Thread: GPU-Z Now supports Ati/AMD gpu memory usage.

GPU-Z Now supports Ati/AMD gpu memory usage.

The latest GPU-Z 0.55 now supports Ati/AMD graphics card memory usage.

LINK

Memory Usage (Dedicated): graphics memory pages occupying the GPU's memory (memory on the graphics card)

Memory Usage (Dynamic): graphics memory pages occupying the system memory

In case of Radeon IGPs, "GPU's memory" would refer to the UMA area of the system memory, and "system memory" would refer to the OS-addressable system memory apart from UMA area.

GPU usage can also be displayed in osd when using techpowerup's osd server.

LINK
    2600K H2O
    MSI 7970 OC
    Asus P67 Pro
    G.Skill 2133

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I don't see the Memory Usage feature in the Sensors Tab...

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/9203/gpuzt.png

According to an attached Screenshot in one of your Links, it should look like this:

http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/11/09/01/hes.png

Strange, should be working with atleast hd 4xxx and above and with atleast 11.6 catalyst and above, from what i've seen.

Is your grpahics card non-reference? if so might be worth checking what parts are non-reference and maybe post at techpowerup regarding this issue.

According to unwinder:

Talked to my good friend Wizzard and did some research myself. Unfortunately GPU-Z implementation was provided to him by some third party under strict NDA, so we couldn't even discuss any technical implementation details.
    But it looks like it is not AMD's merit, the implementation is not AMD specific, it looks like GPU-Z uses the same newly discovered "hole" for accessling Vista driver model performance counters just like recently released ProcessExplorer 15.
    I'm actively analyzing this hole now. And gladly, I'm not under NDA so once I get it working, the implementation will also get into hands of all friendly developers and get into other products like Everest, ATT and so on
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=245
    Last edited by Protocol_48; 09-02-2011 at 10:45 AM.
    2600K H2O
    MSI 7970 OC
    Asus P67 Pro
    G.Skill 2133

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Protocol_48 View Post
    Strange, should be working with atleast hd 4xxx and above and with atleast 11.6 catalyst and above, from what i've seen.

Is your grpahics card non-reference? if so might be worth checking what parts are non-reference and maybe post at techpowerup regarding this issue.
    The Video Cards are a pair of Sapphire Radeon 5770/1 GB GDDR5 Flex, also I have an IGP too (Radeon 4200, for some reason I forget to get it on the Screenshot), and it doesn't shows on neither of the 3. I have Catalyst 11.6 and the standalone AMD APP SDK 2.5. The Video Cards BIOSes were altered with Radeon BIOS Editor to undervolt the GPU and underclock the VRAM. OS is WXP SP3.

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/3471/gpuz2.png

I have found two bugs so far (Three if you count the Memory Usage not displaying, but according to that Thread this is a Vista/7 feature), the first one is also in the 0.5.4 version. When I hover the Cursor over OpenCL or click on it, nothing happens, when supposedly a Tooltip should pop up telling me what AMD APP SDK version I have installed. This happened to me in two computers. I suppose that the reason is due to my non standard GPU setup, as in both machines I had the IGP (That doesn't support OpenCL) as main card and the a 5770 as slave. IGPs are a Radeon 4200 in mine, and a 3200 in the other one. I suppose that Memory Usage not displaying is also due to this.
    The second bug causes a crash on GPU-Z 0.5.5. I didn't checked on previous version and I'm currently trying to reproduce it. I managed to crash it at least once but didn't payed attention how, the crash happens when I'm actually closing GPU-Z.
    Last edited by zir_blazer; 09-02-2011 at 10:53 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Working good on my 6550D and 11.8 drivers

Quote Originally Posted by zir_blazer View Post
    The Video Cards are a pair of Sapphire Radeon 5770/1 GB GDDR5 Flex, also I have an IGP too (Radeon 4200, for some reason I forget to get it on the Screenshot), and it doesn't shows on neither of the 3. I have Catalyst 11.6 and the standalone AMD APP SDK 2.5. The Video Cards BIOSes were altered with Radeon BIOS Editor to undervolt the GPU and underclock the VRAM. OS is WXP SP3.

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/3471/gpuz2.png

I have found two bugs so far (Three if you count the Memory Usage not displaying, but according to that Thread this is a Vista/7 feature), the first one is also in the 0.5.4 version. When I hover the Cursor over OpenCL or click on it, nothing happens, when supposedly a Tooltip should pop up telling me what AMD APP SDK version I have installed. This happened to me in two computers. I suppose that the reason is due to my non standard GPU setup, as in both machines I had the IGP (That doesn't support OpenCL) as main card and the a 5770 as slave. IGPs are a Radeon 4200 in mine, and a 3200 in the other one. I suppose that Memory Usage not displaying is also due to this.
    The second bug causes a crash on GPU-Z 0.5.5. I didn't checked on previous version and I'm currently trying to reproduce it. I managed to crash it at least once but didn't payed attention how, the crash happens when I'm actually closing GPU-Z.

Yes, i think this might be a vista/win7 only feature, also supported by unwinder's comments (quoted in last post). I haven't got xp installed atm so can't confirm.

EDIT:

Looks like it'll be supported in MSI afterburner pretty soon too.

Done. Got access to "hole" working on my primary rig. The PC is NVIDIA GPU based so I can compare OS videomemory usage performance counter with native NVIDIA videomemory usage reported via NVAPI. The results for both paths are close. NVAPI reports a few MB more in use than performance counters accessed throgh the "hole", but considering that delta between the results remains fixed under the load I'd say that performance counter results are pretty accurate and can be just a few MB off (probably minus some additional driver caches seen to NVAPI but invisible to the counter).
    Will test it on AMD soon (but see no reasons why it wouldn't work, becasue implementation is vendor independent) and report the results.

P.S. The path is specific to Vista/W7 driver model, so it won't work under XP for sure. However, I could get it working under W7 only, but not under Vista (ProcessExplorer and GPU-Z gave the same result, i.e. no videomemory usage monitoring).

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=247
    Last edited by Protocol_48; 09-02-2011 at 03:59 PM.
    2600K H2O
    MSI 7970 OC
    Asus P67 Pro
    G.Skill 2133

Xtreme Legend
    this is not supported under xp

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Works on my A8-3850.

Quote Originally Posted by W1zzard View Post
    this is not supported under xp
    Thanks for clearing that up, W1zzard.
    2600K H2O
    MSI 7970 OC
    Asus P67 Pro
    G.Skill 2133

Xtreme Member
    works for me I always wondered how much memory was used for coin mining
    Heatware

Steve Jobs: "We're better then you are.... we have better stuff."
    Bill Gates: "You don't get it Steve, that doesn't matter."
    -Pirates of Silicon Valley

I am Xtreme
    Yep, saw this feature in ProcessExplorer (I think?) a couple of weeks ago, was wondering when it'd show up in GPU-Z. Nice!
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

^yeah it was originally introduced by process explorer.

Further update on msi afterburner from Unwinder:

More good news on videomemory monitoring:

I finished investigating why neither ProcessExplorer nor GPU-Z reported videomemory usage data under Vista. Undocumented D3DKMTQueryStatistics fuction, which they use to access internal OS VRAM usage statistics is indeed the same for Vista and W7, however its data format is completely different. Both tools seem to be reading and interpreting W7 format only. I'm having good progress with decrypting Vista specific data layout, so I'm almost 100% certain that Afterburner will support videomemory usage monitoring under both Vista and W7 on AMD cards. It is also technically possible to use DirectDraw path similar to old good RivaTuner VMEM monitoring plugins for XP, so maybe I'll add separate path for XP in future as well.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=251
    2600K H2O
    MSI 7970 OC
    Asus P67 Pro
    G.Skill 2133

EDIT:

latest update fron Unwinder regarding MSI Afterburner

Latest progress on videomemory monitoring:

Vista path is working. XP path (via old good RivaTuner vidmem plugin technology) is done too. We'll test it privately a bit then release new beta.

Alexey Nicolaychuk aka Unwinder, RivaTuner creator

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=254

Sorry, DP.
    Last edited by Protocol_48; 09-05-2011 at 03:20 AM.
    2600K H2O
    MSI 7970 OC
    Asus P67 Pro
    G.Skill 2133

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Protocol_48 View Post

According to unwinder:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=245
    it's now showing up for my two eyefinity cards in gpu-z at all. ;/
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.