Thread: SSD advice please... 240 Vertex 3 OEM

SSD advice please... 240 Vertex 3 OEM

I am looking to get a SSD in the 240-256 gb range. I can get a 240 gb OCZ Vertex 3 OEM for $375 after a rebate. I am not exactly sure how it differs from the retail version, but I think it uses different NAND than the retail Vertex 3 so it is a little slower.

I was worried with the drive having different components from the retail I wouldn't be able to use firmware updates, but OCZ says the drive can be updated like the retail version.

I've heard a lot of horror stories with ssds lately, but I haven't really paid close attention. Should I buy this drive? I was going to buy it because it is so much cheaper than any other sata3 drive I could find around this capacity, but I want to make sure it isn't a poor choice.

Thanks

Xtreme Member
    It's very likely the only difference between OEM and retail is packaging and warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by danielkza View Post
    It's very likely the only difference between OEM and retail is packaging and warranty.
    The rated speeds are different. This forum post says it uses Toshiba NAND: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...5SAT3-240G.oem

I am really worried about the reliability though. The speed difference isn't really an issue for me. I've read about Vertex 3s having a lot of issues... but they have been out awhile now I think. Has OCZ fixed a lot of the initial problems with the drive? This will be the main drive on my system so I want to try to avoid buying a can of worms if that is what I am looking at.

Banned
    I would avoid OCZ SSDs if you don't like problems and hassles.