Thread: Xtreme's SSD Reccomendation Please

Xtreme Member

Xtreme's SSD Reccomendation Please

Hey guys I've been reviewing and researching SSDs for a little bit now but still can't decide on what I want. I have managed to let money burn a hole in my wallet for a while now but I think advice from members here will help me take the plunge. In terms of space I want at least 120GB, I might not even need that much but I figure I'm better off, if budget needs to be known I thought about buying a Revodrive X3 which costs roughly $700. With my current board I am limited to sata 2.0 which is a shame but I will be upgrading whenever Ivy Bridge drops so that's not a huge deal.
    If anyone is interested in fitness and/or nutrition hit me up if you'd like advice getting your girlish figure back I'm nearing 10 years of experience, how time flies.

Xtreme Infrastructure Eng
    The 128GB Crucial M4 would be a fine choice. If you're willing to spend ~$700, consider a LSI 9211-8i for 6gbit and another M4 for raid0.
    Less is more.

Xtreme Guru
    m4 is a fine choice.
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!

Xtreme Member
    Probably going to go with either the M4 or maybe Kingston's HyperX after reading around and recommendations here.
    If anyone is interested in fitness and/or nutrition hit me up if you'd like advice getting your girlish figure back I'm nearing 10 years of experience, how time flies.

Admin
    At the ~$215 mark, I'd probably go for the m4, too. At the ~$240 mark, I'd go with the Intel 510 120GB. Then the next bump up would come at ~$290, with the Wildfire/Max IOPS/Chronos Deluxe 32nm SF-2200s.

I am Xtreme
    +1 for M4 if you're planning to move to SATA3.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Member
    Vapor and Zalbard, thanks for the replies! So I've been looking around most of the day reading about SSDs and it seems that the SF controllers are still unstable. What drives me and should drive others away from the Revodrive is the idle power consumption of 13.5w, that's quite a bit in comparison to other options. UGH, if Fry's has a good sale on something recommended here I'll take the plunge but if not I'll order a single 120GB M4 to hold me over. I feel as if I never should have read reviews on any of the drives =/

Xtreme Addict
    Just make sure you use a trim capable OS with the M4, as garbage collection is handled only during long sequential writes (IIRC).
    -

"Language cuts the grooves in which our thoughts must move" | Frank Herbert, The Santaroga Barrier
    2600K | GTX 580 SLI | Asus MIV Gene-Z | 16GB @ 1600 | Silverstone Strider 1200W Gold | Crucial C300 64 | Crucial M4 64 | Intel X25-M 160 G2 | OCZ Vertex 60 | Hitachi 2TB | WD 320

Xtreme Member
    Update: I just pulled the trigger on a Kingston Hyper X 120GB drive, Newegg has them priced for a deal I couldn't resist. $244.99 with free shipping and a mail in rebate for $30.00 so as long as everything works out I'll get a pretty good drive(from what I've read) for $215 bucks. Yay, I still have my fingers crossed everything will work right =/

Despite what you guys recommended I went against the grain. So just saying sorry about that, I do appreciate the replies and info given though
    Last edited by th3pwn3r; 08-19-2011 at 06:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by th3pwn3r View Post
    Update: I just pulled the trigger on a Kingston Hyper X 120GB drive, Newegg has them priced for a deal I couldn't resist. $244.99 with free shipping and a mail in rebate for $30.00 so as long as everything works out I'll get a pretty good drive(from what I've read) for $215 bucks. Yay, I still have my fingers crossed everything will work right =/

Despite what you guys recommended I went against the grain. So just saying sorry about that, I do appreciate the replies and info given though
    I just purchased a 128GB m4 for $177 shipped this morning, no mail in rebates.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigretard21 View Post
    I just purchased a 128GB m4 for $177 shipped this morning, no mail in rebates.
    That's a damn good deal too. Solid SSD there.

Xtreme Member
    Isn't the Kingston HyperX a virtual clone of the OCZ Vertex 3? Does it suffer from the same problems (BSOD, freezing etc)?
    Intel S1155 Core i7 2600K Quad Core CPU
    Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3 Socket 1155
    DDR3 16GB (4x4G) G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz RAM Kit
    128GB Crucial M4 2.5" SATA 3 Solid State Drive (SSD)
    2TB Western Digital BLACK edition 64M SATA HDD
    1TB Western Digital Green 64M SATA HDD
    NVIDIA GTX560 1GB Gigabyte OC PCIe Video Card
    23.6" BenQ XL2410T 3D LED Monitor
    CoolerMaster RC-922M-KKN1 HAF Mid ATX Case Black
    Thermaltake 775 Watt Toughpower XT ATX PSU
    LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray Writer
    Corsair Hydro H70 High Performance Liquid Cooling System

Xtreme Member
    As far as I know they don't suffer the same issues but perform at top of the pack which is why I bought the drive. I'll definitely let everyone know if it does give me hell though.

Admin
    AFAIK, all SF-228x drives have the potential to suffer the same issues. Not sure if any of the vendors are doing anything different/special with PCB, components, or firmware

I think we hear the most about OCZ problems because they seem to sell the most and people seem to like to complain about OCZ

I picked up a 120GB SF-2281 with 32nm Toggle NAND and have had zero issues with it as my primary drive (but I am on an X58 3gbps port for now).

Xtreme Member
    Fair enough. I was thinking of an OWC 120GB but keep worrying about potential SF problems. I'll probably end up going with an M4 or Intel just to be safe.

cheers
    Intel S1155 Core i7 2600K Quad Core CPU
    Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3 Socket 1155
    DDR3 16GB (4x4G) G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz RAM Kit
    128GB Crucial M4 2.5" SATA 3 Solid State Drive (SSD)
    2TB Western Digital BLACK edition 64M SATA HDD
    1TB Western Digital Green 64M SATA HDD
    NVIDIA GTX560 1GB Gigabyte OC PCIe Video Card
    23.6" BenQ XL2410T 3D LED Monitor
    CoolerMaster RC-922M-KKN1 HAF Mid ATX Case Black
    Thermaltake 775 Watt Toughpower XT ATX PSU
    LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray Writer
    Corsair Hydro H70 High Performance Liquid Cooling System

Xtreme Mentor
    The primary objective of a storage system is data integrity. Anything else is a bonus. I have to say that both my V2 & V3 have behaved faultlessly, but I would not trust either when it comes to data I care about. Even if you back up you can still be exposed to data loss. For client use I don't think SF drives offer an overall advantage, so I don't see a benefit that would be worth sacrificing reliability for. (Not that I would do that even if there was a benefit).

Xtreme Cruncher
    Overall performance and value, definitely the M4.

I'd still take the Intel for reliability.

Sent from my GT-I9000M using Tapatalk

Yin|Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5-B3|Swiftech XT -> GTX240 -> DDC+ w/ Petra's|2600K @ 5.0GHz @1.368V |4 x 4 GB G.Skill Eco DDR3-1600-8-8-8-24|Asus DirectCUII GTX670|120 GB Crucial M4|2 x 2 TB Seagate LP(Raid-0)|Plextor 755-SA|Auzentech Prelude 7.1|Seasonic M12-700|Lian-Li PC-6077B (Heavily Modded)

Squire|Shuttle SD36G5M| R.I.P.

Xtreme Guru
    considering 128gb m4's going for $150 bux I think its a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by trans am View Post
    Wow, where did you find that price? The cheapest I'm able to find as of this morning is $179.95 from B&H.
    Less is more.

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Gogeta View Post
    Wow, where did you find that price? The cheapest I'm able to find as of this morning is $179.95 from B&H.
    That's still a really good price

With the m4's new price and new firmware, damn it's hard to look at any other SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post

With the m4's new price and new firmware, damn it's hard to look at any other SSD
    Absolutely! If only I had a good reason to replace my 80GB G2.
    Less is more.

I am Addicted!
    Quote Originally Posted by trans am View Post
    +1 to this. I bought 1, then realized I did have enough for 2 after it was too late

Quote Originally Posted by Gogeta View Post
    It was a deal through buy.com; They are oos now. seems that $180-190 will be the normal avg selling price. ewiz/superbiiz always has them around this price with coupons

Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post

I do not know if they are doing in on purpose, but I agree that M4 is currently the best drive to get especially for the price. The firmware locks it in
    XTREMESupercomputer: Phase 2
    Live up to your name - May 1 - 8
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team