Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: And the Bulldozer die size is……

Xtreme Member
    the articles say that instead of using an IBM cell processor, future consoles might uses bulldozer APU variants
    DJ Falcone 2x Technics SL1200 MK5, Behringer DJX750 Mixer, Alienware m17 laptop.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    No, you made a single threaded comparison then proceeded to say Bulldozer's multi threading should help.
    I can see what you mean I didn't speak too clearly, considering my comment is in an optomistic tone not sure why these retards chimed in with stupid comments .
    So looking at the shrink in a 8 core processor one would presume that these would be efficient. Meaning disable 6 of the 8 cores theoretically these should be able to compete no? Or are these cores essentially just another die shrink with 2 added cores?
    i3 2100, MSI H61M-E33. 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws.
    MSI GTX 460 Twin Frozr II. 1TB Caviar Blue.
    Corsair HX 620, CM 690, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit.

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Glow9 View Post
    I can see what you mean I didn't speak too clearly, considering my comment is in an optomistic tone not sure why these retards chimed in with stupid comments .
    So looking at the shrink in a 8 core processor one would presume that these would be efficient. Meaning disable 6 of the 8 cores theoretically these should be able to compete no? Or are these cores essentially just another die shrink with 2 added cores?
    I'm not sure if I said this before or not, but Deneb's "Stars" core is pretty close to Bloomfield on a per mm2 performance standpoint, ignoring the rest of the die.

If AMD can make size scale = performance they will surely have a competitive single thread CPU imo.
    Smile

Quote Originally Posted by halofanman View Post
    the articles say that instead of using an IBM cell processor, future consoles might uses bulldozer APU variants
    what i was getting at was, for the BD to be good on desktops it will need to work with programs made for the lowest common system that that program can be used by, so even though it can be nice and complex with many thread and complex instructions it will only be measured on a desktop platform by how fast is it doing things that a p4 dose. were on a console or server its more on how much power it actually has
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    thats not really the same as a desktop. the current consoles are on PPC with the ps3 having a full cell chip and the 360 having a 3 cores from a cell in some sort of cell and classic PPC hybrid that they got ibm to steel from the sony/ibm cell project. consoles get coded for what they have while desktops rarely get code path update for cashe use, instructions and now threading, so while its hard to find a game that uses more than 2 cores most games use atleast 3 as thats what the 360 has when they are on consoles and since the consoles are underpowered in comparison so they need to be more optimized just to get the measly 30fps 720p or lower that console games run at.
    Xbox 360 Xenon CPU has 6 Thread's (2 per core). I'm not sure if the PS3's Cell SPE units count as a thread each or it's just the 2 from the PPE that are used.

c[_]
    Xbox 360 CPU is a full core per each two-threaded core, nothing to do with cell at all.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathReborn View Post
    Xbox 360 Xenon CPU has 6 Thread's (2 per core). I'm not sure if the PS3's Cell SPE units count as a thread each or it's just the 2 from the PPE that are used.
    my point was that console code is for that platform so its measured as what its power is when optimized were desktop parts are rated as when used with code for the LCD of the platform so can it be executed on/with a p4 or dx9

Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    Xbox 360 CPU is a full core per each two-threaded core, nothing to do with cell at all.
    its a bastard byproduct of the old PPC core and the cell using a HT based interconnect to link the cores and l2 cashe, but it dose not pertain to my example other than its in existence and the platform its in is optimized for that chip, not how it works.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Member
    DJ Falcone 2x Technics SL1200 MK5, Behringer DJX750 Mixer, Alienware m17 laptop.

Xtreme Member
    AliG I never though AMD will have better performance in single core at the same frequency.
    Its unlikely if you look at the size of a module and SB core. SB core is still bigger by 10%.
    SB core to core performance against Thuban is better by 35% but the size is +70%. So I am speculating BD will be slower by 5-10% at best but with turbo 10% higher the difference will be zero or BD will be a little faster.

Quote Originally Posted by bamtan2 View Post
    that is not worded right right at all.

what you just said is the same as "AMD designed bulldozer to be slower in game benchmarks than sandy bridge", which is not correct. first of all, we don't know if BD is slower or not. second, we don't know AMD's design decisions.

if something sucks, you can't say it was designed that way. that is just crazy.
    What happened to you??? You used to be a troll monster! Anyways I for one appreciate reading a positive post by you, thanks!

There is still some waiting to do peeps. From the looks of the initial image, I don't see how everyone can assume that these "blank" areas are not being used. Look at the quality of the image, as if it was drawn instead of a closeup photo of the die. Its obviously for general reference to the layout, not a detailed transistor map.
    Rig:
    AMD FX8350
    ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
    MSI 7950 Twin Frozr 3GB
    32GB Corsair Dominator 1600
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD VelociRaptor 1TB

Water Setup:
    MCP655, EK Supreme HF Cu, Swiftech MCR-320 Rad, 1/2in ID 3/4in OD Tubing

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by TESKATLIPOKA View Post
    AliG I never though AMD will have better performance in single core at the same frequency.
    Its unlikely if you look at the size of a module and SB core. SB core is still bigger by 10%.
    SB core to core performance against Thuban is better by 35% but the size is +70%. So I am speculating BD will be slower by 5-10% at best but with turbo 10% higher the difference will be zero or BD will be a little faster.
    Sigh, you still don't understand what my point is. That's fine, I'm not losing any sleep over this
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by TESKATLIPOKA View Post
    So I am speculating BD will be slower by 5-10% at best but with turbo 10% higher the difference will be zero or BD will be a little faster.
    Yours is an educated guess because AMD is choosing the BD speeds KNOWING how fast SB is. How long has BD been in development while the competition has been out? Exactly...

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by M.Beier View Post
    AMD is pulling a FERMI....
    Talk and talk and no product untill way too late... I remember how we were discussing if it would arrive before Gulftown on this forum, and many others, now we are wondering if it will arrive before or after SNB-E....
    The die size of GTX 480 is 529 mm2. Nowhere near being close.
    And even if you look at Intel chips it does not appear to be quite as huge.

Keep in mind that this is an 8 core CPU we are talking about here.

P.S. Thuban's die size is 346 mm2...
    So much panic over nothing...
    Last edited by zalbard; 08-23-2011 at 06:34 PM.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

I am Xtreme
    ^thuban was the last of 45nm after they got yields to their peak
    starting a new node with a chip of 300mm2 is semi risky, but there will be plenty of quads to sell and they will be in plenty of demand for gamers. if the price is really 190$ for a quad and 310$ for a octo, thats not bad of a margin on something half broken, lol.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Guys, Sandy Bridge EP is EXACTLY 400mm2. It was revealed by Intel at ISSCC.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    wow, no wonder amd changed their contract with glofo to only pay for functional dies and not for wafers

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    wow, no wonder amd changed their contract with glofo to only pay for functional dies and not for wafers
    Didn't GF replace or fire the chap that authorized this, can't remember his name now...
    Work Rig: Asus x58 P6T Deluxe, i7 950 24x166 1.275v, BIX2/GTZ/D5
    3x2048 GSkill pi Black DDR3 1600, Quadro 600
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 810

Game Rig: Asus x58 P6T, i7 970 24x160 1.2v HT on, TRUE120
    3x4096 GSkill DDR3 1600, PNY 660ti
    PCPower & Cooling Silencer 750, CM Stacker 830

AMD Rig: Biostar TA790GX A2+, x4 940 16x200, stock hsf
    2x2gb Patriot DDR2 800, PowerColor 4850
    Corsair VX450

Xtreme Mentor
    Just wondering.... With a fairly large die and the modules spread apart. would that benefit cooling anything? does the cache produce much heat btw? It looks very ideal atleast if its mainly the modules that produce heat....
    Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
    Not to be outdone by rival ATi, nVidia's going to offer its own drivers on EA Download Manager.
    X2 555 @ B55 @ 4050 1.4v, NB @ 2700 1.35v Fuzion V1
    Gigabyte 890gpa-ud3h v2.1
    HD6950 2GB swiftech MCW60 @ 1000mhz, 1.168v 1515mhz memory
    Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1866 cas 9 @ 1800 8.9.8.27.41 1T 110ns 1.605v
    C300 64GB, 2X Seagate barracuda green LP 2TB, Essence STX, Zalman ZM750-HP
    DDC 3.2/petras, PA120.3 ek-res400, Stackers STC-01,
    Dell U2412m, G110, G9x, Razer Scarab

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by eXa View Post
    Just wondering.... does the cache produce much heat btw? It looks very ideal atleast if its mainly the modules that produce heat....

cool area is l2 caches and red ones are integer or fpu idk

Xtreme Mentor
    Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
    Not to be outdone by rival ATi, nVidia's going to offer its own drivers on EA Download Manager.
    X2 555 @ B55 @ 4050 1.4v, NB @ 2700 1.35v Fuzion V1
    Gigabyte 890gpa-ud3h v2.1
    HD6950 2GB swiftech MCW60 @ 1000mhz, 1.168v 1515mhz memory
    Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1866 cas 9 @ 1800 8.9.8.27.41 1T 110ns 1.605v
    C300 64GB, 2X Seagate barracuda green LP 2TB, Essence STX, Zalman ZM750-HP
    DDC 3.2/petras, PA120.3 ek-res400, Stackers STC-01,
    Dell U2412m, G110, G9x, Razer Scarab

Xtreme Enthusiast
    315mm^2... in line with previous estimations

not very bad considering it has 16MB+ total cache

Xtreme Addict
    hummm so its 3 weeks before lunch uh!

Three or four weeks--yeah. We're getting very close now.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Addict
    jah jah!!

Xtreme Addict
    If all is good and rumors true, yes second week ( or just start of the 3th week ) of september .
    CPU: - I7 4930K (EK Supremacy )
    GPU: - 2x AMD HD7970 flashed GHZ bios ( EK Acetal Nickel Waterblock H2o)
    Motherboard: Asus x79 Deluxe
    RAM: G-skill Ares C9 2133mhz 16GB
    Main Storage: Samsung 840EVO 500GB / 2x Crucial RealSSD C300 Raid0

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast