Thread: Load Balance ?

Xtreme Member

Question Load Balance ?

Hi there !

Any Xtremer sucessfully managed to acquire true load balacing ?

Im trying to setup a Pfsense distro just for this but i can't get the max of the ISP's

I know that exists the Peplink, but they are expensive as hell !!

Anyone know anything more simple ?

Thanks
    How to be Xtreme with so little money ?

2600k@5ghz 16GB 1600 Gskill 8GBRLX GTX 480 SLi Corsair 1200w
    Lsi 9260-8i + 8 1tb Samsung HD103sj on RAID0 (yes im crazy and i have good airflow for those)

Xtreme CCIE
    I think one of these days I'm going to get around to making a sticky about load balancing, it seems to come up pretty regularly and we never end up saying anything new...

"Load Balancing" can mean a lot of things, and I have no idea which of them you're going for. For example, you could mean:
    - Per-application load balancing (eg. typical requests are: torrents use one ISP, regular traffic another)
    - Manual per-destination load balancing (eg. requests to websites A &B go out one ISP, all other traffic another)
    - Weighted round robin* (round robin, taking into account the bandwidth of ISP 1 and ISP 2)
    - Round Robin*
    *Note: There are a lot of ways to implement round robin.. per destination, per packet, per sequence, and other methods
    ... and realistically there are more options. I don't even want to get in to business models.

All of them have upsides and downsides, and varying degrees of complexity and requirements for implementation.

They also have different consequences. Let's look for example at basic Round Robin implementations using per-packet loading. If you go to a website and log in, the website is going to see your traffic coming from two different source IP addresses and probably would not work properly. Any application behind a firewall will fail immediately because stateful packet inspection would not pass packets from different sources.

Moving to what I do know of your problem, I would not expect to max out two ISP's (I'm guessing with torrents?) unless you're using weighted round robin. And even then there are potential complications.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the answer Serra !

Yes, its mainly for torrents ! Do you know any router (dual or tri-wan) that can Effectively do weighted round robin ?

At least 80-90% of the bandwith !?

Of course, it would need failover too, and if possible no-ip compatible

Let me spec what i need :

- Effectively use all the bandwith from the 2-3 isp's (probably cable modems or ADSL) (mainly for Utorrent)
    - Failover
    - Persistent HTTPS
    - No-ip for easen access for family members
    - A good firewall ? lol
    Last edited by -=DouglasteR=-; 08-02-2011 at 06:29 AM.
    How to be Xtreme with so little money ?

2600k@5ghz 16GB 1600 Gskill 8GBRLX GTX 480 SLi Corsair 1200w
    Lsi 9260-8i + 8 1tb Samsung HD103sj on RAID0 (yes im crazy and i have good airflow for those)

pfsense can do what you need it to do :

Effectively use all the bandwith from the 2-3 isp's (probably cable modems or ADSL) (mainly for Utorrent)

This will be tough as it will be one seed per line - it will be balanced just not necessarily equally - you upload will be benefit nicely - plus you can use QoS within
    pfsense to prioritise outbound tcp acks so your downloads wont suffer.

- Failover
    yup pfsense will do that two

- Persistent HTTPS

yup pfsense does this too

- No-ip for easen access for family members
    ????

- A good firewall ? lol

ipf is a great firewall

¿
    Quote Originally Posted by rogard View Post
    ipf is a great firewall
    pfsense isn't?

Yup - it is.

Which was what i was saying - ipf the great firewall that pfsense uses.