Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: All not well in QDC land....[Koolance QDC manufacturing problem?!?]

Silent User
    I have the same problem than you, I though it was something normal due to the fact that when you disconnect two QDCs for a fraction of second you leave a little space from one to the other and littles drops of water go out, then you have your two QDC's perfectly disconnected and they don't leak anymore cause they are sealed again.

Looking in your thread made me change my mind and then yes, I have the same problem than you with VL3N model male and female bought on February 2011, black o-rings; how works rma with koolance? You have to mail them or the online shop where you bought the QDCs?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by miahallen View Post
    How long ago were they purchased?
    I bought 2xMale and 2xFemale in March 2011. Both males and one of those females are still in my loop since march to present. I replaced one of the females which was a straight piece with a 90 degree female as I simply needed it to make my loop neater. I bought that 90 Degree female connector at the end of May 2011.

I've disconnected / reconnected them about 6 times total since I've had them and no drips yet. The female fittings I have are the VL3N-F10S (x2) and VL3N-F10L (x1).

Xtreme Addict
    You know, the problem with these style fittings in low pressure applications such as this is that the spring carries more tension. In a pneumatic system, the air pressure helps keep the system sealed. Without that high pressure, the spring is carrying the full load.

Thus disconnecting and reconnecting multiple times will wear the mechanism, and without high pressure to assist the mechanism, it drips. This should have been incorporated into the mechanism design to account for the small pressure load.
    Regards, Stew.....

- This message brought to you by Frank Lee E. Snutz

World Champion - IRONMODS
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie007 View Post
    You know, the problem with these style fittings in low pressure applications such as this is that the spring carries more tension. In a pneumatic system, the air pressure helps keep the system sealed. Without that high pressure, the spring is carrying the full load.

Thus disconnecting and reconnecting multiple times will wear the mechanism, and without high pressure to assist the mechanism, it drips. This should have been incorporated into the mechanism design to account for the small pressure load.
    Even my connections which are in a box not connected to anything right now and doing the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Massman
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.
    [CENTER]The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Addict
    Interesting. How many people have gone to koolance about this? And are they responding?

If people are answering that they have and Koolance is not responding then it would seem that they aren't deserving of business.....
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Member
    Lubricate it helps ?? i have 3 pair im going to use...
    FS: MM UFO Horizon Black + Clear Side/Top

Xtreme Mentor
    Koolance will let you RMA them all day long, but as I stated before, $5 for shipping each time you have to ship something to them adds up and adds to the cost of ownership. I let them pile up and do one RMA to cut down on shipping, however in the meantime I am not using an item I paid for.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Quote Originally Posted by QuadSLI View Post
    Lubricate it helps ?? i have 3 pair im going to use...
    With what? You don't want grease, oil, etc in your loop.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    With what? You don't want grease, oil, etc in your loop.
    I have 1 VL4N-F13 [female] of 2 , that will cut the male o ring in half if you do not wet\lube with water the male before inserting\locking , not worth sending it back I only use them to disconnect my exterior loop and drain.
    -I treat them with respect , not like a headphone jack or a electrical plug, slowly align them softly push them together if they don't go in ,I try again. if you force it it will cut the o ring.
    MVF WC ||3770k-KL370||CM932||AX1200||580 sli -EK||
    3XMCR320\w655 EK[basement]||w655 EK[HAF932] || VL4N||MR||2xfan controllers || 9 x S-Flex F -[rads]
    8gb Trident 2400||Samsung S27A850D||Win7HP-64||2x120gb G2 R0 OS||2x150Vraptors R0-backup|| G15,G13||G9x
    PC sound>forte analog>Yamaha 765>4xPSB alpha B1>alpha C1>10" sub [very clean sound].+sens PC360

I've had o-ring problems in the past....but that's a different discussion
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by UNTAMED View Post
    I have 1 VL4N-F13 [female] of 2 , that will cut the male o ring in half if you do not wet\lube with water the male before inserting\locking , not worth sending it back I only use them to disconnect my exterior loop and drain.
    -I treat them with respect , not like a headphone jack or a electrical plug, slowly align them softly push them together if they don't go in ,I try again. if you force it it will cut the o ring.
    Yeah, I usually will wet them before inserting them since I use to have that issue with the old QD's, but this is the metal inner ring that is sticking and it is already wet from the water leaking out.

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Xtreme Addict
    How long ago were they purchased?
    Within a year. Ditto on cutting the oring.

If the springs are losing tension when left in an unused state, would it be better to leave them coupled? </noob question but I'm not certain>
    Last edited by CedricFP; 08-19-2011 at 02:22 PM.
    -

"Language cuts the grooves in which our thoughts must move" | Frank Herbert, The Santaroga Barrier
    2600K | GTX 580 SLI | Asus MIV Gene-Z | 16GB @ 1600 | Silverstone Strider 1200W Gold | Crucial C300 64 | Crucial M4 64 | Intel X25-M 160 G2 | OCZ Vertex 60 | Hitachi 2TB | WD 320

Quote Originally Posted by CedricFP View Post
    Within a year. Ditto on cutting the oring.

If the springs are losing tension when left in an unused state, would it be better to leave them coupled? </noob question but I'm not certain>
    No, I simply meant that ones not connected in a loop show the same behavior....that is not to say that they have not been used.....all of my fittings have had heavy use, I use them on my benching rig and they will often be connected/disconnected several times a day. I pretest all my benching HW on water because of the crazy price of LN2 here

Heat Team IRONMODS

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Utnorris View Post
    Koolance will let you RMA them all day long, but as I stated before, $5 for shipping each time you have to ship something to them adds up and adds to the cost of ownership. I let them pile up and do one RMA to cut down on shipping, however in the meantime I am not using an item I paid for.
    RMA'ing something like a fitting should be done just w/ pictures. Having to pay shipping to RMA such a small and cheap product like a fitting is kind of silly.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    RMA'ing something like a fitting should be done just w/ pictures. Having to pay shipping to RMA such a small and cheap product like a fitting is kind of silly.
    You would think that, but each time I have had to send the fittings back for replacements. I don't mind doing it once in awhile, but I have already done two RMA's with Koolance this year, no it's not a lot, but more than any other manufacture of water cooling that I have owned in all the time I have had water cooling. Now I get to do it again and will probably have to do it a couple more times as I discover issues. Now throw in the time I spend taking my loop down since I cannot just remove the fitting and it really starts to add up. Anyways, this is more of a rant than anything. I get Koolance and Swiftech stuff because they are based in the U.S. and have good tech and RMA service. If I had to ship a fitting back to Europe or Asia it would just get thrown in the trash and that would be one less manufacture that I would buy from.

Desk Build

W/C System

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by UNTAMED View Post
    Quick Disconnects are supposed to be designed for ease of use; taking care is always good, but having to baby them to get em to work seems a bit ridiculous for a ~15 dollar a piece fitting.
    Regards, Stew.....

My issue is not the price of the fittings, but the price of all the HW the fittings are expected not to leak on

Heat Team IRONMODS

I am Xtreme
    Hi Miahallen,

Can you PM me your RMA number for the fittings? Our RMA tech today did not remember receiving the pictures you posted.

Thanks,
    Tim

Xtreme Addict
    My issue is not the price of the fittings, but the price of all the HW the fittings are expected not to leak on
    Of course. I was just referring to the individual product. It carries a premium next to other fittings.
    Regards, Stew.....

Xtreme Member
    Man I finally decided to get myself several sets of the VL4N's and now I see this !!! I hope they get the issue fixed. Mine have not arrived yet but I will for sure keep a close eye on them and post back my finding after several disconnects.

Intel Core i7-2600K---> Koolance 370
    3 X EVGA 480 GTX SC's Watercooled--> Koolance VID-NX480 blocks, HWLabs GTX 480, Liang D5 Vario
    Koolance RP-45X2 Reservoir
    Corsair Obsidian 800D
    Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 MB
    SILVERSTONE ST1500 1500W PSU
    16G CORSAIR DOMINATOR-GT (4 x 4GB) PC3 12800
    2 X Kingston HyperX SH100S3B/120G SATA 3 in RAID 0
    1 X WD Caviar Black 1TB
    Dell 3007 WFP-HC
    Z-5500's
    Windows 7 64bit

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Section8 View Post
    Man I finally decided to get myself several sets of the VL4N's and now I see this !!! I hope they get the issue fixed. Mine have not arrived yet but I will for sure keep a close eye on them and post back my finding after several disconnects.
    Same exact situation here! I was pondering for a year to take the plunge into QDCs and now that I did I find this! Bah! Mine arrive in the next day or two so I wonder what the situation will be. I better not have to RMA them. Damn it!

I'm getting mine so that I can swap CPU blocks out easily for testing and also to be able to switch back and forth between watercooling and phase with minor effort so I cannot say that these will be seeing very "minor" use.

Xtreme Member
    Question for all those who had sticking problems:
    Did you guys ever run any 'cooling fluid', additives or dyes in your loops?

I figure maybe some invisible residue from the additive/dye,
    could be drying/sticking to the o-rings or contact areas when disconnecting and reconnecting many times,
    which causes the moving surfaces to get 'sticky' and stick open..

I haven't had any problems with my 2 sets of VL3N fittings sticking open.
    Cycled them about 10 times over the past 2 years.
    Running only on pure distilled + silver kill coil.
    Last edited by zads; 08-25-2011 at 08:53 AM.
    "Red Dwarf", SFF gaming PC
    Winner of the ASUS Xtreme Design Competition
    Sponsors...ASUS, Swiftech, Intel, Samsung, G.Skill, Antec, Razer
    Hardware..[Maximus III GENE, Core i7-860 @ 4.1Ghz, 4GB DDR3-2200, HD5870, 256GB SSD]
    Water.......[Apogee XT CPU, MCW60-R2 GPU, 2x 240mm radiators, MCP350 pump]

Xtreme Addict
    well since nearly all premixed liquids has stuff in them to lubricate the pump some how i don't think if they did it would make a difference. I don't see any lubrication in just water ..... 0_o (btw when i say nearly all it doesn't mean all of them).
    Mayhems Lastest News -> https://www.facebook.com/Mayhems2009

If you need to direct contact me its michael at mayhems dot co dot uk.

Xtreme Member
    After seeing a couple posts at OCN and Koolance own forums about Koolance Quick Disconnect leaking problems...I knew my experience was not isolated.
    http://www.overclock.net/water-cooli...?highlight=qdc
    http://forums.koolance.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1724 (post #3)

I now have 10 males and 8 female QDC VL3N series quick disconnections used in various applications. The first set I bought about two years ago, the females are still working fine today. However, I recently bought a bunch of new sets, and the new female connectors have all failed. To be clear....the new connectors worked fine for the first few months over dozens of connect/disconnect operations. But now, the spring loaded mechanism meant close the valve in the female end no longer closes completely, allowing the connection to drip when disconnected (see the images below).

edit - I have verified the problem is not related to low loop pressure.

I suspect a minor change in manufacturing that is causing the long term failure of these parts. Tim [Koolance] eluded to a change in manufacturing tolerances last year (post #8).

If I am correct, Koolance should issue a recall on these parts. In the mean time, be sure to check your connections within the 1 year warranty period and get RMA replacements if yours connectors are showing similar problems. If you are already outside the warranty period, please be careful with your connectors when breaking your systems down to prevent leaking on your HW

Here is a shot of my older QDC, both female fittings have been serving me well for about two years now.

Here is a shot of the newer QDC failing to seal properly....all of my newer female QDC fitting do this consistently now.

Also, I need your comments please, let us know if you have older/newer QDC fittings, and whether or not you've seen similar issues.
    I'm having the exact same problem with the new ones I just purchased... purchased because the old ones started leaking. Now these leak when disconnected in exactly the same spot. The female side inner plug doesn't seat at all.
    i7 920@4.0 Ghz | Asus Rampage III Extreme | 12GB Corsair Dominator 15000
    ATI Radeon 5870 x2 | Samsung LN55B650 55" 1080p + Samsung LT4665N 46" 1080p LCD TVs
    Koolance CPU-350/Vid-AR587 on Koolance ERM-2K3U
    Zalman HD160XT HTPC | Intel X25-M 160GB SSD + 2x VelociRaptors | Thermaltake Toughpower 1200w PSU

Xtreme Addict
    ^ How many disconnects total?
    -

"Language cuts the grooves in which our thoughts must move" | Frank Herbert, The Santaroga Barrier
    2600K | GTX 580 SLI | Asus MIV Gene-Z | 16GB @ 1600 | Silverstone Strider 1200W Gold | Crucial C300 64 | Crucial M4 64 | Intel X25-M 160 G2 | OCZ Vertex 60 | Hitachi 2TB | WD 320

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast