide reaching legislation that is intended to discourage people from modifying their cars in ways that will cause them to fail emissions standards.

I was joking about the fart pipe part earlier, because I am thoroughly sick of that crap. They don't seem to care much here in NC, but not every state is the same. You see, what people tend to do is put high flow Cats and completely modify the exhaust system and most times it causes them to fail emissions. It isn't that its an import. Its more because of the many many many people with those types of cars all the way down to a Honda Civic that have "illegal" mods. Some states enforce them more than others.
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    i dont think even the cheapest supra exaust sounds farty
    No, probably not; just louder.
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Addict
    The bass from a stereo system doesn't seem to travel as far or penetrate as much as the billowing of a fart can. They can really invade your home. Pillow over your head, earphones, you can still hear it and through your house walls (no this isn't a poorly built or cheap house). Someone used to visit the teenage girl who used to live next door. Some douche with a fart can. Drove me nuts. He only came around a few times, but she moved out so he's never been back. THANK GAWD.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    He could have given you an "exhibition of speed" ticket as the exhaust makes the annoying noise when you're on the throttle. I got a ticket for loud tires one time. Sure I was guilty but he did not see me burning out. I was the only car on the street after he searched the area though. Maybe the street slicks gave me away, ha ha.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast