i am looking at upgrading my SSD from an OCZ Vertex 2 to either a SandForce based 22xx drive or a Crucial M4. I like the speed of the SF based drives but am worried about their reliability especially in view of the recent BSOD bug.

I have been reading reviews and users comments of the OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G SSD which is a SF 22xx based drive and I can't find any mention of them suffering from the BSOD bug.

I also read on their website the following:

"If you have an OWC SSD, though, you don’t need TRIM. The SandForce controller in our SSDs takes care of this “garbage collection” as well as performs various other tasks that keep your drive running at optimal speed, without the drop-off that you see with other brands. Especially note page two of this performance testing expert’s report where he feels so strongly about TRIM’s inefficiency that he calls call it “half-baked”…and that’s the kid friendly version of the phrase.

In fact, enabling TRIM could actually hurt the performance and reliability of your OWC SSD, rather than help it."

i know that applies to a MAC (am still waiting to hear back from OWC if it applies to Win 7) but it had me thinking "Are all SF 22xx based drives the same?". OWC offer a 5 year warranty which is all well and good but I am not interested in having to continually RMA my drive if it fails.

Is it possible that OWC have produced a better, more reliable SF22xx SSD or is it just hype and if one brand suffers from a certain problem then all SF22xx SSDs will regardless of make?

If I can be sure the OWC SSD will be as reliable as the M4 then I will go for it otherwise I'll have to settle for the M4.