confirmed by Bethesda via twit
    https://twitter.com/#!/Bethblog/stat...28388499709952

edit BF3 to use origin:
    Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin

DRM.png

original title:
    i put 'might' because its not being confirmed, but its very likely:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...nternet-debate
    "In the end, it's better for everybody," he said. "Imagine picking up a game and it's automatically updated. Or there's something new you didn't know about, and you didn't have to click away. It's all automatically there. But it does take juggernauts like [Diablo 3] to make change.

"I'm a big proponent of always connected. I'm always connected. Our fans are always connected.

"There will be a few people who will resent the fact you have to be online to play a single-player game. But it'll change."
    probably 80% chance that it will have this draconian DRM
    Last edited by Philip_J_Fry; 08-13-2011 at 01:38 PM.
    "Thanks for the f-shack. Love, Dirty Mike & The Boys" - from Dirty Mike & The Boys

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Will it be only for PC?
    We can't whine about not having exclusive features....

Wanna look under my kilt?
    You want RAGE? You got it
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Xtreme Addict
    Who cares, from what i've seen of all the videos it looks a very average game, the graphics don't look spectacular the gameplay looks pretty poor and its just another story about monsters

Xtreme Addict
    Not buy
    I'll give my money to other developer.

it may just be an updater like bc2 or witcher 2 or any other recent non steam locked and non securom/uplay game. its a single player game so why would they try it as u dont persist in the world with other users its just u.

and why do people bring d3 into this crap, d3 is online only since its using battle net for the game to play so people cannot mod characters and so u get consistent loot, persistent players and so the auction house can work. its not drm its an ORPG like diablo 2 was (if u wanted it to work.) its not like starcraft were people lan it off line since its non persistent, if u were to lan d2 u still ran battle net and went online the lan was for yelling at people across the room and looking at other people screens not to host lag free like a pvp game would be.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip_J_Fry View Post
    RAGE 'might' include always on DRM
    This may give a new meaning to the title of the game, especially for those whom play while commuting or live in rural areas.

Administrator
    I have a bad feeling that this form of DRM is going to be popping up more and more. And in order to make it even better they will keep character data on servers so it can't be hacked.

Seems that as soon as Bliz made it known that they are doing this with D3 it's going to become more wide spread as other developers jump on the band wagon.

Xtreme Member
    well now we know their intention, maybe they will use steam instead of UBI's always on DRM (like driver). i sincerely hope they use steam ...
    "Thanks for the f-shack. Love, Dirty Mike & The Boys" - from Dirty Mike & The Boys

Quote Originally Posted by Philip_J_Fry View Post
    well now we know their intention, maybe they will use steam instead of UBI's always on DRM (like driver). i sincerely hope they use steam ...
    id was bought by bethesda and they have done 2 games in a row now with steam
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

Xtreme Member
    while we are it, heres more:

Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin

DRM.png
    Last edited by Philip_J_Fry; 08-11-2011 at 07:11 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    I'm sure that's the reason they pulled BF3 from Steam.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
    I have a bad feeling that this form of DRM is going to be popping up more and more. And in order to make it even better they will keep character data on servers so it can't be hacked.
    Only if we support them. I won't buy any game that uses this DRM. I might start seeding them actually.

i will be skipping bf3 if i have to register with origin and if it deletes my account/game if i dont use it.

DRM = fail. If devs just make good, QUALITY games in the first place pirating WILL go down. Case in point: I bought games like Oblivion and Bioshock because they are GOOD GAMES. I also bought (recently I might add) Tropico, Tropico2 and Tropico3 because they are GOOD GAMES. On the other hand I've pirated games like Stalker COP and Crysis because I was curious about them, but they are buggy as hell. If a dev makes a good quality game, they get my money, if they don't.. they can swivel on a sharp stick.

"Prowler"
    Asrock Z77 Extreme6 | i5 3570k @ 4.5GHz 1.18v | 2x4GB PC12800 Ripjaws @ 1866MHz 10-10-10-15 1T 1.55v | Gigabyte GTX980, custom cooler @ 1.5GHz / 7.6GHz | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 2x Sony Optiarc | Corsair 850w HX

Cooling:

3x Coolermaster Sickleflow 120mm 70CFM fans | Modified CoolIT ECO sealed loop CPU cooler | Custom made "The Judge" VGA VRM heatsink

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread

(\_/) This is Bunny.
    (+.+) Bunny is dead.
    (^ ^) Copy and paste Bunny into your sig to create an army of BUNNY ZOMBIE MINIONS!!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    People are so childish. Who cares if it requires Origin? Or if RAGE requires always on internet. Who the hell isnt connected to the internet on a computer they play modern games on? Stop complaining about every little thing people.
    himynameisfrank
    Flickr

i7 2600K @ 4.4Ghz
    Corsair Hydro H80
    MSI Z68A-GD80
    EVGA GTX580 x 2 SLi
    Corsair XMS3 1600 12Gb
    Corsair HX850w
    OCZ Agility 3 SSD x 3 RAID 0
    Creative X-Fi Titanium / Astro A40 Audio System
    Corsair Graphite 600T SE White
    DELL U2410 24" IPS Panel

^ Post containing most fail of the year?

Judges ruling?

"Prowler"
    Asrock Z77 Extreme6 | i5 3570k @ 4.5GHz 1.18v | 2x4GB PC12800 Ripjaws @ 1866MHz 10-10-10-15 1T 1.55v | Gigabyte GTX980, custom cooler @ 1.5GHz / 7.6GHz | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 2x Sony Optiarc | Corsair 850w HX

Cooling:

3x Coolermaster Sickleflow 120mm 70CFM fans | Modified CoolIT ECO sealed loop CPU cooler | Custom made "The Judge" VGA VRM heatsink

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread

(\_/) This is Bunny.
    (+.+) Bunny is dead.
    (^ ^) Copy and paste Bunny into your sig to create an army of BUNNY ZOMBIE MINIONS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheCarLessDriven View Post
    People are so childish. Who cares if it requires Origin? Or if RAGE requires always on internet. Who the hell isnt connected to the internet on a computer they play modern games on? Stop complaining about every little thing people.
    so i have comcast and i get dced for a few seconds every couple of hours, now if i say play AC:B with uplay it will shut me out when i go comcastic and i have to restart. with rage being a sandbox game that would suck as im sure it wont save constantly.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    so i have comcast and i get dced for a few seconds every couple of hours, now if i say play AC:B with uplay it will shut me out when i go comcastic and i have to restart. with rage being a sandbox game that would suck as im sure it wont save constantly.
    Thats your's and your IP's problem. Take it up with them.
    himynameisfrank
    Flickr

i7 2600K @ 4.4Ghz
    Corsair Hydro H80
    MSI Z68A-GD80
    EVGA GTX580 x 2 SLi
    Corsair XMS3 1600 12Gb
    Corsair HX850w
    OCZ Agility 3 SSD x 3 RAID 0
    Creative X-Fi Titanium / Astro A40 Audio System
    Corsair Graphite 600T SE White
    DELL U2410 24" IPS Panel

Quote Originally Posted by TheCarLessDriven View Post
    Thats your's and your IP's problem. Take it up with them.
    how is the drm scheme using that my ISP's problem, no1 has consumer service that dose not do that were i am (u have a pick of concast or broken ass ATT), and i know cox, road runner and turner all have the same problem. so with your idea it should be only people who live were fios happens to go or were/if u can get a biz adsl line u should be able to play games. making it use steam is one thing as that works offline if your connection drops or is out for the day but when u have internet shudder and u basically crash to desktop thats ridiculous.

i really want rage but if its a game were i have to crack it to make it work then i will not be buying it (that includes a 100% internet up time requirement for a single player game and securom/secudisk or whatever else sony is calling that rootkit now with or without activation or GFWL)

Xtreme Member
    apparently it doesnt have always on DRM

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...ou-Buy-It-Used
    " Later, in the same interview, he confirmed that while Rage will include its own brand of online pass, it won't include always-on DRM. That doesn't mean we won't see it in other games id Software works on in the future,
    but this is the original interview:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-out-interview

c[_]
    /BF3.

/Rage.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUU
    Heatware || 01.01.08; AND 111.2%

Dead Z7S-WS? Click!. || XS Z7S-WS Thread || Current Dead Asus Z7S-WS count: 26+ ($15,000 in dead motherboards).
    All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.
    Want to use my Anti-asus logo? Go ahead, but use this link please!: http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/a...sus/noasus.gif
    Bring back the game. http://reclaimyourgame.com/. EA are mean.

Xtreme Member
    well it jsut keeps getting better

http://www.shacknews.com/article/697...use-steamworks

Steamworks .. cheers! not the UBI DRM

so this Tim Willits guy advocating always on, but doesnt put this kind of DRM in the game that he's directing. good
    Last edited by Philip_J_Fry; 08-12-2011 at 06:58 PM.

i honestly dont think that people know what the difference from all of the platforms are and just see that steam is online and always on so it must mean that steam requires an always on connection.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I love Steam, only go online for multiplayer games, does not start with windows if you tell it not to. "Offline Mode"
    But... a friend of mine lives out in the boonies. He doesn't play multiplayer and his dialup can't even handle the Steam updates much less a constant connection. He gets dropped a dozen times before a Steam update can finish. It less trouble to drive into town and rent a motel room with broadband once a year to update his computer and no, dialup is all that is available where he lives. So a constant connection is impossible. The Offline Mode works for him so he can still play singleplayer games.

Pie assassin
    steamworks isnt really a drm... the drm is the non-obtrusive CEG
    Current Status - Testing & Research

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast