Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Virginia Earthquake: ~5.8

Xtreme Member

Oh and a graph comparing the energy/power of the big quake in Japan vs the one on the East coast:

http://i.imgur.com/xcQrx.jpg

img linked instead of full posting it as it is pretty big.

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Quote Originally Posted by janus67 View Post

Xtreme Guru
    Yea I saw the original source for that joke, it was pretty hilarious, should have continued with a "WE'LL JUST REBUILD" and chair stands again!

Here were I live we're so lucky when it comes to natural disasters cuz there's NONE. No hurricanes, no earthquakes, no tsunamis or flooding, no landslides (it's virtually flat as flat can be here). Does thunderstorm lightning strikes count? Oh wait a sec, I forgot we barely have any thunderstorms in this town either, only had ONE weak and short thunderstorm this summer, it's like the clouds are always turning away from this town passing on either sides only like 10-20 kilometers away or so but never here (I'd love watching them :s).
    Last edited by RPGWiZaRD; 08-25-2011 at 09:45 AM.
    Intel? Core i5-4670K @ 4.3 GHz | ASRock Extreme6 Z87 | G.Skill Sniper 2x8GB @ DDR4-1866 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 970 OC Windforce 3x | Super Flower Titanium 1000W | ViewSonic VX2268wm 120Hz LCD | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | Logitech MX-518 | Win 7 x64 Professional | Samsung 850 EVO & 840 Pro SSDs

If all people would share opinions in an objective manner, the world would be a friendlier place

Xtreme Guru
    where at in Finland? sounds like paradise!
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post
    Yea I saw the original source for that joke, it was pretty hilarious, should have continued with a "WE'LL JUST REBUILD" and chair stands again!

Here were I live we're so lucky when it comes to natural disasters cuz there's NONE. No hurricanes, no earthquakes, no tsunamis or flooding, no landslides (it's virtually flat as flat can be here). Does thunderstorm lightning strikes count? Oh wait a sec, I forgot we barely have any thunderstorms in this town either, only had ONE weak and short thunderstorm this summer, it's like the clouds are always turning away from this town passing on either sides only like 10-20 kilometers away or so but never here (I'd love watching them :s).

I am not saying ppl freaked out, the ones i know didn't. This is why this makes such big news:
    Our houses, our buildings, our schools, our infrastructure, none of them are designed for earthquakes. our nuclear reactor was only designed to handle a 6.0 magnitude quake, and it did around that area schools had structural dmage, as did other places. in DC one school is still closed because of the damage. If anything good comes from this which it has, it means condemned houses all along the east coast are now gone for good loll.

Most of the people have never been around to see and earthquake.

In Finland if you had an earthquake, how would you react?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    So far this year, some place on the east coast of the US has been affected by flooding, earthquakes, tornadoes, terrible thunderstorms (every couple of weeks :|), and soon, a hurricane.

Does California ever get Tornadoes or hurricanes? Seems like all they get are great temperatures and frequent groundshakes. Maybe a humid day every once in a while? lol

All the quake did here was shake things around making them fall (pictures) and make cracks in my plaster walls even bigger. The ceiling is sagging in my bedroom now If it was a little stronger, i'm sure this house wouldn't have survived. Built half-assed in the 1930's, probably should be torn down. I wouldn't be surprised if this house is lowering the property values here :p Maybe it's the nice front porch?

Any idea why the quake affected the DC area so badly, compared to areas south or even west of the epicenter? I know the mountains have to have something to do with it, but we were pretty shaken up here. I almost ended up with a big CRT TV (from the 80's) on my feet during it.
    Last edited by breakfromyou; 08-25-2011 at 08:47 PM.
    Computer:
    Case: Corsair 750D Airflow Edition
    Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus X570 Ultra
    RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 2x16gb @ stock
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900x
    Graphics: Evga GTX 1080 FTW, Coil Whine edition
    PSU: Corsair RMi 650w
    Cooling: Please don't remind me. Corsair H115i w/Arctic P14 PWM fans.
    HDD: 970 Pro, 860 Evo, WD 1tb 3 platter drive (12 years old?!), etc.

I am Xtreme
    yea we get a ty storm today before the hurricane, someone really loves us. Appetizer and dinner. , and for the first time in almost 50 years, Virginia beach and ocean city have been evacuated, you'd think they were expecting another katrina. its only a category 3 tho, should be cat 2 or 1 by time it hits us.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I remember when I was 12 or so (12-13 years ago?), there was a hurricane going through--just the high wind part mainly. Hardly any rain. I went out on my bicycle and had a gust of wind make me do a wheelie, falling on my arse. Bad idea haha. Where at in NoVa are you sin0822?
    Computer:

I am Xtreme
    mclean

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It's funny that people think all these routine weather and geophysical events has some biblical significance. Only Americans would be self centered enough to think their own country is the only possible location of the second coming. Yeah, the earth shook. We exist on a living organism, an ecosystem constantly in motion for billions of years.

It's going to be crazy when standard, run of the mill planetary events start picking up again. Magnetic polar shift will make everyone flip but really it won't be that big of a deal.

I am Xtreme
    i find that really hilarious as well, i think its just ridiculous, but then again i don't really buy into any of that, nor much of anything to be honest. I believe what i see.

breakfromyou Where do you live?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Annandale In a bit of a crabby mood. I was up until 5am waiting for my neighbors to turn their damn music down.
    Computer:

Quote Originally Posted by breakfromyou View Post
    Annandale In a bit of a crabby mood. I was up until 5am waiting for my neighbors to turn their damn music down.
    Unplug their power meter from the side of their house
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Janus67 View Post

Oh and a graph comparing the energy/power of the big quake in Japan vs the one on the East coast:

http://i.imgur.com/xcQrx.jpg

img linked instead of full posting it as it is pretty big.
    I lol'd
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryR, on John Fruehe (JF-AMD) View Post
    Pretty much. Plus, he's here voluntarily.

I am Xtreme
    I hate how all the news stations made a big deal about this stupid hurricane, it did nothing. Its a joke too because I don't have power at my house.

Xtreme Member
    5.8 is nothing. Why the hassle?

I am Xtreme
    news are sensationalized.

Xtreme Member
    Happens when 70% of the populace is slightly more intelligent then a bavoon and all they care about is money and power. Sometimes forget that.

Xtreme Cruncher
    We Californians eat 5.8s for breakfast...
    Team XS: xs4s.org

Xtreme Enthusiast
    NONE of the structures here are built to handle earthquakes PERIOD. My 80 year old house didn't even take that "weak" 5.8 well at all. If there was ever even a time of California not having earthquakes around 5.8, imagine what it'd do to some hundred year old structures that were built poorly to begin with. That's why it's a big deal here.

Plaster doesn't bend (my walls), so the house get shaken about and cracks show up in the walls all over the house.

Agreed with the hurricane. It was pretty weak. Got fun around 2-3am, when the nice wind gusts came through knocking tree limbs down all over the place (and my power). My next door neighbors started their generator up at 3am, and omfg is it loud. Two nights in a row the same house of 12-15 people have kept me up because of the excessive noise they make. I have got to get out of this area.
    Computer:

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breakfromyou View Post
    Does California ever get Tornadoes or hurricanes? Seems like all they get are great temperatures and frequent groundshakes. Maybe a humid day every once in a while? lol
    never witnessed a hurricane or tornado in my lifetime, but 6.0 - 7.0 quakes happen on almost a yearly basis, I've had many times where I've woken up during a quake running for the door thinking the house was going to collapse LOL
    DJ Falcone 2x Technics SL1200 MK5, Behringer DJX750 Mixer, Alienware m17 laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by halofanman View Post
    never witnessed a hurricane or tornado in my lifetime, but 6.0 - 7.0 quakes happen on almost a yearly basis, I've had many times where I've woken up during a quake running for the door thinking the house was going to collapse LOL
    I guess your location in your profile is fitting then
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yeah. We already deal with crazy enough weather. Definitely don't want the earth trying to wipe us out in yet another way. Constantly terrible humidity, tornadoes, hurricanes, some pretty wicked thunderstorms (I guess that might be related to the humidity?), and some pretty awesome snow storms (blizzards?). We've gotten all of the above in the last year, and now that an earthquake as been added to the list of things we have experienced here...i'm not sure what else to say :P
    Computer:

I am Xtreme
    breakfromyou, i guess we get everything now but tornados lol.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    I guess your location in your profile is fitting then
    at least with a hurricane or tornado you are prepared and there are warning signs, you can go in a bunker, or flee town if its going to be a bad one, but earthquakes just randomly happen...
    DJ Falcone 2x Technics SL1200 MK5, Behringer DJX750 Mixer, Alienware m17 laptop.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast