Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Enable FXAA in Dx9, Dx10 and Dx11 Games Now by some dude! # Version 9

Xtreme Enthusiast
    NV is also working on implementing this on the driver level. It's supposed to look better and work probably almost everywhere, not only in DX9 games. In the last two versions of the driver, it can be already enabled, although it only works in OGL, but that should change soon.

Xtreme Member
    I only tested in 2 games, Mass Effect 2, no drop on performance and it clearly "smoothed" some aliasing, although it also blurred a little bit the HUD and all the rest, but it was not to bad,
    also on "Richard Burns Rally" (a 2004 DX8 game), it worked nicely to, made a big difference compared to no AA and I didn't notice anything wrong,

the VGA used was a HD5750 at default clocks.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Damn, lot more people in here play WoT than I would have ever guessed.
    --Intel i5 3570k 4.4ghz (stock volts) - Corsair H100 - 6970 UL XFX 2GB - - Asrock Z77 Professional - 16GB Gskill 1866mhz - 2x90GB Agility 3 - WD640GB - 2xWD320GB - 2TB Samsung Spinpoint F4 - Audigy-- --NZXT Phantom - Samsung SATA DVD--(old systems Intel E8400 Wolfdale/Asus P45, AMD965BEC3 790X, Antec 180, Sapphire 4870 X2 (dead twice))

Xtreme Member
    Mass effect 1 and 2 runs flawless and the aliasing is minimal !!

No performance hit visible.
    How to be Xtreme with so little money ?

2600k@5ghz 16GB 1600 Gskill 8GBRLX GTX 480 SLi Corsair 1200w
    Lsi 9260-8i + 8 1tb Samsung HD103sj on RAID0 (yes im crazy and i have good airflow for those)

Xtreme Member
    OMG, im downloading Bioshock and Stalker now !!

Lets see if will blend with the foliage well !
    Last edited by -=DouglasteR=-; 08-01-2011 at 11:40 AM.
    How to be Xtreme with so little money ?

2600k@5ghz 16GB 1600 Gskill 8GBRLX GTX 480 SLi Corsair 1200w
    Lsi 9260-8i + 8 1tb Samsung HD103sj on RAID0 (yes im crazy and i have good airflow for those)

Xtreme Mentor
    I wonder why all you guys are so excited about this, it looks like crap, just like that whatever is called equivalent from ATI. Blurring the whole thing will never look good.
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryR, on John Fruehe (JF-AMD) View Post
    Pretty much. Plus, he's here voluntarily.

I am Xtreme
    Isn't it ironcical... ppl with ati cards use a 3rd party tool when there card already offers such a feature..

And it works in every game....

MLAA

NoAA
    Last edited by Hornet331; 08-01-2011 at 12:39 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Does not work with GTA IV, so it is kind of pointless for me
    I must admit I am impressed that someone HAS made this so more games can support it, however I am disappointed there is no love for GTA IV
    John
    Stop looking at the walls, look out the window

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    Isn't it ironcical... ppl with ati cards use a 3rd party tool when there card already offers such a feature..

MLAA

NoAA
    well, I tested both the ATI MLAA and "3rd party tool", and the result was similar, but not exactly the same... at least that was my impression (I only tested for a few minutes, and compared in one game, so...) the ATI MLAA seemed a little bit more blurred, I also find more interesting being able to turn it on and off just by pressing insert

Xtreme Member
    Damn, I was hoping GTA4 would work too. There is that brute force downsampling hack but you`ll need quite a bit of muscle to use it.

Xtreme Mentor

What are you doing with that crap in ME2, turn on proper AA in there! In a mere screenshot I can already tell how much worse it looks compared to MSAA
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryR, on John Fruehe (JF-AMD) View Post
    Pretty much. Plus, he's here voluntarily.

Xtreme Enthusiast

MLAA

NoAA
    My ATi card doesn't have such feature (4890) so it's perfectly okay for me to use this cool little tweak.

EDIT: Oh yea, doesn't work with Crysis Wars (as a consequence, doesn't work with MWLL)

Also, the readme says it works only on x86, but what it really means is that, it works only with 32-bit apps (I'm on Windows 7 x64).
    Last edited by blindbox; 08-01-2011 at 02:13 PM.

I am Xtreme
    Why should I use MLAA in a game that has build in AA?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by blindbox View Post
    Also, the readme says it works only on x86, but what it really means is that, it works only with 32-bit apps (I'm on Windows 7 x64).
    It means that this AA algorithm is pure CPU based (no GPU resources were used). FXAA is applied to a frame after it was formed by GPU (MLAA works similarly). The author provided DX9 library but basically it can work with every DX version.
    Last edited by kl0012; 08-01-2011 at 04:49 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraggle View Post
    Damn, I was hoping GTA4 would work too. There is that brute force downsampling hack but you`ll need quite a bit of muscle to use it.
    Yep

However I looked at the 3dcentre forum link provided by kaktus1907 and it appears that Some Dude is still working on his tool, so hopefully (fingers crossed and all that) he manages to produce a fix for GTA IV
    John

Xtreme Enthusiast
    MLAA and FXAA are similar, but there are some key differences. Performance hit when enabling MLAA is much larger for example and there are circumstances, where one looks better than the other.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnZS View Post
    Yep

However I looked at the 3dcentre forum link provided by kaktus1907 and it appears that Some Dude is still working on his tool, so hopefully (fingers crossed and all that) he manages to produce a fix for GTA IV
    John
    GTA 4 already has FXAA with the icenhancer 1.25 mod it only works with version 1.4 though.. it's very resource heavy too

Xtreme Addict
    Thanks kaktus1907
    Sadly I use 1.7 however I had a look at the mod and it appears to be using Boris' ENB series to perform the FSAA via Downsampling. My GTX 295 hates that as downsampling renders the image at a higher resolution than what is displayed. for example 1920*1200 is rendered at 3840*2400

Thanks anyway as the graphics look amazing

Hopefully FXAA is possible but for now we have to rely on downsampling.

John

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by eXa View Post
    Because its not... ((CPU Based))
    Quote Originally Posted by kl0012 View Post
    It means that this AA algorithm is pure CPU based (no GPU resources were used). FXAA is applied to a frame after it was formed by GPU (MLAA works similarly). The author provided DX9 library but basically it can work with every DX version.
    I am confused. Is this CPU or GPU based AA in game?
    Aaron___________________________Wife________________________ HTPC
    intel i7 2600k_____________________AMD5000+ BE @ 3ghz___________AMD4850+ BE @ 2.5ghz
    stock cooling______________________CM Vortex P912_______________ Foxconn A7GM-S 780G
    AsRock Extreme 4_________________ GB GA-MA78GM-S2H 780G_______OCZ SLI 2gb PC6400
    4gb 1600 DDR3___________________ OCZ Plat 2GB PC6400___________Avermedia A180 HDTV tuner
    MSI 48901gb 950/999______________Tt Toughpower 600w___________ Saphire 4830
    Corsair HX620____________________ inwin allure case___________ ___ Coolmax 480w
    NZXT 410 Gunmetal________________Acer 23" 1080p________________ LiteOn BD player
    X2gen 22" WS
    ________________ ________________________________ nMediaPC 1000B case

Xtreme Enthusiast
    FXAA was already in F3AR and DNF, done by NVIDIA, so it has to be GPU based.

Xtreme Member
    I was thinking same thing, I thought it would be rare to see WoT mention once in a thread, but multiple times made me happy

Anyone got screen shots of WoT with it on and off?
    Motherboard: GigaByte P67UD4 f6 | CPU: Intel 2500k 4.5ghz 1.26v | Memory: GSkill 2x4gb @ 1600mhz 1.34v | PSU: SeaSonic X650 Gold 650W | Video: AMD 6970 Koolance water block 880c/1450mem 1.035v | HDD: WD 640gb cavier black: VelociRaptor 300gb: Intel x-25 g2 80gb | Sound: Asus xonar D1 | OS: W7 64bit

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Vardant View Post
    FXAA was already in F3AR and DNF, done by NVIDIA, so it has to be GPU based.
    This wrapper works even on Intel's IGP. The performance hit in Torchlight is minimal (down from 95 fps to 88 fps).

Without wrapper:

With wrapper:
    Last edited by kl0012; 08-02-2011 at 08:41 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yeah, it is not vendor specific.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Power5 View Post
    I am confused. Is this CPU or GPU based AA in game?
    I suppose it is CPU based. The author by self said that he has a basic knowledge in shader programming (but probably good enough to know how to call wrapper function from shader code). There is also good article about how to implement MLAA on CPU with minimum performance degradation.
    http://software.intel.com/en-us/arti...pu-to-the-cpu/
    Since both, MLAA and FXAA are post-processing techniques (similar algorithms), I guess it is much easier to implement it on CPU, then writing GPU specific code.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    An important aspect of FXAA to note is that it is compatible with NVIDIA and AMD GPUs. In his blog, Mr. Lottes answers the "Why FXAA?" question with the following:

Wanted something which handles sub-pixel aliasing better than MLAA, something which didn't require compute, something which runs on DX9 level hardware, and something which runs in a single full-screen pixel shader pass. Basically the simplest and easiest thing to integrate and use.

So does FXAA use DirectCompute?
    No, FXAA is just a post-processing shader. It is independent of any GPU Compute API, which was Lottes goal. FXAA is to be an efficient alternative to traditional anti-aliasing where MSAA is either impractical (too costly) or ineffective (shader aliasing) while having broad compatibility and simple integration. While we can neither speculate nor comment on the ease of integration, we can measure performance and examine image quality.
    Note, there are also many different versions of FXAA: FXAA 1 (which was described in the NVIDIA DX11 SDK white paper you mentioned), FXAA 2 which was designed for the Xbox 360, and FXAA 3 of which there are two algorithms, FXAA 3 Quality for the PC and FXAA 3 Console designed for the Xbox 360 and PS3. Performance has changed between versions: FXAA 3 has some major performance advantages over FXAA 1. A typical 720p video frame can be processed with FXAA 3 Quality in around 0.21 milliseconds on a GTX 480 with the default settings in DX11. Performance will also vary between DX9 and DX11 for the same settings (DX11 being faster due to gather4 and programmable offsets).

The FXAA in FEAR3 is based on FXAA 1. FXAA 1 was also used in Duke Nukem Forever, Age of Conan, Crysis 2 (with their temporal 2x supersampling) and Brink.
    http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/...ing_technology

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast