Thread: F.E.A.R. 3 coop and benhcmark tool?

F.E.A.R. 3 coop and benhcmark tool?

Planning to do a coop on LAN with my friend, playing F.E.A.R. 3 this weekend. Anyone has done it? Any errors you'd like to tell me?

Also, is there a custom benchmark tool for this game?

Xtreme Addict
    no issues here... played and finished with my friend the last week....

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I haven't played coop, but I've beaten the game on all difficulty modes as both Pointman and Fettel. I didn't even really start using slow mo a lot until I played on Insane mode. Playing as Fettel is fairly easy, it's like doing a speedrun because it keeps him stronger if you quickly collect souls after killing each enemy, a bit like Painkiller in that respect. Also when Fettle is hurt bad he'll just pop out of the body he's in and then be recovers quite a bit. The bodies he possesses sort of protect his own health.

Reviews will lead you to believe playing solo on higher difficulty modes is too hard, but it's not. In fact I've been trying to find a way to play on Insane with a fresh start using no level ups. In my testing so far it appears to be the user.profile file that stores the info unlocking Insane mode. I can delete the saves and the Stats.bin file and still play on Insane, but it doesn't clear the level up rank. When I delete the user.profile file though, Insane is locked. What's worse is I can't find a way to open let alone edit the user.profile file.

I do like the level up system, but once unlocking Insane I'd like the option of wiping it clean so I have to earn those ranks over again on Insane. So until someone comes up with a way to edit the user.profile file for this game, we'll have to play Insane with added health, reflex, regen, grenades, ammo, and kick perks that carry over from a previous play through. There's a pretty comprehensive scoring system though. I made "Dev High Score!" on one level, the last level playing as Pointman.

The sp/coop game is fun if you can deal with how extremely short it is and dated in graphics. The movement and controls can also feel sluggish at times. Playing as Fettle makes it feel a bit longer, but since you can posses bodies and use weapons, and you're playing through the same exact levels you do as Pointman, there's still a lot of repetition.

The only place I found it a bit frustrating was the last indoor part of the Port level where you have to press a rolling metal door button and wait for it to slowly open. There's a small room on the other side you need to get to which you can enter as soon as the door is high enough, but you can't click the door closed from inside until it's open all the way. Meanwhile the Scavengers are endlessly spawning in waves. It was easy as Fettel, but on Insane as Pointman, I ended up resorting to tactics I don't normally use to effectively use and conserve slow mo and grenades.

FEAR 3 Scavenger

If you want to try a challenging game that has good firefights and coop play, try Kane & Lynch 2. I played it only on solo. I've beaten it a few times on Extreme, but it can be tough in places. Instead of having grenades like K&L 1, you can shoot and throw explodable objects like fire extinguishers and fuel bottles. It also has a unique animation where you get knocked down prone and have to crawl to cover if you're hurt bad. K&L 2 is a very visceral, exciting game IMO, hope they make a K&L 3. It's a TPS vs FPS though, so those biased toward FPS style may not like it.
    Last edited by Frag Maniac; 08-12-2011 at 11:07 AM.

Does it use the same engine as FEAR 2?
    CPU: Phenom II X4 940
    HSF: Rocketfish POS
    Mobo: DFI/Sapphire Pure 790X
    RAM: Mushkin 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 1066@400mhz (5-5-5-18)
    HDD1: Velociraptor 150GB
    HDD2/3: WD Caviar Blue 250GB/Seagate Barracuda 160GB
    Optical: Pioneer 215D
    Video: Asus 6950 2GB
    Audio: X-Fi Fatality Professonal
    Misc: Logitech G15/G5/Razer Piranha
    Case/PSU: TT Dokker/TT Toughpower XT 775W
    Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster BX2235
    Drivers: Newest

Forgot to reply. I was so disappointed that coop is NOT AVAILABLE in TCP/IP LAN, only through online steam. One of the main reasons to drag the whole friend's PC was the idea of playing offline LAN..

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I don't know Artas, I think this game would be way too easy for you on coop.

FEAR 3 probably is the most stable first person shooter i have played. Two reasons why:

1) At 1600x1200 resolution, and all settings set to max, except AA, it runs smooth at 30 FPS on an outdated card like 8800GTS 512 Mb!! But only 5 FPS with AA.
    2) It does not need to run over 30 FPS in order to feel smooth - just stable 30 FPS.

In comparison Necrovision (which uses year 2004 pain engine) lags at 30 FPS on 8800GTS 512 Mb, and in order to feel smooth gameplay, no less than 60 FPS must be drawn due to the nature of engine. In FEAR 1, AA was the only real video card killer. AA remains the dominant factor in FEAR 3 too. Even HD6870 is showing no more than 35 FPS with AA on my monitor, while stable 60 FPS without AA.
    Last edited by Artas1984; 11-24-2011 at 10:37 AM.