Thread: what to get now on tmobile US

what to get now on tmobile US

im torn on what to get between the g2x, slide 4g and sensation.

the g2x has a better gpu and flash acceleration but no ram and a slow cpu, the slide and sensation have crap gpus but a little better cpu and alot more ram with the slide having a keyboard and the sensation having a giant high rez screen.

the g2x already has a perma root and custom roms but since its tegra the custom roms arnt that great and its an lg so there will be no support from them once its outdated were the other 2 are htc so they will get long term OEM support and htc said that they would unlock the bootloader so they will get custom roms soon even if no1 cracks it.

im buying tomorrow or saterday as i want the $10 data plan thats being removed on sunday (i was waiting for a galaxy s2)
    Last edited by zanzabar; 08-11-2011 at 02:35 PM.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    I've been using the Sensation for a review, my only complaints are the speakerphone, lack of hardware camera button, and iffy battery life.

if you're hell bent on getting a phone, I personally would say its a crapshoot between the G2X and Sensation. They're both very similar but the G2X does 1080P video...
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

they both do 1080p 30fps video, they are killing the $10 a month unlimited plan so yah i guess im hell bent on it since i dont want to spend $20 per line when i dont want data to start with.

im really torn since both have 128MB of video memory dedicated but the g2x has 512MB of total ram and that seams like not enough to last for 2 years when the new back that with be ICS native stuff will be 1GB+ as the flagships are now but tmobile seems to think that the 768 in the htc devices is enough

should i be concerned about the lack of hardware flash acceleration with the snapdragon 2

edit- costco will let me trade in whatever phone i get within 30 days and since they get phones at launch and the galaxy s2 is out on the 29th hopefully it will end with one of those in a couple of weeks.
    Last edited by zanzabar; 08-12-2011 at 02:31 PM.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    im torn on what to get between the g2x, slide 4g and sensation.

the g2x has a better gpu and flash acceleration but no ram and a slow cpu, the slide and sensation have crap gpus but a little better cpu and alot more ram with the slide having a keyboard and the sensation having a giant high rez screen.

the g2x already has a perma root and custom roms but since its tegra the custom roms arnt that great and its an lg so there will be no support from them once its outdated were the other 2 are htc so they will get long term OEM support and htc said that they would unlock the bootloader so they will get custom roms soon even if no1 cracks it.

im buying tomorrow or saterday as i want the $10 data plan thats being removed on sunday (i was waiting for a galaxy s2)
    A dual 1GHz core is "a slow cpu"???

I'm very happy with my g2x so far. I find it to be very snappy. For everyday use I don't have any problems with anything. I'd say the main issue with this phone, and perhaps others, is making the battery last. If you use it like a phone with "smart" functions that you use "reasonably" it'll last you fine. At least a day, maybe two. If you're always gaming, watching videos, browsing, using location services etc then you'll drain the battery in less than a day.

But I think it's a great phone. It at least beats the iPhone 4's that my friends have in nearly everything.....

Actually one more negative you should check out: I'm not liking the camera. For a camera on a phone it's certainly very good, but to me pictures seem a bit grainy at times. The iPhone takes better pics with a lower-res camera in my opinion.

A plus for a "tweaker" though could be that it's "vanilla" Android installed, not some skinned version, if that appeals to you...
    Win XP Pro x64 / Win 7 x64 / Phenom II / Asus m3a79-t Deluxe / 8x2 GB GSkill and some other stuff.....

i went and got the g2x, it was free (or $50 in tax.) and i was saying slow since the tegra is not a vary quick cpu its like a 900mhz qualcom. but it should be great since its s-off (or u can flash it, im not in for all the terms yet) and if i really dont like it i will just sell it and pay the $200 or so difference and get a nexus when the next one is out.

I am Xtreme
    tmobile does have some nice options for phones
    [SIGPIC]http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af195/wcgsig/566162.gif[/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    i went and got the g2x, it was free (or $50 in tax.) and i was saying slow since the tegra is not a vary quick cpu its like a 900mhz qualcom. but it should be great since its s-off (or u can flash it, im not in for all the terms yet) and if i really dont like it i will just sell it and pay the $200 or so difference and get a nexus when the next one is out.
    Just curious how that's measured though... After all it's a dual-core 1GHz, right?
    Win XP Pro x64 / Win 7 x64 / Phenom II / Asus m3a79-t Deluxe / 8x2 GB GSkill and some other stuff.....

no sleep, always tired TheGoat Eater's Avatar
    Sensation 4G is great but rooting and modding is a lot more complicated than it is on the SGS Vibrant. I love the design job that HTC did on the Sensation but the back cover is a bit of a pain sometimes lol. Overall I think until Hercules this is the phone for the power user lol. But then that is my opinion after upgrading and using it and modding it - downtown Des Moines at work by the window is about 6 down and 1.6 up . So it takes a bit to get used to but I love it and there are great cases for it only $4~ on Amazon as I got like 5 cases to just weed out one good one or two good ones

@ Walmart B&M store it was $99 with contract and since I was adding a line to mine for my dad (job discount yippie!) I will give him my old Vibrant and put on a reliable slim ROM, and now have the Sensation for myself lol
    Last edited by TheGoat Eater; 08-21-2011 at 07:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MattiasNYC View Post
    Just curious how that's measured though... After all it's a dual-core 1GHz, right?
    so far the g2x sucks battry i get about 30-35hours on standby and i dont thnk that that is enough, so im looking to root and then change the cpu voltage profiles just to make it work properly and get a day of normal use out of it. i dont know what the other phones do but im not happy with the battry but i havnt broken it in and seams to get better each charge. the screen is great looking, its an ips so i like it for videos/games better than an amoled or the pva s-lcd thats gained popularity now, the trgra2 is nice for the gpu and the stock rom on it is stock android with speed tweeks and a better camera app. so the phone is great except the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoat Eater View Post
    Sensation 4G is great but rooting and modding is a lot more complicated than it is on the SGS Vibrant. I love the design job that HTC did on the Sensation but the back cover is a bit of a pain sometimes lol. Overall I think until Hercules this is the phone for the power user lol. But then that is my opinion after upgrading and using it and modding it - downtown Des Moines at work by the window is about 6 down and 1.6 up . So it takes a bit to get used to but I love it and there are great cases for it only $4~ on Amazon as I got like 5 cases to just weed out one good one or two good ones

@ Walmart B&M store it was $99 with contract and since I was adding a line to mine for my dad (job discount yippie!) I will give him my old Vibrant and put on a reliable slim ROM, and now have the Sensation for myself lol
    the sensation has a locked boot loader so u have to hack it to get roms and perma roots, were the galaxy stuff (and the g2x) are unlocked natively. HTC has a tool on their dev site (or its out soon) that will make the sensation s-off so it will make it easy to flash roms.
    Last edited by zanzabar; 08-21-2011 at 11:34 AM.

Xtreme Member
    so far the g2x sucks battry i get about 30-35hours on standby and i dont thnk that that is enough, so im looking to root and then change the cpu voltage profiles just to make it work properly and get a day of normal use out of it. i dont know what the other phones do but im not happy with the battry but i havnt broken it in and seams to get better each charge. the screen is great looking, its an ips so i like it for videos/games better than an amoled or the pva s-lcd thats gained popularity now, the trgra2 is nice for the gpu and the stock rom on it is stock android with speed tweeks and a better camera app. so the phone is great except the battery.
    Well, I'm still curious as to why you'd think the CPU isn't really fast since there aren't that many phones around that are faster.

As for the battery life I sort of agree with you, but it all depends on how you use the phone though. When you write "normal use" then that to me is no problem at all. I get at least a full day of "normal use" out of it, even two.

The changes I've done to cut down drain if I need more stand-by time are:

- Lower screen brightness. I have my slider under the "A" in "Automatic" when you set it manually.

- Turn off Wifi, Bluetooth, Auto Sync and Background Data (in the settings sub-menu) and Location via GPS/GSM.

- Set screen time-out to pretty quick.

i have the screen set to 15%, its an IPS so u have to use the back light all the time unlock an amoled and 15% is lower than the auto goes at its lowest ass it bottoms at 25%

i have blue tooth off, and wifi set to run with wifi calling and the cell radio dissabled, then when i go anyware i turn the wifi off and the cell radio comes on, i have background data off and gps off.

i have the screen time out at 30s but i dont leave it on when im not using it so its not a big deal.

for normal use im using about an hour of web browsing or non 3d games, like 20 txts and ~5min on the phone. with the cpu, im not saying its slow, its quick but most things are single threaded so while the gpu is awesome the load times are not that great when doing things like converting media steams or filtering contacts and it scores low for single threaded cpu benches (also not a big deal.) the slow is alot like comparing and intel to an amd right now, the intel comes clocked a little higher and runs a little better clock for clock but the gpu on the amd is much better but then at the end of the day they do the same thing in the same amount of time.

Xtreme Member
    Certainly sounds like normal and moderate usage to me. With that usage I get at least a day out of it. Probably a day and a half to two days. I'm wondering if it's your Wifi setting that messes with it. I never use Wifi, not even for calling, so I'm thinking that may be a difference. I know people have experimented with it but I can't remember what they said about it.

Screen brightness is about the same as for me I guess.

As for gaming, well, it really depends a lot on the games how much power your consuming. Chess I can play for a long time.... graphic intensive games.... not so much...

And as for the speed of the CPU: Well, I guess there are faster ones out there, but in my opinion this phone simply offered the best package for the price. The other phones either had custom ROMs that I didn't care for, or higher prices, or on networks with more expensive plans or lower data rates etc....

Hope you'll learn to like it though.