Thread: Swedish man who was arrested after trying to split atoms in his kitchen

Xtreme Addict

Cool Swedish man who was arrested after trying to split atoms in his kitchen

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/828...to-split-atoms

A Swedish man who was arrested after trying to split atoms in his kitchen says he was only doing it as a hobby.

Richard Handl on Wednesday said that he had the radioactive elements radium, americium and uranium in his apartment in southern Sweden when police showed up and arrested him on charges of unauthorised possession of nuclear material.

The 31-year-old Handl said he had tried for months to set up a nuclear reactor at home and kept a blog about his experiments, describing how he created a small meltdown on his stove.

Only later did he realise it might not be legal and sent a question to Sweden's Radiation Authority, which answered by sending the police.

"I have always been interested in physics and chemistry," Handl said, adding he just wanted to "see if it's possible to split atoms at home."

The police raid took place in late July, but police have refused to comment. If convicted, Handl could face fines or up to two years in prison.

Although he says police didn't detect dangerous levels of radiation in his apartment, he now acknowledges the project wasn't such a good idea.

"From now on, I will stick to the theory," he said.
    Hail to the DIY

I am Xtreme
    I guess he doesn't have radiation training..tsk tsk

Xtreme Addict
    The more concerning thing is how did he get hold of the radioactive material in the first place?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Mid UK. Lift a few rocks, eventually you will find me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubar View Post
    The more concerning thing is how did he get hold of the radioactive material in the first place?
    Smoke Alarms -- Americium-241. It's a very tiny amount that's in smoke detectors, it would take 3 million smoke detectors to produce a gram of the stuff. Americium-241's critical mass, the amount required to support fission and thus create a nuclear device is 80kg.

He would have to dismantle 240,000,000,000 smoke detectors for his attempt to be considered a real threat. It is highly radioactive though, with a half life of 432 year it decays to Neptunium-237 by emitting alpha particles and gamma rays.
    Fun Box: Asus P8Z68-V GEN3++Corsair AX850++i5 2500k@4.5Ghz-1.272v++Corsair A50++2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance++MSI R7970 Lightning++Audigy2 Plat-EX++TBS 6280 DVB-T2 tuner++256Gb OCZ Vertex 4.500Gb Caviar Black.500Gb Seagate Barracuda++Sony AD7240s++Lian-Li PC-60++Linux Mint/Win 7++Asus P238Q

Work Box: Gigabyte H61MA-DV3++Corsair HX620++i5 3450@stock++2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance++120Gb OCZ Agility 3++Linux Mint

Quantum theory in a nutshell: It's so small we don't know where it is, it could be here, it could be there.

Just 'cos it's legal don't make it right.

c[_]
    hmm.. gonna be a big hit to the @home reactor crowd...

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Member
    Soon there will be global arrests for folding proteins
    Cmndt. Eric Lassard: What is the most frustrating thing about police work?
    Tackleberry: Not being able to carry hand grenades, sir.

of the Strawhat crew.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry View Post
    Soon there will be global arrests for folding proteins
    You're giving them ideas!!

XtremeSystems BF3 Platoon - Any XS member is welcome.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubar View Post
    None of those are that hard to get a ahold of except maybe radium, you could still find it but it would be by luck if you found something with it in it.

You don't actually need any sort of radioactive material to make a reactor though...
    We've known that since maybe 70-80 years now.
    I can't remember the design name though, I must have the page saved somewhere on my drive, but it's not something I should be posting anyways ^^.

Edit:
    So I don't look like a fool talking shiz, here's what I "think" what I was mentioning before (don't blame me if the thread gets locked though...):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusor
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polywell
    Last edited by NEOAethyr; 08-04-2011 at 02:53 AM.

Copenhagen, teh capital village of the World. Hillerød, Malmö
    Boys & toys...

I wonder why the Swedish Radiation Authorities called the police, instead of explaining to him that what he was doing is illigal... and isn't it too expensive for a man like him, to make nuclear weapons that actually worked?
    *Gape & Ponder*

(\_/) This is Bunny.
    (+.+) Bunny is dead.
    (^ ^) Copy and paste Bunny into your sig to create an army of BUNNY ZOMBIE MINIONS!!!

Xtreme Addict
    Under normal cercumstances, no.
    You'de need you're own hydrogen plant to get enough heavy water to make pure enough uranium or plutonium.
    The latter would likely not be possible under the norm.
    The 1st, well, there is still a classified bomb spec (shot gunning) that uses just uranium and isn't complicated to build.

In either case it takes something like the scale of a gov to implement the avg 2 stage bomb, a single stage bomb you'de never get access to enough material these days without someone knowing even if you are a gov.
    I'm guessing, given what they used at the fukushimi plants, not even a country liek japan can get access to enough high grade uranuim to make a single stage one.

I'm sorry.. the whole idea is retarded splitting atoms in your kitchen and it hurts my brain more that supposedly smart people take the stereotypical dumb persons panic button move and call the cops instead of just sending a team to take the materials and explain it is indeed illegal.

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

6x 140mm LED fans, 1x 200mm LED fan | Modified CoolerMaster Masterliquid 240

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Compleatly missed this piece of news but I did find his blog ; )
    http://richardsreactor.blogspot.com/
    Loonym...You are missed.

The element of one

Breathe me in
    Breathe me in

I disbelieve in separation. I close my eyes to see you.
    This is for you, everything I am. This is for you, take it from me.
    I, I disbelieve separation. I close my eyes
    there's no escaping me
    This is for you, everything I am. This is for you, take it from me.
    In your heart in your soul. I perceive rejuvenation

Breathe me in. I am forever. Deep within I am eternal.

I will return to you. I am with you always. I will never turn away from you.