Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ARM Motherboards

Xtreme Member
    I wonder why any of these SBC manufacturers don't make dual or quad core a9/a15 arm based boards with 4, 6 and 8 sata port configurations? I guess they don't seems to realize how big market they are missing out? All those DIY NAS builders out there waiting for truly low power light weight NAS solution.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by stuffme View Post
    I wonder why any of these SBC manufacturers don't make dual or quad core a9/a15 arm based boards with 4, 6 and 8 sata port configurations? I guess they don't seems to realize how big market they are missing out? All those DIY NAS builders out there waiting for truly low power light weight NAS solution.
    I'm right there with ya on that. I think it has (mostly) to do with the available connectivity options on most of the available SOCs. Most of them don't have PCIE, and the ones that do usually have a tiny number of lanes and/or crappy slow CPUs. USB is the most you get in most cases and, until recently it was 2.0 spec. And, to make matters worse, the very same USB controller that powers the ports is also home to the Ethernet controller and other stuff.

Once we start getting SOCs (and, more excitingly, non-SOCs) that aren't targeted at phones the market should really open up.

--Matt
    Last edited by mattkosem; 10-14-2013 at 03:33 PM.
    My Rig :
    Core i5 4570S - ASUS Z87I-DELUXE - 16GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-2400 - 256GB Plextor M5 Pro Xtreme

Xtreme Member
    I like my odrioid-xu, replaced an old desktop with it and it's nice and fast even with a full linux desktop. I just wish could work out how to overclock it, I'm not experienced enough at making custom kernels.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TeVCFiv.jpg 
Views:	665 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	131544

Xtreme Addict
    have you got probe heat readings with that heatsink on?

that bad boy should be able to allow 2.00Ghz,

maybe the boys over at XDA have already have a kernel to suit exynos 5 Octa that would require little mod to none to get the desired result.

**edit, otherwise you can do some hard mods at the back of the pc, since there is an Overvolt module you might be able to tap into.

Maybe vince kingping might be able to help, if you can get him to give you some of his precious time that is.
    この世界には 人の運命を司る 何らかの超越的な 〝律〝...... 〝神の手〝が 存在するのだろうか? 少なくとも 人は 自らの意志さえ 自由にはできな

Xtreme Member
    Cooling isn't that great due to PoP chip design, having a ram module between the die and heatsink is like intel haswell TIM. With air cooling you can never get much bellow 70c under load. You need an odroid specific kernel to boot linux so I would have to build that one rather than using one from XDA. I actually found a voltage and clockspeed table in the kernel sources but I don't understand how these SoCs generate their clock speed and if it has to be multiples of 200mhz etc.

Xtreme Addict
    have you tried running android 4.xx on it?
    この世界には 人の運命を司る 何らかの超越的な 〝律〝...... 〝神の手〝が 存在するのだろうか? 少なくとも 人は 自らの意志さえ 自由にはできな

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kuroikenshi View Post
    have you tried running android 4.xx on it?
    Yeah it runs both linux and android 4.2, android overclocking programs still appear to rely on the kernel for selecting clockspeeds though.

Xtreme Member
    I have also been looking into HTPC with these SBC boards, but the only thing that is stopping me to jump in is that you cannot calibrate your colors with i1display pro colorimeter. Even though you can install linux one of these arm soc boards, you need the software to support those architectures also. I guess I'll have to x86 one more time and buy haswell or baytrail basec NUc or something.

Would be nice to be able to watch 1080p mkv videos only like 2w power consumption. Now you are limited to x86 and the lowest you can do is like 30w.

Xtreme Addict
    Would be nice to be able to watch 1080p mkv videos only like 2w power consumption. Now you are limited to x86 and the lowest you can do is like 30w.
    Not sure where you get these numbers from? Haswell NUC consumes under 25W at full load (I guess it would be ~10W for video). Baytrail should consume much less. But with Gen8 graphics you're getting proper 24p frame rate, good postprocessing features and hardware encoder (not sure if these features are available with arm chips)
    http://missingremote.com/review/intel-nuc-kit-d54250wyk

Xtreme Addict
    I have also been looking into HTPC with these SBC boards, but the only thing that is stopping me to jump in is that you cannot calibrate your colors with i1display pro colorimeter. Even though you can install linux one of these arm soc boards, you need the software to support those architectures also.
    I see at least one open source Linux app that supports that hardware. Using it in arm Linux is just a compile away. I even see arm packages for it on some distros.

http://dispcalgui.hoech.net

--Matt
    My Rig :
    Core i5 4570S - ASUS Z87I-DELUXE - 16GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-2400 - 256GB Plextor M5 Pro Xtreme

Xtreme Member
    AMD's Opteron A1100 8-core ARM A57 is almost ready ...

Now waiting for Tegra K1 devkit

A step forward to my 100W 64-core 5Ghz / 5TFLOPS+ APU desktop dream
    Last edited by jogshy; 01-29-2014 at 08:21 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'll wait for the dual or quad socket boards to come out with a 16 core per chip. Need a new cruncher.
    Last edited by bearcatrp; 01-29-2014 at 05:11 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by jogshy View Post
    Looks like the perfect basis for a homebuilt NAS...

Xtreme Addict
    Woot! Can't wait!
    My Rig :

Xtreme Member
    Tegra K1 devboard available for only 192$ !

Tegra K1 Quad Core A15 SoC with 192 Kepler GPU cores, 2Gb DDR3, USB 3.0, SATA, eMMC/SD card, mini-PCIE, GigaLAN, audio.
    Runs Ubuntu Linux, OpenGL 4.4, CUDA 6:

https://developer.nvidia.com/jetson-tk1
    Last edited by jogshy; 03-25-2014 at 10:52 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    @jogshy
    Not bad, a good find there .

Not perfect though, could use more usb ports, scrap the vga and the internal connectors.
    Needs 2x micro sd cards.
    Otherwise it's pretty nice looking, that tegra chip is awesome.

Peeps are saying it's a 5w tdp for that chip.
    That is the chip I want in my phone lol .

Xtreme Member
    Tegra K1 devboard available for only 192$ !

Tegra K1 Quad Core A15 SoC with 192 Kepler GPU cores, 2Gb DDR3, USB 3.0, SATA, eMMC/SD card, mini-PCIE, GigaLAN, audio.
    Runs Ubuntu Linux, OpenGL 4.4, CUDA 6:

https://developer.nvidia.com/jetson-tk1
    This looks quite good, a shame they went with 2gb of ram though, that's the biggest limitation I have with my odriod-xu. Can you boot these with a generic kernel or does it need a special tegra one?

Xtreme Member
    Yep, I couldn't live with only 2Gb ... but probably the Denver dual-core 64bits version is on the way soon with 4Gb, according to this:

and, yep, I think it uses a specially-optimized kernel:

https://developer.nvidia.com/linux-tegra-rel-19

NVIDIA should make a desktop 100W version of that asap
    Last edited by jogshy; 03-29-2014 at 11:32 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    You all new this was coming.. and here it is! A water cooled Pico-Itx system!

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton

Xtreme Addict
    ^ VERY Sexy !!
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's

Xtreme Enthusiast
    So, which board is that? +1 to the sexy
    Xeon E3-1245 @ Stock | Gigabyte H87N-Wifi | 16GB Crucial Ballistix LP @ 1600Mhz | R7 260x | Much and varied storage

Xtreme Addict
    Looks like an VIA EPIA PX-10000. Interesting project, but not sure it has anything to do with arm boards.

--Matt
    Last edited by mattkosem; 04-06-2014 at 08:45 AM.
    My Rig :

Xtreme Member
    Does really need an ARM Soc to be watercooled?

Xtreme Addict
    Since when has 'need' ever come into the equation @ XS
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's

Xtreme Addict
    It's not an ARM board as far as I can tell. I guess only time will tell, though.

--Matt
    My Rig :

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast