Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asrock bashes Asus and Gigabyte over PCI-e 3.0

Champion

Asrock bashes Asus and Gigabyte over PCI-e 3.0

Slide from the Asrock presentation, it pretty much says it all. Asrock PCI-e 3.0 motherboards should have availability very soon, they are the first with PCI-e 3.0 on the market even if there are no PCI-e 3.0 cards out yet.

From lab501

Xtreme Member
    Funny. I though Asrock was owned in someway by ASUS.

They are. ASUS is their parent company.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

They separated from ASUS some time last year or the year before.

Xtreme Addict
    Huh... so teenagers are working for ASRock marketing department now?

Thanks.. I'll buy my stuff from a more grown up company.
    Computer: i7 2600k @ 4.7Ghz | Asus P8P67 Evo | Corsair LP 16gb 1600CL9 | Silver Arrow | Essence STX | Crucial m4 128gb | Silverstone Raven 3|

Video: 2x Sapphire 6950 Toxic 2gb @ 6970 Switch @ 880 / 1350 | Asus VG248QE |

Audio: ODAC+O2 => JH|13 Pro | STX => ATH-AD700X / Audioengine A5

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by xBanzai89 View Post
    Funny. I though Asrock was owned in someway by ASUS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    They are. ASUS is their parent company.
    Since 2007-2008 when Pegatron and ASUS seperated, ASRock also broke away from ASUS...they are no longer related whatsoever...
    Smile

Xtreme Guru
    I really hope this doesn't devlove into a pissing contest where even more manufacturers will jump onto the non-native PCI-E 3.0 support train.

At this point and for the forseeable future, PCI-E 3.0 "support" is nothing more than junk marketing.

I am Xtreme
    Reminds me of USB3 marketing. Or should I say "true USB3".
    Where courage, motivation and ignorance meet, a persistent idiot awakens.

Xtreme Member
    Hmm what have Asrock got to shout about pci-e 3.0 interface and nothing to actually put into it oh and how could I forget Fatality whoopee.
    EVGA X58 Classified
    Intel Core i7 980X @ 4ghz
    EVGA 590 GTX x2 Quad SLI
    Corsair Dominator DDR3 12GB PC3-12800C8
    Western Digital 150 GB Velociraptor
    Corsair AX1200
    Asus Xonar Xense
    Custom Watercooling
    Lian Li Pc-P80 Armoursuit

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by massman View Post
    Reminds me of USB3 marketing. Or should I say "true USB3".
    But this time they have a real feature in their hands while the other two companies haven't got.

Quote Originally Posted by Bojamijams View Post
    Huh... so teenagers are working for ASRock marketing department now?

Thanks.. I'll buy my stuff from a more grown up company.
    Actually I would say that ASRock gives you some nice boards with everything at its right place at a balanced price...so I don't know what is the "grown" about.

@gatecrasherlok: for someone that buys a board in the next weeks is perfect, you just need a new CPU next year to get a performance upgrade
    TRUE Lapped - Intel Core i7 2600k 4,7Ghz - ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 - Nvidia GTX 1080 FE - 16Gb Crucial 2133 Mhz CL9 1,51v - Crucial M4 256Gb - Crucial MX300 1050Gb - Corsair AX850 - Fractal Define R3

I am Xtreme
    No offense Asrock but I have a G1. Sniper 2 that has PCI-E 3.0 and its sitting right here. I was told available by end of month. I tried it out today http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1936659

Xtreme Guru
    Maybe someone can explain where all of this extra bandwidth is coming from?

The Sandy Bridge CPU itself has the lanes necessary for a PCI-E 2.0 x16 link @ 16GB/s. The PCI-E 3.0 x16 link on the other hand delivers over 30GB/s of bandwidth. Are ASRock and Gigabyte just conjuring this out of thin air?

Currently, I am not aware of any PCI-E 3.0 certified bridge chips so you can forget about official PCI-SIG certification if either company goes that way. And without official certification, I'd never, ever buy a product since none of the failsafe checks are guaranteed to be included.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by sin0822 View Post
    No offense Asrock but I have a G1. Sniper 2 that has PCI-E 3.0 and its sitting right here. I was told available by end of month. I tried it out today http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1936659
    Still with the ugly heatsink?Just a question...it would look nicer with an heatsink like the X58A-OC but in a smaller version
    TRUE Lapped - Intel Core i7 2600k 4,7Ghz - ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 - Nvidia GTX 1080 FE - 16Gb Crucial 2133 Mhz CL9 1,51v - Crucial M4 256Gb - Crucial MX300 1050Gb - Corsair AX850 - Fractal Define R3

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post

The Sandy Bridge CPU itself has the lanes necessary for a PCI-E 2.0 x16 link @ 16GB/s. The PCI-E 3.0 x16 link on the other hand delivers over 30GB/s of bandwidth. Are ASRock and Gigabyte just conjuring this out of thin air?

Currently, I am not aware of any PCI-E 3.0 certified bridge chips so you can forget about official PCI-SIG certification if either company goes that way. And without official certification, I'd never, ever buy a product since none of the failsafe checks are guaranteed to be included.
    it's explained in their slide - pcie gen 3.0 is going to be supported by Ivy Bridge CPUs - Using a Sandy Bridge CPU decreases link speed to pcie 2.0 so this stuff is 100% marketing right now
    Core i7 2600k|HD 6950|8GB RipJawsX|2x 128gb Samsung SSD 830 Raid0|Asus Sabertooth P67
    Seasonic X-560|Corsair 650D|2x WD Red 3TB Raid1|WD Green 3TB|Asus Xonar Essence STX

Core i3 2100|HD 7770|8GB RipJawsX|128gb Samsung SSD 830|Asrock Z77 Pro4-M
    Bequiet! E9 400W|Fractal Design Arc Mini|3x Hitachi 7k1000.C|Asus Xonar DX

Dell Latitude E6410|Core i7 620m|8gb DDR3|WXGA+ Screen|Nvidia Quadro NVS3100
    256gb Samsung PB22-J|Intel Wireless 6300|Sierra Aircard MC8781|WD Scorpio Blue 1TB

Harman Kardon HK1200|Vienna Acoustics Brandnew|AKG K240 Monitor 600ohm|Sony CDP 228ESD

Xtreme Addict
    I think asrock has enough info from intel to make ivy bridge-compatible boards

this is like the AM3+ motherboards happening before AM3+ chips. the chip guys and the board guys are just in communication all the time

Xtremely Bad Overclocker
    As(s)Rock screwing it up again - after a total fail presentation of OC during this years cebit with "wannabe oc'er" failtality they are now bringing up such shi(f)t - wonder how long it will last for them to dissappear from the market...

€: but just make sure your pci-e 3.0 slots are golden like your 1155-failboard....lol
    | '12 IvyBridge - "ticks different"... | AwardFabrik IvyBridge round I by SoF | AwardFabrik IvyBridge round II by angoholic & stummerwinter
    | '11 The SandyBridge madness... | AwardFabrik / Team LDK OC-Season 2011/2012 Opening Event
    | '10 Gulftown LaunchDay OC round up @ASUS RIIE | 3DM05 2x GPU WR LIVE @Cebit 2010 @ASUS MIIIE | SandyBridge arrived @ASUS P8P67

| '09 Foxconn Avenger | E8600 | Foxconn A79A-S | Phenom II 940 BE | LaunchDay Phenom II OC round up
    | '08 7.438s 1m LN2 | AMD 1m WR LN2 | 2nd AOCM | Phenom II teasing
    | '07 100% E2140 | 106.5% E2160 | 100% E4500 | 103% E4400 | 5508 MHZ E6850 | 7250 MHZ P4 641 126.5% by SoF and AwardFabrik Crew all on Gigabyte DS3P c? and LN2...
    | '06 3800+ X2 Manchester 0531TPEW noHS 3201MHZ c? | 3200+ Venice noHS 3279MHZ c? | Opteron 148 0536CABYE 3405MHZ c? all on Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI compressorcooled

| '05 3500+[NC], 3000+[W], 2x 3200+[W], 3500+[NC], 3200+[V] 0516GPDW

Quote Originally Posted by saaya
    sof pulled a fermi on all of us !!!

Xtreme X.I.P.

Maybe it's all really up to signal engines rather then physical wiring capability of handling higher bandwidth ?

I am Xtreme
    SKYMTL you forgot to add MSI to the list, as asrock and MSI really are pushing this, GB is just adding it silently, you don't see any GB press releases like asrock and MSI, just check out TPU lol.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by sin0822 View Post
    Wanted this board badly when it was rumoured to be released. Took way too long to come to reality though.

Xtreme Addict
    What AsRock claims when looking at slide a bit closer is that the PCI-E 3.0 Slots of Asus and Gigabyte boards will only run at the speeds of PCI-E 2.0 even with Ivy Bridge Cpus.

So its nothing more than a pissing contest about what potential pitfalls there may be for other manufacturers by then old products in the future.

Xtreme Addict
    Even if they did have PCI-E 3.0, Who the hell would buy an Asrock board over an Asus or Gigabyte. I sure as hell wouldnt.

The only thing Asrock ever did that was good was those motherboards a couple years back that provided compatability for DDR2 and DDR3 i think or something to that effect.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by naokaji View Post
    What AsRock claims when looking at slide a bit closer is that the PCI-E 3.0 Slots of Asus and Gigabyte boards will only run at the speeds of PCI-E 2.0 even with Ivy Bridge Cpus.

So its nothing more than a pissing contest about what potential pitfalls there may be for other manufacturers by then old products in the future.
    but they are wrong I think , i checked the MUX its a PCI-E 3.0 switch. For instance this site shows you which switch is used for PCi-E 3.0:
    http://tech.163.com/digi/11/0729/15/...0162OUT_5.html

GB is using that exact PCI-E 3.0 switch(P13PCIE) and that gives PCI-E 3.0 on every port, so Asrock's last port is PCI-E 2.0.

I do agree PCI-E 3.0 is no reason to buy a motherboard.
    Last edited by sin0822; 08-03-2011 at 02:31 PM.

Xtreme Mentor
    I'd never want an Asrock board over Asus, Gigabyte or MSI.

I wouldnt want any other brand either. The Fatality branding and that gamer guy are just purely annying too.

'ZOMG, lookie here, we gots a dedicated USB output for ze mouse!' Erm, so what? My keyboard has two gold plated USB connectors that go into the PC, and my mouse plugs into the keyboard and it works perfectly, what is so different about having a dedicated USB port just for the mouse???

Maybe the fatality guy gets some kind of self confidence boost that he can frag all the noobs 0.00001% faster or something with his special mouse port. In reality its like a hardware placebo effect.

Brilliant Idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by bhavv View Post
    I'd never want an Asrock board over Asus, Gigabyte or MSI.

'ZOMG, lookie here, we gots a dedicated USB output for ze mouse!' Erm, so what? My keyboard has two gold plated USB connectors that go into the PC, and my mouse plugs into the keyboard and it works perfectly, what is so different about having a dedicated USB port just for the mouse???

Maybe the fatality guy gets some kind of self confidence boost that he can frag all the noobs 0.00001% faster or something with his special mouse port. In reality its like a hardware placebo effect.
    Actually USB 3.0 which mainboards are swapping to even for mouse/keyboard peripherals does not support some certain things.

What the ASrock is doing is a hardware "mouserate" control, which any real gamer knows the benefits that be had from tuning your mouserate. This however can be done in software as well with some easy hax, Asrock is removing that need to hack.

No mouserate is not some placebo effect. Ask any hardcore serious gamer.
    Last edited by chew*; 08-03-2011 at 03:17 PM.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

I am Xtreme
    yea DPI settings right for the mouse?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast