Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Enable FXAA in Dx9, Dx10 and Dx11 Games Now by some dude! # Version 9

Xtreme Member
    Moving AA to the cpu is exciting as, let`s face it, we all have spare cores doing nothing while our poor gpus get more and more stress they don`t need. It`s daft.
    The prospect of those idle cores doing physics and AA while the gpu renders gives me the goosebumps.

I am Xtreme
    has anyone tested to see how much cpu resources are being used before/after FXAA?
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Member
    It`s hard to see how AA could be implemented on the cpu. Is there really enough bandwidth to shuttle all the frames to main memory and back? Would be amazing though...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraggle View Post
    It`s hard to see how AA could be implemented on the cpu. Is there really enough bandwidth to shuttle all the frames to main memory and back? Would be amazing though...
    It shouldn't be a problem. Lets say one 1920x1200 uncompressed color frame is about 10 MB. So, considering that x16 PCI-e link bandwidth is 8GB/s, it is possible to get GPU->CPU->GPU transfer speed ~400 fps (about 2.5 ms per frame).
    BTW, Intel says that using MLAA algorithm it takes to CPU ~4.5 ms to process one frame at 1280x800 resolution and ~9.7 ms at 1920x1200 resolution (probably, including transfer time) and it doesn't depend on the scene complexity.
    Last edited by kl0012; 08-02-2011 at 03:17 PM.

Xtreme Member
    That`s good to know, here`s to proper free AA in the future!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraggle View Post
    That`s good to know, here`s to proper free AA in the future!
    I still have some doubts about the quality of post-processing AA algorithms. I would want to see proper quality comparisons of MSAA, MLAA and FXAA.

I am Xtreme
    its in the hardocp link

it does look promising, and according to the whitepaper they are making it happen before UI is rendered when the games themselves have FXAA
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Addict
    BETA 4 has been released!!!
    This does support FXAA in GTA IV, however there are some graphical issues and some problems with the lighting.
    You can download BETA 4 here
    Some Dude is working on this at a rate of knots..

GTA IV NO FSAA
    http://www.abload.de/img/gtaivnoaadodz.png

GTA IV FXAA BETA 4
    http://www.abload.de/img/gtaivbeta4tq4u.png

John
    Stop looking at the walls, look out the window

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kl0012 View Post
    I still have some doubts about the quality of post-processing AA algorithms. I would want to see proper quality comparisons of MSAA, MLAA and FXAA.
    To be sure but once the door`s open they`ll only improve. It`s promising anyway.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i have good news from some dude

I successfully injected FXAA shaders into some d3d10 applications (Unigine Heaven 2.5 DX10 and BioShock 1 Demo).
    Proof:

Maybe the method works on more games. Share your experience.
    http://hotfile.com/dl/125764390/1cef...dude_5.7z.html

There are also minor changes to the d3d9 method which fix some blackscreens.
    beta version 5! directx 9, directx 10, x86 binaties only! may be incompatible with any other form of antialiasing! can be combined with downsampling!

Install:
    If the game uses DirectX 9, put all files from the d3d9 directory into the directory containing the game executable.
    If the game uses DirectX 10, put all files from the d3d10 directory into the directory containing the game executable.

Uninstall: Remove the files.

Notes:
    Do not mix d3d9 and d3d10 the files.
    Install the latest DirectX runtime.

Keys:
    Insert : Enable/Disable FXAA
    Del : Screenshot

Xtreme Addict
    Thanks

BETA 0.5 works with GTA IV and EFLC
    HOWEVER there are some glitches :

1) The loading screens and menu are black so you are flying blind.
    2) The performance hit on my 295 is HUGE. (It is almost like SLI is not working with this).
    3) There are some jagglies on certain angles, but most of the image has FXAA applied and looks stunning.
    4) I think some lighting effects are missing/not quite working correctly still.

John
    Stop looking at the walls, look out the window

Xtreme Addict
    Do i really need this if i already have MLAA ?
    Intel Core i7 920 4 GHz | 18 GB DDR3 1600 MHz | ASUS Rampage II Gene | GIGABYTE HD7950 3GB WindForce 3X | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Altec Lansing MX5021 | Corsair HX750 | Lian Li PC-V354
    Super silent cooling powered by (((Noiseblocker)))

Xtreme Enthusiast
    What is the reason we have to use this or other methods to get AA working? Why is that so many new games from the past few years lack native AA and need people to force it through the driver's control panel or use third party apps like this one?

Is it a limitation in DX9+ (SM3+), a limitation in the newest game engines, or is just that developers don't care about adding native AA to their games knowing that it's just a port of the console version (Where just a handful of games use AA)?

The past few years have been the jaggiest I've ever seen...

Xtreme Member
    I know! They trumpet on about PhysX and tesselation but then release games without anti-aliasing as if we aren`t going to notice. Who cares about bleeding edge features if the whole thing is ruined by jaggies, I don`t know why it`s seen as acceptable by developers. Should be a standard core feature and enabled by default in every game by now.

Xtreme Addict
    I see little to no difference between those two. I can't see it worth any possible hits or compatibility issues

Quote Originally Posted by JohnZS View Post
    This does support FXAA in GTA IV, however there are some graphical issues and some problems with the lighting.

GTA IV NO FSAA

GTA IV FXAA BETA 4

John
    Computer: i7 2600k @ 4.7Ghz | Asus P8P67 Evo | Corsair LP 16gb 1600CL9 | Silver Arrow | Essence STX | Crucial m4 128gb | Silverstone Raven 3|

Video: 2x Sapphire 6950 Toxic 2gb @ 6970 Switch @ 880 / 1350 | Asus VG248QE |

Audio: ODAC+O2 => JH|13 Pro | STX => ATH-AD700X / Audioengine A5

Xtreme Enthusiast
    DX 10 on the latest versions? NICE.

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojamijams View Post
    I see little to no difference between those two. I can't see it worth any possible hits or compatibility issues
    Are you serious? That's a HUGE difference....
    Smile

Xtreme Addict
    I see this FXAA as a good MLAA alternative for NVIDIA users which don't get engine independent anti-aliasing. AMD users already have this. Will have to try it on my Intel GMA950 if it will work. That would be nice since this one doesn't support any kind of FSAA...
    Intel Core i7 920 4 GHz | 18 GB DDR3 1600 MHz | ASUS Rampage II Gene | GIGABYTE HD7950 3GB WindForce 3X | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Altec Lansing MX5021 | Corsair HX750 | Lian Li PC-V354

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by Pontos View Post
    What is the reason we have to use this or other methods to get AA working? Why is that so many new games from the past few years lack native AA and need people to force it through the driver's control panel or use third party apps like this one?

Is it a limitation in DX9+ (SM3+), a limitation in the newest game engines, or is just that developers don't care about adding native AA to their games knowing that it's just a port of the console version (Where just a handful of games use AA)?

The past few years have been the jaggiest I've ever seen...
    Consolitis

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Addict
    Look at the concrete/beams that have the flames behind it. Notice the jaggies in one and little to no jaggies in the other?
    That's called anti-aliasing.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    updated.. it works on some dx11 games now..

I have no DirectX 11 hardware, however I tried to just "blindly" write some code so you guys can test it. Try to use the files from the d3d10 folder with a d3d11 game and just tell me what happens.
    Dragon Age 2@Dx11: NoAA FXAA
    Dirt 2@Dx11: NoAA FXAA

Download
    Mirror

Xtreme Addict
    Again, I'm not seeing anything in that DA2 screenie, other then that FXAA pic is darker. If you have to stare at one spot for 5 seconds to notice the difference, is it worth it? You're going to be playing the game, you'll be in motion, you're not going to stare back into the mountains to see if there's jaggies (and I don't even see them on the mountains in the back) you'll be looking where your character is going.

Edit: Okay after starting at it for 10 seconds, I can see the sword on the main character's back is a weeee bit smoother. Woopedy doo.
    Last edited by Bojamijams; 08-04-2011 at 06:56 AM.
    Computer: i7 2600k @ 4.7Ghz | Asus P8P67 Evo | Corsair LP 16gb 1600CL9 | Silver Arrow | Essence STX | Crucial m4 128gb | Silverstone Raven 3|

Video: 2x Sapphire 6950 Toxic 2gb @ 6970 Switch @ 880 / 1350 | Asus VG248QE |

Audio: ODAC+O2 => JH|13 Pro | STX => ATH-AD700X / Audioengine A5

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Again, I'm not seeing anything in that DA2 screenie, other then that FXAA pic is darker. If you have to stare at one spot for 5 seconds to notice the difference, is it worth it? You're going to be playing the game, you'll be in motion, you're not going to stare back into the mountains to see if there's jaggies (and I don't even see them on the mountains in the back) you'll be looking where your character is going.

Edit: Okay after starting at it for 10 seconds, I can see the sword on the main character's back is a weeee bit smoother. Woopedy doo.
    Nitpicking. There are other games out there that benefits from FXAA. World of Tanks for example (thanks for mentioning this game, downloaded it right away and had a great fun).

Anyway, check the mountains. Still, you're right though, the differences are small for DA2.

Plus, it's free AA, what's there to refuse?

EDIT: I couldn't get it working for Dragon Age Origins (I'm sure it's a DX9 game, but I tried with both DX10 and DX9 dlls (not at the same time)). Or perhaps the differences are just too small.

Xtreme Addict
    Huh, i suggest you check your eyes :P The difference is like night and day even on static image, it would be a lot better on moving scene.
    Here are some tips where you can easily see massive difference:

- look at the ridges at the point where they meet the sky. Jaaaaggies all over. Gone with FXAA
    - weapon handles that point to the sky (on the back of characters). Smooth with FXAA
    - right most character arms. All jaggy but none with FXAA
    - hair of the middle character
    - weapon pointing to the sky of the left most character

These are the most noticeable things that would look awful in movement with all the pixels moving around. With such anti-aliasing method, very smooth objects.
    Though remember that this is just a post processing filter like MLAA and as such it heavily depends on the image itself. For example MLAA in GTA Vice City works with a feel of 32x FSAA during the day. But when its the night, edges look more rough and feel like only 2x FSAA. Also games that use heavy bloom that goes beyond polygon edges also make these methods less effective. I've seen the worst in Killing Floor using MLAA on Doom map and Gas Station where certain objects simply refuse to be processed. Yet, others look like they are smoothed to perfection. NFS Hot Pursuit 2010 as well. Most of cars are smoothed perfectly except white ones. if you take Bentley Continental Supersport in brilliant white, its roof will be badly aliased. If you take pretty much any other color, it will be fine.
    But still, without such post processing filters entire game would be badly jaggy where with MLAA or FXAA, at least large majority of the image is processed and filtered even though game alon doesn't support any FSAA methods in-game.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnZS View Post

GTA IV NO FSAA

GTA IV FXAA BETA 4

John
    The luminous from around the blub is removed when using fxaa. It's as if the blub is off but it's not.

Edit:
    After looking at the BC2 screenshots I noticed the name of rollo...?
    Last edited by Eastcoasthandle; 08-04-2011 at 07:35 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast