Thread: Step-by-step guide to setting up SSD caching on Z68

Xtreme Addict

Step-by-step guide to setting up SSD caching on Z68

Thought I would post a short guide on setting caching as it can be sort of confusing the first time.

First a few notes:
    1) Your caching SSD should be 64GB or less as this is the max that can be allocated. You can also use a larger SSD if partitioned.
    2) You can cache 1 HD or RAID array only so ensure you have an OS partition and games/storage partition on the HD you want to accelerate. You can cache any type of RAID array except matrix.
    3) RST takes a bit of time for the cache to get populated with your OS and utils you use most. It might not seem fast at first but it will get faster over time.
    4) Ensure chipset drivers are installed before attempting any of this
    5) If you have a Gigabyte board, use the SRT utility. It will do all this for you including the registry tweak if you didnt install Windows in RAID mode.

Enhanced mode vs Maximized mode:
    Enhanced mode is more secure because if your SSD dies you wont lose any data. With maximized mode if your SSD dies you could lose data. Basically it works like this:

With enhanced mode read perf is improved but write perf is bottlenecked by the write perf of the HD so it will be a bit slower. With maximized mode the data is written to the SSD first and then synced to the hard disk later. Thus if the drive dies before it writes to HD you lose data.

There is only a minor difference between enhanced and maximized so you have to decide if you want to risk any data of the accelerated drive for that extra 2 seconds in boot time. The difference in performance between the two is shown here.

Procedure:
    1) Plug your caching SSD and storage HD (the one to accelerate) into the Intel SATA ports. Do not use 3rd party like Marvel, it will not work.
    2) Enter BIOS, change HD mode to RAID
    3) Install OS
    4) DL the latest RST driver from Intel. Dont bother installing from mb disk, it will be outdated. Grab it here.
    5) Open RST utility, go to accelerate tab
    6) Enable acceleration, select your OS/storage drive as the accelerated drive, select enhanced or maximized mode. Enhanced is the most secure, maximized is the fastest.
    7) Reboot. If you get a message about boot options being changed or something and are unable to boot into windows go to the BIOS and check your HD priority. It often gets changed when caching is implemented so you just have to put your OS HD back at the top.

If you already have W7 installed and do not want to reinstall do this:
    1) Do not connect the caching SSD yet. First apply the following registry tweak:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Iastorv
    In the details pane, right-click "Start", and then click modify.
    In the Value data box, type 0

This registry change enables the RAID driver in Windows.
    2) Next install the raid driver.
    3) Connect your caching SSD
    4) Set up caching with RST util.

Any questions just ask. :thumb:
    Last edited by Eldonko; 01-31-2012 at 12:37 PM.
    MB Reviewer for HWC
    Team OCX Bench Team

First off, thanks for your time and energy writing this up dude.

Hope you dont mine but I need help understanding it a little more. So, traditionally, I'm use to the of 1st HD being OS/games/programs and 2nd HD storage. With the SSD caching, is the new setup: 1st SSD (64GB) caching, 2nd SSD (128GB) OS/games/programs, 3rd HDD (2TB) storage?
    Asrock x4 gen3 | 2600k @ 4.4 + hyper 212+ | sapphire 6970 xfire | Mushkin 2x4GB 1866 | Consair 1000W | Haf 932 | C300 / 2x 2TB F4
    Abit IP35 Pro | Q6600 + tuniq 120| 8800 GTS |G. Skill 2x2GB 800 | Consair 520W | Antec 900 | 2x Seagate 500GB HDD | SAMSUNG SYNCMASTER 2333SW 23" Monitor

Xtreme Addict
    If you have a 64GB SSD, 128GB SSD, and a regular HD you will want to run the OS from the 128GB and the set up caching with the 64GB with acceleration on the storage drive. Same procedure as above. Then you have your OS on a SSD and SSD speeds for your storage drive.
    MB Reviewer for HWC
    Team OCX Bench Team

Xtreme Bandwith Whore
    Did you notice speed improvements? I remember ready boost didnt do much. Curious if people ran benchmarks with the caching.

momentarydogma
    Okay, I'm tearing my hair out over this one... I didn't realize that you had to switch to RAID mode in the BIOS before installing Windows, so my system kept rebooting during Windows startup after I switched to RAID. I tried doing the registry fix that you mentioned, but that didn't work either. When I try running the RST utility, it tells me that "this computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software". I applied the registry change and installed my RAID drivers, but I can't install RST. If I go back into my BIOS (I'm using an ASUS P8Z68-M Pro) and try to change the SATA mode to RAID, I still can't boot into Windows. I've tried reinstalling three times at this point, so I'd prefer not to do that again. Is there any way to work around this, or do I need to install Windows with RAID enabled in my BIOS? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

momentarydogma
    I got antsy and couldn't wait for a response to my post, so I decided to do a re-install. Unfortunately, this didn't help at all! I apologize in advance for my ignorance-- I don't have a lot of experience with RAID setups. I have my SATA HD (3TB Hitatchi) and my SSD (32GB Hitatchi) connected to SATA ports 1 and 2 on the motherboard (both have been formatted). I switched the BIOS SATA setting to RAID mode. Boot priority favors the Hitatchi drive. When Windows setup loads, the only option for installation is the SSD, but when I try to select it, it says "setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition." If I disconnect the SSD and try installing Windows on the 3TB drive, it doesn't show any available drives in setup. If I change the SATA mode back to IDE, everything loads as normal and I can select a drive to install Windows on, but doing that would probably lead me back the same problem as before. I have updated the BIOS and don't see any additional RAID settings. What do I do now? Thanks in advance!!
    Last edited by momentarydogma; 10-08-2011 at 07:17 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Exactly I would like to know how well this caching performs and if it does make hell a lot of difference then it's pointless to buy huge capacity SSD's.

Intel Inside

momentarydogma
    Case closed on this one-- I finally realized that I had to install the intel RAID drivers during Windows setup in order for it to recognize the HD in RAID mode.
    Last edited by momentarydogma; 10-11-2011 at 03:05 AM.

Dfieldman
    Eldonko - Thank you!

And it worked for me - bringing up SRT on an MSI Z68A GD-80 - UNTIL....

Once I was up running, happy - drivers loaded - I started windows updates - and the windows easy transfer (from old pc)
    106 updates and 8 boots later - I noticed the characteristic Drives display window (offering the option to hit CTRL-I in 1.7 seconds) disappeared
    and then I checked the Smart Response tech app in Control Panel - it fails
    and then I checked the bios setting - and the SATA setting had reverted to "IDE"
    I also checked the Registry - the Iastorv value=0

-

I checked with MSI and the tech said I probably have to re-install ! But - I tried changing the SATA value to "RAID" - because why not
    And windows Blue-screened.
    I tried running the repair, and at the drivers prompt offerend the RST driver downloaded from INTEL - referenced above - but no go

So I reverted the SATA setting to IDE - and I'm up - but not SSD Caching

Any thoughts?

Xtreme Addict
    Hi there and welcome

To clarify, you had W7 originally installed with AHCI mode or IDE?

To use caching you have to be in RAID mode and if you get bsod when booting it sounds like windows update screwed your drivers up. Try DLing and installing the latest Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver and see if you can boot w/ raid mode.
    MB Reviewer for HWC
    Team OCX Bench Team

Dfieldman
    I followed your instructions PRECISELY - changing Sata to "RAID" then installing OS, mobo drivers, Intel driver, video drivers. Rebooted - and it came up gloriously, and then started windows updates, followed by Easy Transfer - and it was gone.....

Since that time.... Norton security has failed - Windows Firewall won't start - and I can't backup through windows!

So I am restarting, doing a fresh install. and I'll leave out the Easy Transfer - and update here.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Follow this guide if you're itching for even more SSD performance. I managed to scrape out another 30mb/s myself.
    Computer: Intel i7-4770k | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Impact | 240GB Corsair Force GT | 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 | 16GB G.Skill Trident X 2400MHz | EVGA GTX690 Hydro Copper 4GB | Corsair AX850 | Steelseries 7G | Logitech G500 | 27" 2560x1440 Overlord Tempest X270OC 120Hz S-IPS
    Cooling: Koolance 380i CPU block | Swiftech Hydro Copper GPU block | EK X3 150 Reservoir | EK X-TOP D5 PWM drive | PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT Bloodshed red | Alphacool NexXxos 240mm XT45 | Alphacool NexXxos 280mm UT60 | Bitspower Fittings | 4x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 120mm | 2x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 140mm | Lamptron FC-5V2
    Case: Custom modded matte black Caselabs Mercury S3

Xtreme Addict
    Yea that is quite strange, perhaps easy transfer has something to do with it. If you are installing fresh ensure you install in RAID mode and you wont have to deal with registry.

Quote Originally Posted by Dfieldman View Post
    I followed your instructions PRECISELY - changing Sata to "RAID" then installing OS, mobo drivers, Intel driver, video drivers. Rebooted - and it came up gloriously, and then started windows updates, followed by Easy Transfer - and it was gone.....

Since that time.... Norton security has failed - Windows Firewall won't start - and I can't backup through windows!

So I am restarting, doing a fresh install. and I'll leave out the Easy Transfer - and update here.
    MB Reviewer for HWC
    Team OCX Bench Team

Dfieldman
    A fresh install using raid mode was a no-go. Windows could not detect my drives. I had the Drivers you pointed to above on a USB stick at the ready and tried them when Windows offered the LOAD drivers option - but Windows was disinterested.

So I disconnected the ssd. I reverted to IDE once again. Installed Windows, drivers, apps - selected specific items on easy transfer and I'm up and running.

So I'm searching now for how to implement the Smart Response technology WITHOUT reloading everything. I notice your post indicates I can change a single Registry entry.
    What's unclear is the sequence.

Assume I have an operating windows environment on a Hard drive with Sata 3 ports (6GB) SATA set at IDE.
    1. Can I switch to a sata setting of AHCI or RAID on the mobo and boot back safely into windows?
    2. If I switch to a sata setting of AHCI or RAID from IDE and boot fails - CAN I SWITCH BACK to IDE?
    3. If I have backedup my drive image while Sata was at IDE, and successfully bring up the system on AHCI or RAID - is my backup still pertinent, and vice versa?

From your excellent post:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Iastorv
    In the details pane, right-click "Start", and then click modify.
    In the Value data box, type 0

This registry change enables the RAID driver in Windows.
    2) Next install the raid driver.
    3) Connect your caching SSD
    4) Set up caching with RST util.

Any questions just ask. :thumb:

This suggests - I can NOW (windows up and operational with Sata at IDE on the Mobo) -
    a) change the registry setting -
    b) install the driver -
    c) shutdown -
    d) install the ssd -
    e) CHANGE SATA TO RAID on the MOBO -
    f) reboot and execute the intel RST util......

I am FIRST going to reconnect the SSD while still in IDE mode - and just verify it's operational.

Xtreme Addict
    Yup, that is the sequence. I suggest trying the below and see what happens. You are sure you are using the Intel ports for the SSD and drive you want to cache right? Ive never had an issue installing Windows in RAID mode..

Quote Originally Posted by Dfieldman View Post
    This suggests - I can NOW (windows up and operational with Sata at IDE on the Mobo) -
    a) change the registry setting -
    b) install the driver -
    c) shutdown -
    d) install the ssd -
    e) CHANGE SATA TO RAID on the MOBO -
    f) reboot and execute the intel RST util......
    Last edited by Eldonko; 02-02-2012 at 09:51 AM.
    MB Reviewer for HWC
    Team OCX Bench Team

Dfieldman
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
    Yup, that is the sequence. I suggest trying the below and see what happens. You are sure you are using the Intel ports for the SSD and drive you want to cache right? Ive never had an issue installing Windows in RAID mode..
    - - - Y E S - - -

ELDONKO you ROCK! (how DO we THANKS btw?)

OK - just a note, for others in the same boat

My attempt execute the INTEL driver FAILED after making the registry change - system not suitable (summary of message)
    I rebooted - changed SATA setting from IDE to RAID - continued after saving
    the raid screen appeared - I did NOTHING - but I noticed my HDD was listed as DISABLED
    the boot failed - no hard drive
    I rebooted and hit CTRL-I at the raid screen - and had an "R" option to reset the HDD
    Windows came UP !
    I applied the SRT drivers
    restarted
    Windows came UP
    I executed the Intel SRT APP
    Windows applied an update
    I restarted
    - -
    ----------It is UP AND WORKING !

I'm so happy I'm considering taking a break from hitting my head against the wall and having lunch.

Thanks Eldonko - thanks
    (and How DO I post a thanks in the forum?)

Xtreme Addict
    Glad you got it sorted, cheers
    MB Reviewer for HWC
    Team OCX Bench Team

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the write up. Helped me get this up and running.

Hi all,

Thanks for this informative thread. My previous Z68 configuration was similar to the above; however, recently on booting I was getting a blue screen with a "REGISTRY_ERROR" message, and subsequently couldn't perform a repair install (the OS wasn't being detected at all). So since then I've purchased an additional - 128GB - solid state drive.

Now I'm planning the following:

* 128GB SSD drive with OS installed on it
    * 1TB HD with programs installed, accelerated usingb 60GB SSD

Should I set my bios to RAID before I insert the 128 GB and install the OS onto it? Then, afterwards, insert the remaining driver and activate SRT?

Regards,

P.

Dfieldman
    Quote Originally Posted by oceanclub View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks for this informative thread. My previous Z68 configuration was similar to the above; however, recently on booting I was getting a blue screen with a "REGISTRY_ERROR" message, and subsequently couldn't perform a repair install (the OS wasn't being detected at all). So since then I've purchased an additional - 128GB - solid state drive.

Now I'm planning the following:

* 128GB SSD drive with OS installed on it
    * 1TB HD with programs installed, accelerated usingb 60GB SSD

Should I set my bios to RAID before I insert the 128 GB and install the OS onto it? Then, afterwards, insert the remaining driver and activate SRT?

Regards,

P.
    My understanding is that if you are running the SSD as your boot drive there's no benefit to accelerating it with SSD cache.

Sad to hear about the boot error, I KNOW there is a registry entry for SRT. As I posted, though maybe not clearly, I encountered the problem that the recovery option (booting from the Windows install media) didn't see my OS either. I used an IOLO repair disk to re-enable the DRIVE, and re-install.

If you have an SSD that can comfortably hold the OS, and an HDD for data - it might be easier and no slower to skip SRT.

(one old man's opinion)

Dfieldman
    I forgot to answer YOUR question - sorry

If you have a new fresh drive for the OS, then follow the instructions in the first post, Turn ON raid and install the OS.

I had a single 2TB boot & files HDD, cached with a 80GB SSD using SRT.
    My motherboard is Intel DZ68BC.
    After many years of fast service, my cached/accelerated HDD died.

I was able to install a new drive and recover, thanks to whole-disk backup from NAS. In the process, SRT disk cache has become disabled, and I can't figure out how to re-enable it.

Here's my current state:
    * I placed the new HDD in same SATA port as failed HDD was. SSD also same port as before.
    * Going into the BIOS, I confirm my SATA controller is still set to RAID.
    * If I go into the RAID controller BIOS with [Ctrl]-I, both SSD and HDD are listed with status "Non-RAID"
    * When I open the Intel RST application in Win10, both HDD and SSD are listed separately. The option to accelerate/SRT is no longer available.

How do I re-enable SSD caching from here?

I read the posts from Eldonko and Dfieldman, but it seems my starting point is different.

I learned RST application (and associated drivers) for Win10 are not compatible with my Intel DZ68BC motherboard.

The last version of iRST compatible with my Mobo will install in Win10 and show the "Accelerate" tab for SRT. You can launch the request for the HDD to be accelerated, but for my system, this process ends in either a BSOD, or error pop-up from RST stating it was unable to complete the operation. Asking for compatibility mode for RST didn't help either.

Windows 10 didn't warn of any incompatibility when I ran its system compatibility check. SRT was in place and appeared to be running fine before and after Win10 upgrade...for many months.
    My best guess is upgrade installed Win10 drivers for RST, which may be fine some operations, but the RST application is unable to setup SRT on Z68 board.
    The reason I got a new drive to start with was associated with corrupted files indexes, requiring constant chkdsk fixes (but not resulting in bad sectors being identified)....I thought this was early HDD death (only ~3yr use on this drive), so I decided to replace. I now wonder if the active SRT install on unsupported HW & OS may have been the source of these corruption issues.

I found a post claiming to successfully tweak around this to make it work:
    http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-har...tml#post433155
    ...but I question the wisdom of hacking your way of such sensitive components as RAID/disk drivers.

At this point, I may have to decide between suffering through my slow system in hopes intel will release a future RST/SRT drivers and rescue my MB, or just ditch SRT altogether and fork out $ to buy an SSD to dedicate to boot drive.

Thoughts?