Thread: I Need Help With Tapping Holes For 6-32 and M3 Screws: Confused With The Dimensions

I Need Help With Tapping Holes For 6-32 and M3 Screws: Confused With The Dimensions

I am very confused about the dimensions for the UTS 6-32 and M3 described in the following 2 tables:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Thread_Standard
    http://www.tribology-abc.com/calculators/metric-iso.htm

I measured the major diameter of a standard (6-32) screw commonly used in PCs in the picture below,

and find that it is less than ~3.5052mm.

Could someone please tell me how to tap a hole for these two type of screws?

Thanks,
    nawk
    Intel Core i7 990x (Extreme Edition) @ 4.67GHz
    Asus Rampage III Extreme
    Corsair Dominator GT 1866MHz CL7 12GB
    EVGA Geforce GTX295
    Corsair HX1050W PSU
    Koolance Exos-II with CPU-350 water block using 1/2" tubings
    Dell UltraSharp 3008WFP
    Ultra Aluminus Case (custom mod)
    8 x 120GB Patriot Wildfire
    4 x Hitachi UltraStar 1TB
    Linux & Windows 7

Xtreme Member
    Well first, you need the correct tap. You can buy then in the "tap and die" section of home depot, OSH, lowes, etc.
    Then you need to take the material into account. if it is sheet metal, then you will need to punch the hole in. If it's acrylic, thicker metal, magical fairy hide (O.o) then you can tap it with a pilot hole directly. The taps should come with a guide for telling you how big to make the pilot hole, then you just tap it slowly, backing it out every few revolutions and use some oil or water. For this size, clean the tap whe you back it out, or bad things may happen....

For thin sheet metal, drill a REALLY small hole, punch it through with god knows what, then tap into that. If you look at your case, you'll be able to see what I am talking about, the screw goes into a hole that has been "mushed" so it is thicker than the actual material.

edit

Also, there are threaded inserts available if you cannot, or don't feel up to tapping. I have heard great things about helicoils for sheet metal use.
    Last edited by anachlores; 08-17-2011 at 11:27 PM.
    Excessive and overwhelming tactical response

Getting the correct tap is what I am concerned about. As you can see, the screw in the picture is a common screw found in PC assemblies. According to the wiki article this kind of screw is referred to as a UTS 6-32. Details indicate that it's got a major diameter of 0.1380 inches (equivalently 3.5052mm) but after measuring the major diameter myself (as you can see in the picture above) it's more like 2mm.

Am I not understanding correctly? Could someone who've tapped holes for these types of screws UTS 6-32 and M3 please tell me which tap to use?

I basically need to drill and tap four holes in the aluminum h.d.d cage for the Lian Li EX-H34S enclosure.

Thanks,
    Nawk
    Last edited by nawk; 08-17-2011 at 11:46 PM.
    Intel Core i7 990x (Extreme Edition) @ 4.67GHz
    Asus Rampage III Extreme
    Corsair Dominator GT 1866MHz CL7 12GB
    EVGA Geforce GTX295
    Corsair HX1050W PSU
    Koolance Exos-II with CPU-350 water block using 1/2" tubings
    Dell UltraSharp 3008WFP
    Ultra Aluminus Case (custom mod)
    8 x 120GB Patriot Wildfire
    4 x Hitachi UltraStar 1TB
    Linux & Windows 7

I am Xtreme
    Don't worry about major diameter so much. For starters, your measuring the end of the screw which hardly is ever to spec for these types of screws. . .secondly, your links fail to mention any tolerancing in the charts, which there is always something. Just use the drill sizes specified for the sizes you plan on using and a "plug" tap and you'll be fine.

btw, my credentials are "former machinist of 12 years".
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Addict
    You just need a 6-32 tap, and drill set (has the tap, and the correct drill bit). Get it at your local hardware store.
    Sandy Bridge 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.28v | MSI p67a-gd65 B3 Mobo | Samsung ddr3 8gb |
    Swiftech apogee drive II | Coolgate 120| GTX660ti w/heat killer gpu x| Seasonic x650 PSU

QX9650 @ 4ghz | P5K-E/WIFI-AP Mobo | Hyperx ddr2 1066 4gb | EVGA GTX560ti 448 core FTW @ 900mhz | OCZ 700w Modular PSU |
    DD MC-TDX CPU block | DD Maze5 GPU block | Black Ice Xtreme II 240 Rad | Laing D5 Pump

Xtreme Legend
    If the metal that you are trying to tap is very thin (or even if it is not) then you might consider Rivnuts. Similar to fit as a pop rivet but once fitted already has the thread ready for those screws

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!